Sexual abuse in Scottish football (merged)

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

From the currant bun

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/259020/rangers-fired-abuse-quiz-coach-gordon-neely/

FOOTIE KIDS BOMBSHELL

Rangers fired abuse quiz coach Gordon Neely after boy made allegations against him

The Ibrox club revealed they alerted cops after top youth coach Neely was accused of inappropriate behaviour towards a teenage player

RANGERS sacked a coach after a boy made abuse allegations against him, the club revealed last night. Then-manager Graeme Souness axed youth scout Gordon Neely ? who worked with the Light Blues between 1986 and 1990 ? following a claim of inappropriate behaviour.

Neely was dismissed at a meeting attended by Souness and his assistant Walter Smith. The showdown took place in 1990 after the youngster confided in his dad ? a serving police officer ? about an incident involving Neely. The club alerted cops.

An Ibrox spokesman said: ?Rangers is now aware of an alleged incident involving an individual who worked very briefly for the club more than 25 years ago.
?It?s understood the individual was dismissed immediately and that the police were informed.? The statement went on: ?Rangers wishes to stress that all employees adhere to the strictest codes of conduct, especially when dealing with children and young people.

?Rangers haven?t been approached by Police Scotland or any authority regarding this allegation.? The claim comes to light as cops throughout Britain probe claims of historical sex abuse in football. But it is not connected to Police Scotland?s current investigation into ?non-recent? cases.

Star-spotter Neely was one of the game?s most sought-after youth coaches when he left Hibernian in 1986 to join Souness at Rangers. But his footie career effectively ended when he was axed after more than three years at Ibrox. He died of cancer two years ago, aged 62.

Last night a source told The Scottish Sun on Sunday: ?Neely was called into a meeting with Souness and Smith and was sacked. ?There?s no suggestion there was any physical contact between him and the youngster but something was said in a one-to-one situation, which led to the lad telling his dad. ?His father was a cop and went straight to Ibrox and demanded a meeting with the manager. ?Neely was never heard of in football circles again.? Last night Souness, 63, and Smith, 68, were both unavailable for comment.

Neely began his coaching career with Edina Hibs and Hutchison Vale boys? clubs in Edinburgh. He helped to teach a number of talented kids who went on to enjoy successful football careers. Neely worked for Dundee United?s legendary boss Jim McLean to recruit promising players to the club before he joined Hibernian. The Edinburgh club then accused Rangers of poaching their top talent spotter after he announced he was moving to the Old Firm giants. After being informed of the allegation concerning their ex-employee, a Hibs spokesman said last night: ?We are not aware of any complaints being made at the time but that does not mean we should be complacent.?

Hutchison Vale club leader Tam Smith also said he?d not heard of any misconduct claims against him. Mr Smith, who took up his post in 1989, years after Neely had left, said: ?I?ve heard of him and I know he was well known at the club before my time. ?But I?m not aware of any allegations being made about his conduct while he was here. ?I am aware things have been tightened up very much for the better. In those days, anyone could start a football team and no one checked their background. ?We can never be complacent but, in common with 90 per cent of clubs, we now have a child protection officer and I think we take better care now than in the past.? Mr Smith, an ex-cop who has worked with children for 23 years as a social worker, added: ?We have to keep making sure we give kids opportunities ? and that we always put their interests and safety first.?

...a bit disco

http://FB_IMG_1480806989720_zpsx83zhnr3.jpg

Well that explains the origins of the Mickey Weir Song.

Sir Craig Beattie

Oh no will this stop there big jock knew nonsense???

Probably not. They sacked him on the spot and there was no physical contact.

Big Slim Stylee

This could put an end to the BJK stuff

This could put an end to the BJK stuff

No of course it won't :(  There's enough in there for them en masse to say "the difference is Rangers acted immediately, all reported, no contact, Dad was polis," etc. etc.  In this case, they're correct and it would take a shed load more for them to give up that rather pathetic/disgusting bragging right .

Aside from the fact I definitely don't think anyone should be using stuff like this as "bragging rights", mostly because it's just despicable behaviour, I also don't think anyone should be adopting the immediate assumption their own clubs aren't going to be linked in some way. If your club had kids around, there's always a chance.

Get the feeling this is all just the type of the iceberg and there's a lot more to come out.

It should never be a topic for whataboutery, bragging rights or one-upmanship, sadly it's Scottish football, and dignity, taste and sensitivity has never been it's forte.

Best to hold counsel as the admin says, there will be more to come out.

Aside from the fact I definitely don't think anyone should be using stuff like this as "bragging rights", mostly because it's just despicable behaviour, I also don't think anyone should be adopting the immediate assumption their own clubs aren't going to be linked in some way. If your club had kids around, there's always a chance.

Get the feeling this is all just the type of the iceberg and there's a lot more to come out.

