Alan Maybury > Robbie Neilson

Solid Snake

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good considering Gary Kelly and Steven Carr were around at the same time.

Steve Finnan too iirc? Or did Maybury earn his caps before he came along? ROI, pioneers in right backs.

Steve Finnan too iirc? Or did Maybury earn his caps before he came along? ROI, pioneers in right backs.

Yep forgot about him. All Premier League players. I think Maybury won most of his Caps while he was with us.

Neilson was unspectacular going forward and other than the goal in Basel, he offered little goal or forward threat. That said, he was a solid defender who was rarely beaten on the ground or in the air.

Maybury was better going forward but suspect in defence.

We got far more out of Neilson, he was a great servant and as fit and mentally strong a player as you will watch.

Off topic but he is also a cracking manager.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Walter Kidd's just been on the phone, and he wants this thread closed.

He certainly was, and it was a very handy 'offensive weapon :stunned: ' that we regularly employed to some success.

As Paterson also has a long throw, it is a bit strange that Robbie never seems to use it as an attacking ploy

I think Robbies throw in kept him in the team!!

A pair of very average right backs in a long list of average right backs we've had over the years.

The only thing to add was Maybury would have been a much better right back than Neilson if he hadn't been shunted to left back by Levein to make way for Neilson. One of Leveins more stubborn acts as I recall at the time.

St Jakob Stadium Basle. Last minute winner. Don't recall Maybury as the scorer.

Scroll up to post #62 john......

A pair of very average right backs in a long list of average right backs we've had over the years.

The only thing to add was Maybury would have been a much better right back than Neilson if he hadn't been shunted to left back by Levein to make way for Neilson. One of Leveins more stubborn acts as I recall at the time.

:spoton:

Yep forgot about him. All Premier League players. I think Maybury won most of his Caps while he was with us.

True, but Robbie won ALL of his (one) caps while with us. 

Both decent players and good servants, neither as good as Steve Frail (pre-injury)

oof ..robbie wins hands down , 5-1 maybury ya muppet.

Eh????  Maybury didn't play for Hibs in the 2012 final.

AM wasn't moved to accommodate RN, he played left back because he was the best we had available for that position, it so happened CL thought playing RN was better than options we had at left back.

Did RN ever manage to keep a pass up the wing in play!

That RN had a good career says a lot for his hardwork and commitment as he made the best of his limited ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AM wasn't moved to accommodate RN, he played left back because he was the best we had available for that position, it so happened CL thought playing RN was better than options we had at left back.

Did RN ever manage to keep a pass up the wing in play!

That RN had a good career says a lot for his hardwork and commitment as he made the best of his limited ability.

One man is responsible for Robbie having a good career - Craig Levein.  He signed him for Leicester after he left Hearts, then DU, and appointed him First Team Coach back at Hearts.

rudi must stay

Bit confused - Maybury scored against Partick.

I know. I meant I thought they were equal going forward, thought people may rate Maybury higher at that side of the game. I would actually say Neilson was better at that too, better crosses into the box

I know. I meant I thought they were equal going forward, thought people may rate Maybury higher at that side of the game. I would actually say Neilson was better at that too, better crosses into the box

:cornette:

You must never have had the pleasure of watching RN week in week out, he barely kept a ball in play with his crosses. (Or passes)

Dr Ian Malcolm

Maybury was probably slightly better. Both solid but unspectacular. Paterson and McGowan are better than both.

McGowan's popularity seems to give his level of ability an automatic boost. He did a good job in a couple of positions for Hearts (we'll ignore McGlynn suddenly deciding he could be an attacking midfielder), but let's not pretend he was any technically better than Neilson?

You're probably right about Paterson - he'll definitely far surpass both in his career.

Maybury at Hearts was a good player but by thee time he got to h1b5 his legs were well gone, Robbie done a job but got caught out quite a lot, I don't think there's much between them but given the h1b5 stink on Maybury I would go with Robbie plus his long throws were actual long throws not like our current long throw expert that shapes up and gestures like he is going to hit the back post but barely reaches the box.(I'm sure you all know who)

Victor Meldrew

Robbie all day long. He should win the debate just for that tackle alone in 06.

