Austin MacPhee confirmed as Assistant Head Coach (updated)

tynietigers

Don't actually know much about him, is he the man to come in and be the next manager of Hearts.

Don't actually know much about him, is he the man to come in and be the next manager of Hearts.

I don't think he'll be the manager.  The papers suggest he will be asst coach to Cathro and retain his gig as Norn assistant .

Where are you hearing this? The guy has an impressive CV and would appear to be the perfect fit for what Levien is looking for.

Where are you hearing this? The guy has an impressive CV and would appear to be the perfect fit for what Levien is looking for.

Scotland on Sunday article on the Cathro thread

After a quick scan on his wiki, he has made an incredible impact where ever he has been.

Him plus Cathro would be an utter dream team.

Article in today's Scotland on Sunday, or at least on a link to their site.

Cheers Jonno. Seems the guy is in demand, would be a real coup to get him.

He's been offered the permance director role with the sfa so we'd better be quick and tempting.

That said he worked with Levein and Cathro at United

He's been offered the permance director role with the sfa so we'd better be quick and tempting.

That said he worked with Levein and Cathro at United

And there's been some chat about whether SFA are demanding he gives up other work while Hearts may be more flexible.

AM has a lot going on outside the Northern Ireland gig. He has a successful travel management company, the AM soccer boys club bears his name and he runs successful community coaching courses in north east Fife and beyond. A lot to give up if the SFA are making that criteria for getting the job.

And there's been some chat about whether SFA are demanding he gives up other work while Hearts may be more flexible.

The SFA aren't going to let him continue to word for another national team are they - sorry just reread this and other posts it seems he has other work outside NI role

Suppose it all depends on ambition. Work for a forward thinking football club with an eye on development or work for an organisation that bombed the previous incumbent of the role for daring to challenge the status quo. I'm sure the SFA gig pays more though

Both roles are very different so I guess it will just depend on what he fancies doing on a day to day basis. He'll also be factoring in things like the potential for career progression.

LarrysRightFoot

Like the fact he's a physcholgy graduate. The mental side of the game is definitely something we need to work on.

Like the fact he's a physcholgy graduate. The mental side of the game is definitely something we need to work on.

Not a good fit for the SFA.  You have to have a modicum of intelligence to graduate.

Really happy to hear this! Seem's like we'll have an incredibly forward thinking young management team. 

Obviously Boyd and fullerton are talking nonsense but I can't help but think having someone in the management team who has played at a high level (perhaps learning coaching) would help kinda back Cathro's authority? 

Its a break from the standard which is amazing to see. Its not criticism just a question :)

Really happy to hear this! Seem's like we'll have an incredibly forward thinking young management team.

Obviously Boyd and fullerton are talking nonsense but I can't help but think having someone in the management team who has played at a high level (perhaps learning coaching) would help kinda back Cathro's authority?

Its a break from the standard which is amazing to see. Its not criticism just a question :)

Craig Levein?

If it is Cathro with MacPhee it may be a joint position like Sweden & Iceland have done, perhaps with a 3rd coach, a Billy Brown, Tommy Craig character who does the shouting.

Considering the recent comments from certain ex players in the press maybe Levein will try and shield him a bit from the press.

Just a thought.

If McPhee is appointed this week it really will be forward thinking as he was pictured at Ibrox yesterday and will no doubt have a good idea of what this week's opponents are about.

The_razors_edge

I posted it in another thread but I have been reliably informed the SFA want him to give up his businesses and his NI role to be performance director. Would be nice thought that HMFC gazump the SFA for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...a bit disco

I posted it in another thread but I have been reliably informed the SFA want him to give up his businesses and his NI role to be performance director. Would be nice thought that HMFC gazump the SFA for him

:biggrin:

Indeed.

And some people think they hate us now!

I don't give a shite about the sfa. This could be one of the most exciting things to happen with Hearts for many years and as has already been said, some of the seethe coming out of the weeji Meeja tells me they are bricking it. Bring it I say.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Fullerton and Boyd are both old school neanderthals who think that managing egos in the dressing room is all about having a stronger ego or about "commanding respect". Intelligent man management doesn't figure in their world.

The question mark about Cathro's leadership ability, however, will be raised every time we slip up or have a bad day at the office. 

Another worry will be whether or not Cathro and MacPhee can work together. Both have very similar visions and their individual success has been built around being the only football analysis and coaching guru in a team. I'm not sure it'll work having them both working together.

That said, I do like Levein's thinking about bringing the best coaching talent to Hearts to build potentially the best football academy in the land.

Hope it works!

Throw in Takis Fyssas and I'd break.

