Training

LarrysRightFoot

LarrysRightFoot

I'm guessing Cathro and MacPhee didn't take it today.

Are any posters going tomorrow to watch? If you are would be interesting to hear some observations please.

LarrysRightFoot

I saw the last 10 minutes yes they took training

Anything of note to report?

Jambof3tornado

Nothing interesting he stopped the game a few times to get points across then got back on with it.

Did connor sammon bring the new gaffer a big shiny red apple?

Nothing interesting he stopped the game a few times to get points across then got back on with it.

And did Tony pay a blind bit of notice ? :qqb004:

Funny you mention that. When he was appointed to Newcastle with McLaren I was talking to a guy who is in my team from Newcastle and a huge Newcastle fan about the appointment of Cathro.

He hadn't heard of him prior to him coming and I was explaining the back ground of getting employed at United and going to Portugal and then Valencia etc.

His comments to me was the talk in Newcastle at the time was how he would often stop games of football at training to discuss with players why they made a decision to pass/shoot etc and what other options were available that would have been better etc.

Funny you mention that. When he was appointed to Newcastle with McLaren I was talking to a guy who is in my team from Newcastle and a huge Newcastle fan about the appointment of Cathro.

He hadn't heard of him prior to him coming and I was explaining the back ground of getting employed at United and going to Portugal and then Valencia etc.

His comments to me was the talk in Newcastle at the time was how he would often stop games of football at training to discuss with players why they made a decision to pass/shoot etc and what other options were available that would have been better etc.

Not incredibly innovative to be honest.

Just breaking the boys in gently.

What they just played a game of football??

Doesn't sound very innovative....

:)

Laptop must have been on charge.

:verysmug:

Radical and Innovative are not words he uses about himself. It's others who say it. According to the man himself, he just changes things.

So, it's already a worn out weegie attempt at humour. Let's leave it to them to make fools of themselves. No need to join unless you're Boydy in disguise.

Another Robbo

Laptop must have been on charge.

:verysmug:

I'm sure he'll have them dribbling round Mac Books by tomorrow :)

Radical and Innovative are not words he uses about himself. It's others who say it. According to the man himself, he just changes things.

So, it's already a worn out weegie attempt at humour. Let's leave it to them to make fools of themselves. No need to join unless you're Boydy in disguise.

Yep. No point springing to his defence when 'outsiders' give him grief but then also holding him to the entirely imaginary standards some of them have used as a stick to beat him with.

I think the laptop stuff is funny, though. :biggrin:

I really hope we're not about to scrutinise everything the guys does right down to the n'th degree.

The guy took training. He stopped the game a couple of times.

Its hardly cause to be picking your jaw up off the ground from the shock of it all is it.

The guys going to have to changes things slowly - its Wednesday today and we've a massive game in 3 days time. Coming in at this stage and changing it up completely probably wouldn't do anyone any good.

I'd expect this week to be about meeting the players, introductions etc without changing much at all. Find his feet a bit this week and get his first game under his belt at the weekend - I'd imagine the 'real' changes (if there are any) will start from next week.

LarrysRightFoot

I really hope we're not about to scrutinise everything the guys does right down to the n'th degree.

The guy took training. He stopped the game a couple of times.

Its hardly cause to be picking your jaw up off the ground from the shock of it all is it.

The guys going to have to changes things slowly - its Wednesday today and we've a massive game in 3 days time. Coming in at this stage and changing it up completely probably wouldn't do anyone any good.

I'd expect this week to be about meeting the players, introductions etc without changing much at all. Find his feet a bit this week and get his first game under his belt at the weekend - I'd imagine the 'real' changes (if there are any) will start from next week.

I agree - I was just wondering how he was received by the players - as we know some people are telling us the players won't be receptive.

Was also just wondering if there was anything radically different to what Robbie had them doing - early days though.

MacPhee was at Ibrox last Saturday. Hopefully he's got some useful analysis to share.

Cool

Was he there as a fan or guest?

In the MacPhee interview on STV he mentioned something about discussions had been ongoing for about a week/week and a half. Now not sure if thang was us or the SFA however last Saturday he must have known we wanted him so good chance he was scouting them

MacPhee was at Ibrox last Saturday. Hopefully he's got some useful analysis to share.

And at tynecastle against rangers last Wednesday.

Voice of reason

Ian Cathro's training will not be radical - he's said than himself. The drills will be variations of those done on football pitches up and down the country. Football is a simple game and you can only innovative so much within it. It's his delivery of the session that will be unusual; how he connects with players, how he paints the picture, how well he gets to know them as individuals. Oddly enough, all the things Kris Boyd would claim he's useless at!

Archived