The mystery of sell outs and swathes of empty seats

Craigieboy

Hearts should allow fans to Q up prior to KO and allow them to take seats that aint been used even maybe miss a  few mins of the match

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty obvious why there was even more empty PAID FOR seats last Saturday.

The weather on Saturday was dreadful and people just decided to keep dry for the day. In the pre ST days we would have been lucky to get 8000 on a day like Saturday.

The fact that so many did turn up was commendable.

Folk are over thinking this situation.

If people are unsure whether to go to the game up to the last minute then they are not going to release their seat.

Really thats all there is to it.

OK saturday was dreadful and Hearts fans stayed away in their hundreds ......Are you saying Hearts fans are a bunch of wimps.

Oh it's a bit wet and windy i think i'll stay in and roast that chicken. I DON'T THINK SO.

Hearts should allow fans to Q up prior to KO and allow them to take seats that aint been used even maybe miss a few mins of the match

So folk turning up to use their ST seats late have to sit elsewhere instead?

Indeed.

You're running late and get in to find someone on your seat.

Would certainly improve the atmosphere when fights break oot !

Francis Albert

I'm sorry this doesn't wash. Your telling us that fans are buying Season Tickets for big matches, so where were they when we played Celtic 

and why don't these fans who do this refuse to release their seats for resale. The loses for empty seats is not helping Hearts cash flow.

You suggest demand for the majority of empty seats would not be sold if all were released. You know by saying this your really stating

Hearts don't need a bigger stadium.

We need a new stand and it would be silly not to build it with some capacity for growth.

Francis Albert

Hearts should allow fans to Q up prior to KO and allow them to take seats that aint been used even maybe miss a  few mins of the match

So if my train or plane is delayed as an ST holder I miss the whole match to someone who turns up to buy a ticket just before the game?

This thread just gets sillier.

Francis Albert

If this works as suggested and empty seats are sold they won't have anywhere to sit!

Cringe.,...,...,I have been a walk-up since 70s primary school.....on occasions went, the opposite too Easter road, for the home game....Hearts get 97%, off the last year ,how can anyone complain. When the main stand is done, 16900 turns to 19,000.......Within 3 years will be debt free, able to buy 2/3 quality players a year

The whole loyalty points system is in need of an overhaul. I still have points from the season in the championship!

The whole loyalty points system is in need of an overhaul. I still have points from the season in the championship!

The points stay in your account for two years. I think they will be getting updated soon.

It's the same for everyone when your old points are culled so will everyone else's.

I think it's as good a system as we could get.

Actually it's incredible to think that only TWO years ago we were a CHAMPIONSHIP side. Look at us now.

The points stay in your account for two years. I think they will be getting updated soon.

It's the same for everyone when your old points are culled so will everyone else's.

I think it's as good a system as we could get.

Actually it's incredible to think that only TWO years ago we were a CHAMPIONSHIP side. Look at us now.

Correct. Probably find the Championship season will drop off at the end of this season.

People should check the facts before posting what they think should happen to the LP system.

For the umpteenth time....it's a good system. It's a rolling system, years will drop out as more go by. Leave it the hell alone. 

Correct. Probably find the Championship season will drop off at the end of this season.

People should check the facts before posting what they think should happen to the LP system.

For the umpteenth time....it's a good system. It's a rolling system, years will drop out as more go by. Leave it the hell alone.

Agreed.

And the folk saying they loyalty points won't cost the club a penny forget about the man hours dealing with calls/email/face to face complaints because the club has introduced an unfair way of dishing out points. :lol:

Would I feck be happy at missing out on a European away game despite making every home game. When someone who has a season ticket, who hasn't made it once but has 20 more points for handing a ticket each time, gets to go.

All they need to do, as has been mentioned several times by me and other posters, is make it aware that you can hand tickets back. Plus make it easy to do so. Only reward a fan needs is knowing you are helping out the club.

...a bit disco

'Points are on held on your account for the previous season (2015/16) and the current season (2016/17). All points accumulated before this time are removed during the offseason and will show on your account as a negative.'

