Cathro and MacPhee press conference

tartofmidlothian

glastonbury jambo

Can someone please summarise what was said?

And also what are the key points about each Cathro & MacPhee?

thanks

We are going to win ... and there is no limit to that!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tartofmidlothian

Can't see it :(

Checked the STV news and STV sport Facebook pages

I can't find it either now. Maybe Hearts asked them to take it down?

That was hugely impressive from IC and AM. Love Ian's dog about power points. Exciting times ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best quotes was from MacPhee, discussing becoming a coach without having played at any great level. He said you have to think about things more. If you're a former pro and managers have shouted "work the channels" or whatever at you for ten years, you think that's how things are done and you just do the same thing. If you want to get a Northern Ireland international or a Valencia player to try something different, though, you want to be extremely well prepared and be able to back up your decisions. He was very impressive too.

So basically these guys work a lot harder

I can't find it either now. Maybe Hearts asked them to take it down?

Probably - Hearts will want it all behind their HeartsTV paywall :( I've got a subscription but it just makes it less accessible than having the interviews freely available

In Robbie's defence, he talked regularly about wanting to get to the position to challenge Celtic. He was quite often ridiculed for it.

I'm liking what I'm hearing.

It is easier for fans to accept a defeat if we have went out to win than a defeat when we have went out not to lose.

glastonbury jambo

It is easier for fans to accept a defeat if we have went out to win than a defeat when we have went out not to lose.

yes , like cold night and sunny day...

Really excited by what they are saying.

However, it may take time and don't think it will all come together this season. Although this season still has allot to play for.

In at the deep end on Saturday, hope for a flying start.

Great , forward thinking by the club, going to be a interesting time being a Hearts fan

The players will be wanting to show Cathro what they're made of, expect 3 points on Saturday

Somewhere Kris Boyd is tucking into the 5th bag of a 6 pack of Monster Munch in a stressed stouper, re-watching the interview and trying to make sense of how Cathro is nothing like how he described.  

Bazzas right boot

'Aye but you want rid of neilson but who would you want to replace him with?'

These guys.

:jjyay:

Yes, but time will tell.

Ive no seen any interviews yet im at work but will look later.Lets batter these batstewards on saturday.

Good listening  and Indeed

A last minute winner like Robbie's first game would be the icing on the cake for this week

Correct. And defeats will happen. But from the sound of things, we will go out to win.

No longer is drawing with Hamilton acceptable or the aim, because (insert team here) also drew with them. I am glad more fans seem to subscribe to this new ambitious attitude, and are not calling Cathro an armchair manager who thinks he knows it all because he played FM17.

Really excited by what they are saying.

However, it may take time and don't think it will all come together this season. Although this season still has allot to play for.

In at the deep end on Saturday, hope for a flying start.

Great , forward thinking by the club, going to be a interesting time being a Hearts fan

Yep, this is not one of appointments where you will see the "new manager bounce"

In Robbie's defence, he talked regularly about wanting to get to the position to challenge Celtic. He was quite often ridiculed for it.

Too often, his football never back up that confidence.

Good listening  and Indeed

A last minute winner like Robbie's first game would be the icing on the cake for this week

Much prefer to stick 4 past them in the first half and play the 2nd half in front of a packed corner with a handful of them scattered throughout the vast emptiness of the rest of Ibrox.

Top trolling by Cathro. That fat useless waste of space weegie fecker Boyd will be spewing out his monster munch.

Loving the excitement, passion and drive from these two and the anticipation of what they could achieve. Absolutely buzzing now. Tynie should be rocking for their first home game.

tartofmidlothian

I liked the fact Neilson was thoughtful and humble, but I think I'm going to like the fact Cathro is thoughtful and cocky even more.

Neilson seemed like the kind of guy players would want to do well for. Cathro seems like the kind of guy they'd want to push themselves to new levels for.

'Aye but you want rid of neilson but who would you want to replace him with?'

These guys.

:jjyay:

Whilst many 'Robbie Ooters' did not have a clue who to suggest, I think that CL always had a long term plan to get Cathro in at some stage.

Somewhere Kris Boyd is tucking into the 5th bag of a 6 pack of Monster Munch in a stressed stouper, re-watching the interview and trying to make sense of how Cathro is nothing like how he described.  

If any of the IT geeks can post it, I am thinking the last scene of the movie Dodgeball

Not based on the season so far it would seem.

