Will Tony Watt play better under Cathro?

wattie exploited

Hoping Ian Cathro can get Tony Watt playing in the right position as that would be like having a new player as Watt  just wandered were ever he wanted under Robbie 

As ive said before, Tony would be better employed as an attacking midfield player.

Thats the way he seems to play.

I like him, very skillfull.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neilson's Shank

Will the pies taste better under cathro?

At least coach them not to stick to the foil tray, Cathro has said it is all about individual small improvements, that would be a start.

Tony Watts problem is he doesn't have a position. Unless you build a team around him he becomes ineffective as neither a forward or midfielder he just floats around the top end of the pitch. It makes others job more difficult as he creates problems in the formation.

It's been noticeable in the last 3 games we've looked more of a unit with everyone doing their job from the positions they are supposed to be in.

If Cathro can create a position and get him to stay there he may improve.

Bazzas right boot

Tony Watts problem is he doesn't have a position. Unless you build a team around him he becomes ineffective as neither a forward or midfielder he just floats around the top end of the pitch. It makes others job more difficult as he creates problems in the formation.

It's been noticeable in the last 3 games we've looked more of a unit with everyone doing their job from the positions they are supposed to be in.

I agree.

For the time being I'd replace Walker or Muirhead with him if they are having a bad game, run of poor form, he'd be a inside forward.

I wouldn't have him up front  ( the reasons you state)and Djoum is arguably our best and most influential player.

He is a good player, very unlucky not to have at least 5/6 goals to his name ( imo) and a good coach should be able to use him. He has the potential to tear most defences a new one, but it must be done without disrupting everyone else as you say, as the team has to benefit.

A_A wehatethehibs

Said this in the sammon thread and I'll say it in this one - every player stands a chance to make their mark now, they all have a clean slate and an opportunity to stake their claim.

It is clear that watt just needs the right man to tell him what to do.

He has great ability but not great application or execution. At times he'll have the ball, skin 3 defenders then forget where the goal is. I think like sammon his problems are predominantly psychological, so the psychology aspect with MacPhee may prove significant.

One things for sure, if watt doesn't pull his socks up and start performing for Hearts he'll not have much of a future in the game.

Watt's problem is he was brought in as a striker but really occupies a space somewhere between a #10, a winger, and a CAM.  I think Watt's best hope is that we get a huge offer for Walker in the window and he learns that position.  He needs lots of space to play in to build up to his big attacking runs, and he's only ever going to find that cutting in from the wing.

I hope he's taking his time on the bench to study what Walker does in games.  If he can learn to play in that space, he certainly has more natural talent than Walker, he just needs to understand how he's supposed to fit in to the team without getting discouraged.

August Landmesser

Said this in the sammon thread and I'll say it in this one - every player stands a chance to make their mark now, they all have a clean slate and an opportunity to stake their claim.

He has great ability but not great application or execution. At times he'll have the ball, skin 3 defenders then forget where the goal is. I think like sammon his problems are predominantly psychological, so the psychology aspect with MacPhee may prove significant.

One things for sure, if watt doesn't pull his socks up and start performing for Hearts he'll not have much of a future in the game.

On that note, what's the story with the holes in his socks? Did we ever get to the bottom of that?

wattie exploited

Watt's problem is he was brought in as a striker but really occupies a space somewhere between a #10, a winger, and a CAM.  I think Watt's best hope is that we get a huge offer for Walker in the window and he learns that position.  He needs lots of space to play in to build up to his big attacking runs, and he's only ever going to find that cutting in from the wing.

I hope he's taking his time on the bench to study what Walker does in games.  If he can learn to play in that space, he certainly has more natural talent than Walker, he just needs to understand how he's supposed to fit in to the team without getting discouraged.

walker is a much better player than Watt in our team right now 

Bazzas right boot

He is, but Walker would lose form, I'd like to think we can accommodate players like Watt.

Players like Watt, Walker and Djoum for me are a class above most of the SPL, but Watt is yet to prove he is effective, and you have to be effective. Sammon is more effective than Watt for us, and given the difference in Talent Watt must look to improve his positional sense or whatever it is that makes him drift about.

Watt's problem is he was brought in as a striker but really occupies a space somewhere between a #10, a winger, and a CAM. I think Watt's best hope is that we get a huge offer for Walker in the window and he learns that position. He needs lots of space to play in to build up to his big attacking runs, and he's only ever going to find that cutting in from the wing.

