Tom English

sam?

You should email that in.

Would be a waste of an email to be fair. They're never gonny highlight their own inadequacies. Not when it's easier to just point and laugh at others!!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a shocker! From what I remember of English is that he always licked the backsides of Hibs and slated Hearts at every opportunity!

Heh Jambonian --

I guess you missed an earlier thread in which English's recent comments on Hearts, including a speaker's gig at a supporters' dinner, led some people to speculate (tongue-in-cheek) that he should be invited to open the new stand. It wasn't serious but it would be funny if he did.

Today, Ewan Murray and Tom English have both been using the Cathro appointment to open fire on all of the sh*** that runs and dominates and wrecks Scottish football (see other threat on Murray). This is really good news in my opinion.

However Cathro works out, HMFC and Queen Ann are turning over a few apple-carts and at least holding out a little hope against the useless, Old Firm and GFA set-up that is in such a hopeless, terminal decline.

Heard the same old crap when Robbie came in and budgment day. They were wrong then and I think they'll be wrong now

This

How many of them went on about how unfair it was to sack Gary Locke, when he wasn't actually sacked, just wasn't given a new contract?  They they started all the unfounded guff about Neilson only getting the job because he would be Levein's puppet.

Already, at today's press conference, some journo asked Cathro whether it would be him or Levein who picked the team.  Cathro put the guy right in his place.  It seems there are still a lot of people out there who still don't understand, or choose not to understand, the DoF football role.

MacDonald Jardine

Heh Jambonian --

I guess you missed an earlier thread in which English's recent comments on Hearts, including a speaker's gig at a supporters' dinner, led some people to speculate (tongue-in-cheek) that he should be invited to open the new stand. It wasn't serious but it would be funny if he did.

Today, Ewan Murray and Tom English have both been using the Cathro appointment to open fire on all of the sh*** that runs and dominates and wrecks Scottish football (see other threat on Murray). This is really good news in my opinion.

However Cathro works out, HMFC and Queen Ann are turning over a few apple-carts and at least holding out a little hope against the useless, Old Firm and GFA set-up that is in such a hopeless, terminal decline.

Ewan Murray is a PHM.

Tom English will never be.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

J Cheever Loophole

Ewan Murray is a PHM.

Tom English will never be.

We're all forever slagging the SMSM for their bias to those pillars of bigotry and yet when one of them tries to fight our corner, he's not a PHM.

Murray may be a PHM and that's his only attribute.

Listening to that makes it all the more obvious that;

1/ Like the SFA and SPFL, the BBC Scotland football coverage is an old pals act with old ideas, unwilling and in many cases unable to change their mindset that Scottish football is nothing but Celtic and The Rangers with a few hangers-on,

2/ Willie Miller is a bitter, bitter man who should know better than to keep alive that notion. He lived through and was a main part of Aberdeen's greatest era but is now firmly entrenched in the camp that because Aberdeen can't challenge the Glasgow mafia then no-one can and no-one should,

3/ Pat Bonner is a slavering a**e, trotted out because he played for one of them, no opinion other than his beloved Celtic are great.

I was surprised how well Scott McDonald came over, one of those players who gets right up your nose during games but was quite fair in his comments and was at least willing to listen to Tom English's points and was complimentary about the appointment.

This time last year, you lot were slagging Tom English off.

He sticks up for what he believes in and suddenly he's a Hearts fan.

Look what happened when Vlad dared to say he was here to win the league. The media lost the plot and made it their personal mission to prove him wrong and disrupt him as mush as possible. Yeah he was a mental case but my good they done everything they could do upset him and prove him wrong.

English said some despicable things about Hearts Fans when Vlad was in charge. He can **** off with his arse licking now.

kingantti1874

This time last year, you lot were slagging Tom English off.

He sticks up for what he believes in and suddenly he's a Hearts fan.

Actually - bar the episode when he was clearly directed by his Scotsman editor I think this board has been nothing but complimentary to Tom English

Dagger Is Back

Sums up everything that we all know is wrong with Scottish football.

It will be a cold day in hell when I pay any attention to the likes of Miller, Bonner or some hack like Gordon.

I'm sure AB and CL couldn't give a flying **** what these pillars of the Scottish game feel. That in itself is good enough for me.

MacDonald Jardine

We're all forever slagging the SMSM for their bias to those pillars of bigotry and yet when one of them tries to fight our corner, he's not a PHM.

Murray is a very good journalist, Hearts fan or not.

Until recently English was up with the very worst of the Scottish media in his coverage of Hearts.

He now seems to have reinvented himself as a maverick outsider who calls out the old entrenched attitudes.

