Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

1 minute ago, La_Leyenda said:

2021/22 ?

:rofl:

You must have skimmed over the fully paid off part.

Edited by Bez

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PeterintheRain
1 hour ago, La_Leyenda said:

It's Westhill, and it's 20 minutes from Union Street (I should know, I grew up in Westhill).

And that's Union Street, which is practically on the very eastern edge of the city, as is Pittodrie. So what you're saying is it's 20 minutes to go from one side of the city to the other.

Not everyone will be starting their journey in union street. For many, Westhill is actually closer, and with the bypass it'll be easier to get to than Pittodrie is.

You mean the Union St which is bang in the city centre, or are there two union Streets in Abersheep?   This is all about Wiggyless building flats and selling you lot out. Same as he's done his entire life.  Wonder how much was in the brown envelope/large suitcase full of money he gave to the local council this time?

Unknown user
1 hour ago, La_Leyenda said:

Has your main stand not been a bit of a mess though? It's certainly not all positive reading your Main Stand thread.

A mess? If you say so! But at least we have the FoH as a safety net, the overspend is something we can deal with.

Good luck avoiding an overspend, you already have 35 million to find!

8 hours ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Apart from our new main stand Tynie isn’t exactly something to shout about. Whilst ours is the best outside old firm, the Roseburn, Wheatfield and Gorgie are needing some love too.

Im sure Ann has this in her crosshairs. Anyway, wheatfield has a completely revamped & fitted out undercroft with plans for a supporters bar soon. Gorgie has the suite and the museam & the Roseburn is getting a TV studio and spruced up as well. Not to mention the memorial garden. 

New bogs, seats, signage, kiosks, painted, LED lighting etc and “Voila”. Minted stadium suited for a forward looking modern club. 

Did I mention the £15M state of the art main stand (well, it will be when its completed). 

Personally, I think IT IS something to shout about. 

12 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Aberdeenshire Council still need to give planning permission for amongst other things the pedestrian bridge to get to the ground. 

Described as an effective veto by the chief planning officer at the hearing. 

Unless its being done by brown envelopes it will need the help of the Scottish Government. 

But probably just finance in the way now. 

NKS have raised the legal fees required to challenge it in court apparently

11 hours ago, La_Leyenda said:

Everyone on a football forum is opinionated. - ?

NKS aren't actually battling the club, it's the council. - Im well aware who they are challenging but the jist is the legal battle delays it. 

Even so, best case scenario is they hold it up. Much like the AWPR - the objectors delayed it but ultimately it's now being built. - Overbudget , late and an utter shambles , 95% chance it will not stop it but there is always a small chance. The need for the training ground beside the ground will never be something you convince me is a “requirement” I was driving through Westhill on the way home tonight and it reminded me of the horrendous problems the place has in bad weather. I will assume theres no thought to try and improve this at the same time for the residents or visitors whilst encouraging 15000 or so into the area 20times a season or so. Or the amazing out of town events that it will hold several times a year to make it viable ?

8 hours ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Aye. And a nice clean just little things here or there that’ll give it a lift.

Did AB not address this for after other things have been done when JKB sat down with her?

Best of luck ..

Top of the money ..would have been a decent move..

Now i think you may struggle...personally enjoyed Aberdeen for a day out.

Aint up for visiting some out of town retail park though.

5 hours ago, La_Leyenda said:

It's Westhill, and it's 20 minutes from Union Street (I should know, I grew up in Westhill).

And that's Union Street, which is practically on the very eastern edge of the city, as is Pittodrie. So what you're saying is it's 20 minutes to go from one side of the city to the other.

Not everyone will be starting their journey in union street. For many, Westhill is actually closer, and with the bypass it'll be easier to get to than Pittodrie is.

Westhill 20minutes from Union Street??

Maybe at 4am with no traffic and all the lights at green and roundabouts clear....Its not even a 20minute drive on a school day so supporters buses will have fun getting from union street to the stadium. Iv been to Old Trafford many times on a bus from the airport and back , even that seems easier than Kingsford to Aberdeen train or bus station to get home. 

12 hours ago, La_Leyenda said:

Firstly, you and I both know the percentage of fans who go by train to Pittodrie is tiny. And it's irrelevant for midweek games anyway where no trains run after full-time, so if you're thinking about it from a Hearts point of view you won't get able to get a train back to Edinburgh for this Friday's game.

Secondly, as established above, the bus will take the same time (if not shorter) than it takes to walk to Pittodrie.

