Alan Maybury > Robbie Neilson

Solid Snake

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And IF he had better ball control, and IF he could pass and cross the ball.......

Like I said Maybury was a better offensive player, Robbie was a better defender

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Discuss.

There is only one correct answer and that is Maybury. He was a far superior full back than Neilson could ever dream of.

Sure Neilson won more but that doesn't make him a better player.

You need to try harder .

Honestly short memories. Neilson had Pressley to cover for him and was frustrating to put it mildly. Maybury was decent if unspectacular but a better full back than Neilson I reckon Neilson would concur. Maybury also played left back imagine Neilson at left back...we're talking Oshaniwa levels of wtf!

I always thought that Robert Tomaschek was slightly better than Lee Makel, controversial I know.

What a strange topic for discussion.

The real question should be Arkadius Klimek or Ricardas Beniusis?

Neilson was a far,far better player than many Hearts fans gave him credit for.

Maybury was, in my opinion, very average.

Neilson for me.

What a strange topic for discussion.

The real question should be Arkadius Klimek or Ricardas Beniusis?

One of life's great conundrums.

jambos are go!

Except for his crossing Robbie was an outstanding fullback. Great defender with enormous stamina and running power. A former player told me that in the days of Gullane sand dunes like pre seasons he was always the last man standing.

A strong character and dont forget beside that tackle he stepped up and scored a penalty in the 2006 shoot out. The only penalty I ever recall him taking.

Except for his crossing Robbie was an outstanding fullback. Great defender with enormous stamina and running power. A former player told me that in the days of Gullane sand dunes like pre seasons he was always the last man standing.

A strong character and dont forget beside that tackle he stepped up and scored a penalty in the 2006 shoot out. The only penalty I ever recall him taking.

He was fit and dedicated of that there is no doubt. But an outstanding full back he was not. Decent and did his defensive job but outstanding no chance.

I remember Maybury scoring an absolute peach of a volley against Partick Thistle

This goal has always stuck with me.  Last minute winner and what a screamer.

]

Still Robbie for me though.

Neilson for me.

I give him credit for being a 100% trier and a loyal Club man. 

I give him credit for that 'tackle'.

He was a very limited footballer playing alongside excellent defenders.  He had no pace, no ball control, could not pass or cross - as such Robbie was at best "average"

Neilson for me.

Both were very competent full backs, Maybury was not helped by being forced to play left back too often, but that was testemant to his ability that he was able to.

For me, the fact we were never able to really find a replacement for Neilson, even when we were spending cash, shows he was a lot better than some may think. He was a defender - that was his primary job - and he was very good at it.

Yes Robbie could run all day - at one pace!

I agree he did well on both counts in the Gretna final.

I think my favourite Alan Maybury moment was when he was sent off in the "relegation" derby.

Better than his last minute winner against Thistle?  Really??

We_are_the_Hearts

Both were very competent full backs, Maybury was not helped by being forced to play left back too often, but that was testemant to his ability that he was able to.

For me, the fact we were never able to really find a replacement for Neilson, even when we were spending cash, shows he was a lot better than some may think. He was a defender - that was his primary job - and he was very good at it.

Always wondered what happened to Sebastian Schemmel after that friendly with Boro?

Dr Ian Malcolm

Neilson first and foremost was extremely solid and defended very well - a fullback's primary function. Yes he was limited going forward, but given from 2005 onwards Hearts tended to play with at least one winger, not such an issue. The a,punt of right back's that were signed then couldn't get him out the team speaks volumes.

Maybury was probably a better footballer, but less consistent and not quite as good a defender. Still thought he was a good player for Hearts though. Not much between them, and tbf Neilson came in as a youngster when Maybury was an established first team player.

Both were miles better than duds like Barasa etc.

Neither were in the same league as Walter Kidd.

In my time though we have had some quality left backs - Fyssas and Naysmith, for a start - but right back has not been so easy. If we could have combined the defensive ability of Robbie with the athleticism of McGowan and the aggression of Barasa then we would be talking about one hell of a defender!

What is the point of this post [emoji85][emoji23]

So Thomaso can finally let us all know about his hidden love for Maybury ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudi must stay

Discuss.

There is only one correct answer and that is Maybury. He was a far superior full back than Neilson could ever dream of.

Neilson was better. More dependable in defence, and Partick aside equally poor going forward

Robbie Neilson - Muckle Throw ins, Scored the winner in Basel, greatest tackle ever made, Scottish Cup winner, 282 games for the Famous.

Alan Maybury - Hibs

Robbie Neilson - Muckle Throw ins, Scored the winner in Basel, greatest tackle ever made, Scottish Cup winner, 282 games for the Famous.