Do we have hundreds of super rich fans who have Season Tickets and never turn up

I Don't Think So.

Don't think you need to be super rich to afford a Season ticket at hearts and never bother to go. Especially a ?50 kids one. :lol:

I've got a season ticket but don't use it very often. I also subscribe to the FoH (since inception). My seat is usually empty ...

I don't understand what the problem is .......

If Tynie was sold out weeks in advance of games then I could understand some of the bitterness on this thread but until then ........

...........  and before then lets build a new stand and increase capacity ...........

I've got a season ticket but don't use it very often. I also subscribe to the FoH (since inception). My seat is usually empty ...

I don't understand what the problem is .......

If Tynie was sold out weeks in advance of games then I could understand some of the bitterness on this thread but until then ........

........... and before then lets build a new stand and increase capacity ...........

Bitterness ? I haven't witnessed any of that on this thread. All fans want is answers to questions and by the way i'm still waiting on a reply to my Email to Mark Waterson.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Bitterness ? I haven't witnessed any of that on this thread. All fans want is answers to questions and by the way i'm still waiting on a reply to my Email to Mark Waterson.

I think it was sent for translation first.

Or Mr Watson?

Seymour M Hersh

J K Rowling is now writing a book on this mystery. Interweaving sports, social comment and Harry Potter. Cant' wait for the movie! 

Hackney Hearts

There's no bitterness (maybe one case of barely controlled anger... :veryangry: ). Mainly just people suggesting helpful ways for the club to make more money, for the ground to be fuller on match days and to allow people to attend who wouldn't otherwise be able to.

It doesn't matter whether it's sold out weeks in advance, or days, or hours - if seats are re-sold then that can only be a good thing, surely. Any reason why you would deliberately leave your seat empty? No idea what your FOH contribution is, but 2 re-sold seats per month (say ?40) might well be more than most people's.

Fxxx the SPFL

...........  and before then lets build a new stand and increase capacity ...........

I don't understand why you leave your seat empty when we could be bringing more money in to benefit the club.

There's no bitterness (maybe one case of barely controlled anger... :veryangry: ). Mainly just people suggesting helpful ways for the club to make more money, for the ground to be fuller on match days and to allow people to attend who wouldn't otherwise be able to.

It doesn't matter whether it's sold out weeks in advance, or days, or hours - if seats are re-sold then that can only be a good thing, surely. Any reason why you would deliberately leave your seat empty? No idea what your FOH contribution is, but 2 re-sold seats per month (say ?40) might well be more than most people's.

Well said i believe Jambo-Fox is being very naive with the hundreds of empty seats on match days when Hearts have the sold out signs up at the ticket office and that's not being disrespectful or bitter to the gadgy. All i would say to fans like Jambo-Fox is, all i want like many others is:

1. As many fans to watch Hearts.

2. To not turn fans away when there are hundreds of seats empty.

3. To maximise Hearts income from selling seats.

And there must be a 4 & 5 but i'm sure Jambos Kickbackers can come up with them.

Well said i believe Jambo-Fox is being very naive with the hundreds of empty seats on match days when Hearts have the sold out signs up at the ticket office and that's not being disrespectful or bitter to the gadgy. All i would say to fans like Jambo-Fox is, all i want like many others is:

And there must be a 4 & 5 but i'm sure Jambos Kickbackers can come up with them.

4. Send out a reminder e-mail, say, every couple of months, to Season Ticket holders with the contact attached if they know they won't be going, to give up their seat. Basically a 2 minute job !

So have you got a reply to your email, Mitch?

Nothing yet Craigieboy. I'd think it might take a while. Who knows how the system works. As soon as i get a reply i'll post it.

arsenal supporters are worried about this and are planning to bring it up at a meeting on monday

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/22/arsenal-urged-to-consider-banning-season-tickets-of-fans-who-fai/

You really don't want to p off people who put their money up front. It's there to use & guaranteed. Walkups aren't. I'm delighted to have walkups, but from a business point of view seasons are essential. even if they don't show.