I liked the fact Neilson was thoughtful and humble, but I think I'm going to like the fact Cathro is thoughtful and cocky even more.

Neilson seemed like the kind of guy players would want to do well for. Cathro seems like the kind of guy they'd want to push themselves to new levels for.

And that's what has been missing for some 12 months or so. It was never a case of people hating or disliking Neilson (apart from maybe the rent a plane mob) the rest of us could see what was missing and that Neilson wasn't up to the job.

glastonbury jambo

And that's what has been missing for some 12 months or so. It was never a case of people hating or disliking Neilson (apart from maybe the rent a plane mob) the rest of us could see what was missing and that Neilson wasn't up to the job.

yup,and it was that simple and obvious as well.

Neilson was clearly up to the job.

The key question was - was there somebody we could appoint that could take the team forward more effectively?

My only ever answer to that issue was - yes possibly Cathro.

tartofmidlothian

I think he was up to the job, I just think he'd taken us as far as he could. He'd probably done that by last summer.

Must admit I was getting bored this season, and that's even though I think Neilson did a good job for us. It was like being an Arsenal fan. "You're going to get us into Europe again and we won't win anything, Arsene? Brilliant. Zzzzzz."

I think he was up to the job, I just think he'd taken us as far as he could. He'd probably done that by last summer.

Must admit I was getting bored this season, and that's even though I think Neilson did a good job for us. It was like being an Arsenal fan. "You're going to get us into Europe again and we won't win anything, Arsene? Brilliant. Zzzzzz."

Now I like you tart mate but it's quite ridiculous that any hearts fan would say they were bored by qualifying for Europe two seasons on the trot.

How many times have we done that?

That's ****ing successful in our history.

This is where part of the problem lies.

Cathro: "I don't see why everything should be set by what football, society or clubs have been in the past. Find a way to do something new."

These tweets all from Capital City Press.

lol....I really hope his management is as good as his thought process.

A great statement that. Personally, music to my ears. He's bang on, particularly in this country where people just accept the OF will always rule.

Whilst many 'Robbie Ooters' did not have a clue who to suggest, I think that CL always had a long term plan to get Cathro in at some stage.

It wouldn't surprise me if Robbie's move to MK wasn't entirely his idea (or choice). CL seems to plan long term and it might just be that private discussions with Cathro and MacPhee have been going on for some time.

It's the timing more than anything else. No point in allowing RN input to transfer movements in January if he was no longer part of the longer term plan.

These two have worked at the top end of football. European and international level. Any muppet from Scotland's closed football circle is certain to be worried about what they bring. All this man management rhetoric is a smoke screen to protect their own and there pals future. If these two are a success with us then other clubs are sure to follow suit and where does that leave wee baz and big boydy and the likes....out a job that's where!

I heard an interview with one of the England Rugby team talking about Eddie Jones and he said of the media, Jones knew managing them in this country is a job in itself. It's very much the same with our football hacks and Cathro and McPhee look well equipped to do so.

We_are_the_Hearts

I agree. A lot of the games were boring. Europe is not the carrot it once was, UEFA have seen to that. A change was needed. The "comfort zone" mentioned this morning is spot on. To an outsider we probably look like we are doing well but going every week you could feel something was not quite right. The buzz, the momentum, the desire, the ambition.

I'll be clearer, he was up to the job of keeping us treading water, he wasn't up to the job of taking us forward onto the next level. Obviously given the soundbites that's come out and some words and language used from Hearts and now Cathro expectations are higher than what others felt we would achieve under Neilson. Possible why he was allowed to go so easily with good wishes. Hope that's made it clearer?

This is interesting. Some corners of the Neilson OOT went completely OTT in their criticism, and when they got their own way and he left I got the feeling some were feeling a little sheepish and silly when they saw so much praise for him coming from pretty much everywhere else. Then we sign Cathro and suddenly it's like someone has flicked the switch again. They're all empowered and bullish, effectively demanding praise for something achieved by Craig Levein. I'm going to assume it's all just an expression of sheer relief that after all that fuss we didn't end up with Calderwood and Boyd or similar. :biggrin:

I don't see it that way in the slightest. Were people right to have concerns? I think so. Were people also right to think it appropriate that Robbie was given time? I believe they were.  Is it great that we have two new and exciting coaches? Absolutely. Is there any way of knowing if we'll fare better this season with Cathro and MacPhee than we would've done with Neilson and Crawford? Of course not. Is the outcome satisfactory for all parties? Seems to be, so far anyway!

