Cathro and MacPhee press conference

tartofmidlothian

john brownlee

Cathro certainly lends itself to the cooler nickname.

We could have always gone for Powers for Austin

Defo a hobbit that thought up these nicknames, who in their right mind would want to be called after a murderous dictator and a cleaning lady.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Robbies record was the same, but he had a more positive outlook more fans like myself would of been happy.

Of course hearts can beat Ross county, Hamilton, Aberdeen, Rangers. We do not have to beat Celtic to challenge for the league. Robbie failed to believe this.

Cathro appears to want to be the next Jose. I can see he wants to win it all, we might be on the next stage of our incredible rise from the brink

Dinosaur is a reference to the age of the methods rather than the managers. There have been plenty forward thinkers going back a long time such as Cruyff and even Jimmy Hill. Totally agree that you don't need to be young to be progressive - it just happens we are the first clubs brave enough to give these guys the opportunity.

Dub post.

Dinosaur is a reference to the age of the methods rather than the managers. There have been plenty forward thinkers going back a long time such as Cruyff and even Jimmy Hill. Totally agree that you don't need to be young to be progressive - it just happens we are the first clubs brave enough to give these guys the opportunity.

I know what it refers to mate but it's the way people gategorise anyone with it of a certain age or from a certain era.

Great stuff. It's now up to the players to buy into it or to fall by the wayside.

Well if they dont buy in to it then its goodbye i would imagine.

If Robbies record was the same, but he had a more positive outlook more fans like myself would of been happy.

Of course hearts can beat Ross county, Hamilton, Aberdeen, Rangers. We do not have to beat Celtic to challenge for the league. Robbie failed to believe this.

Cathro appears to want to be the next Jose. I can see he wants to win it all, we might be on the next stage of our incredible rise from the brink

Beating Celtic, IMO, would be essential to us winning the league. Look at the table last season (an opportunity missed IMO) If we had just won 6 of our 11 drawn games and overturned the 2 Celtic defeats and made them victories, we'd have won the league.

Beating your nearest rivals is pretty much a requirement to winning the league. If you don't at least share the points you're really going to struggle.

Robbies main problem was there were a few teams he didn't believe enough that we could/should beat. I'd be surprised and disappointed if Cathro/MacPhee felt that way.

Beating Celtic, IMO, would be essential to us winning the league. Look at the table last season (an opportunity missed IMO) If we had just won 6 of our 11 drawn games and overturned 2 of the Celtic defeats and made them victories, we'd have won the league.

Beating your nearest rivals is pretty much a requirement to winning the league. If you don't at least share the points you're really going to struglle

I agree to actually go on and win the league beating Celtic in Glasgow would be a major coup on both clubs mindsets.

I was meaning the point, if we beat the teams we are better than weekly (I believe we have the 2nd best first 11 in the league) we would be right up the top just now. It puts us in a position to play a game v Celtic to close the gap or extend our lead.

That opportunity will never happen if we beat them but then drop points away to county the week after

tartofmidlothian

Beating Celtic, IMO, would be essential to us winning the league. Look at the table last season (an opportunity missed IMO) If we had just won 6 of our 11 drawn games and overturned 2 of the Celtic defeats and made them victories, we'd have won the league.

Beating your nearest rivals is pretty much a requirement to winning the league. If you don't at least share the points you're really going to struggle.

Robbies main problem was there were a few teams he didn't believe enough that we could/should beat. I'd be surprised and disappointed if Cathro/MacPhee felt that way.

That would have been a tall order, but my main gripe about last season was that three results upgraded would have had us finishing second. The 1-1 vs Dundee where King came off for Gomis and we sat back, the Dundee United game where we gifted them three points, pick one other draw.

I agree to actually go on and win the league beating Celtic in Glasgow would be a major coup on both clubs mindsets.

I was meaning the point, if we beat the teams we are better than weekly (I believe we have the 2nd best first 11 in the league) we would be right up the top just now. It puts us in a position to play a game v Celtic to close the gap or extend our lead.

