Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

I went to Brighton vs. Burnley yesterday and was thinking about this. For those who don’t know, as I didn’t, Brighton actually play in a village called Falmer which is a nine-minute train from Brighton station.

Getting there was fine, but the return journey was pretty disgraceful. After the match, we couldn’t board a train for 55 minutes from the final whistle, for a nine-minute journey.

Brighton have an excellent initiative that you can get a free train travel from quite a wide radius included in your match day ticket, but it seems like there was no planning that 10,000+ fans would be taking this option up and getting special trains arranged - they were running just as normal. Aberdeen would have to be very careful not to recreate those issues with heir out-of-town stadium.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So there's going to be a shopping centre at Westfield as well.

Good idea. Cool

Could be be a bit of a shock for shoppers having their Starbucks and Costas when Rangers come to town....

also so I assume the car parking will serve both -in which case I doubt there will be enough and if not there will be chaos

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yes, in big cities some of the people live far away from the stadium, but the edge of a city is still very different from a field between kingswells and Westhill.

Except it's not next to a field, it's between two towns. There is probably more bars and restaurants next to the ground than at the stadiums I mentioned.

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

But that's me out, I don't want to get further embroiled, it's becoming very boring. 

You've posted on this thread more than I have. Think you've bored yourself.

3 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

I said it was 15 mins walk from a city centre pub to Pittodrie, Google Maps says from a city centre pub (Blackfriars?) to Pittodrie is 20 mins.

That's not what you said, you said within 15 minutes of a game you would be back on a train.

But even so, there are pubs within a 15 minute walk of Kingsford. 

3 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

The second question was will there be enough parking for everyone at the new stadium? If not how will away fans arriving by car get from the bypass to the stadium is it looks like there’s countryside all around the site?

Your options would be to park in Westhill (15-20 minute walk), park in Kingswells (25-30 minute walk), park at Kingswells park and ride (25 minute walk or get the shuttle bus to stadium), park in arnhall (15 minute walk), or park at Dyce, Bridge of Don or Altens park and rides. Likely to be shuttles from various places in the city centre, Dyce-Aberdeen-Stonehaven train stations, and Portlethen p&r (if you were coming up A90).

Plus 1300 spaces at stadium.

Listen I'm in agreement the club need to work on the shuttle bus plan, but I just don't accept that people who go regularly (and the average is over 14,000 this season) will suddenly stop rather than just going by car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2017 at 15:31, socrates82 said:

Based on our stand costs, that's buttery in the sky. The thing with an out of town custom-built stadium that it only has a chance of working and increasing crowds if it's genuinely impressive and innovative and that takes money. A flat pack stadium would be a disaster for them. 

They're only expecting to get 18m max it seems for Pittodrie's land. Plus the way Westminster are managing things the whole UK economy could easily crash and bring prices down. That leaves a huge amount to borrow or beg for, plus whatever disruption affects the team.

And all for a stadium in a field, with freezing, wind-swept training pitches. "Come to Aberdeen to play and freeze your nuts off at training for 3 months of the year." Unless it'll be covered training like Hibs shed which did absolutely nothing to improve the team or bring through better youth players. I'm not fussed what they do but have strong feelings about out of town stadiums when they're not really needed. Bad for football, the environment, town centres...

If this is above the snow line or whatever, surely the training pitches will be covered!

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Will it have an roof garden like their current one?

Nice that is. A bit like a real-life Jumanji.

Yesterday was my first visit to Pittodrie in a few years and instantly I realised why I don't go up there anymore. Can't see about 25% of the pitch. Disgrace for a Premiership club.

I reckon if their new ground gets the nod their crowds will go down by 2-3K but at least away fans should be able to see a full game for 26 sheets.

Edited by Shaggy2

Will probably have been answered but I cannot be bothered reading 17pages of ISTL dribble.

Why is knocking down Pittodrie and re-building not an option? Even just one stand at a time, could probably do two at a time and still be able to house their support tbh.  

Anyway, glad it’s not us.  Tynie is :glorious: 

1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

Will probably have been answered but I cannot be bothered reading 17pages of ISTL dribble.

Why is knocking down Pittodrie and re-building not an option? Even just one stand at a time, could probably do two at a time and still be able to house their support tbh.  

Anyway, glad it’s not us.  Tynie is :glorious: 

Sure it was something to do with its so expensive its impossible to do. I said the same thing and im sure that was the response. Sure ISTL will be along to correct me shortly though...

