Time to start with Johnsen

kimosavi

I'm not surprised Sammon isn't scoring.

9 years of his career tells us this.

A bit surprised Watt hasn't scored more - don't give me the 'going deep' chat because Hartley and Rudi played deeper and scored for fun.

I'm sure the management thought Watt would score more.

Playing better, more attacking. Fine

But I wish we'd signed Zeefuik. I always wanted another striker - especially after Juanma left

Folk are right we don't have a finisher.

I thought Bjorn did nothing when introduced. It seemed a poor substitution replacing like for like when things were not working at that point of the game.

From what I have seen of Bjorn he can't play the target man role that Robbie wants and is poor in the air for his height. Did I not read that the guy's position is actually midfield or behind the strikers?

Its frightening our historic inability to sign goalscorers...proper goalscorers...im not slating Johnson btw just a general point...

We dont go down south for this for some reason...

Shytey clubs with a fraction of our budget seem to unearth good goalscorers whilst we dont up here...

I have just seen Caulibaly's (typo) strike for Killie and its fecking breathtaking...his goals already for them have been top-notch this season...

Its frustrating and annoying to put it mildly....

I'm not surprised Sammon isn't scoring.

9 years of his career tells us this.

A bit surprised Watt hasn't scored more - don't give me the 'going deep' chat because Hartley and Rudi played deeper and scored for fun.

I'm sure the management thought Watt would score more.

Playing better, more attacking. Fine

But I wish we'd signed Zeefuik. I always wanted another striker - especially after Juanma left

Folk are right we don't have a finisher.

I wasn't expecting bucket loads of goals from Watt - he only score 1 in his loan spell at Cardiff but they seemed to love him - but I did think his decision making around the box would be better.

****ing love watching him play though - he's unlike anyone we've had for years. I just wish he could make those breaks he does closer to the goal!!!

I'd rather play CP up front for last 20 mins than Bjorn, not physical enough, doesn't win enough in the air for his height. Hopefully he will get there and we have a player but I'm still to be convinced

Johnsen didn't exactly create anything yesterday while Sammon was involved in a number of chances

Sammon finishing is shocking,1 goal in how many games is just not good enough. I'm not sure Johnsen is the answer tho

Agree with the OP. I think Sammon is extremely disappointing. Very little pace, even less guile and no ability to finish. Not even as dominant in the air as you'd expect him to be. If we're going to play a big man up front, Johnsen at least deserves a run of games before we conclude that he's consistently as bad as Sammon. The management appear to rate him highly, so let's see what he's got.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I wasn't expecting bucket loads of goals from Watt - he only score 1 in his loan spell at Cardiff but they seemed to love him - but I did think his decision making around the box would be better.

******* love watching him play though - he's unlike anyone we've had for years. I just wish he could make those breaks he does closer to the goal!!!

rudi Hartley and cowie scored their goals in and around the box - the first goal in the semi against hibs a perfect example where Hartley got beyond the strikers

watts doing all his half decent work about 35 yards out - even with his ability he is unlikely to be able to dribble past 4 folk and set something up and the odd time he does it's a no brainier for the opposition to foul him at the expense of only a free kick 25 yard out

if he does the same 15-20 yards further up then he only needs to dribble past a couple of guys and if he's brought down its a penalty (or should be)

Robbie no doubt will have thought all this through and decided there would be no space to work with 2 whole strikers up the park but it actually seemed to work against Celtic and Inverness and we looked very dangerous on the break at Aberdeen with sammon and watt upfront and connected (check the Aberdeen forum if u don't believe me)

if watt plays upfront and we're not scoring then fair enough we need a poacher - as said above sammon has never been consistently prolific

realistically there won't be many players in our budget who who can play upfront on their own and be a prolific scorer so either way Robbie will have to play 2 upfront (or at least not isolate them)

Not for me. I thought Sammon played well yesterday, he won alot of headers, closed down alot and was involved in alot of our chances. He should have buried his chance though and Watt should have buried one of his two chances.

Haven't seen enough of Johnsen yet to make a proper judgement but I can't see anything yet which justifies him starting ahead of Sammon.

I don't think there is a need to panic yet. Yes, we should have 6 points instead of 1 and Robbie acknowledged that but that has been purely down to chances missed rather than us being honking.

I don't think we'll be so forgiving against Motherwell.

Some great finishes in the warm-up from Sammon. Don't know what happens during the game.

Thats like comparing chalk and cheese...

You cant compare any player at any level from what they do in training or a warm-up to how the perform react and adjust to game situations...when it matters when it counts when there is pressure and expectation is how you judge a player....

Yesterday was one of the most frustrating watches of the Hearts in a while as its clear we dont have killer players who can take us to the next level whereby we can put in a real threat to the Tic, amongst some other issues we have...

Having not scored in the first half when we had ample opportunities to do so you dont deserve to take the game...

Wasteful in front of goal looks like it will cost us big time if we dont up our levels and execution....

jambos are go!

Agree with the OP. I think Sammon is extremely disappointing. Very little pace, even less guile and no ability to finish. Not even as dominant in the air as you'd expect him to be. If we're going to play a big man up front, Johnsen at least deserves a run of games before we conclude that he's consistently as bad as Sammon. The management appear to rate him highly, so let's see what he's got.

Cant agree Sammon has very little pace based on yesterdays evidence.

Sammon has been our best striker this season. He may not be scoring goals but neither is any other striker, he does bring a fair bit to the team though. A goal and a couple of assists in the SPFL is the best of any of our strikers so far.

Tony Watt is a bit of a problem, talented player but plays far too deep and loses the ball far too much. Need to get him more involved further up the pitch.

