Sexual abuse in Scottish football (merged)

Footballfirst

....In as many cases as possible the alleged party must be prosecuted (including posthumously) as there is no smoke without fire....

Can someone be prosecuted posthumously, even for offended as abhorrent as this..?

I P Knightley

Can someone be prosecuted posthumously, even for offended as abhorrent as this..?

Savile wasn't so I doubt it.

AlphonseCapone

Doubt it, everyone has the right to a trial and a dead person can't defend themselves.

When I played for merchi we went over and spent a few days at dalguise as our coach was friends with Gordon Neely!!! He was caretaker or something in the dalguise house?

He took us all a wander at night up a place called stewartsfield which was alleged to be haunted.

Makes me sick now to think somebody in my team might have been subjected to his abuse!!!

Footballfirst

Ex youth coach (not senior teams) and top flight assistant referee from the 70s to 83 Hugh Stevenson, accused of raping a youth player over 3 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38208329

This section of the article caught my eye and says so much about our authorities.

Pete Haynes said the abuse continued until about 1982, until he felt able to stand up to Stevenson and put a stop to it. But it would be another 10 years before he told anyone his story. He told his family and reported it to the police in 1993.

He said: "I contacted the police in Paisley, K Division. They went off and I'm fairly sure in a very short space of time Hugh Stevenson was arrested and charged."

Asked what happened to the charges, he said: "I've no idea. He never went to court."

He said he turned to the Scottish Football Association and was invited to meet the late Jim Farry, the then chief executive. He said: "They did tell me that Hugh Stevenson was known to them but he was no longer an SFA affiliate. They said they were very sorry for what had happened to me and, in way of some sort of apology, they gave me a tour of the building in Park Gardens.

"And that was it. That was the last I heard from them.

When I played for merchi we went over and spent a few days at dalguise as our coach was friends with Gordon Neely!!! He was caretaker or something in the dalguise house?

He took us all a wander at night up a place called stewartsfield which was alleged to be haunted.

Makes me sick now to think somebody in my team might have been subjected to his abuse!!!

Did the exact same with us at Danderhall Boys Club, bloody scary night that was.

Did the exact same with us at Danderhall Boys Club, bloody scary night that was.

It was mate, everybody clinging on to each other!!

I remember that when I was Merchi.

I remember going to his house and we all played pool. There were half a dozen of us there and at the time I didn't think anything of it. Whereas now you look at it in a completely different light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the 70s there was a chap involved in the club that was strongly rumoured to touching kids inappropriately. He was well known in the local area.

i wish jj was my dad

Jim farry's reaction to peter Haynes sounds pathetic. Christ this was only a few years ago.

Bloody horrible story, and I hope now its come to light, the victims receive some kind of closure.  That the beast is dead and will never face up to what he's done is a real shame for his victims as they will never really get justice for this.

I agree that this is not something we should use for point scoring and its good to see we all appear to be in agreement here over it.  You just know there will be a few cockwombles using this in songs though

Did the same when I was with Hutchie. Scary witches in the local shop , and setup Ghosts all to scare us shitless! Only 13 at the time and always remember it just didn't feel right.

But never imagined anyone was being abused, it's sickening,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New this guy Neely really well played for him in the late 60s with a team he created called Restalrig Rovers, let's just say I'm not surprised he's now in the headlines.

Francis Albert

I remember years ago getting into an argument on here with a couple of the resident hun sympathisers who were giving it the BJK stuff but refused to accept it had definitely happened at most if not all other clubs, boys brigade, cubs, churches, other sports etc.

Hopefully it was just bigotry speaking, it's frightening to think that they were really so stupid that they believed that only Celtic had a problem.

Your list of well known examples, which could easily be added to, makes you wonder why anyone thought football could possibly be immune.

I think I know the guy Peter who has come forward.

Sickening to hear what he went through.

It won't be easy but it is a good thing that it's coming to light.

Seymour M Hersh

Off topic but youth sports in the 70's and before must have been a magnet for these sick *******s. I remember there was a swimming coach who used to hang around the Commie pool all the time that even then gave me the creeps so I avoided him. I'm sure he got done years later for abuse. 

I think that most fans now realise that sexual abuse is an issue at any football club whether Boys Clubs underage Juveniles or Professional Senior Clubs.My sons  have played football at all levels and I have experience of how the system works or doesnt as the case maybe.