There is also talk of fans getting off at Stonehaven or Dyce stations, where the journey time will be shorter still.

But but but.............. what about the new train station you mentioned many many pages back which you thought you could just add in with relative ease?!?!?

Easier to get to from Stonehaven train station than Aberdeen sums the whole thing up to be honest.

Stonehaven FC. :lol:

Edited by Erik

Geoff the Mince

Not enough Pubs, shops , restaurants and 1000's driving on country roads . A bit like Hearts moving to Ratho . 

The Treasurer
13 hours ago, La_Leyenda said:

Firstly, you and I both know the percentage of fans who go by train to Pittodrie is tiny. And it's irrelevant for midweek games anyway where no trains run after full-time, so if you're thinking about it from a Hearts point of view you won't get able to get a train back to Edinburgh for this Friday's game.

Secondly, as established above, the bus will take the same time (if not shorter) than it takes to walk to Pittodrie.

There is also talk of fans getting off at Stonehaven or Dyce stations, where the journey time will be shorter still.

The question was a simple "how long would it take to walk to the new ground from the station" (which you've chosen to avoid given a definitive answer).

As a large percentage of away fans  travel to shitodrie by train, and as this is a Hearts forum, this would affect a good number of our travelling fans. Therefore it's a perfectly reasonable question.

You mention buses. I'd like to see that in action when you play your pretend "big rivals" sevco

And we're well aware that, due to you being such a backwater, there is no chance of getting a train back on Friday.

10 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The question was a simple "how long would it take to walk to the new ground from the station" (which you've chosen to avoid given a definitive answer).

As a large percentage of away fans  travel to shitodrie by train, and as this is a Hearts forum, this would affect a good number of our travelling fans. Therefore it's a perfectly reasonable question.

You mention buses. I'd like to see that in action when you play your pretend "big rivals" sevco

And we're well aware that, due to you being such a backwater, there is no chance of getting a train back on Friday.

This pic gives you an idea. Granted Tesco is on the outskirts of westhill but its at best half a mile or so past the sheepy stadium. You can’t walk from the station to the ground. Hence why the buses are being talked about but the logistics of that with traffic etc its probably a good 60-70mins each way. 

Stonehaven and Dyce would be interesting as the infrastructure to deal with even a thousand fans getting off trains loaded onto buses and shipped to the ground would be interesting. I know logistically Police Scotland view it as a potential nightmare. Was having this convo with one of their planners last night whilst discussing one of our events this year.

Wonder how it will affect the already crashed city centre enconomy aswell? I know one mate who owns a city centre pub is pissed off but another has/had a massive banner supporting Kingsford. (Sorry aurora) 

9800CA66-D832-49E3-A8E7-5B5A07ECFFF3.png

Famous 1874

Aberdeen will be back to mid table mediocrity in a couple of seasons so there really is no point in them having financial strain for years and years before they go into administration.

gorgie rd eh11
15 hours ago, La_Leyenda said:

You ever been on a busy bypass/car park?

1 hour ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Not enough Pubs, shops , restaurants and 1000's driving on country roads . A bit like Hearts moving to Ratho . 

I would never want to leave Tynecastle, but at least Ratho is on the way to Falkirk/Stirling, the Bridge, West Lothian and Glasgow and the West Coast.

Westhill is on the way to .....Alford?

And this fleet of buses that are going to be spirited up every couple of weeks for part of the year - where are they going to come from?

The Old Tolbooth

Aberdeen is probably the most backward city in the whole of the UK when it comes to roads infrastructure, I worked up there for a while and was based in Westhill, and traveled into the city centre to work a lot, and it's not just a 20 minute journey to the train station, try doubling that during the day, and when you've got 15k fans making their way there, then I can see it being even worse. Hopefully the bypass will make a difference, but heading over by Cults would be the better route for fans coming from the South. 

19 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

Aberdeen is probably the most backward city in the whole of the UK when it comes to roads infrastructure, I worked up there for a while and was based in Westhill, and traveled into the city centre to work a lot, and it's not just a 20 minute journey to the train station, try doubling that during the day, and when you've got 15k fans making their way there, then I can see it being even worse. Hopefully the bypass will make a difference, but heading over by Cults would be the better route for fans coming from the South. 

Having just driven from Tesco Westhill at 1204 i got to just behind Sizzles at 1243 on a tuesday of a nothing week and had 2 red lights to contend with. 

