The mystery of sell outs and swathes of empty seats

Craigieboy

Surely not all of these rows of empty seats are ST's who've not turned up.

There's got to be an error on the system or something as it's the same story every sell out.

Loads in the main stand, Roseburn and from my angle, section A.

What's the story?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good chunk in the Wheatfield too.

Around 400 odd in total I think.

It's normal for any ground but bit more obvious in a 17k stadium than a 50k one.

mulleted_jambo

The bottom of section Z is only ever half full at most. Seems very strange. As you say surely that many have bought season tickets and not turned up.

Tickets weren't available prior to match, not sure what the story is re the gaps.

Would be interesting seeing attendance vs tickets sold

Tickets weren't available prior to match, not sure what the story is re the gaps.

Would be interesting seeing attendance vs tickets sold

With one section for away fans and 358 seats for segregation, our capacity is 16,971.

Today's attendance was 16,512.

459 no shows

Placid Casual

I think it is people choosing not to go.

Two of my mates have season tickets but hardly ever go. It is their way of contributing to the club whilst also getting the loyalty points.

No mystery at all 3% of the home crowd ST's dont make it im guessing thats about right in terms of people not making every game.

I think it is people choosing not to go.

Two of my mates have season tickets but hardly ever go. It is their way of contributing to the club whilst also getting the loyalty points.

That's my opinion too. Know a couple folk from overseas with season tickets instead of a direct debit to FOH. not sure if they give them up for resale.

Probably doesn't explain all of the empties, but certainly a portion.

The empty seats are obviously ST holders who don't turn up and don't release them.

As long as the clubs getting the revenue for them it's no big deal, if they don't notify the club to release their seats , that's up to them.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Me and my Dad couldn't make it today but we handed our ST's back for the club to resell.

Not sure if they count us as attending.

I think there were a good bit more than 500 no shows but I couldn't spot any in the main stand, apart from the limited view seats. Why would that be? There were loads in the enclosure as well

It's not rocket science, people buy season tickets, can't make the game, can't be arsed/want to re-sell their seats.

I know of a few who have season tickets and only make a few games a season.

Yes, but it's rows of seats. Not one or two, here or there.

Maybe a sheik from Saudi has a fetish for Hearts. And has season tickets but can't make it to the match!

Sorted .

To me the words sell out mean just that, sold. In attendance means just that how many bums actually in seats.  I know from my hockey team when saying a sell out it sounds better than 12,000 in attendance.

People who buy a season ticket and dont turn up to a certain percentage of games should be barred from having ticket for the following season. It has a negative impact on atmosphere.

Francis Albert

People who buy a season ticket and dont turn up to a certain percentage of games should be barred from having ticket for the following season. It has a negative impact on atmosphere.

WTF? This is a joke right?

How would another 400 today have had any significant effect on the precious "atmosphere".

The front of z is the one that puzzles me every sold out game it is always at least 1/4 empty

When people are being turned away I find it strange

I'm not sure the club have fully worked out the issues regarding that

There was a group in front of me of 6 empty seats. A family group probably.

It really would be worth the clubs while to have a system of releasing seats that benefits both st holders

and the club.

Probably groups that decide not to bother for that game. It's a shame to see 7-8 seats together empty

Anyone who thinks we are bad for non attending ST holders should look into MOD

tonight. Loads of empty spaces at some grounds yet still claiming capacity crowds. Man.City and Sunderland for starters. At least we only count actual attendance.

The front of z is the one that puzzles me every sold out game it is always at least 1/4 empty

When people are being turned away I find it strange

I'm not sure the club have fully worked out the issues regarding that

I think they might be among the cheapest. Could be that folk buy them but look for better seats on the day. Specially if it's raining.

A weather forecast of rain will always put off people with seats in the front rows of all stands.

I don't blame them, I was drenched sat in row 2 a couple of times when it rained.

Francis Albert

Its pretty obvious the club is not really  interested in this "problem". They don't make any real attempt to appeal to ST holders to release their seats let alone provide an incentive for them to do so.

I think it is because sell outs help sell tickets. If say another 500 seats were released and available in the week before a game then more people would leave it to last minute to buy tickets, and some would decide at the last minute not to go. Result fewer tickets sold and lower ticket revenue.

Of course this will be an issue when the new stand opens when presumably there will be a lot more unsold tickets in the week before the game..

Francis Albert

Anyone who thinks we are bad for non attending ST holders should look into MOD

tonight. Loads of empty spaces at some grounds yet still claiming capacity crowds. Man.City and Sunderland for starters. At least we only count actual attendance.

Arsenal too despite the club offering a significant financial incentive for fans to release ST seats.

Francis Albert

Said the same, it's odd. Not just a few either, hundreds of empty seats.

Or about 2.5% of all seats sold. Put it that way it doesn't sound so bad or so surprising.

Thought Gorgie fared quite well today compared to recently,lower wheatfield was surprisingly bare today though. Not fair to penalise people for not turning up and not releasing seats imo but its a shame as demand is obviously there,was in Willie Bauld today and released 2 seats in Wheatfield at 1-30 and they sold.

By The Light..

What about a releasing seats option for ?10 credit off you renewal next season subject to match reaching sell out and it being resold. Complicated or what but potential win win.

loveofthegame

Or about 2.5% of all seats sold. Put it that way it doesn't sound so bad or so surprising.

I'm not concerned about it, but home sell out with hundreds of seats spare is slightly odd, that's all

I missed the game today since work gave me the wrong Saturday off. So as a result, me and three of my nephews weren't there today.

mulleted_jambo

I'd say closer to 10% which is concerning to me.

Best not to make a big deal of it at the moment though as we'all need these guys when the new stand goes up.

The OP makes a good point, and some of the sarcasm in response is quite tiresome.

Every club in the EPL has this issue and, as I've said before, some handle it well (so no empty seats) and some handle it badly.

The clubs that handle it badly, e.g. Man City, do so because their owner is so rich they don't care.

HMFC is still to explain why we handle it so badly.

Today the lower sections of the Wheatfield were full of empty seats. We need an explanation from the club

I think there were a good bit more than 500 no shows but I couldn't spot any in the main stand, apart from the limited view seats. Why would that be? There were loads in the enclosure as well

I usually sit near the back, as a walkup, row S or T I think, but I did not know there were officially limited view seats.... I knew Newcastle and Celtic had them. It seemed very busy today, with some folk being moved out of the seats they had already took. Will miss the wooden steps up to the top, when the stand is gone....

jambos are go!

There are a few blocks of seats kept vacant for safety/security reasons . So that small scale incidents can be handled. Thats what I was told when I tried to move to an unavailable but always unused seat in the Roseburn.

I had 10 empty seats next to me in G today. I just wish the club would stop announcing "sell outs". Just announce the attendance as bums on seats, not tickets sold.

The brooms are away to the Butt n' Ben for the October break.

You'd think they'd give their tickets to Willie and fat Boab.......

Look at the sheep crowd today despite a couple of decent results recently.

School holidays affect crowds. It's a fact.

But if I was offered say ?10 off my ticket every time I resold a spare then I would make more of an effort. Ultimately I would donate any funds to FOH so maybe there's the answer?

Surely the reason is obvious.  Masses of Hearts fans opting to head to Kirkcaldy in the hope of seeing the great man stick it to the Hibs again.

Archived