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Sure it was something to do with its so expensive its impossible to do. I said the same thing and im sure that was the response. Sure ISTL will be along to correct me shortly though...

Cheers, too expensive on account of no land sale I presume?

:gok: what a dilemma.

Tynecastle not fit for the purpose 

:seething:

Sale of Tynecastle cancelled

:jjyay:

We build a new main stand 

:verysmug:

We now have one of the best stadiums in Scotland 

:glorious:

meanwhile up in sheep land

:gok: 

32 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Cheers, too expensive on account of no land sale I presume?

:gok: what a dilemma.

Bit dubious about codheids realising that much in any land deal given the current economic situation in Ahole

Johnny Two Pies

Aberdeen must do what they think best for them, but I'm not a fan of out of town stadiums. Can't think of an example of where it has really worked in Scotland, while comparisons with major clubs in Europe (who have a far better product to attract fans, and better transport infrastructure) are fatuous. In any case even when going to games abroad, getting back into town after the match is almost always pain in the arse. Happy to do it on a one off basis, to experience something new and different, couldn't be bothered with it every second week or so. The quality of football on offer in Scotland just isn't high enough to make it worth it, not without the addition of the match day experience (meeting up with friends, pints before/after the game) and it helps having the club based in the heart (no pun intended) of the community rather than in a soul less retail park in a nearby dormitory town. Aberdeen need to do something with an outdated, ramshackle ground, but the solution they are looking at appeals to accountants a lot more than it does football people.

Edited by Johnny Two Pies

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

Bit dubious about codheids realising that much in any land deal given the current economic situation in Ahole

It’s not going to happen. Not a chance. Something Aberdeen fans should probably be thankful about in all honest.

2 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Couldn’t they find land in the city? 

And if it don’t work, at least they said they’ve tried.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

It’s not going to happen. Not a chance. Something Aberdeen fans should probably be thankful about in all honest.

Only thing would be if wee Stewart did some sort of deal with his company, looking to develop some time in the future, but it would mean his company carrying signicant debt and would be open to allegations of corruption 

4 hours ago, Johnny Two Pies said:

Aberdeen must do what they think best for them, but I'm not a fan of out of town stadiums. Can't think of an example of where it has really worked in Scotland, while comparisons with major clubs in Europe (who have a far better product to attract fans, and better transport infrastructure) are fatuous. In any case even when going to games abroad, getting back into town after the match is almost always pain in the arse. Happy to do it on a one off basis, to experience something new and different, couldn't be bothered with it every second week or so. The quality of football on offer in Scotland just isn't high enough to make it worth it, not without the addition of the match day experience (meeting up with friends, pints before/after the game) and it helps having the club based in the heart (no pun intended) of the community rather than in a soul less retail park in a nearby dormitory town. Aberdeen need to do something with an outdated, ramshackle ground, but the solution they are looking at appeals to accountants a lot more than it does football people.

I saw comments online from St Johnstone fans this week suggesting problems / delays getting out of the car park are a reason for lower crowds. (Police have stopped one of exits being used)

Edited by Mikey1874

Captain Sausage

I lost 5% on my house bought in 2015. Thankfully my company buy it at the report price, otherwise I’d be looking at a 10% loss in two years. 

The market up up here is so stagnant it is unreal. Every developer is throwing up houses like they’re going out of fashion too. No chance anyone will pay anything like 18m for that land. 

Assume that figure is picked up from what Barrett? paid for the Ocean new builds which is a similar footprint, but that would’ve been bought at the peak of the market so totally unrelatable. 

Lucille's Thirsty
2 hours ago, Ryder said:

And if it don’t work, at least they said they’ve tried.

The proposal of all of this is a fantastic idea but I don’t know why you would want it out of your city. Imagine if some time in the future, we decide to build our own training ground I would love if we bought the land behind the Roseburn, demolishing the school and having one base in Gorgie would be amazing. Heart of our community maybe a tad surreal. The idea having all of our teams, staff in one area would be gravy.

Lucille's Thirsty
1 minute ago, communist said:

Cant be bothered reading the whole thread but I really can't see why they can't redevelop the current site, there's no shortage of space. 

Redevelop Pittodrie? 

