Jump to content
Buffalo Bill

Aberdeen's new stadium...

Recommended Posts

sadj
28 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I'd be more concerned about The £50m +, transport will be ok.

 

lots of stadiums have managed the transport links ok, if not great.

 

where is the money coming from and what's the expected pay pack time?

Its phreee munni from donations or investors or something is it not. Thats what i got from the we only need 35million chat from the sheepy. Maybe i just gave up taking in their lunacy. 

 

The transport links yes but there is no real plan in place again youd assume that would be done prior. All we seem to get is most people wont go from the city centre so itll be easier for most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh: I nearly forgot they have to spirit up and pay for a fleet of buses for every game.

 

On a more basic level, I don't know the area, but given how people talk about the weather, it does seem mental that they don't have plans for an indoor pitch in their state of the art training centre

That area floods badly when its wet. Aberdeen stops at a flake of snow. The road infrastructure to the city centre is poor. To be honest Loriston would of been far better. Did one of the sheep not say its somethjng they will add later its not included in the plans for now. Does seem idiotic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WeeChuck'sHeed
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Its phreee munni from donations or investors or something is it not. Thats what i got from the we only need 35million chat from the sheepy. Maybe i just gave up taking in their lunacy. 

 

The transport links yes but there is no real plan in place again youd assume that would be done prior. All we seem to get is most people wont go from the city centre so itll be easier for most

 

Even £35m is a fair amount.....

 

I'd assume they can tell where folk live from their database of ST sales, I don't think it will be as bad as folk on here are making out.

Won't be fun on match day, but like anything, I.e a concert or even hampden as examples- if using the car or public transport you need to plan an extra 30 minutes. not the end of the world and pretty common.

 

The cash would be my concern, even £35m at £2m a season is the best part of 20 years.

 

how much is coming from the sale of their current ground?

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
2 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

 

Even £35m is a fair amount.....

 

I'd assume they can tell where folk live from their database of ST sales, I don't think it will be as bad as folk on here are making out.

Won't be fun on match day, but like anything, I.e a concert or even hampden as examples- if using the car or public transport you need to plan an extra 30 minutes. not the end of the world and pretty common.

 

The cash would be my concern, even £35m at £2m a season is the best part of 20 years.

 

how much is coming from the sale of their current ground?

Sure sheepy said £15m which is why they only have to get £35m

 

I think peoples issue with the transport links is theres no clear plan and if anyone knows this area its a very protracted travel time even now let alone on a matchday. 

 

Supoorters buses is one thing as they will be able to come off the bypass but parking is a concern for those travelling in cars and then those coming from the city centre its as above. 

 

The snowstorms in Edinburgh this year were bad but you get the same level of disruption up here if there is basically a flake of snow 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john brownlee

When HMFC moved to tynecastle it was in the outskirts of Edinburgh, so maybe the sheep a looking to the future.

was up in Aberdeen just recently and it was pretty visible that there lots of house building on the outskirts of the city.

so to me it makes sense to move to a bigger and better facility.

you never know it might stop all the weegie traveling sheep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WeeChuck'sHeed
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Sure sheepy said £15m which is why they only have to get £35m

 

I think peoples issue with the transport links is theres no clear plan and if anyone knows this area its a very protracted travel time even now let alone on a matchday. 

 

Supoorters buses is one thing as they will be able to come off the bypass but parking is a concern for those travelling in cars and then those coming from the city centre its as above. 

 

The snowstorms in Edinburgh this year were bad but you get the same level of disruption up here if there is basically a flake of snow 🙈

 

I'm not sure about the weather. sounds like it could be an issue, tho.

 

But the transport , I'd be a bit meh. hardly a reason not to build something.

Most things nowadays look to restrict car parking and encourage public transport, tynecastle isn't great for cars either but ofc we are good for buses and trains.

Seems like it would be overcome.

 

£35m is allot for a Scottish team to pay back by regular means.I'd be much more concerned worth that, particularly as unlike us they won't benefit from increased capacity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
7 hours ago, sadj said:

That area floods badly when its wet. Aberdeen stops at a flake of snow. The road infrastructure to the city centre is poor. To be honest Loriston would of been far better. Did one of the sheep not say its somethjng they will add later its not included in the plans for now. Does seem idiotic

Yeah one of them did say that, think he said he'd spoken with one of the main dudes. 

But it's not in the current plans, no permission has been sought or granted, and it hasn't been budgeted for.