Have to agree with this and anyone making smart comments re this subject should be told in no uncertain terms to shut it.

There will be many cases arising from this investigation and the majority will be from quite a few years ago with those involved not working at clubs or running the clubs involved now but we should await the results of any investigations and stop trying to score childish schoolboy points over other clubs.

Big Slim Stylee

Absolutely agree.  It's not just football, sports, etc.  I absolutely promise you that.

I remember years ago getting into an argument on here with a couple of the resident hun sympathisers who were giving it the BJK stuff but refused to accept it had definitely happened at most if not all other clubs, boys brigade, cubs, churches, other sports etc.

Hopefully it was just bigotry speaking, it's frightening to think that they were really so stupid that they believed that only Celtic had a problem.

It should never be a topic for whataboutery, bragging rights or one-upmanship, sadly it's Scottish football, and dignity, taste and sensitivity has never been it's forte.

Best to hold counsel as the admin says, there will be more to come out.

Perfectly said

Agreed there is every chance many many clubs will be implicated in this

Footballfirst

I agree with most of the posts above.  My main reason for posting it was the irony of those who perpetuate the BJK story, but fail to appreciate that there is a wider issue of abuse that has occurred at many clubs across the country and it is not aligned to any religious, colour, ethnic or race groupings.

However I do hope that football fans do finally react to the wider news story and stop the "your club is full paedos" stuff and realise that their own clubs may have had similar issues in the past..

Looking at this in isolation, it appears Rangers did entirely the right thing in terms of this reported instance.

So the coach done something inappropriate, rangers called the police and sacked him. What's the story here?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

alicante jambo

I agree his name is.They done the right thing.Was going on for years at celtic even up until a few months ago a woman worker at celtic was getting sexually harrased even peter lewell knew about it and celtic payed her to be quiete.

Looking at this in isolation, it appears Rangers did entirely the right thing in terms of this reported instance.

It certainly seems that they did, but as more and more investigations into historical child abuse, and more and more victims come forward, it might be naive to assume that it was an isolated incident, or that they are the only affected Club.

It certainly seems that they did, but as more and more investigations into historical child abuse, and more and more victims come forward, it might be naive to assume that it was an isolated incident, or that they are the only affected Club.

EDIT: I wasn't suggesting Peebo was making these assumptions - it was just a general point.

I was at a basket ball game in Florida and the camera went to three people with Rangers tops on who had a banner saying " big Jock knew"

FFS. Harrowing to think what they kids went through. ****ing sin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly something I'm comfortable point scoring with, hopefully nobody else does.

This seems to be a problem that is deeply rooted in the UK game. Wouldn't be surprised if someone connected to hearts pops up.

Really not a point scoring thing this - what an utter sin. The worst thing anyone can do is abuse trust and power over kids like that. Let's leave the Hibs bit out.

Not exactly something I'm comfortable point scoring with, hopefully nobody else does.

This seems to be a problem that is deeply rooted in the UK game. Wouldn't be surprised if someone connected to hearts pops up.

Correct. And I hope the Hibs fans who love to throw the paedo line at is realise this. And all team's fans.

I genuinely hope we do not lower ourselves to the same level as the scumbags on Hibs.net and point score with this. Just as Thomson and Rix do not sum up HMFC, this disgusting creature does not sum up Hibs.

Let's leave that sort of despicable behaviour to Pretty Boy and Peter Douglas.

FFS. Harrowing to think what they kids went through. ******* sin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True seems deplorable that back only 30 years ago it was also being hidden by people who knew it was happening. How can someone live knowing they are helping cover this sort of stuff up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sunday school teacher was biggest beast I ever encountered, it would have destroyed my parents to expose him. Even at 8 year old I knew how to avoid getting into a situation where he could take advantage.

GorgieRules22

I don't think you'll find anyone connected to Hearts point scoring on this one but rest assured if it was a coach at Hearts that was being exposed our neighbours would go to town. They regularly sing about people dying and peadophiles and mostly they do it while standing around children.

Very alarming that went on back in the day and very widespread, sad.

Jesus, I  was at a football camp at Dalguise with this cretin around about 1978.

Gives me the fear even thinking about it.

Edited to add that I was unaware of any abuse to anyone.

This guy was on our club trip in 1991 to Germany.

He knew our manager at the time and was invited along because it was about the time he must've been let go by Rangers. Disturbing.

We were under 18 level at the time.

It might shut up the morons who have used the paedo line against us since Rix

Doubt it. To even go down that route in the first hand, they are clearly to scummy to show any class now.

Sunday school teacher was biggest beast I ever encountered, it would have destroyed my parents to expose him. Even at 8 year old I knew how to avoid getting into a situation where he could take advantage.

Did you ever tell anyone?

I already see Hearts fans on twitter using this as a points scoring exercise. Pathetic

They are not real Hearts fans -anyone who does this should be reported to club -don't need their like at Tynecastle

Nucky Thompson

Doubt it. To even go down that route in the first hand, they are clearly to scummy to show any class now.