Alan Maybury - Hibs

I know you're trying to be funny but to reduce Mayburys contribution to that isn't really that funny after all.

So there. :2thumbsup:

We_are_the_Hearts

In my time though we have had some quality left backs - Fyssas and Naysmith, for a start - but right back has not been so easy. If we could have combined the defensive ability of Robbie with the athleticism of McGowan and the aggression of Barasa then we would be talking about one hell of a defender

Tosh and Mahe were also very good. Always felt Pointon was under rated as well.

Tosh and Mahe were also very good. Always felt Pointon was under rated as well.

Yes, we have been blessed with good left backs, even going back to Whittaker.

I know you're trying to be funny but to reduce Mayburys contribution to that isn't really that funny after all.

So there. :2thumbsup:

Haha

Maybury was a very good player for us to be honest. Although one of my main memories of him were getting sent off every other week, quite a dirty *******. Mind him having a horror show against Neil McCann during his heyday.

I'm sure he scored a good volley against Hibs too or was it Celtic?

Seymour M Hersh

Discuss.

You ask us to discuss then immediately rule out any debate/discussion by insisting there is only one answer. 

In my time though we have had some quality left backs - Fyssas and Naysmith, for a start - but right back has not been so easy. If we could have combined the defensive ability of Robbie with the athleticism of McGowan and the aggression of Barasa then we would be talking about one hell of a defender!

Wattie was also a very limited footballer - no nonsense guy, and he was part of the 1986 team that all played for the jersey and each other.

Through time the "Zico" nickname has earned Wattie some cult status with Hearts fans.

Neilson was better. More dependable in defence, and Partick aside equally poor going forward

Bit confused - Maybury scored against Partick.

Haha

Maybury was a very good player for us to be honest. Although one of my main memories of him were getting sent off every other week, quite a dirty *******. Mind him having a horror show against Neil McCann during his heyday.

I'm sure he scored a good volley against Hibs too or was it Celtic?

Many did!

Maybury was probably slightly better. Both solid but unspectacular. Paterson and McGowan are better than both.

It's perfectly obvious.

When Vlad came in with his cheque-book, we could have replaced any of the existing squad in positions where we were weak.

Those who kept their place: Gordon, Neilson, Webster (until they fell out), Pressley (ditto), Hartley

Neilson's place was never in doubt. He played his part in a formidable defence. 

Yeah. Really!!

How strange.

Give me a tremendous Hearts last minute winner over an ex player getting sent off every time.

It's perfectly obvious.

When Vlad came in with his cheque-book, we could have replaced any of the existing squad in positions where we were weak.

Those who kept their place: Gordon, Neilson, Webster (until they fell out), Pressley (ditto), Hartley

Neilson's place was never in doubt. He played his part in a formidable defence. 

If Maybury had still been at Hearts, and was allowed to continue playing at Right Back, I don't think his place would have been in doubt either.

Bang average full backs at best to be honest, but one played for hibs and the other manages the famous so RN every day of the week for me.

Robbie was well loved as a player by many - not so much as a quality footballer, but more as a loyal family pet Labrador kinda thing......

:527: 

If Maybury had still been at Hearts, and was allowed to continue playing at Right Back, I don't think his place would have been in doubt either.

fair comment, but I do think that Robbie was under-rated

Bazzas right boot

I thought this thread was about who was the better footballer - as such your comment that he was at the Club longer than Maybury, and he was a Championship winning Manager is a bit irrelevant in that context.

As for your other suggested comparisons I will obviously go for Stewart and Keatings..... :2thumbsup:

I liked maybury, but Nielson was probably better for us.

Overall. As a player maybury had the better career, so overall probably a better player.

But for Hearts, Nielson, imo was better.

Bang average full backs at best to be honest, but one played for hibs and the other manages the famous so RN every day of the week for me.

Maybury got 10 full international caps for the Rep of Ireland - not bad for a "bang average" player.

I liked maybury, but Nielson was probably better for us.

Overall. As a player maybury had the better career, so overall probably a better player.

But for Hearts, Nielson, imo was better.

Think we are agreeing that Maybury was the better football player - which I thought was the point of this thread.

I do agree that overall Robbie has been the better Club servant.

I seem to recall Robbie being a long throw in expert.

He certainly was, and it was a very handy 'offensive weapon :stunned: ' that we regularly employed to some success.

As Paterson also has a long throw, it is a bit strange that Robbie never seems to use it as an attacking ploy

Maybury got 10 full international caps for the Rep of Ireland - not bad for a "bang average" player.

Pretty good considering Gary Kelly and Steven Carr were around at the same time.

Archived