Back in the 80s football coaches could take young lads away on trips without much scrutiny.And so most of us parents let our boys go to wherever with guys who seemed decent enough.The scouts the boys brigade  and so on also applied.Looking back i distinctly remember the dodginess of one of our leaders but as a young teenager then in the early 60s it was difficult to tell your parents.Anyway I was aware but not affected.But others may have been whether football connected or through Scouts etc.

it is very uncomfortable but there was a guy called Neil Strachan who helped out as a coach at a juvenile team called Celtic East circa 1991.This  guy was subsequently involved for a brief period in coaching at Hearts youth teams circa 1993.I doubt that that he was officially employed.Neil Strachan was later convicted for sexual assault and rape of very young children and was part of paediophile ring.

More recent.Tyncastle BC had a coach Scott Ferrie who was convicted after secrectly videoing boys as they changed in dressing rooms at the David Lloyd Health Centre.It is well evidenced that parents raised issues concerning Ferries behaviour over a period of time prior to this incident.It included unauthorised visits with players to the DLH C without the parents knowledge,constant sexualised comments and taking the team to a gay sex shop whilst on football trip to Amsterdam.Ferrie was drunk on the the trip to the extent that the team missed the flight home costing the club a lot of money.It seemed like an obvious sacking offence but Tyncastle brushed it off.

Tyncastle BC actively resisted  parents complaints by not producing their child protection procedures or by not giving the number of their appointed Child Protection Officer.( mysteriously absent from their website at the time)They ignored parental concerns about Ferrie and he went on a trip abroad with a team at a time when concerns were being raised.

Despite the evidence Tyncastle FC failed to bar him from coaching and the SYFA failed to bar him from coaching or notify Firrhill school where he worked a learning assistant-that he might pose a danger to children.The Daily Mail took this issue up in an article by by Marcello  Mega Tuesday June 19th 2012.i dont have a link.

Totally agree with you.

However after all the "peado" taunts we have had to suffer from idiot Hibs fans over the past few years there is bound to be some 'pay back' from some.

Don't forget the hundreds of our supporters who for years have taken great joy in singing about the sexual abuse of children at Parkhead! Hope every single one of them is ashamed of themselves!

Don't forget the hundreds of our supporters who for years have taken great joy in singing about the sexual abuse of children at Parkhead! Hope every single one of them is ashamed of themselves!

100% in agreement. It's horrible behaviour

This is absolutely awful stuff and probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Thevweevadvert before the video should be removed, it's a bit unprofessional having an inflatable dinosaur floating about saying 'whatever the occasion it's joy time' before then playing a video of an abuser talking about child abuse.

IMG_1814.JPG.3168490212966bf7b5d1e0f8414

Did Celtic know about this and fail to contact the authorities?

How this guy able to continue within football with access to young people is staggering.

Rudolf's Mate

How this guy able to continue within football with access to young people is staggering.

Also worked for Falkirk & Hibs!

I P Knightley

I'd forgotten about how the newspapers would use the codeword "bachelor"...

I think that most fans now realise that sexual abuse is an issue at any football club whether Boys Clubs underage Juveniles or Professional Senior Clubs.My sons  have played football at all levels and I have experience of how the system works or doesnt as the case maybe.

Back in the 80s football coaches could take young lads away on trips without much scrutiny.And so most of us parents let our boys go to wherever with guys who seemed decent enough.The scouts the boys brigade  and so on also applied.Looking back i distinctly remember the dodginess of one of our leaders but as a young teenager then in the early 60s it was difficult to tell your parents.Anyway I was aware but not affected.But others may have been whether football connected or through Scouts etc.

it is very uncomfortable but there was a guy called Neil Strachan who helped out as a coach at a juvenile team called Celtic East circa 1991.This  guy was subsequently involved for a brief period in coaching at Hearts youth teams circa 1993.I doubt that that he was officially employed.Neil Strachan was later convicted for sexual assault and rape of very young children and was part of paediophile ring.

More recent.Tyncastle BC had a coach Scott Ferrie who was convicted after secrectly videoing boys as they changed in dressing rooms at the David Lloyd Health Centre.It is well evidenced that parents raised issues concerning Ferries behaviour over a period of time prior to this incident.It included unauthorised visits with players to the DLH C without the parents knowledge,constant sexualised comments and taking the team to a gay sex shop whilst on football trip to Amsterdam.Ferrie was drunk on the the trip to the extent that the team missed the flight home costing the club a lot of money.It seemed like an obvious sacking offence but Tyncastle brushed it off.

Tyncastle BC actively resisted  parents complaints by not producing their child protection procedures or by not giving the number of their appointed Child Protection Officer.( mysteriously absent from their website at the time)They ignored parental concerns about Ferrie and he went on a trip abroad with a team at a time when concerns were being raised.