I went over to Hibs.net to see what they were saying about it and there is nothing. There is a thread about sexual abuse and only one poster has posted a link about the Hibs connection.

Nobody has commented on it, it's like they are banned from talking about it

I went over to Hibs.net to see what they were saying about it and there is nothing. There is a thread about sexual abuse and only one poster has posted a link about the Hibs connection.

Nobody has commented on it, it's like they are banned from talking about it

They talk about these sort of things on the Private Members board before putting it on the public forum. All a bit too late on this one though as "Saviledome", "Hertz are paedos", "The Saviles" etc comments can be found on almost every thread over there, usually egged on and promoted by their admins like Pretty Boy. Have a look at their 'Yams new stand' thread as an example. They will be forcibly laying down the current position on the PM board as we speak, and when it hits the public forum they will all be singing from the same song sheet. Feel sorry for their mods though, as for that to be successful they have some amount of old comments to edit and delete.

****ing scumbags.

This is horrendous and there has definately been a cover up somewhere, whether it is individuals, clubs or press.

Earl of Mothsbery comments are spot on.

I've read Rangers media's view on this, not enough facepalms in the world for that lot. More concerned that they did the 'protestant thing' instead of acknowledging that there was a paedo working within their club for 3 years. Hibs support just seem in denial about the whole thing, a 'if we don't talk about it, it never happened' the exact attitude that let folk like Gordon Neely get away with it for years.

It's a horrible topic to point score on as you just never know what has happened at your club in the past.

These are peadophiles who use this type of employment to prey on young, vulnerable boys. The football isn't what interests them - they have used the game and built up any coaching know how they have not to benefit young footballers and make them better but to find a position of trust to make it easier for them to abuse.

It doesn't matter the about the club in question - the clubs themselves are often victims in this whole thing that is coming to light. Hibs included.

It's a horrible topic to point score on as you just never know what has happened at your club in the past.

These are peadophiles who use this type of employment to prey on young, vulnerable boys. The football isn't what interests them - they have used the game and built up any coaching know how they have not to benefit young footballers and make them better but to find a position of trust to make it easier for them to abuse.

It doesn't matter the about the club in question - the clubs themselves are often victims in this whole thing that is coming to light. Hibs included.

Exactly.

Unless you're talking some sort of organised institutional abuse and/or associated cover-ups, a lot of the time the organisations themselves were (and are) exploited  by people who go to great lengths in order to gain access to potential victims. These days there's a lot more awareness of how it all works, and child protection is a big part of any sort of business that works with young people, but back then it was so different. The sad truth is that it's just as likely to have been Hearts as it was any other club.

The rumours about Neely were around before he went to rangers or hibs. He was at it at hutchie. I went to Dalguise and pretty sure there was one boy in the team he was abusing, maybe more than one. I was lucky, nothing happened to me and I left shortly after. *** beast.

I remember years ago getting into an argument on here with a couple of the resident hun sympathisers who were giving it the BJK stuff but refused to accept it had definitely happened at most if not all other clubs, boys brigade, cubs, churches, other sports etc.

Hopefully it was just bigotry speaking, it's frightening to think that they were really so stupid that they believed that only Celtic had a problem.

Do you have a link for that it would be interesting reading now that this story has appeared

Totally agree with you.

However after all the "peado" taunts we have had to suffer from idiot Hibs fans over the past few years there is bound to be some 'pay back' from some.

It was always likely that the filth peddling by Hibs fans would rebound on them and, sadly, it has.

It's not a topic of hilarity or a "bragging right" but that lowlife have gleefully utilised it as such. They should be ashamed of themselves but doubt they're capable.

Inevitably, there will be online mud-slinging by Hearts "fans" but not on JKB, hopefully.

A_A wehatethehibs

That it has come this far before the players involved went public with this is the real shame. These ex players who have come forward deserve real credit for their courage, they have done the country a massive favour in their efforts to break the stigma felt by those who have experienced abuse.

Can only hope enough evidence is presented to ensure in every possible case due retribution is served to any individuals involved with what is one of the most severe criminal activities there is.

The club in which any abuse takes place is of total and complete irrelevance - an abuser goes to great legnths to cover their tracks. What is relevant is the individuals involved, including anybody who may have looked the other way and the evidence in support of a guilty or not guilty verdict. In as many cases as possible the alleged party must be prosecuted (including posthumously) as there is no smoke without fire.

One thing I would say is that you would hope that better protection is in place for children involved in the higher levels of the modern game, in line with general improvement in child protection across society over the last 30 years, but there are some poorly run hinterland football clubs out there so further legal change to protect young sports players across the country may be required. Fully back those leading the investigations to pull through and do a great job in bringing as many culprits to justice as possible.

Archived