Tom English

sam?

gorgie rd eh11

That's not remotely true. He was lambasted as a pitiful excuse for a journalist for a long time on here, probably not so coincidentally when there was a wee bit more for the neutral to criticise about our club.

I can remember him going a wee bit over the top once, maybe twice, but he was far from a bad journalist then and isn't particularly different now.

Still a prick then.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STV news when Cathro was asked who'll pick the team. I will. I'm the kind of guy who, if there's help I'll take it. Funnily enough the impartial BBC took out the "I will"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how long he's been writing about football. I definitely don't think it has always been his primary subject, and I'm fairly sure I remember him mostly doing rugby or similar not all that long ago. The zombie article was one of the first times I really noticed him and I have a vague memory of wondering if he was just trying to make a name for himself or something.

I like Tom English. Says it as it is. Willie Miller on the other hand, is an absolute roaster. 

This, What an arse Miller was - like Tom English said there was nothing wrong with Cathro he doesn't want to set limits.

It surely a negative setting limits, most of us are aware that we wont be challenging for the league anytime soon but there is no harm in having a positive outlook & however improbable it may be with Celtic's budget it's not impossible.

Thanks for the link JJ

Thats a shocker! From what I remember of English is that he always licked the backsides of Hibs and slated Hearts at every opportunity!

I used to not really appreciate a lot of his chat but over the last maybe 18months iv found him very fair and astute and quite often in direct contrast to most of the peddled rubbish scottish media comes out with.

This morning I listened to last night's sportsound in which Tom English was speaking. I thought he was great. The way he dismantled Kris Boyd and Jamie Fullarton's comments was excellent. Richard Gordon's lack of comment immediately following painted a clear picture of the BBC agenda on this, and of the wider media pandering to the establishment. Richard Gordon, as the anchor, would not still be in a job if he called things out like Tom English is doing, so it puts him in a difficult position personally. 

This, What an arse Miller was - like Tom English said there was nothing wrong with Cathro he doesn't want to set limits.

It surely a negative setting limits, most of us are aware that we wont be challenging for the league anytime soon but there is no harm in having a positive outlook & however improbable it may be with Celtic's budget it's not impossible.

Thanks for the link JJ

In the same Sportsound session last night Scott McDonald challenged Willie Miller by asking him what he would alternatively have liked IC to say. Miller responded by not answering but saying every Hearts fan now expects Hearts to beat Celtic, win the League etc. Tom English said don't be silly. Miller said Oh you're talking for Hearts fans now Tom. No he said, just crediting them with some intelligence. They know the score.

Maybe if Derek McInnes had not allowed his squad to have their own always-in-in-the-shadows-of-the-OF limits then they wouldn't have rolled over in the last 2 weeks like a puppy having their tummy tickled.

Can't wait for Saturday. Could be season defining like Sow bursting through to score the winner first game of the Championship season.

And if we don't get a result, hey, IC has only had half a week to work with the squad.

Sky's the limit!

Cynical.

But true

Actually cynical and rubbish. We all know what a couple of posters on here have against Tom English. It is because a few years ago he had a go at our wee band of loyalist bigots. I think he went a bit over the top at the time and should have spent more time on the much bigger problem through at ibrox but nothing he said was untrue. Tom English is the best guy on Scottish Radio at the moment (not hard I know)

August Landmesser

Actually cynical and rubbish. We all know what a couple of posters on here have against Tom English. It is because a few years ago he had a go at our wee band of loyalist bigots. I think he went a bit over the top at the time and should have spent more time on the much bigger problem through at ibrox but nothing he said was untrue. Tom English is the best guy on Scottish Radio at the moment (not hard I know)

:spoton:

Geoff Kilpatrick

No, no he didn't. He had a crack at the whole support.

******* hate Richard Gordon. Prick

I wouldn't give that **** the steam off of my pish.

Sheep-shagging ######.

:calmdown:

Why the seethe about Richard Gordon???  He always comes across as decent and articulate.  No need to call him names

Geoff Kilpatrick

Why the seethe about Richard Gordon??? He always comes across as decent and articulate. No need to call him names

The same prick who wanted Miko hounded out of Scotland for that dive? Welt.

It's probably been said before, but I think Scottish football absolutely needs an alternative, national broadcast media channel dedicated to football matters outside of bloody parkhead and ibrox. It should be staffed by people such as Jim Spence who are interested in the health of the wider game in Scotland. It shouldn't be attached to any one location but should certainly not be based in Glasgow.