Despite the evidence Tyncastle FC failed to bar him from coaching and the SYFA failed to bar him from coaching or notify Firrhill school where he worked a learning assistant-that he might pose a danger to children.The Daily Mail took this issue up in an article by by Marcello  Mega Tuesday June 19th 2012.i dont have a link.

My grandson was on that trip to Amsterdam and I met Ferrie a couple of times. Seemed more a Jack the Lad than a paedophile. Just shows you can't tell

Partick Thistle just confirmed that they are investigating an alleged historical assault, obviously more to follow.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd forgotten about how the newspapers would use the codeword "bachelor"...

When I was a kid, my church minister was a bachelor, up to the point he was caught cottaging with rent boys. He committed suicide.

When I was a kid, my church minister was a bachelor, up to the point he was caught cottaging with rent boys. He committed suicide.

:mellow:

So this guy left his job at Celtic because he was being investigated, it was even in the press.

Still goes onto working for Hibs and Falkirk???

So this guy left his job at Celtic because he was being investigated, it was even in the press.

Still goes onto working for Hibs and Falkirk???

Wonder if they contacted the Police? You'd have thought if they did they would have come out with a similar statement to Rangers.

The fact that he resigned probably means he was pushed and the fact that he's admitted to abusing 4 or 5 Celtic youth players means that the club 'could' have known this.

When he went to Hibs, did Hibs ask for a reference? I'd assume they would have so if it wasn't pointed out to them then why was he hired?

Of course that is all just speculation but something doesn't seem right about how it has been dealt with in the past and how he was able to continue in a job within Scottish football.

queensferryjambo

Wow that is a pretty good piece by Tam McManus (never thought I would ever write those words) his insight into Jim McCafferty and his activities at Celtic is eye opening and the fact that McCafferty got a job at Hibs is nothing short of astounding given what McManus had to say.

Decent piece as mentioned. How the f this guy got anywhere near young boys after his previous is just bewildering.

Frightening stuff. Football could easily be as bad as all the Saville stuff.

Decent piece as mentioned. How the f this guy got anywhere near young boys after his previous is just bewildering.

Frightening stuff. Football could easily be as bad as all the Saville stuff.

Not sure what you mean by 'as bad' but if you mean more victims.....I have absolutely no doubt there will be more numbers involved. It's just a case of them having the bravery to step forward.  

Not sure what you mean by 'as bad' but if you mean more victims.....I have absolutely no doubt there will be more numbers involved. It's just a case of them having the bravery to step forward.

By as bad I meant numbers.

McCafferty getting jobs at Hibs and Falkirk(especially working with youths) after being sacked and basically outed as a paedophile in the media is pretty scandalous. Not sure how that situation could even happen to be honest,

McCafferty getting jobs at Hibs and Falkirk(especially working with youths) after being sacked and basically outed as a paedophile in the media is pretty scandalous. Not sure how that situation could even happen to be honest,

Totally right

It's like the culture was sweep it under the carpet because he's a good coach! Shocking

Hopefully the SFA task force that Regan announced will ask the necessary questions and make public\publish a report when they have concluded their investigations. Any Club found to have put their reputation before that of the victims should be named.

Did Celtic report their suspicions to the police. If not why not especially having had to deal with a similar case years earlier.

Did this guy respond to job adverts to get employment with Hibs and Falkirk, did he apply to the Clubs or did the Clubs approach him.

Did Hibs and Falkirk take up references from previous employers if so what did the references say

The investigation needs to be public, open and transparent so that any further victims feel confident enough to come forward and as an Football Association we need to be able to show that allegations are taken seriously and nothing is swept under the carpet and that we now have sufficient checks within the system to minimise\prevent this happening in the future .  

Carefully check twitter re John James guy and Richard Gough.

S'all I'm saying.

If those age old rumours turn out to be true, then I look forward to the investigation exposing David Murray and the Scottish press for covering up any evidence. Or so the old rumour alleges.

Hopefully the SFA task force that Regan announced will ask the necessary questions and make public\publish a report when they have concluded their investigations. Any Club found to have put their reputation before that of the victims should be named.

Did Celtic report their suspicions to the police. If not why not especially having had to deal with a similar case years earlier.

Did this guy respond to job adverts to get employment with Hibs and Falkirk, did he apply to the Clubs or did the Clubs approach him.

Did Hibs and Falkirk take up references from previous employers if so what did the references say

The investigation needs to be public, open and transparent so that any further victims feel confident enough to come forward and as an Football Association we need to be able to show that allegations are taken seriously and nothing is swept under the carpet and that we now have sufficient checks within the system to minimise\prevent this happening in the future .  

pretty sure they just said on stv news that the SFA were not investigating it and were going to wait and see, i assume that means "heads under the carpet until some **** boots us up the erse"

Archived