We'll see how long that lasts.

I suspect until he's offered another role in the MSM.

Until recently English was up with the very worst of the Scottish media in his coverage of Hearts.

He now seems to have reinvented himself as a maverick outsider who calls out the old entrenched attitudes.

Cynical.

But true

Actually - bar the episode when he was clearly directed by his Scotsman editor I think this board has been nothing but complimentary to Tom English

Agreed.  When he was working for the Hibsman he had an editorial line to follow.  H1b5 = good, Hearts = bad.

Frank Sidebottom

What rock did they drag Bonner out from under? There was a 20 year gap between his playing career finishing and his punditry career starting...

Bonner's quote was that maybe the old school coaches could be assisted by one of the new, modern coaches who "could work the computer quicker".

It's all about the computers these days, you see.

Tom English has been the most intelligent Sports Journalist on Radio Scotland for years now. Folk are too quick to snap at anything they deem anti Hearts and going by tonight, the same goes for anytime someone sticks up for Hearts.

Tom English has been the most intelligent Sports Journalist on Radio Scotland for years now. Folk are too quick to snap at anything they deem anti Hearts and going by tonight, the same goes for anytime someone sticks up for Hearts.

Aye aye, we get it, we should be less partisan on a hearts forum, you're better than all that, blah blah blah :D

J Cheever Loophole

Aye we'll see.

I think English has seen the light and the true state of our game.

MacDonald Jardine

Agreed. When he was working for the Hibsman he had an editorial line to follow. H1b5 = good, Hearts = bad.

Even if that is true what does it say about his journalistic credibility?

MacDonald Jardine

Aye we'll see.

I think English has seen the light and the true state of our game.

Took a while and a job loss though.

Aye aye, we get it, we should be less partisan on a hearts forum, you're better than all that, blah blah blah :D

I wasnae even talking about parmesan.

I just wish people would stop and think before going for all out outrage or all out praise.

Ricardo Shillyshally

I think TE just calls it fairly, which is really what these guys should be doing

It just seems refreshing because we are all used to the usual OF apologists with their Glasgow based agendas

kingantti1874

Agreed. When he was working for the Hibsman he had an editorial line to follow. H1b5 = good, Hearts = bad.

No surprise given he was working for vajillions

******* hate Richard Gordon. Prick

I used to like him, a non-OF fan anchoring national radio coverage of the national game, but having to talk about the OF non-stop has changed him.

How anyone who doesn't support them could get as excited as he does about Celtic in the CL is beyond me, way beyond playing to his audience.

I think TE just calls it fairly, which is really what these guys should be doing

It just seems refreshing because we are all used to the usual OF apologists with their Glasgow based agendas

He does call it as he sees it. It's just a shame he hasn't taken on the challenge of exposing the corruption in the corridors of power

MacDonald Jardine

It would be more impressive if he hadn't spent years being part of the problem.

MacDonald Jardine

I used to like him, a non-OF fan anchoring national radio coverage of the national game, but having to talk about the OF non-stop has changed him.

How anyone who doesn't support them could get as excited as he does about Celtic in the CL is beyond me, way beyond playing to his audience.

The Mikolainus business put me right off him.

What rock did they drag Bonner out from under? There was a 20 year gap between his playing career finishing and his punditry career starting...

Was thinking this myself.

Willie Millar confirming he is a scrotum sack. He's a dinosaur that should go and join the the others in far off Jurassic Park.

I wasnae even talking about parmesan.

I just wish people would stop and think before going for all out outrage or all out praise.

Good luck with that, but you're as well wishing for a tail!

Craig Gordons Gloves

I said last week that Fullarton was a penis, I was proven right with that.  You can also add the majority of 'pundits' to the list of penises.  Bonner, Miller, Chic, Billy Brown, Keith Jackson etc.

Only a few sound like they know what they actually are talking about - English, Scott McDonald, Mikey Stewart and sometimes Speirs.  Sadly, they're shouted down more often than not by the penis element. 

MacDonald Jardine

I said last week that Fullarton was a penis, I was proven right with that. You can also add the majority of 'pundits' to the list of penises. Bonner, Miller, Chic, Billy Brown, Keith Jackson etc.

Only a few sound like they know what they actually are talking about - English, Scott McDonald, Mikey Stewart and sometimes Speirs. Sadly, they're shouted down more often than not by the penis element.

More than half that list, decent pundits as they can be, are at best self obsessed arseholes.

I said last week that Fullarton was a penis, I was proven right with that.  You can also add the majority of 'pundits' to the list of penises.  Bonner, Miller, Chic, Billy Brown, Keith Jackson etc.