That opportunity will never happen if we beat them but then drop points away to county the week after

I think in all honesty that the short-mid term initial target of the new coaching team will be to get a very solid second place. Perhaps this season. Certainly next season. If we can do that it gives us a springboard to have a real crack the season after that. A lot depends on what they (celtic) do to strengthen right enough, but a future challenge, if everything goes for us and very little goes against us, is not completely out of the question.

That would have been a tall order, but my main gripe about last season was that three results upgraded would have had us finishing second. The 1-1 vs Dundee where King came off for Gomis and we sat back, the Dundee United game where we gifted them three points, pick one other draw.

True. We blew several opportunities to finish second. One of things that went heavily against Neilson IMO (rather than just a couple of notable defeats) We accepted draws when wins were there for the taking far too often.

The amount of points we have dropped by teams with much smaller budgets therefore less quality is abysmal, we should be hanging onto Celtic's coat-tails, much much closer to them than we actually are.

You seem to be wanting this both ways.

The difference between our budget and Celtic's is far greater than the difference between ours and Hamilton's and when you are trading in players at that lower end, the difference in quality becomes increasingly marginal. Whilst appreciating football isn't played on paper, I'd expect a player on 717k per year(Celtic's median average annual salary from globalsportssalaries.com) to be noticeably better than a player on 86k(Hearts) and to come out on top more often than not. Meanwhile Hamilton's is 42.5k. Even looking at the numbers, we spend double what Hamilton do, but Celtic are spending c8 times what we do. Spending double what Hamilton do does lead to that expectation of winning, and we will mostly do that, but Celtic will beat Hamilton 9 times out of 10, we will be more like 6 or 7. Take that across the 9 teams who aren't either Champions League rich or spending beyond their means and we shouldn't really expect to be on Celtic's coat tails. That isn't defeatist, it's reality.

That said, our away performances/results are often markedly worse than our home equivalents, which can only come down to a combination of approach/attitude/mentality/strength of character of Coach and player and that, for me, is where we have the most obvious room for improvement in terms of closing the gap.

Comments around this are what most encouraged me in the press conference.

You know for a fact if we lose at Ibrox the red top rags will be all over it. With snide remarks about laptops and lack of experience. The more sensible press will rightly point to it being the first game and our fairly abysmal away record.

It could take 3 or 4 games for them to bed in and that's plenty enough time for the sun to whip up a frenzy even in our own support into thinking this is some sort of failed experiment.

To me in the little I've seen of them so far they both strike me as winners. Our players don't lack ability but they do seem to lack that real winners mentality on the road. If the new management team can get them believing they can win every game then we could see something special.

It needs time and patience though and we as a support tend to lack patience. Whatever happens the rest of this season is a bedding in period but come the summer after transfers etc I really hope we come out flying and put a marker down on the league.

August Landmesser

Without knowing for certain, I'd imagine we also have one of the youngest squads too - Aberdeen are aging rapidly, and look to have missed their chance, whilst Sevco are a collection of 'marquee' has-beens and hardly-will-bes. Feels like we're best placed to develop a very strong core squad for the next few years (assuming we can hold it together in transfer windows)

Weehoo! That's my lunchtime sorted.

Watching a press conference, from yesterday, on my phone :D

Ahhh, the rock n roll lifestyle...

It's worth it. I'd read every word of their comments yesterday but watching them speak was even more impressive and gave more of an insight into their character.

August Landmesser

It's worth it. I'd read every word of their comments yesterday but watching them speak was even more impressive and gave more of an insight into their character.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as sarcastic - I actually will be watching it and am looking forward to it. The little snippets I've seen so far on the DR & STV sites have been fascinating.

Both very eloquent, and thoughtful guys. Fully expecting them to explode into knee-sliding, bottle-kicking Mourinhos as soon as they get onto the touchline though!

This is the shitey thing.

Rangers win at the weekend, managed by a guy with 4 years football and coaching experience against a guy with 8 years coaching experience, will make the cockwombles feel vindicated with their bile that you need to be a former pro to properly manage a team....

Rangers win at the weekend, managed by a guy with 4 years football and coaching experience against a guy with 8 years coaching experience, will make the cockwombles feel vindicated with their bile that you need to be a former pro to properly manage a team....