I hope he's taking his time on the bench to study what Walker does in games. If he can learn to play in that space, he certainly has more natural talent than Walker, he just needs to understand how he's supposed to fit in to the team without getting discouraged.

Somewhere between a #10, a winger and a CAM?

My mind boggles. Isn't that just someone playing behind a striker, in front of the midfield? E.g. an actual #10-type role?

And how do you know what he was brought in to do, in comparison to what he was being asked to do, and what he was actually doing?

Mr Cathro will decide on a game to game basis, if he is great at training and fits a setup I cant see why not,  but only IF.

This question also applies to Salmond. 

He is, but Walker would lose form, I'd like to think we can accommodate players like Watt.

Players like Watt, Walker and Djoum for me are a class above most of the SPL, but Watt is yet to prove he is effective, and you have to be effective. Sammon is more effective than Watt for us, and given the difference in Talent Watt must look to improve his positional sense or whatever it is that makes him drift about.

For me there a couple of things Watt has to think about and come up with the definitive answer before he'll have a stable career at any decent level.

1. What is he best at ? It isn't the free role got from Neilson ( we assume here that Neilson actually told him to play a free role)

2. His in-match decision making is fecking awful. He has to work on that.

Cathro and MacPhee, I would like to think, will come up with something. Whether he follows through with that is up to him. This is his last chance to make something decent of himself IMO. His last 6 months as a top flight pro.

Bazzas right boot

For me there a couple of things Watt has to think about and come up with the definitive answer before he'll have a stable career at any decent level.

1. What is he best at ? It isn't the free role got from Neilson ( we assume here that Neilson actually told him to play a free role)

2. His in-match decision making is fecking awful. He has to work on that.

Cathro and MacPhee, I would like to think, will come up with something. Whether he follows through with that is up to him. This is his last chance to make something decent of himself IMO. His last 6 months as a top flight pro.

Agreed, needs to sort out where he plays and what he does.

Tony Watt has loads of natural talent. Can he fit into a Hearts team and be effective. Of course he can it's all down to Tony.

rudi must stay

I think he's our best player technically so could be regular in an Ian Cathro team, good passer of the ball and not afraid to have a shot

rudi must stay

He's an attacking midfielder just like Jamie Walker. He hasn't played because I don't think you can fit both in the same team. Both are excellent and the key player when they are on the pitch. Watt has been cruelly written off

wattie exploited

He's an attacking midfielder just like Jamie Walker. He hasn't played because I don't think you can fit both in the same team. Both are excellent and the key player when they are on the pitch. Watt has been cruelly written off

I dont think he has been written off  just yet but he needs to find a position that he can   stick to  

Saw him give one of the worst performances of the season at Hamilton. I'd love for Cathro & MacPhee to turn him around but he looks incredibly disinterested.

If you check out the 'great Macphee interview' thread you might get an insight into what sort of efforts our new coaches might go to with a player if they think it will benefit the team....

Agreed.  That's why I think Watt needs to learn from him. But I think Watt has more natural talent, he's just not playing up to it.

Somewhere between a #10, a winger and a CAM?

My mind boggles. Isn't that just someone playing behind a striker, in front of the midfield? E.g. an actual #10-type role?

And how do you know what he was brought in to do, in comparison to what he was being asked to do, and what he was actually doing?

Except he keeps dropping deeper than a #10 should to come back and get the ball, like back into the defensive midfield, but then floats out to the wing when we move forward to attack, then cuts into the corner of the box.  So sometimes he plays like a #10, sometimes he plays like a midfielder, and sometimes he plays like a striker.

Walker also covers a lot of this ground, but it turns into chances more often than when Watt does it because he reads the game better.  And Walker and Watt get in each others way when they play at the same time.

Do I know what he was brought in to do?  Not for certain, of course, but Robbie played him as a striker for his first month.  Seems a natural conclusion to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Agreed. That's why I think Watt needs to learn from him. But I think Watt has more natural talent, he's just not playing up to it.

Except he keeps dropping deeper than a #10 should to come back and get the ball, like back into the defensive midfield, but then floats out to the wing when we move forward to attack, then cuts into the corner of the box. So sometimes he plays like a #10, sometimes he plays like a midfielder, and sometimes he plays like a striker.