For those driving the bypass will no doubt help but how much who knows. Both away supporters and home supporters who require buses out there need to be kept seperate and can you imagine traffic from November to Christmas from the city centre to Kingsford. Its bad enough in a car at that time. 

I get Pittodrie is a dive but theres just so many holes that as a club Aberdeen have to tread very carefully to ensure not only the building doesnt destroy them but ensure their long term crowd base.

The Old Tolbooth
32 minutes ago, sadj said:

Having just driven from Tesco Westhill at 1204 i got to just behind Sizzles at 1243 on a tuesday of a nothing week and had 2 red lights to contend with. 

For those driving the bypass will no doubt help but how much who knows. Both away supporters and home supporters who require buses out there need to be kept seperate and can you imagine traffic from November to Christmas from the city centre to Kingsford. Its bad enough in a car at that time. 

I get Pittodrie is a dive but theres just so many holes that as a club Aberdeen have to tread very carefully to ensure not only the building doesnt destroy them but ensure their long term crowd base.

One minute out, not a bad guess :lol: 

22 hours ago, Tott said:

Best of luck ..

Top of the money ..would have been a decent move..

Now i think you may struggle...personally enjoyed Aberdeen for a day out.

Aint up for visiting some out of town retail park though.

Yeah 

Done 30 years of journeys latterly mostly by train.

Will be a good memory and be happy to save on the trip.

13 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

The answer is an hour and a half.

Time of walk from Aberdeen train station to the new ground.

That's 3 hours in total there and back. 

Though that's maybe quicker than getting out of the car park after the game. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The answer is an hour and a half.

Time of walk from Aberdeen train station to the new ground.

That's 3 hours in total there and back. 

Though that's maybe quicker than getting out of the car park after the game. 

90 minutes walk is a very conservative estimate Kingsford is prob half a mile or so from tesco so id say 2.5hours would be closer

Bazzas right boot

I'd be more concerned about The £50m +, transport will be ok.

lots of stadiums have managed the transport links ok, if not great.

where is the money coming from and what's the expected pay pack time?

Unknown user
13 hours ago, FWJ said:

I would never want to leave Tynecastle, but at least Ratho is on the way to Falkirk/Stirling, the Bridge, West Lothian and Glasgow and the West Coast.

Westhill is on the way to .....Alford?

And this fleet of buses that are going to be spirited up every couple of weeks for part of the year - where are they going to come from?

:laugh: I nearly forgot they have to spirit up and pay for a fleet of buses for every game.

On a more basic level, I don't know the area, but given how people talk about the weather, it does seem mental that they don't have plans for an indoor pitch in their state of the art training centre

Unknown user
15 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

From this snapshot of a random stretch of the A944 it looks like a moot point, unless you're thinking of walking down the middle of the road!Screenshot_20180426-005853.thumb.png.df3597a3c434a22f619ab13c68a144c0.png

28 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I'd be more concerned about The £50m +, transport will be ok.

lots of stadiums have managed the transport links ok, if not great.

where is the money coming from and what's the expected pay pack time?

Its phreee munni from donations or investors or something is it not. Thats what i got from the we only need 35million chat from the sheepy. Maybe i just gave up taking in their lunacy. 

The transport links yes but there is no real plan in place again youd assume that would be done prior. All we seem to get is most people wont go from the city centre so itll be easier for most

22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh: I nearly forgot they have to spirit up and pay for a fleet of buses for every game.

On a more basic level, I don't know the area, but given how people talk about the weather, it does seem mental that they don't have plans for an indoor pitch in their state of the art training centre

That area floods badly when its wet. Aberdeen stops at a flake of snow. The road infrastructure to the city centre is poor. To be honest Loriston would of been far better. Did one of the sheep not say its somethjng they will add later its not included in the plans for now. Does seem idiotic

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Its phreee munni from donations or investors or something is it not. Thats what i got from the we only need 35million chat from the sheepy. Maybe i just gave up taking in their lunacy. 

The transport links yes but there is no real plan in place again youd assume that would be done prior. All we seem to get is most people wont go from the city centre so itll be easier for most

Even £35m is a fair amount.....

I'd assume they can tell where folk live from their database of ST sales, I don't think it will be as bad as folk on here are making out.

Won't be fun on match day, but like anything, I.e a concert or even hampden as examples- if using the car or public transport you need to plan an extra 30 minutes. not the end of the world and pretty common.

The cash would be my concern, even £35m at £2m a season is the best part of 20 years.

how much is coming from the sale of their current ground?