I don’t see the point at all mate, it would cost even more money and more time consuming to do that rather than build on a different site, no distractions, then be ready to move in when the new stadiums all complete.

kingantti1874
36 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

I lost 5% on my house bought in 2015. Thankfully my company buy it at the report price, otherwise I’d be looking at a 10% loss in two years. 

The market up up here is so stagnant it is unreal. Every developer is throwing up houses like they’re going out of fashion too. No chance anyone will pay anything like 18m for that land. 

Assume that figure is picked up from what Barrett? paid for the Ocean new builds which is a similar footprint, but that would’ve been bought at the peak of the market so totally unrelatable. 

Will be a fishing village in 20 years

The Natural Order

I've been told that Aberdeen have put in a bid to sign Greenginger from Hibs to get this project going. Apparently his vast experience of sorting out our main stand for us clinched it.

1 hour ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

The proposal of all of this is a fantastic idea but I don’t know why you would want it out of your city. Imagine if some time in the future, we decide to build our own training ground I would love if we bought the land behind the Roseburn, demolishing the school and having one base in Gorgie would be amazing. Heart of our community maybe a tad surreal. The idea having all of our teams, staff in one area would be gravy.

A redeveloped Pittodrie though? There's a thousand faces, all shining bright. Watching Aberdeen play in the City.

2 hours ago, houstonjambo said:

Yeah before oil took a hit people were buying houses to rent out to incomers. You could command rent just below London monies. I was up at Rubislaw then and some of the rentals for a two bed flat were around £2kpm , Merkland Road had flats renting around £1k-£1.5kpm insane money , for the most part thats more than halved now people are therefore left with massive mortgages and a deficit to the rental value. Thats true across a lot of properties up here. Most people can’t get back what they invested and can’t afford to take the percent of loss that they have to to get rid of the property. My ex has a city centre property and is looking to sell as she is rarely in Aberdeen now and put it up for sale in March 2017. The valuation was down £40000 on the one she got when she first moved abroad in 2015 and it is still on the market with another £40000 dropped of the price. 

The ecomony up here is brutal just now.

The only way £18m will be achieved is if Milne buys it himself and pays over the odds. There is still people with money up here but far fewer and there is so many building developments going up that the stagnation that the market has no likelihood to disappear anytime soon

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, Jambo Cartman said:

I've been told that Aberdeen have put in a bid to sign Greenginger from Hibs to get this project going. Apparently his vast experience of sorting out our main stand for us clinched it.

:laugh:

Surely Aberdeen not being able to redevelop Pittodrie is a total myth?  Was there yesterday for the first time in 6 years and I noticed that there is loads of space behind all their decrepit stands.  I did notice that there are some new flats behind the away stand however.  I assume Milne made money from this?

Stuart Milne is starting to remind me of the pieman actually.   He is obviously treating the Aberdeen supporters like mugs.  He trying to engineer a move away from Pittodrie just so he can benefit financially.

This sort of story just makes me so proud to be a jambo.  Our supporters did everything we could to remain at Tynecastle and managed to drive an absolute scumbag chairman out of our club.  While the dons fans just sit back and do nothing. :laugh:

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, sadj said:

Yeah before oil took a hit people were buying houses to rent out to incomers. You could command rent just below London monies. I was up at Rubislaw then and some of the rentals for a two bed flat were around £2kpm , Merkland Road had flats renting around £1k-£1.5kpm insane money , for the most part thats more than halved now people are therefore left with massive mortgages and a deficit to the rental value. Thats true across a lot of properties up here. Most people can’t get back what they invested and can’t afford to take the percent of loss that they have to to get rid of the property. My ex has a city centre property and is looking to sell as she is rarely in Aberdeen now and put it up for sale in March 2017. The valuation was down £40000 on the one she got when she first moved abroad in 2015 and it is still on the market with another £40000 dropped of the price. 

The ecomony up here is brutal just now.

The only way £18m will be achieved is if Milne buys it himself and pays over the odds. There is still people with money up here but far fewer and there is so many building developments going up that the stagnation that the market has no likelihood to disappear anytime soon

Aberdeen market just reported a very marginal YoY growth for property.

first yoy growth since 2015.

I have a flat near Merkland Road and it’s never rented for £1k - £1.5k.

Maximum I ever took in was £800 a month for a decent 2 bed next to the sports village.

31 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Maximum I ever took in was £800 a month for a decent 2 bed next to the sports village.