Walker also covers a lot of this ground, but it turns into chances more often than when Watt does it because he reads the game better. And Walker and Watt get in each others way when they play at the same time.

Do I know what he was brought in to do? Not for certain, of course, but Robbie played him as a striker for his first month. Seems a natural conclusion to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Personally, I haven't noticed much of a shift in where he was initially operating versus where he was most recently. We have a much better option to play behind the forwards, in front of Kitchen and Cowie - Djoum.

I'd like to see Watt tried as the frontman, although Johnson rightly holds that role at the moment.

alicante jambo

Watt's problem is he was brought in as a striker but really occupies a space somewhere between a #10, a winger, and a CAM. I think Watt's best hope is that we get a huge offer for Walker in the window and he learns that position. He needs lots of space to play in to build up to his big attacking runs, and he's only ever going to find that cutting in from the wing.

I hope he's taking his time on the bench to study what Walker does in games. If he can learn to play in that space, he certainly has more natural talent than Walker, he just needs to understand how he's supposed to fit in to the team without getting discouraged.

Ive said it before about walker he is so inconsistent its incredible.On his day great but too many days hes not.Got told last week though hes now over his injuries and is feeling better than ever so this might cchange.He needs to learn to release the ball quicker aswell sevco match 4 or 5 times players were in space he just wouldnt look up.

We_are_the_Hearts

Was in great spirits at the Calendar signing last night, as were the whole squad. Him and Johnsen seemed the Jokers in the pack, good banter. 

He's without doubt, Cathro's biggest "do-er upper".

The problem I see, like you, is where to play him, as part of what system, and does the team benefit from having him as a result?

Looking at the story today EEN about how Austin MacPhee looked after the boy Goncalves when he came over to St Mirren I think Tony Watt is just the sort of challenge these guys have a good chance of succeeding at.

I think Tony Watt could play anywhere along the (offensive) midfield or attack. Like i said before Tony Watt's future is in Tony Watt's hands.

Tony has the talent but his decision making is awful, and that's something they might be able to help fix IF he's smart enough.

We'll see

wattie exploited

i think he is a great player but he needs some direction in where he has to play as he is all over the field !!!

Tokyo Drifter

Of all the players we have, Tony Watt was the one that i thought that would benefit from Ian Cathro's appointment.

Agree. Also starting to wonder if we won't see Sammon shipped out on loan - Dundee United?

If they think they can fix him then I'd hope we can get some sort of option to buy added in. Would hate to see us fix him and he starts to turn good at the end of the season and thats all we get :(

He wasn't brought in as a striker. Rather he was brought in when we NEEDED a striker and possibly we thought he'd do a job there. He's a number 10 IMO. He could play a wide role if he applied himself but there is the problem. He hasn't, up till now had the discipline to fit into a role which is so definitive. He's been a heedless chicken that hindered us as much as it helped us. Its tweaking he needs, but he needs to be open to coaching and direction and I don't think he currently is. Cathro/MacPhee are his last chance IMO but he's got to be willing and utterly submissive and receptive to whats being asked of him. Thats a major change for him which might be a bridge too far.

He wasn't brought in as a striker. Rather he was brought in when we NEEDED a striker and possibly we thought he'd do a job there. He's a number 10 IMO. He could play a wide role if he applied himself but there is the problem. He hasn't, up till now had the discipline to fit into a role which is so definitive. He's been a heedless chicken that hindered us as much as it helped us. Its tweaking he needs, but he needs to be open to coaching and direction and I don't think he currently is. Cathro/MacPhee are his last chance IMO but he's got to be willing and utterly submissive and receptive to whats being asked of him. Thats a major change for him which might be a bridge too far.

Trying to be optimistic here, I feel like the knock we heard on Watt coming in is that his work rate was sub-par.  From what we've heard and certainly what we've seen on the pitch, I think he's addressed that.

I agree 100% that he needs work on his decision making, which is what Cathro's specialty is, from what I understand of Box Soccer.  So perhaps now that he's sorted his work ethic, he can catch up on his decision making.

As I said, trying to be optimistic.

Agree. Also starting to wonder if we won't see Sammon shipped out on loan - Dundee United?