We_are_the_Hearts

You really don't want to p off people who put their money up front. It's there to use & guaranteed. Walkups aren't. I'm delighted to have walkups, but from a business point of view seasons are essential. even if they don't show.

Yeah we could just sell all the tickets to businesses and they can use them for clients or prize draws. Guaranteed money, who cares about folk being there to back the team.

Jambo, Goodbye

I was watching the Liverpool West Brom game last weekend, not a single empty seat to be found, and that's after a large expansion.

Now I realise they have a high demand for tickets but this doesn't explain the hundreds of season ticket holders who probably couldn't make it.

Unless they have an excellent system in place for fans who won't make the game.

What's unexplained about our empty seats however, is the fact that many are clumped together in groups or rows.

That's not down to season ticket holders simply not going. Maybe they are all standing at the back row where it's dry?

If you want to go to Tynecastle, then buy a season ticket like everyone else. Hearts will benefit greatly from that. What you then do with your ticket is up to you.

One thing to bear in mind is that trying to shame season ticket holders or make it difficult for them when they can't make it, will simply result in us selling fewer season tickets and achieve the opposite of what you claim to be after.

There is no better advertisement than a queue or the thought of not getting something. This has actually helped us sell more tickets every week than we would normally.

If you want to see Hearts, get a season ticket like the other 14,000 of us who made the effort.

We will have a new stand next season and lots of extra empty seats to fill. Encouraging supporters to buy seasons, is the only way Hearts can have a guaranteed income. If we had a stadium full of walk ups, the fair weather supporters would stop going after a couple of defeats and our attendances would fall greatly.

Anyone who buys a season should be praised for helping the club, not shamed like you are attempting.

Fxxx the SPFL

If you want to go to Tynecastle, then buy a season ticket like everyone else. Hearts will benefit greatly from that. What you then do with your ticket is up to you.

One thing to bear in mind is that trying to shame season ticket holders or make it difficult for them when they can't make it, will simply result in us selling fewer season tickets and achieve the opposite of what you claim to be after.

There is no better advertisement than a queue or the thought of not getting something. This has actually helped us sell more tickets every week than we would normally.

If you want to see Hearts, get a season ticket like the other 14,000 of us who made the effort.

We will have a new stand next season and lots of extra empty seats to fill. Encouraging supporters to buy seasons, is the only way Hearts can have a guaranteed income. If we had a stadium full of walk ups, the fair weather supporters would stop going after a couple of defeats and our attendances would fall greatly.

Anyone who buys a season should be praised for helping the club, not shamed like you are attempting.

I agree in principal with what you are saying but i cannot understand the logic of buying a season ticket and helping the club as you say. Then if you cannot go or do not intend to use it then let the club know and the club can then resell it's a no brainer. I know that if i was in that position i would 100% give it to the club.

Yeah we could just sell all the tickets to businesses and they can use them for clients or prize draws. Guaranteed money, who cares about folk being there to back the team.

If these folk were that keen to back the team they wouldn't be leaving it till the last minute to get a ticket.

How many people are actually locked out ? Not many I would guess.

The Dundee match was exceptional because of the weather.

BTW I notice that Man City haven't managed to solve this problem either. Loads of empty seats last week. 

:spoton:

Yeah - or we could just guess how many are going to turn up when we offer contracts to players...

Correct.

If I know in advance that I won't make it I let the club sell it. If it's a last minute thing then I don't and my seat remains empty.

it has never been my intention to shame anyone. Quote me from any post where i've said anything of that nature.

Francis Albert

Yes, sell-outs breed sell-outs. And the big issue is not 50 or 100 late comers missing out but how we repeat sell-outs breeding sell-outs with the new stand, preferably with Hearts fans and current OF allocations. 

Hackney Hearts

not shamed like you are attempting.

Not seen him do this, TBF. 

Maybe a little heavy-handed towards to the club in terms of exploring the issue - but not towards the ST holders. I've seen them being encouraged to re-sell, not shamed.

scott herbertson

Yes, sell-outs breed sell-outs. And the big issue is not 50 or 100 late comers missing out but how we repeat sell-outs breeding sell-outs with the new stand, preferably with Hearts fans and current OF allocations. 