His Shaun of the Dead article made no mention whatsoever of loyalist factions in our support and was a massive generalised and insulting sweep at the Hearts support in general (immediately following a one man pitch invasion by the laddie that had a swing at Riordan)

No, no he didn't. He had a crack at the whole support.

No he didn't. What he did do was generalise. He's a smart guy so I don't imagine for a minute he was talking about the whole support. At that time we did have an unacceptable percentage of fans who crossed the line. Thanks to Ann, who's made it clear these eejits won't be tolerated, we are a changed club now and I think if you took time to speak to TE about it he would applaud the steps we've  taken since then.

The same prick who wanted Miko hounded out of Scotland for that dive? Welt.

I used to enjoy Richard Gordon's comments (pre-Miko) because he seemed to have a fresh outlook and I didn't see him as being part of the Glasgow establishment. In many ways now though, he appears to have sold his soul, specifically the way he's heard pandering to the celtic rhetoric. It is his job though, to be an old-firm apologist. We all have choices in life though. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

No he didn't. What he did do was generalise. He's a smart guy so I don't imagine for a minute he was talking about the whole support. At that time we did have an unacceptable percentage of fans who crossed the line. Thanks to Ann, who's made it clear these eejits won't be tolerated, we are a changed club now and I think if you took time to speak to TE about it he would applaud the steps we've taken since then.

Where you get this idea that he was only targeting the bigots in the Shaun of the Dead article is bizarre. Lick his arse if you want because he's writing nice things now. He's a hack and worthy of contempt.

Where you get this idea that he was only targeting the bigots in the Shaun of the Dead article is bizarre. Lick his arse if you want because he's writing nice things now. He's a hack and worthy of contempt.

You're the one that has my contempt, for repeatedly posting nonsense

TE has won my respect for telling uncomfortable truths about many things -- including the misbehaviours of Hearts fans and of Celtic fans and, now, Ian Cathro

Hagar the Horrible

Why the seethe about Richard Gordon???  He always comes across as decent and articulate.  No need to call him names

After Miko-gate  he can well you know what, but him and Miller came accross as a right pair of welts, Miller telling us what we should be thinking about cathros comments, almost wanting us to lambast Cathro for having ambitions, sorry NO Cathro is telling me what I demand to hear I want to be sold the dream, I want to see my team backing those dreams, I dont want to be stuck in the 80's like the sheeps manager, and so what if Miller was a good player in the 80's, the game has changed so much, he might not get a game now and its full of duds.  Cathro has a greater wealth  of experience than miller the failed coach,   Its clear even before a ball has been kicked there is a lot of people who want this to fail,  Tell you what I am getting right behind the guy, I expect our players to do so as well?

I dont always agree with English, but at least I respect him, sometimes it takes a guy from outside the bubble to let us see ourselves as others see us.

Also yes we are trying something different?  Celtic have one of the best managers in the country, Aberdoom get praised for whatshizname, yet the BBC pundits think we are something to ridicule?  When did Abersheep or the green and grey gods have home sell outs in the league against bottom six teams?  in the last 3 years how many home sell outs (average) have the 3 of us had?  in fact if you compare this against all UK, we might even be in the top ten  (yes our stadia is smaller?) but I am talking about home sell outs?  we need a bigger boat, thats something to boast about and Cathro will sell out those extra seats!!!!

michael_bolton

Just listened to the Sportsound part with him, McDonald and Miller. Hadn't listened to Sportsound for a while. Had genuinely forgotten how thick as mince Miller is.

Deary me.

I used to enjoy Richard Gordon's comments (pre-Miko) because he seemed to have a fresh outlook and I didn't see him as being part of the Glasgow establishment. In many ways now though, he appears to have sold his soul, specifically the way he's heard pandering to the celtic rhetoric. It is his job though, to be an old-firm apologist. We all have choices in life though. 

Like others, especially the sheep but also some on here, his hatred for sevco has pushed him into that dark corner of admiring celtic.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You're the one that has my contempt, for repeatedly posting nonsense

TE has won my respect for telling uncomfortable truths about many things -- including the misbehaviours of Hearts fans and of Celtic fans and, now, Ian Cathro

Glad to be of service. To me you're an irrelevance rather than contemptible but each to their own.