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

2 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Even £35m is a fair amount.....

I'd assume they can tell where folk live from their database of ST sales, I don't think it will be as bad as folk on here are making out.

Won't be fun on match day, but like anything, I.e a concert or even hampden as examples- if using the car or public transport you need to plan an extra 30 minutes. not the end of the world and pretty common.

The cash would be my concern, even £35m at £2m a season is the best part of 20 years.

how much is coming from the sale of their current ground?

Sure sheepy said £15m which is why they only have to get £35m

I think peoples issue with the transport links is theres no clear plan and if anyone knows this area its a very protracted travel time even now let alone on a matchday. 

Supoorters buses is one thing as they will be able to come off the bypass but parking is a concern for those travelling in cars and then those coming from the city centre its as above. 

The snowstorms in Edinburgh this year were bad but you get the same level of disruption up here if there is basically a flake of snow ?

john brownlee

When HMFC moved to tynecastle it was in the outskirts of Edinburgh, so maybe the sheep a looking to the future.

was up in Aberdeen just recently and it was pretty visible that there lots of house building on the outskirts of the city.

so to me it makes sense to move to a bigger and better facility.

you never know it might stop all the weegie traveling sheep.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Sure sheepy said £15m which is why they only have to get £35m

I think peoples issue with the transport links is theres no clear plan and if anyone knows this area its a very protracted travel time even now let alone on a matchday. 

Supoorters buses is one thing as they will be able to come off the bypass but parking is a concern for those travelling in cars and then those coming from the city centre its as above. 

The snowstorms in Edinburgh this year were bad but you get the same level of disruption up here if there is basically a flake of snow ?

I'm not sure about the weather. sounds like it could be an issue, tho.

But the transport , I'd be a bit meh. hardly a reason not to build something.

Most things nowadays look to restrict car parking and encourage public transport, tynecastle isn't great for cars either but ofc we are good for buses and trains.

Seems like it would be overcome.

£35m is allot for a Scottish team to pay back by regular means.I'd be much more concerned worth that, particularly as unlike us they won't benefit from increased capacity.

Unknown user
7 hours ago, sadj said:

That area floods badly when its wet. Aberdeen stops at a flake of snow. The road infrastructure to the city centre is poor. To be honest Loriston would of been far better. Did one of the sheep not say its somethjng they will add later its not included in the plans for now. Does seem idiotic

Yeah one of them did say that, think he said he'd spoken with one of the main dudes. 

But it's not in the current plans, no permission has been sought or granted, and it hasn't been budgeted for.

I do remember one of them saying they'll just chuck up four walls though :laugh:

According to Google maps I live 11.1 miles from tynecastle and it's a 29 minute drive away in reality it is a 30 minute drive and 15 minute walk on match days. If I go by bus it is 40 minutes to roseburn or 45 minutes to Haymarket plus a 15 or 20 minute walk. While the Aberdeen city centre to stadium distances are less than this the times seem wildly optimistic.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling mistake

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I'm not sure about the weather. sounds like it could be an issue, tho.

But the transport , I'd be a bit meh. hardly a reason not to build something.

Most things nowadays look to restrict car parking and encourage public transport, tynecastle isn't great for cars either but ofc we are good for buses and trains.

Seems like it would be overcome.

£35m is allot for a Scottish team to pay back by regular means.I'd be much more concerned worth that, particularly as unlike us they won't benefit from increased capacity.

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

According to Google maps I live 11.1 miles from tynecastle and it's a 29 minute drive away in reality it is a 30 minute drive and 15 minute walk on match days. If I go by bus it is 40 minutes to roseburn or 45 minutes to Haymarket plus a 15 or 20 minute walk. While the Aberdeen city centre to stadium distances are less than this the times seem wildly optimistic.

Its essentially a generous 8miles to Kingsford from the city centre. But its a very slow moving road and definately not walkable there no path for some of it

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

You cannot possibly say that with any certainty.  It's certainly true that their fanbase is smaller than ours but often an attractive stadium can lead to a huge increase in match attendance from a fixed fanbase.  There are countless examples of that in England. Reading, whose old ground Elm Park was a shithole experienced a huge upswing in crowds 20 years ago when they moved to the Madejski. It's on the edge of town and the town itself is only 40 miles West of London with good transport links so many locals follow London clubs instead yet Reading still manage to get good crowds even though currently fighting relegation from the Championship.