 

I do remember one of them saying they'll just chuck up four walls though :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EIEIO
Posted (edited)

According to Google maps I live 11.1 miles from tynecastle and it's a 29 minute drive away in reality it is a 30 minute drive and 15 minute walk on match days. If I go by bus it is 40 minutes to roseburn or 45 minutes to Haymarket plus a 15 or 20 minute walk. While the Aberdeen city centre to stadium distances are less than this the times seem wildly optimistic.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

 

I'm not sure about the weather. sounds like it could be an issue, tho.

 

But the transport , I'd be a bit meh. hardly a reason not to build something.

Most things nowadays look to restrict car parking and encourage public transport, tynecastle isn't great for cars either but ofc we are good for buses and trains.

Seems like it would be overcome.

 

£35m is allot for a Scottish team to pay back by regular means.I'd be much more concerned worth that, particularly as unlike us they won't benefit from increased capacity.

 

 

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

According to Google maps I live 11.1 miles from tynecastle and it's a 29 minute drive away in reality it is a 30 minute drive and 15 minute walk on match days. If I go by bus it is 40 minutes to roseburn or 45 minutes to Haymarket plus a 15 or 20 minute walk. While the Aberdeen city centre to stadium distances are less than this the times seem wildly optimistic.

Its essentially a generous 8miles to Kingsford from the city centre. But its a very slow moving road and definately not walkable there no path for some of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

We're ahead of the game with all the local knowledge

 

Cheers guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

They are downgrading the capacity by at least a couple of thousand. Aberdeen fans are very fairweather fans. Allowing for a 10% increase due to a new shiny stadium theyd still not be filling it based on my rough calculations of their attendances this year. Poor weather its less likely to garner attendance than Pittodrie Id suggest due to location and logistics. Despite what the sheepy say oh here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio

It's a degree or 3 colder in the winter at Kingsford.

Weather is not a issue. Getting Aberdeen fans out there if 2 or 3 teams are above them will be.  Personally I would like to see them finish 4th and lose momentum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

They are downgrading the capacity by at least a couple of thousand. Aberdeen fans are very fairweather fans. Allowing for a 10% increase due to a new shiny stadium theyd still not be filling it based on my rough calculations of their attendances this year. Poor weather its less likely to garner attendance than Pittodrie Id suggest due to location and logistics. Despite what the sheepy say oh here

 

They're certainly fairweather but not nearly as much so as Hibs! The Sheep do get some strangely low crowds at times, especially for midweek games and cup competitions while still pulling out an impressive away support, which, of course does not financially benefit them in the slightest.  If they can maintain a decent level of performance though, said fairweather fans will turn up and they'll be able to fill the new gaff fairly well, though only completely for the big games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Homme

I'm all for new stadia. It'll be an asset to Scottish football.

 

I don't go to pittodrie and the less fans they have turn up at their stadium the more it makes them look like the no longer famous diddy outfit they are. 

 

So hopefully it gets the go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
10 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

They're certainly fairweather but not nearly as much so as Hibs! The Sheep do get some strangely low crowds at times, especially for midweek games and cup competitions while still pulling out an impressive away support, which, of course does not financially benefit them in the slightest.  If they can maintain a decent level of performance though, said fairweather fans will turn up and they'll be able to fill the new gaff fairly well, though only completely for the big games.

I think theyve been around 17000/18000 for their big games this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Royal Jambo
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

Good example. They also have an excellent matchday bus service with shuttle buses leaving from the train station and buses coming in from every area of Reading even as far out as Newbury to the Madejski.  After the match all buses would leave 15 mins after the final whistle. There would be multiple shuttles for the train station so not much of a wait around for them either. 

 

I would expect and hope something like this to be in place for an out of town stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XB52
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

The post you quoted said no increased capacity which is true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, Royal Jambo said:

Good example. They also have an excellent matchday bus service with shuttle buses leaving from the train station and buses coming in from every area of Reading even as far out as Newbury to the Madejski.  After the match all buses would leave 15 mins after the final whistle. There would be multiple shuttles for the train station so not much of a wait around for them either. 

 

I would expect and hope something like this to be in place for an out of town stadium.

 I work with a Reading Season Ticket holder, originally from the town.  He and his son regularly make use of all these services.  He's in his 60s and grew up watching them in much smaller crowds at the delapidated Elm Park.  The advent of the Madejski and the transport infrastructure put in place around it has totally reinvented that club, which thrives despite being so close to London.  Newbury's football fans used to be split between Reading and Swindon but with the change in the clubs' respective fortunes in the last 15 years and that bus service, I imagine the balance has swung overwhelmingly in Reading's favour nowadays.