The developments at the bottom of merkland road east and round onto Merkland Lane (apologies if this needs clarified by the fact we were speaking about Pittodrie and therefore the area directly around it) had many flats which started at £1kpm. However the sports village last I checked wasnt on either Merkland Road East nor Merkland Road or Lane but on Linksfield Road which is far from a new development. If your talking Links View then again they were happily over 1k until 2/3years ago but they are not nearly the same footprint as Merkland Road East or Merkland Lane. Students invariably rent the Linksfield properties whereas the bottom of merkland road east and Merkland lane were predominently professionals. Until 2/3 years ago a 1bed in Aberdeen was on average 600-850 pcm.

Union Grove being a typical £600-£650 1bed area. More desired area’s for professionals were again the top end of that £850 average pcm.

Edited by sadj

3 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Stuart Milne is starting to remind me of the pieman actually.   He is obviously treating the Aberdeen supporters like mugs.  He trying to engineer a move away from Pittodrie just so he can benefit financiall

Is anyone up there seriously asking this?

Or is Milne too powerful?

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 00:05, Jessjambo said:

It looks,.......

....'quiet'. 

I know It's only a couple of hours old but have they resigned Johnny Hayes again ????

Just that,there's a kid In that photo with a Hayes shirt on..!

Edited by Torry Jambo

16 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Yesterday was my first visit to Pittodrie in a few years and instantly I realised why I don't go up there anymore. Can't see about 25% of the pitch. Disgrace for a Premiership club.

I reckon if their new ground gets the nod their crowds will go down by 2-3K but at least away fans should be able to see a full game for 26 sheets.

Exactly this. 

Was there for the first time in a while and couldn't believe 25% of the pitch was out of vision. Had to hold my son up to let him see anything! 

Dire stadium. Can see why there is a real desire to redevelop but being out of town will be a detrimental step for Aberdeen. 

4 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

:rofl:

Just now, Ryder said:

:rofl:

Happy new year Ryder , heres to much more hilarity and banter this year at ISTL and they’re “un”biased sheepy/aberdeen views ?

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Happy new year Ryder , heres to much more hilarity and banter this year at ISTL and they’re “un”biased sheepy/aberdeen views ?

Have a good one mate! ❤️

Would cost more I’m sure but they’d be better just re-developing pittodrie over a number of years . Won’t happen but the new plans look dreadful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

They want the complex. McInnes is the architect and he is determined to have the training facilities. Pittodrie therefore is not an option. 

The feeling is they have done what is asked of them this time and approval will be granted 

12 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Like most things you post on here that is utter crap and written more in hope than expectation. 

The only growth is in the amount of property sales in the area up 3.5% from a very very low base. The only reasonable indicator to use in determining the health of a housing market is house prices and they have fallen by a further 2.7% up to the third quarter of 2017.

The average price of a property in Aberdeen is only 0.8% higher than it was 5 years ago. You would have been as well keeping your money in a chest under your bed and it would have been probably safer.

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

They want the complex. McInnes is the architect and he is determined to have the training facilities. Pittodrie therefore is not an option. 

The feeling is they have done what is asked of them this time and approval will be granted 

It's ridiculous, they don't even have an indoor pitch ffs! In Aberdeen! Sorry, near Aberdeen! Not only that, they plan to spend 50 million to get there, with nothing but vague speeches about where that money's coming from.

I've been going fairly tonto on our main stand thread because the overspend scares me - about 4 million over the 11 originally planned. But it's manageable. 

Imagine an overspend of a third on this - that's another 17 million! 

It's a shit plan, flaws all over the place and ridiculous expense that no Scottish football club can afford. The truth is that Aberdeen could be in trouble if they don't do something but this obviously isn't the answer

Edited by Smithee

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

Like most things you post on here that is utter crap and written more in hope than expectation. 

The only growth is in the amount of property sales in the area up 3.5% from a very very low base. The only reasonable indicator to use in determining the health of a housing market is house prices and they have fallen by a further 2.7% up to the third quarter of 2017.

The average price of a property in Aberdeen is only 0.8% higher than it was 5 years ago. You would have been as well keeping your money in a chest under your bed and it would have been probably safer.

Our friend seems to think if he bats away enough points with any argument, no matter how flimsy, things will work out. But it's obviously a shit plan, and couldn't come at a worse time with the uncertainty of Brexit likely to do the pound no favours, to say the least