Yes of course, but that'd be wrong.

Our guys are just in the door, managing Robbie Neilson's team with Robbie Neilson's mindset for big games away from home ingrained in them.

It might take more the 3 days to change that and we might get beat on Saturday and have to suck it up.

Warburton been coaching professionally since 2006 when he joined Watford.

Before that did the tour of Europe visiting clubs

Robbie worked with him in 2010 at Brentford which has been widely reported.

rudi must stay

Hard to watch that without feeling utterly inspired to look at your own life and where you are and how you could be better and how you should step outside the comfort zone most of us are undoubtedly in.

great post. We can't all go to Portugal and do coaching as these guys have the talent, but they are definatly go geters, fair play to them they have stuck with it despite the doubters

tartofmidlothian

Hard to watch that without feeling utterly inspired to look at your own life and where you are and how you could be better and how you should step outside the comfort zone most of us are undoubtedly in.

Great post. I felt inspired just watching Cathro spraff in a press conference on the internet, imagine he was coaching you to play football every day. Anyone else think they might be running through brick walls for the guy by the end of the week?

Cheers to whoever at Hearts was hanging on my suggestion yesterday to put it up 24 hours later. :thumbsup:

I think it'd benefit Hearts if more of the interviews and stuff were freely available.

They could have a sponsor for it all. They'd make more money from the higher view count than restricting it all to HeartsTV customers.

I P Knightley

It needs time and patience though and we as a support tend to lack patience. Whatever happens the rest of this season is a bedding in period but come the summer after transfers etc I really hope we come out flying and put a marker down on the league.

I don't think with these guys we should be pinning any hopes on transfer windows - at least not in the conventional sense. The vision set out by AB and CL at the start of this wonderful journey is to produce our own and promote from within. 

I hope it's not just my take on it but I believe that Cathro and MacPhee are setting out to improve the mental strength of the players and youngsters at the club. I'd be surprised if their early actions included a major clear out. I suspect an early challenge will be to explore what's the best they can get out of players like Watt and Juwon; guys who aren't fundamentally bad but have skills and potential that could be harnessed.

If they don't rise to the "no limits" challenge, then they'll be shown the door. And I wouldn't expect a one-for-one replacement in the transfer market.

If I were a player like Paterson, who's set to leave anyway, I'd want to stick around to the end of the season to gain whatever benefits I could from this regime before moving on - hopefully as a better player.  

Fully expecting them to explode into knee-sliding, bottle-kicking Mourinhos as soon as they get onto the touchline though!

This is the next bit to excite me. How animated will they be in the dugout or technical area? Will Cathro have data coming at him through his Apple watch? When we go three up, will he nod an acknowledgement or will he go batshit crazy? Will it be a tracksuit, a business suit or something more hipster?

So many questions. I can't wait!

August Landmesser

Great post. I felt inspired just watching Cathro spraff in a press conference on the internet, imagine he was coaching you to play football every day. Anyone else think they might be running through brick walls for the guy by the end of the week?

I'm just watching it in full now. If he ever starts a cult, I'm signing up as First Zealot.

I love him.

August Landmesser

100%. I'm getting a wee bit goosebumps listening to him and imagining the possibilities.

Some of what he said reminded a little of things Cmdr Chris Hadfield said when he was at the Usher Hall last year; no limits, test yourself, challenge yourself etc.

Inspiring stuff.

You don't live in Dundee do you?

:gok:

I can't wait until the winter break is done and dusted and they've had a few weeks of working with the squad, it would also be worth taking the loan guys back and seeing what he thinks.  I also suspect they've known for a few weeks they're coming on board, why would MacPhee have been at the Rangers game?

Most keepers aren't 15 foot tall tbf

Sorry to burst your bubble but most keepers can't make a clean catch from one of Ozturks free kicks or shots on target which is why he should be another choice for taking penalties. The ball is hit so hard it's almost impossible save cleanly. Most keepers parry it out and it usually lands anywhere in front of them which is when players running in can score from rebounds.

Archived