 

Aberdeen is 150 miles from Glasgow and if they have any brains at all, they'd look to emulate the Reading model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The post you quoted said no increased capacity which is true

 

I know they won't have an increased capacity but the new gaff is surely going to be a much nicer place to watch football than Pittodrie, which could attract extra fans a la Reading, Cardiff & Swansea, all of whom used to have shitty grounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XB52
2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

I know they won't have an increased capacity but the new gaff is surely going to be a much nicer place to watch football than Pittodrie, which could attract extra fans a la Reading, Cardiff & Swansea, all of whom used to have shitty grounds.

Didn't work for any other club in Scotland but I actually hope it does work out as we need as many well supported clubs we can get

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

I know they won't have an increased capacity but the new gaff is surely going to be a much nicer place to watch football than Pittodrie, which could attract extra fans a la Reading, Cardiff & Swansea, all of whom used to have shitty grounds.

It cant be worse than Pittodrie 😂 , inside and out the facilities are a disgrace for a team at the top of the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Didn't work for any other club in Scotland but I actually hope it does work out as we need as many well supported clubs we can get

With 2 notable exceptions I strongly agree with you.  The OF really are a blight on sport and wider society in so many ways and have ruined Scottish Football. Other countries have big dominant clubs too but not to the degree of total strangulation for decades on end as in Scotland.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucille's Thirsty
On 25/04/2018 at 00:49, sadj said:

Did AB not address this for after other things have been done when JKB sat down with her?

 

I think you are correct, she said that other things are more of a priority while the enhancing of the other three stands we’re going to get done down the line. Some of us myself included want Tynecastle to be the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
6 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

 I work with a Reading Season Ticket holder, originally from the town.  He and his son regularly make use of all these services.  He's in his 60s and grew up watching them in much smaller crowds at the delapidated Elm Park.  The advent of the Madejski and the transport infrastructure put in place around it has totally reinvented that club, which thrives despite being so close to London.  Newbury's football fans used to be split between Reading and Swindon but with the change in the clubs' respective fortunes in the last 15 years and that bus service, I imagine the balance has swung overwhelmingly in Reading's favour nowadays.

 

Aberdeen is 150 miles from Glasgow and if they have any brains at all, they'd look to emulate the Reading model.

There are interesting hurdles to overcome. 

For example, the bus service we talk of - there aren't enough buses in the area to do the job on a Saturday afternoon, and exactly because they're not close to large population centres they'll rely on first bus (IIRC) bringing buses long distances to cater for games - that won't be cheap, and may not even be possible in circumstances like strikes, weather in original city, local roadworks etc.

Also, the dons guys on here said that rather than 100 buses leaving at once it would be a smaller number doing repeat runs, so if you're on one of the last buses, how long have you waited? Each bus will take, what, 30 or 40 minutes to get back, assuming there are no traffic slowdowns with thousands leaving at the same time.

 

I can't see that side being an enjoyable experience myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj

I would like to see us enhance the facades , fir instance on matchdays beam legends etc onto the Outer shell of the stands as fans enter , get the old wooden sign from gorgie road up somewhere or bury it in the entranceway in a shell enhancing the experience and embracing the changing of Tynecastle as they did with the bricks and mosaic. Theres loads of wee tweaks we could make to make it a more intimidating/passionate place for those times were not up for it in games. But I agree it needs to be done over time to ensure its cost effective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There are interesting hurdles to overcome. 

For example, the bus service we talk of - there aren't enough buses in the area to do the job on a Saturday afternoon, and exactly because they're not close to large population centres they'll rely on first bus (IIRC) bringing buses long distances to cater for games - that won't be cheap, and may not even be possible in circumstances like strikes, weather in original city, local roadworks etc.

Also, the dons guys on here said that rather than 100 buses leaving at once it would be a smaller number doing repeat runs, so if you're on one of the last buses, how long have you waited? Each bus will take, what, 30 or 40 minutes to get back, assuming there are no traffic slowdowns with thousands leaving at the same time.

 

I can't see that side being an enjoyable experience myself

On an average Saturday you will be 30/40 mins from Kingsford to City Centre i was that yesterday in my car on an average Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
6 minutes ago, sadj said:

On an average Saturday you will be 30/40 mins from Kingsford to City Centre i was that yesterday in my car on an average Tuesday.

Ouch, so pretty much double my guesstimate. So if you don't get that first round of buses you'll be waiting at least an hour for the next ones.

Good luck to them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There are interesting hurdles to overcome. 

For example, the bus service we talk of - there aren't enough buses in the area to do the job on a Saturday afternoon, and exactly because they're not close to large population centres they'll rely on first bus (IIRC) bringing buses long distances to cater for games - that won't be cheap, and may not even be possible in circumstances like strikes, weather in original city, local roadworks etc.