Actually, ignore that. I just mentioned Fyssas because he once said he'd like a return to Hearts. The idea of Cathro and Macphee is already very exciting.

MacPhee is one of the two main candidates for the Scotland performance director gig and impressed in his interview.

It might be a tough job to attract him to the club if the SFA job is his to take.

If it happened the club will have made moves for two of the brightest coaches around in the UK and we could hardly accuse them of lacking ambition.

Of course any managerial appointment is a risk but in terms of doing the preparation to become a manager both names mentioned can hardly be faulted.

Seymour M Hersh

You have to figure that if the article is accurate then Cathro must have ok'd he approach. I doubt CL would just two coaches randomly and tell them to work together.

portobellojambo1

Scotland on Sunday article on the Cathro thread

From reading what I have, may not be everything and I'd imagine anything produced by the press will bear their own wording/twist, it does appear that if McPhee is brought in it will be to perform a specific job at HMFC, but not the head coach role. Does seem to be very good at what he does but I think Cathro will be the man targeted for the top position but he will be a good man to have in back up.

Winston Ingram

The suggestion that MacPhee will be our next head coach is nonsense, the same as any suggestion he and Cathro would be "put together" by Craig Levein or anyone else. Neilson brought in his own assistant, just as Cathro will. 

The fact is this pair are close and have been for a while... they started football academies at the same time, went in different paths (Cathro straight into Dundee United, MacPhee via East Fife and St Mirren to Northern Ireland) but remain tight. Cathro will obviously need someone he trusts in there and MacPhee seems to fit the bill. 

From MacPhee's point of view, it would seem a bit of a win win... less money than the SFA job but also a lot less hassle and he can continue with Northern Ireland. 

Like a lot of things going on just now and contrary to background noise, this is all perfectly sensible. 

I hadn't heard of MacPhee until this morning but, having dug around online a bit (not with greenminger thoroughness), he and Cathro seem an exciting prospect as a coaching team.

tartofmidlothian

The suggestion that MacPhee will be our next head coach is nonsense, the same as any suggestion he and Cathro would be "put together" by Craig Levein or anyone else. Neilson brought in his own assistant, just as Cathro will. 

The fact is this pair are close and have been for a while... they started football academies at the same time, went in different paths (Cathro straight into Dundee United, MacPhee via East Fife and St Mirren to Northern Ireland) but remain tight. Cathro will obviously need someone he trusts in there and MacPhee seems to fit the bill. 

From MacPhee's point of view, it would seem a bit of a win win... less money than the SFA job but also a lot less hassle and he can continue with Northern Ireland. 

Like a lot of things going on just now and contrary to background noise, this is all perfectly sensible. 

I think you're definitely right. Digging around I notice it was MacPhee who arranged the loan signing of Esmael Goncalves when he was at St Mirren. From none other than Rio Ave when Cathro was there.

I think you're definitely right. Digging around I notice it was MacPhee who arranged the loan signing of Esmael Goncalves when he was at St Mirren. From none other than Rio Ave when Cathro was there.

Who promptly ****ed us over in the cup final.

So basically Cathro and Macphee screwed us over in the cup.

GTF you filthy animals...

:)

As the SFA need any more reasons to screw the Famous.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

So is macphee gonna be an assistant to cathro?

It would seem so.

MacPhee's backstory is every bit as interesting and impressive as Cathro's.

Moist at the thought of these two at our club.

Needs to sort it quick too, can't have hair like that in the dugout.

Keep it long - look what happened to performances when Robbie cropped his barnet

Didn't realise he was from Kirkcaldy.

A neighbour of mine went to school with him, and is kind of mates with him, though not seen him for ages.

Also never realised he was a coach at St Mirren when they beat us for the league cup.

A neighbour of mine went to school with him, and is kind of mates with him, though not seen him for ages.

Also never realised he was a coach at St Mirren when they beat us for the league cup.

Out-thinking Gary Locke probably isn't on his CV mind you :lol:

tartofmidlothian

Born in Kirkcaldy but raised in Cupar, apparently.

How's this guy done so much and is the same age as me?

Its crazzy huh!! Folk with get up and go, dont you just hate em!!!!

Its crazzy huh!! Folk with get up and go, dont you just hate em!!!!

I do aye. Wonder if he done all his studying and global moving with a family ......

I do aye. Wonder if he done all his studying and global moving with a family ......

Not sure but you would imagine in those early days he must have been a bit of a lone wolf to take such a diverse path...

Both him and IC have impressive and colourful paths to where they find themself and amazing to think that Levein could get the pair of them to work all for the benefit of The Hearts :)

Its an unbelievable time to be a Jambo :)

Archived