Said this on the Robbie thread, but from reading the MK board, honestly wouldn't be shocked if Sammon is the player Neilson comes calling for.  They sound as if they're in dire need of a big, hard working hold-up man up top, and whatever his shortcomings in hitting the broad side of a barn from 3 yards, Sammon is that.

wattie exploited

Trying to be optimistic here, I feel like the knock we heard on Watt coming in is that his work rate was sub-par.  From what we've heard and certainly what we've seen on the pitch, I think he's addressed that.

I agree 100% that he needs work on his decision making, which is what Cathro's specialty is, from what I understand of Box Soccer.  So perhaps now that he's sorted his work ethic, he can catch up on his decision making.

As I said, trying to be optimistic.

Said this on the Robbie thread, but from reading the MK board, honestly wouldn't be shocked if Sammon is the player Neilson comes calling for.  They sound as if they're in dire need of a big, hard working hold-up man up top, and whatever his shortcomings in hitting the broad side of a barn from 3 yards, Sammon is that.

just like Watt I would give Sammon  2 months to see if he can be improved under Cathro if not get rid !!!!!!!!

just like Watt I would give Sammon 2 months to see if he can be improved under Cathro if not get rid !!!!!!!!

5 games till break

2 more in January

Agree I'd like players to be moved on

Cathro and MacPhee might be happy to have more time with Watt

wattie exploited

its going to be interesting this next month to see if Watt gets a game at all hopefully he will try a bit harder as he definitely  has the talent   

I take it your trying to sabotage United's promotion chances.

We_are_the_Hearts

Watt will be a good marekr for the new managements ability to connect with players, get the best out of them and their man-management. Look forward to seeign the outcome

wattie exploited

:2thumbsup:

Watt will be a good marekr for the new managements ability to connect with players, get the best out of them and their man-management. Look forward to seeign the outcome

:2thumbsup:   

Before anyone mentions Sammon I seem to remember Tony Watt coming to Hearts as a striker.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I really can't believe that you think Sammon's problem is psychological. The truth is the guy just isn't a footballer and least of all a goalscorer.

He looks a physical presence and seems very fit and there is no questioning his running about but I'm afraid that's where the praise stops. His ball control is brutal and he can't jump his standing height never mind score goals.

If Cathro can get Sammon to start scoring goals regularly then he is a miracle worker not a football coach. I would be tempted to ask Charlton if they would do a swap and take Sammon and we could keep Watt.

Neilson dropped him so his instructions were clearly falling on death ears. Can't see this changing, he seems to have made a career out of it.

Pretty much bang on.  Heard that he finds it hard to take on too much tactical info and positional play instructions

I really can't believe that you think Sammon's problem is psychological. The truth is the guy just isn't a footballer and least of all a goalscorer.

He looks a physical presence and seems very fit and there is no questioning his running about but I'm afraid that's where the praise stops. His ball control is brutal and he can't jump his standing height never mind score goals.

If Cathro can get Sammon to start scoring goals regularly then he is a miracle worker not a football coach. I would be tempted to ask Charlton if they would do a swap and take Sammon and we could keep Watt.

If Cathro and make Sammon score goals, I will be giving him glasses of water and asking him to turn them into wine.

Bazzas right boot

If Cathro get Sammon scoring goals. We'll be champions next year.

However, I'll support all our players and they deserve a fair chance under the new gaffer.

And a big f u to those booing our own players. Poor, poor banter.

Watt is a good player, can he become effective in a match?

Difference is Walker is more disciplined. Watt still runs about like he's the best player in the u14s trying to do everyone's job. I've not written him off and I think he's a talent but he needs to find a position and stay there he upsets the formation too much and he's never in the right area for a forward to score enough goals.

Cathro may well find a position and be able to harness him a bit. All the better for us if he does. Right now though Walker, a fit Nicholson and Muirhead are ahead of him and he'll need to work his way back in.

rudi must stay

Difference is Walker is more disciplined. Watt still runs about like he's the best player in the u14s trying to do everyone's job. I've not written him off and I think he's a talent but he needs to find a position and stay there he upsets the formation too much and he's never in the right area for a forward to score enough goals.

Cathro may well find a position and be able to harness him a bit. All the better for us if he does. Right now though Walker, a fit Nicholson and Muirhead are ahead of him and he'll need to work his way back in.

goes around looking for the ball which I think is enthusiasm. Nothing wrong with that, maybe one of these flair players that you just have to stick with it. I do agree Walker right now is playing fantastically

Archived