Also, the dons guys on here said that rather than 100 buses leaving at once it would be a smaller number doing repeat runs, so if you're on one of the last buses, how long have you waited? Each bus will take, what, 30 or 40 minutes to get back, assuming there are no traffic slowdowns with thousands leaving at the same time.

 

I can't see that side being an enjoyable experience myself

 

These are good points.  I just wonder how well they've thought all this through. They definitely need to leave Pittodrie but somewhere easier to get to would have been much better. Travel around Reading is grim and slow, but the fans seem happy to tolerate it as the overall matchday experience is good. It also doesn't have the bus availability issues Aberdeen has because it's in the middle ofa densely packed area.  I do wish them well with the move, because if it goes badly, the OF will just draw even more fans from the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XB52
17 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

With 2 notable exceptions I strongly agree with you.  The OF really are a blight on sport and wider society in so many ways and have ruined Scottish Football. Other countries have big dominant clubs too but not to the degree of total strangulation for decades on end as in Scotland.

 

Sorry, yes I meant outside of these 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WeeChuck'sHeed
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

 

 

eh?

their new stadium will be smaller than their current one......

 

I was questions the payback plan of the £35m.

 

Our stand has/ will benefit us in many ways helping the  payback time.

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

 

 

eh?

their new stadium will be smaller than their current one......

 

I was questions the payback plan of the £35m.

 

Our stand has/ will benefit us in many ways helping the  payback time.

 

I know all of that. My point is that a more attractive stadium may lead to increased attendances even if the total capacity is smaller.  Pittodrie is a bit of a rickety old mess with only 1 stand up to modern standards. Even if they can, I do agree with you that paying back £35m is a tall order. Our main stand has a much shorter and more achievable payback time.  They're obviously funding a whole new stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wham Bam Austin McCann

Seen Derek McInnes driving down the a90 earlier, he didn't like my GIRUY whilst my Hearts air freshener swung around.

 

Diddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wavydavy
2 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

 

 

eh?

their new stadium will be smaller than their current one......

 

I was questions the payback plan of the £35m.

 

Our stand has/ will benefit us in many ways helping the  payback time.

 

They will probably end up not paying it all back and get one of their mega rich benefactors to pick up the tab or even better get the bank to write it off like they and the Hibbees did the last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tian447
9 hours ago, john brownlee said:

When HMFC moved to tynecastle it was in the outskirts of Edinburgh, so maybe the sheep a looking to the future.

was up in Aberdeen just recently and it was pretty visible that there lots of house building on the outskirts of the city.

so to me it makes sense to move to a bigger and better facility.

you never know it might stop all the weegie traveling sheep.

 

Unsure of that to be honest.  Here's a map of Edinburgh from around the time that we moved to Tynecastle - https://maps.nls.uk/view/91790211

 

Whilst we were on the outskirts of the town at that point, we still weren't that far away, and it was in a rapidly expanding City due to plenty of industry and opportunity.

 

Tynecastle is about 2 miles away from the City Centre in a straight line.  The new Aberdeen Stadium is around 6 miles from the City Centre in a straight line.  Absolutely no chance will Aberdeen expand that far out, not even in 100 years time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

These are good points.  I just wonder how well they've thought all this through. They definitely need to leave Pittodrie but somewhere easier to get to would have been much better. Travel around Reading is grim and slow, but the fans seem happy to tolerate it as the overall matchday experience is good. It also doesn't have the bus availability issues Aberdeen has because it's in the middle ofa densely packed area.  I do wish them well with the move, because if it goes badly, the OF will just draw even more fans from the area.

They tried Loriston which would of been far better but lost out on that and with the bypass that was no longer possible. Sites around Portlethen were discussed (i believe - dont quote me) and then they plumped for Kingsford. There isnt many suitable areas which can hold both the ground and training ground (derek mcinnes - allegedly is the one who says they have to be together). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WeeChuck'sHeed
2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

 

I know all of that. My point is that a more attractive stadium may lead to increased attendances even if the total capacity is smaller.  Pittodrie is a bit of a rickety old mess with only 1 stand up to modern standards. Even if they can, I do agree with you that paying back £35m is a tall order. Our main stand has a much shorter and more achievable payback time.  They're obviously funding a whole new stadium.

 

 

fair doos.

 

There is allot of focus on the transport, so unsure if it will help the overall attendance, but imo overtime that won't be an issue, for me , if I were a sheepy I'd like to know the plan to pay back £35m.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellczech

How many pages will this thread be at the time they play their first game in said new stadium? 135 is my guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

How many pages will this thread be at the time they play their first game in said new stadium? 135 is my guess

 

200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×