Levein should be claiming this as a  win, not warring factions of Hearts supporters. It's lame.

When we lose we can just blame it on the laptop :)

A_A wehatethehibs

They may need time to settle in, but there's no time like the present. Ok there have been a few draws but we are on a 6 game unbeaten run, that is a fact. We aren't signing these guys on for next season or for after the January window, we are signing them for right now, we demand results and the expectations are high - we do not expect ups and downs, we expect the new coaches to continue that run and convert those draws into victories. There is everything to play for this season, other than the title which is pretty much out of reach without a near impossible capitulation from Celtic.

As far as I am concerned the same pressure is on the new team to deliver victories as was on Robbie. Only a win will do. Not often a coach takes over a squad in as good shape as ours with 69 points to play for, and the cup.

Really excited for 2017

They are certainly saying all the right things. It's impossible not to be impressed.

To me, Don Cowie has a huge part to play. We have a young and inexperienced management team, and I'd be looking at Cowie to be the one to lead by example in the dressing room when they are trying to get their ideas across.

AlphonseCapone

Be good when everyone (ins and outs) shuts the **** up about Neilson.

New era, stop being divisive.

I was all in favour of keeping faith with Robbie as he was clearly doing a tremendous job, but these two appointments are superb and there is no looking back.

Outstanding work by LeBudge.

This is interesting. Some corners of the Neilson OOT went completely OTT in their criticism, and when they got their own way and he left I got the feeling some were feeling a little sheepish and silly when they saw so much praise for him coming from pretty much everywhere else. Then we sign Cathro and suddenly it's like someone has flicked the switch again. They're all empowered and bullish, effectively demanding praise for something achieved by Craig Levein. I'm going to assume it's all just an expression of sheer relief that after all that fuss we didn't end up with Calderwood and Boyd or similar. :biggrin:

I don't see it that way in the slightest. Were people right to have concerns? I think so. Were people also right to think it appropriate that Robbie was given time? I believe they were. Is it great that we have two new and exciting coaches? Absolutely. Is there any way of knowing if we'll fare better this season with Cathro and MacPhee than we would've done with Neilson and Crawford? Of course not. Is the outcome satisfactory for all parties? Seems to be, so far anyway!

Levein should be claiming this as a win, not warring factions of Hearts supporters. It's lame.

Or put it another way.

I know exactly who the lynch mob will be if we don't get a decent run of results quickly and I already know what they'll be saying.

Anyway apart from a bizarre recent upsurge in the angry mob appearing to believe that they are entirely vindicated by something that none of them proposed to be the solution to their angst, there is a vaguely pleasant unity on here for a change.

Let's hope this continues past 3pm on Saturday.

I won't hold my breath....

I liked how Cathro in particular took no s**t but was willing to be open with his answers. "Do you think that is a valid question?"

Be good when everyone (ins and outs) shuts the **** up about Neilson.

New era, stop being divisive.

Absolutely 100% agree.

We are in a new era. Let's hope the new management team can do the same as the old one and start their tenure with a win at Ibrox. That would shut a certain Killie player up for a while.

I P Knightley

So basically these guys work a lot harder

This appointment has the potential to shake up the entire game. It's not about working harder but about working appropriately.

MacPhee said something along the lines that if you appoint seasoned professional players to coaching and management positions, you're destined to see the past repeat itself. Those players only know what they learnt at the feet of their managers who were, by and large, seasoned ex-pros themselves. The thought that Steven Gerrard or Roy Keane or any of these other big club captains can walk into management is laughable. It's an entirely different skill set.

If the Cathro/MacPhee appointment proves a success, there ought to be a clamour for more people who have developed their careers specifically in coaching rather than playing. 

However, that requires a change in thinking within football which is probably one of the most institutionalised areas of work outside the civil service or the church. It needs a club to be in a bit of a desperate state and willing to listen to fresh ideas about how not to repeat the problems of the past; and by "club", it's got to be the management, the players and, most of all, the customers (supporters). We were in that position and it looks like working out wonderfully for us. TCFKA Rangers were in the same position with the same opportunities in bucketloads but the pressures of the institution were too strong.  The uptake at other clubs will be slow.

I P Knightley

I liked how Cathro in particular took no s**t but was willing to be open with his answers. "Do you think that is a valid question?"

What was he asked that prompted that response?

Archived