Only a few sound like they know what they actually are talking about - English, Scott McDonald, Mikey Stewart and sometimes Speirs.  Sadly, they're shouted down more often than not by the penis element. 

The Mainstream Football Media in Scotland has a fair sprinkling of men who were complete and utter failures as coaches. Funny coincidence  that huh ?

The whole system is corrupt any journo not towing the party line would have exposed this years ago but when they are just as guilty flying first class and being put up in 5 star hotels why rock the boat,utter scumbags everyone of them would not trust a so called journo if my life depended on it.No matter when cathro does the business they will fawn over us to get a quote the we can tell them all to go feck themselves we don't need them.

August Landmesser

Tom English is from Limerick. In Ireland.

MacdonaldJardine is 'Rangers-minded'.

MJ's dislike of Tom English has little to do with the journalism and lots to do with other factors.

In my opinion...

ToadKiller Dog

Tom English has grown to respect and to a point like our club ,since his early zombie comments ,when English first appeared I think he tried the shock jock approach but has grown up into one of our best sports writers .

As for Willie Miller his when he made those limit comments I was thinking he played under arguably the nations top club manager in Ferguson did he learn nothing from him .

I would imagine football people in England ,Spain and Portugal are all bemused by the weegie old guards response to the Cathro appointment.

I applaud English for fighting Ian Cathro's corner (albeit he doesn't need it as his results will do that for him) but won't forget what he wrote about us. Yes, us.

For that reason I am not joining in on the love in.

Tom English is from Limerick. In Ireland.

MJ's dislike of Tom English has little to do with the journalism and lots to do with other factors.

In my opinion...

Why not come out and say exactly what you mean? What "other factors"?

August Landmesser

Why not come out and say exactly what you mean? What "other factors"?

Hiya BB, I'm shocked to see you interject on this one...

"Tom English is from Limerick. In Ireland.

In my opinion."

I'm using the phrase 'Rangers-minded' in the same way that 'Rangers-minded' folk might use the phrase 'Celtic-minded'.

Anyway, I've dragged the thread slightly off-topic, and it's way past my bedtime...

Long story short:

Tom English, Ewan Murray, & Scott MacDonald = Good,

Willie Miller, Pat Bonner & Richard Gordon = Honking.

One not mentioned and boiled my pish this week is Richard Wilson and his tweet about Hearts and Ian Cathro. Ok it was a pun but it brought in an unnecessary element that is more a weedgie thing than a Scottish Football thing.  

Hiya BB, I'm shocked to see you interject on this one...

"Tom English is from Limerick. In Ireland.

In my opinion."

I'm using the phrase 'Rangers-minded' in the same way that 'Rangers-minded' folk might use the phrase 'Celtic-minded'.

Anyway, I've dragged the thread slightly off-topic, and it's way past my bedtime...

Long story short:

Tom English, Ewan Murray, & Scott MacDonald = Good,

Willie Miller, Pat Bonner & Richard Gordon = Honking.

So you dont actually have the balls to say what you mean, just hint that another poster is bigoted. Bullshit. & pretty cowardly.

I dislike Tom English for what he wrote (more than once) about US. Perhaps MJ has a similar opinion?

They call me Cuban Pete
I'm the king of the rhumba beat
When I play the maracas I go chick chicky boom, chick chicky boom.

So you dont actually have the balls to say what you mean, just hint that another poster is bigoted. Bullshit. & pretty cowardly.

I dislike Tom English for what he wrote (more than once) about US. Perhaps MJ has a similar opinion?

I don't think it's a question of balls, more a question of avoiding censure, which seems wise to me tbh. If I wanted to say another poster was a bigoted hun, I'd probably hide behind "rangers minded" and the nasty overtones that brings too

I don't think it's a question of balls, more a question of avoiding censure, which seems wise to me tbh. If I wanted to say another poster was a bigoted hun, I'd probably hide behind "rangers minded" and the nasty overtones that brings too

I disagree, if I think something then I say it. I prefer to be honest than a coward. If someone doesn't have the guts to say something then they shouldnt hint towards it.

Anyway, I still dont buy into the Tom English wank-fest. And Ian Cathro wont need the likes of him fighting his corner, he will prove himself to be a winner with the team at Hearts.

That's not remotely true. He was lambasted as a pitiful excuse for a journalist for a long time on here, probably not so coincidentally when there was a wee bit more for the neutral to criticise about our club.

I can remember him going a wee bit over the top once, maybe twice, but he was far from a bad journalist then and isn't particularly different now.

Archived