Incidentally, I agree with him over Cathro. It doesn't mean that you need to have a Damascene conversion over your opinion of him.

michael_bolton

It's probably been said before, but I think Scottish football absolutely needs an alternative, national broadcast media channel dedicated to football matters outside of bloody parkhead and ibrox. It should be staffed by people such as Jim Spence who are interested in the health of the wider game in Scotland. It shouldn't be attached to any one location but should certainly not be based in Glasgow.

BBC Scotland actually does pretty well in covering Scottish football as a whole (the radio anyway). They have a pretty broad spectrum of views expressed and often dedicate large chunks of their shows to non-Old Firm sides. They've certainly spent a lot of time covering us in the last few seasons. Hibs too. I've listened to extensive discussions of goings on at Falkirk, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, ICT, Aberdeen... Pretty much everyone.

Their main anchor is a well-known Aberdeen fan. Their main lead-in show is presented by supporters of St Johnstone and Motherwell, one of whom regularly rips right in to the new Rangers live on air. They have a broad range of pundits for live matches including ex-players from all kinds of clubs.

Of course Rangers and Celtic get a lot of coverage. They're the two best-supported clubs in the country. But I think Sportsound does a decent job of covering the game as a whole and generally discussing what's going on in Scottish football, whatever clubs are involved.

It gets a lot of unfair criticism. Some of their employees are rubbish, of course, but in general I think Sportsound does a decent job. I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

What I fail to understand about Miller's rant about 'limits' is that if he himself as a player under Alex Ferguson had set limits he would have won feck all. Ferguson won everything because he dared to dream. He installed belief in his players that they could go to Glasgow and win. Miller would now appear to believe that Ferguson was wrong and that he shouldn't have had these dreams.

He actually praised McInnes for not having any ambition. McInnes is a loser, Miller it would now appear is also a loser. Incredible. 

We may not win anything under Ian Cathro, but we will bloody well give it our best.

Willie Miller's last great professional insight about Hearts was that Bjorn Johnsen was hopeless. About half a dozen starts later Steve McLaren admits he was at Tynecastle to watch Johnsen among others.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Willie Miller's last great professional insight about Hearts was that Bjorn Johnsen was hopeless. About half a dozen starts later Steve McLaren admits he was at Tynecastle to watch Johnsen among others.

Let's remember that Willie Miller took Aberdeen to the bottom of the league. Clueless arsehole.

Rudolf's Mate

STV news when Cathro was asked who'll pick the team. I will. I'm the kind of guy who, if there's help I'll take it. Funnily enough the impartial BBC took out the "I will"

Pretty bad from BBC but not a shock!

Just listened to the Sportsound part with him, McDonald and Miller. Hadn't listened to Sportsound for a while. Had genuinely forgotten how thick as mince Miller is.

Deary me.

Angry and thick is quite the combo. I remember him having quite a go at Robbo last year. Robbo took it in his stride.

Richard Gordon has quite the man crush on WM.

Seymour M Hersh

English said some despicable things about Hearts Fans when Vlad was in charge. He can **** off with his arse licking now.

I think you need to be thicker skinned. Yes he was out of order with some of his chat (whilst at the Scotsman, is there a correlation?) but since he moved to the BBC he's been almost supportive of the club.

Seymour M Hersh

Richard Gordon is an utter welt.

He knows feck all about the workings of our club and resorts to giggling like a wee lassie.

For a Dons fan he sure does enjoy a Celtic Wankfest into the bargain, probably because it's a nice meal ticket for basically doing feck all.

He has no substance.

He is another Ersecheek pandering shitehawk and I wouldn't piss in his ears if his brains were on fire.

Decent journalists like Jim Spence had the courage of his convictions and told BBC Glasgow to ram it after the Sevco fiasco.

Gordon just sits there like a spare prick at a wedding.

Can't find anything to disagree with there. And I'd like to add his behaviour re Miko and the penalty against Scotland was utterly shameful and as unprofessional as it can get.

Seymour M Hersh

Glad to be of service. To me you're an irrelevance rather than contemptible but each to their own.

Incidentally, I agree with him over Cathro. It doesn't mean that you need to have a Damascene conversion over your opinion of him.

It's Sportscene not Damascene.

:spoton:

The idiots guide to putting other posters down: use the bigot card, even if it is way, way off the mark and completely untrue.