Absolutely right - where we should be focusing our efforts is in marketing to the 3000 extra potential season ticket purchasers so we don't have to release more of the Roseburn to the Old firm , and also so we don't get to the point where there is no need to buy a ST as you are guaranteed a walk up.

Absolutely right - where we should be focusing our efforts is in marketing to the 3000 extra potential season ticket purchasers so we don't have to release more of the Roseburn to the Old firm , and also so we don't get to the point where there is no need to buy a ST as you are guaranteed a walk up.

Bang on.

This is not going to be easy either, as it would mean passing all long term averages in season ticket sales.

I have a feeling the club may have to offer some serious incentives to fill all these seats constantly, however building a support can only be done gradually. For a start I would suggest extremely cheap child seats to encourage their parents to come along and bring on the next generation of Hearts supporters.

scott herbertson

w641_712041_fulhamheader.jpg

Hi Scott,

Fan number: 50962

Do you remember our last two home games against Fulham? Harlee Dean's equaliser, Jota in the last minute and our 3-0 victory last April. Such memorable matches to experience at Griffin Park. This season, we host our London rivals under the lights so why not join us on Friday 4 November and be part of a passionate West London Derby.    

w300_737124_fulhamticket2015.jpg
w300_737117_fulhamticket2.jpg

Tickets for the game are now limited so don't miss out, book your tickets today. 

w337_712033_fulhambutton.jpg

Come on you Bees, 

Brentford FC

I got this as an embedded e mail message as I once bought a ticket from Brentford - couple of years ago. To buy a home end ticket you have to register, including giving them e mail and mobile numbers. They regularly (prior to every home match I think) send me messages like this. I think this is the sort of messaging we need to do - perhaps with a button for people returning unused season tickets too.

MacDonald Jardine

w641_712041_fulhamheader.jpg

Hi Scott,

Fan number: 50962

Do you remember our last two home games against Fulham? Harlee Dean's equaliser, Jota in the last minute and our 3-0 victory last April. Such memorable matches to experience at Griffin Park. This season, we host our London rivals under the lights so why not join us on Friday 4 November and be part of a passionate West London Derby.    

w300_737124_fulhamticket2015.jpg
w300_737117_fulhamticket2.jpg

Tickets for the game are now limited so don't miss out, book your tickets today. 

w337_712033_fulhambutton.jpg

Come on you Bees, 

Brentford FC

I got this as an embedded e mail message as I once bought a ticket from Brentford - couple of years ago. To buy a home end ticket you have to register, including giving them e mail and mobile numbers. They regularly (prior to every home match I think) send me messages like this. I think this is the sort of messaging we need to do - perhaps with a button for people returning unused season tickets too.

Do we not do this already? If not it seems like a missed opportunity.

scott herbertson

Do we not do this already? If not it seems like a missed opportunity.

we might do for non season ticket holders but I certainly don't get this sort of message from Hearts before every home game.

My point really is with a little tweaking you could use a message like this to make it easier for season ticket holders to return their ticket - they already have your number on the message so if the database can be linked you could return your tickets with a click of a button

Good discussion! Loads of great points with all being well intentioned!

Being pragmatic, current demand for tickets effectively matches availability. When the 'swathes' of empty seats correlates directly with hundreds turning up and being 'locked out' on a match day I'm sure an official ticket return procedure will be considered and potentially implemented by the club.

Until then surely the current focus and energy should be directed to retaining ALL current season ticket holders and adding an additional 2 / 3,000 season ticket holders for 2017/18 ....

PS I'll be renewing mine!

PPS I'm not an armchair football fan, I've already attended 14 matches this season!

Anyway I'll be up for the match on Saturday - and using MY Season Ticket in the Gorgie Road Stand - one less seat in the 'swathe'!

PS subject to me getting back from Copenhagen!!

Empty seats scattered around Southampton's ground tonight despite a sell out. One row was around 5 seats I think. Cragieboy should go troll the Saints fan board with the same type of post and see what their reasons are

Archived