They are downgrading the capacity by at least a couple of thousand. Aberdeen fans are very fairweather fans. Allowing for a 10% increase due to a new shiny stadium theyd still not be filling it based on my rough calculations of their attendances this year. Poor weather its less likely to garner attendance than Pittodrie Id suggest due to location and logistics. Despite what the sheepy say oh here

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's a degree or 3 colder in the winter at Kingsford.

Weather is not a issue. Getting Aberdeen fans out there if 2 or 3 teams are above them will be.  Personally I would like to see them finish 4th and lose momentum 

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

They are downgrading the capacity by at least a couple of thousand. Aberdeen fans are very fairweather fans. Allowing for a 10% increase due to a new shiny stadium theyd still not be filling it based on my rough calculations of their attendances this year. Poor weather its less likely to garner attendance than Pittodrie Id suggest due to location and logistics. Despite what the sheepy say oh here

They're certainly fairweather but not nearly as much so as Hibs! The Sheep do get some strangely low crowds at times, especially for midweek games and cup competitions while still pulling out an impressive away support, which, of course does not financially benefit them in the slightest.  If they can maintain a decent level of performance though, said fairweather fans will turn up and they'll be able to fill the new gaff fairly well, though only completely for the big games.

I'm all for new stadia. It'll be an asset to Scottish football.

I don't go to pittodrie and the less fans they have turn up at their stadium the more it makes them look like the no longer famous diddy outfit they are. 

So hopefully it gets the go ahead.

10 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

They're certainly fairweather but not nearly as much so as Hibs! The Sheep do get some strangely low crowds at times, especially for midweek games and cup competitions while still pulling out an impressive away support, which, of course does not financially benefit them in the slightest.  If they can maintain a decent level of performance though, said fairweather fans will turn up and they'll be able to fill the new gaff fairly well, though only completely for the big games.

I think theyve been around 17000/18000 for their big games this season. 

Good example. They also have an excellent matchday bus service with shuttle buses leaving from the train station and buses coming in from every area of Reading even as far out as Newbury to the Madejski.  After the match all buses would leave 15 mins after the final whistle. There would be multiple shuttles for the train station so not much of a wait around for them either. 

I would expect and hope something like this to be in place for an out of town stadium.

The post you quoted said no increased capacity which is true

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, Royal Jambo said:

Good example. They also have an excellent matchday bus service with shuttle buses leaving from the train station and buses coming in from every area of Reading even as far out as Newbury to the Madejski.  After the match all buses would leave 15 mins after the final whistle. There would be multiple shuttles for the train station so not much of a wait around for them either. 

I would expect and hope something like this to be in place for an out of town stadium.

I work with a Reading Season Ticket holder, originally from the town.  He and his son regularly make use of all these services.  He's in his 60s and grew up watching them in much smaller crowds at the delapidated Elm Park.  The advent of the Madejski and the transport infrastructure put in place around it has totally reinvented that club, which thrives despite being so close to London.  Newbury's football fans used to be split between Reading and Swindon but with the change in the clubs' respective fortunes in the last 15 years and that bus service, I imagine the balance has swung overwhelmingly in Reading's favour nowadays.

Aberdeen is 150 miles from Glasgow and if they have any brains at all, they'd look to emulate the Reading model.

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The post you quoted said no increased capacity which is true

I know they won't have an increased capacity but the new gaff is surely going to be a much nicer place to watch football than Pittodrie, which could attract extra fans a la Reading, Cardiff & Swansea, all of whom used to have shitty grounds.

2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I know they won't have an increased capacity but the new gaff is surely going to be a much nicer place to watch football than Pittodrie, which could attract extra fans a la Reading, Cardiff & Swansea, all of whom used to have shitty grounds.

Didn't work for any other club in Scotland but I actually hope it does work out as we need as many well supported clubs we can get

4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

It cant be worse than Pittodrie ? , inside and out the facilities are a disgrace for a team at the top of the league. 

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Didn't work for any other club in Scotland but I actually hope it does work out as we need as many well supported clubs we can get

With 2 notable exceptions I strongly agree with you.  The OF really are a blight on sport and wider society in so many ways and have ruined Scottish Football. Other countries have big dominant clubs too but not to the degree of total strangulation for decades on end as in Scotland.

Lucille's Thirsty
On 25/04/2018 at 00:49, sadj said:

Did AB not address this for after other things have been done when JKB sat down with her?

I think you are correct, she said that other things are more of a priority while the enhancing of the other three stands we’re going to get done down the line. Some of us myself included want Tynecastle to be the best.