August Landmesser

The idiots guide to putting other posters down: use the bigot card, even if it is way, way off the mark and completely untrue.

Why so defensive BB?

Why so defensive BB?

I am not being defensive. I dislike Tom English because of what he wrote about Hearts supporters, it wasn't just about the loyalist element, it was about Hearts supporters as a group. To say that some people dislike him due to him criticising the loyalist element of our support is just completely untrue and a lazy put down.

Bazzas right boot

:2thumbsup: 

Bazzas right boot

Let's remember that Willie Miller took Aberdeen to the bottom of the league. Clueless arsehole.

lol, forgot about that, quite an achievement.

Good to see BBC Radio Scotland demonstrating the BBC's Charter of accuracy and impartiality in its Sportssound programme

August Landmesser

I am not being defensive. I dislike Tom English because of what he wrote about Hearts supporters, it wasn't just about the loyalist element, it was about Hearts supporters as a group. To say that some people dislike him due to him criticising the loyalist element of our support is just completely untrue and a lazy put down.

I've just re-read the piece, you're right and I'm sorry for the mistaken accusation.

The piece was about general bad behaviour from certain Hearts supporters (Rangers, Celtic & Hibs fans get a passing nod for their behaviour too - and in this article from January; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/35327998 Rangers  & Celtic both get called out on IRA chants & Billy Boys), rather than about loyalist/sectarian behaviour.

However, I see little wrong with most of that article - at that time, there were disciplinary problems all over the place at Tynie (on & off-pitch). He wouldn't have been doing his job as a journalist if he hadn't called it out. TE is a decent journo who hands out credit where it's due, and apportions blame where it's due as well. In 2009 a certain percentage of our support were acting the maggot and were rightly called out on it. Now, we've got the club sorted, appointed a new progressive coach, and are making great strides on and off the pitch, and TE is rightly giving us credit for that.

I just suspect that there are some folk on here (and elsewhere in the wider world) who maybe take against Tom English a little too vociferously for reasons beyond football.

Maybe they disagree with his opinions on Munster rugby... 

What I fail to understand about Miller's rant about 'limits' is that if he himself as a player under Alex Ferguson had set limits he would have won feck all. Ferguson won everything because he dared to dream. He installed belief in his players that they could go to Glasgow and win. Miller would now appear to believe that Ferguson was wrong and that he shouldn't have had these dreams.

He actually praised McInnes for not having any ambition. McInnes is a loser, Miller it would now appear is also a loser. Incredible.

We may not win anything under Ian Cathro, but we will bloody well give it our best.

His playing days are in the dim and distant past. Since then, he's failed dismally as a football manager, a director of football, and on multiple occasions as a chip shop manager. He's now failing miserably at being a decent pundit. All of that failure is bound to change a person.

He was at one time, a regular contributor on here, quite a good and supportive one at that, until he dirtied himself with the xenophobic attack on Miko.

He was at one time, a regular contributor on here, quite a good and supportive one at that, until he dirtied himself with the xenophobic attack on Miko.

I forgot he used to be on here! His attitude to Miko was a disgrace and so it's little wonder if he no longer posts here. 

I forgot he used to be on here! His attitude to Miko was a disgrace and so it's little wonder if he no longer posts here. 

We need to let it go....  And perhaps even invite him back to post on here

tartofmidlothian

BBC Scotland actually does pretty well in covering Scottish football as a whole (the radio anyway). They have a pretty broad spectrum of views expressed and often dedicate large chunks of their shows to non-Old Firm sides. They've certainly spent a lot of time covering us in the last few seasons. Hibs too. I've listened to extensive discussions of goings on at Falkirk, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, ICT, Aberdeen... Pretty much everyone.

Their main anchor is a well-known Aberdeen fan. Their main lead-in show is presented by supporters of St Johnstone and Motherwell, one of whom regularly rips right in to the new Rangers live on air. They have a broad range of pundits for live matches including ex-players from all kinds of clubs.

Of course Rangers and Celtic get a lot of coverage. They're the two best-supported clubs in the country. But I think Sportsound does a decent job of covering the game as a whole and generally discussing what's going on in Scottish football, whatever clubs are involved.

It gets a lot of unfair criticism. Some of their employees are rubbish, of course, but in general I think Sportsound does a decent job. I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

Fair post, I'd say.

Archived