This. Oh, and the goal in Basel. And he didn't play for Hibs.

We_are_the_Hearts

This. Oh, and the goal in Basel. And he didn't play for Hibs.

I assume we all think Ian Black was better than Hartley then. He never played for Hibs and was MOTM in a Cup final.

Maybury was defo the better player. Funnily enough we have had a lot of great LBs since I have been following the JTs but never an outstanding RB.

Walter kidd

Maybury was quicker but I thought Neilson was better over all.

Could have been a confidence issue but for a good part of the first season Maybury signed he couldn't keep the bloody ball in play lol, ran with it over the line a good few times.

Wasnt overly convinced with Neilson at first bit he returned from a loan spell at QoS a new player.

Winston Ingram

Neilson was the more dependable player.

Maybury's fancy for running the ball out of play week after week was bizarre for a professional. 

Maybury was the better player overall. I dot think you can say Robbie was the better player based one one moment in one game - even if it was a major game.

Robbie was clearly the more successful player though, and has done very well based on limited ability. He has earned his success too.

When they were both at Hearts, Maybury was better. His adaptability meant he was put to left back and Robbie filled in for him at right back.

queensferryjambo

One man is responsible for Robbie having a good career - Craig Levein.  He signed him for Leicester after he left Hearts, then DU, and appointed him First Team Coach back at Hearts.

Really? Am I missing something? Is this one of those kickback in jokes like when somebody says DeVries scored a hattrick on his debut and wait on people jumping in and saying it wasn't his debut?

Anyway sorry if this is stating the obvious or if it is being debated elsewhere but what you just said is factually incorrect.

Levein was Leicester manager from 2004 to 2006 Robbie signed for Leicester in 2009.

Levein was Dundee Utd manager 2006 to 2009 Robbie signed for them in 2011.

Robbie was also on the books at Hearts already when Budge took over he was the youth team coach.

Levein absolutely ruined Maybury when he put him in at Left Back to accommodate Neilson.  

Pretty certain it was down to Mahe being injured rather than accommodating RN.

Imagine if he'd moved Neilson to left back  :uhoh2:  He could barely keep the ball in the park with his right foot when playing it up the line. I think that says a lot about the relative ability of the players in question. Maybury was a better footballer than Neilson though both were good solid professionals at our level. 

Robbie gave 100%, that could never be doubted.

He played well above his level imo.

Marbury was a better right back but that's not saying much.

If I got to choose between the two at age 25 for the same money I'd go for Maybury. Robbie is a great example of a relatively limited player who carved out an excellent career for himself. It's one reason why I think he's a very good manager.

Did Levein not play them both on the same side in a very creative formation for us in Europe and get a surprise victory? Maybe Bordeaux?

Discuss.

There is only one correct answer and that is Maybury. He was a far superior full back than Neilson could ever dream of.

Sure Neilson won more but that doesn't make him a better player.

What's the point of the thread if there's only 1 answer.

And by the way, your answer is wrong.

If I got to choose between the two at age 25 for the same money I'd go for Maybury. Robbie is a great example of a relatively limited player who carved out an excellent career for himself. It's one reason why I think he's a very good manager.

Spot on. This is exactly why Robbie has no problem in recruiting players with baggage' limitations or consistency issues as he can relate to them and knows their psyche. It's no coincidence that the great managers were generally limited footballers.

Did Levein not play them both on the same side in a very creative formation for us in Europe and get a surprise victory? Maybe Bordeaux?

Not sure about that but I'm sure they were the two wing backs against Bordeaux. With Pressley, Webster and McKenna in the middle. Did Neilson not win motm in Bordeaux?

In a sea of moronic irrelevant threads this is the worst yet. Can we have a separate area where the robbie and craig haters can get together without clogging the place up?

Robbie... 2006 Cup Final, Basel and his years of service.

Appreciate the other side and what people think of Maybury

But also Robbie kept his place in that side. Despite all the money and options to sign someone else.

Not sure about that but I'm sure they were the two wing backs against Bordeaux. With Pressley, Webster and McKenna in the middle. Did Neilson not win motm in Bordeaux?

Think it was how you described maybe. It worked and got the job done. :thumbsup:

Archived