Sammon has been our best striker this season. He may not be scoring goals but neither is any other striker, he does bring a fair bit to the team though. A goal and a couple of assists in the SPFL is the best of any of our strikers so far.

Tony Watt is a bit of a problem, talented player but plays far too deep and loses the ball far too much. Need to get him more involved further up the pitch.

Last paragraph spot on - I would play him as 9 he has the ability to cause big problems in and around penalty box and he has always been a striker I think and not a 10

Francis Albert

Sammon has pace but not seen much else.

Johnsen has a good back pass but yet to see he has more than one, or much else.

In the right team with the right supply and support Watt could be a star.

Francis Albert

Our best striker is not scoring goals? Suggests we have a problem.

Our best striker is not scoring goals? Suggests we have a problem.

Yep I agree, a problem we have had for a long time in the spl.

Watt should be up supporting sammon but drops deep to get the ball as the midfield would rather play it square or backwards. Which leaves sammon isolated

LarrysRightFoot

For me I would play Walker, Watt and Nicholson behind Sammon.

The have Kitchen and Djoum/Cowie in the centre of the park.

We aren't doing much wrong just now - just a combo of poor finishing, not getting the breaks and good goal keeping have cost us.

We are playing some good stuff and at times with great pace on the counter.

We are still a work in progress but we are getting there gradually.

I think we are left with the realisation that we have not addressed the forward line goal scoring issue during the summer.

Broken record from me again but we should have been on the ball with this and invested some of the Sow money on a Bosman.  A player with that extra bit of quality (which goes a long way in this league) to put the ball in the net more often than not.  Someone who at this level will be utterly ruthless.

It's a team game and we're joint second highest scorers in the league. A 20-goal a season striker would be great but I prefer goals coming from everywhere. If we stop creating chances that's when it would be time to worry. I think our strikers will start scoring more but hopefully with Walker, Nicolson and co continuing to get them too. Right now we look by far the best team behind Celtic in terms of our all round play.

Bring back Gavin Reilly, at least we seemed to score and win when he played!

We've already got him - Sammon is Reilly on steroids and about as effective.

Funny that Robbie appears to have played a major part in both their signings.

Every team wants a 20 goal a season striker....I think only Celtic will have the players get that this season.

They just aren't readily available....you need a fair bit of luck to get these guys in on our budget.

Re Sammon

Maybe we thought he'd aid the team in scoring goals rather than being the guy to get the goals. 2005/06 is was primarily the midfielders who get the bulk of the goals with Jankuaskas, Bednar, Pospisil and Elliot chipping in with a few.

Anyway....as its stands we are the second top goalscorers in the league and conceded the least. If this scenario is still the case come April/May I would expect a very acceptable end to the season.

Sick and tired of this line about how costly a 20 goal a season striker would be and how impossible it would be for us to get one.

Liam Boyce got that for Ross County last season as did Hemmings for Dundee, Moult for

Motherwell was just short of 20. Why should it be so impossible for us to scout out someone in the lower leagues down south?

Johnsen?

Yes.

Until he plays.

Then it's Muirhead.

20 minutes of Muirhead and we turn to Gavin Reilly.

Sick and tired of this line about how costly a 20 goal a season striker would be and how impossible it would be for us to get one.

Liam Boyce got that for Ross County last season as did Hemmings for Dundee, Moult for

Motherwell was just short of 20. Why should it be so impossible for us to scout out someone in the lower leagues down south?

Correct. Add Hemmings to the list as well.

The trick is to recognise the player before anyone else in our league does. That's the trick Robbie still has to master.

Correct. Add Hemmings to the list as well.

The trick is to recognise the player before anyone else in our league does. That's the trick Robbie still has to master.

I said Hemmings mate! :)

The other thing is that the striker needs to 'fit' our club and how we play.

I said Hemmings mate! :)

The other thing is that the striker needs to 'fit' our club and how we play.

So you did. Sorry about that.

I'm not actually sure what "fitting" our club really means.

Johnsen didn't exactly create anything yesterday while Sammon was involved in a number of chances

Maybe because we kept thumping the ball up in the air to him when he came on - like Sow he obviously has no ariel ability - he needs it on the deck.

Saying that I am beginning to have some doubts about this guy. Apart from one wonderful back heel, he has shown us absolutely nothing so far albeit in limited appearances.  Really hope he can settle in and prove to be a good signing.

Sammon was "involved" in the first half and was completely out of it in the second.  The problem is that he keeps missing chances that a good striker will put away.

Sammon is doing everything right just now apart from scoring.  His hold up and link play is excellent and he works well with Watt.  For some reason he becomes very tentative when he has a sight of goal.  He will need to break that soon but for now I would stick with him.

I think we've perhaps seen the best and worst of Johnsen. Sublime in his first appearance against Inverness and complete dog pump since. Anonymous on Saturday.

Sticking chances away eliminates the pressure we`ve seen build up over the course of a game because of our inability. That`s been the story of the last two matches.

Its got to the stage where the same excuses are being trotted out after every game for certain players. The bottom line is you expect goals from a forward. You expect Hearts to sign someone half competent to do so at our level.

Lets be honest, a decent , composed striker with a bit cunning would have tucked away a couple of the chances we`ve had. We can`t go on saying Sammon or whoever "still does well and pulls around defences".....so did Robbo, Crabbe, De Vries, Bednar, Pospisil etc etc......but they still found the net.

Sticking chances away eliminates the pressure we`ve seen build up over the course of a game because of our inability. That`s been the story of the last two matches.

Its got to the stage where the same excuses are being trotted out after every game for certain players. The bottom line is you expect goals from a forward. You expect Hearts to sign someone half competent to do so at our level.

Lets be honest, a decent , composed striker with a bit cunning would have tucked away a couple of the chances we`ve had. We can`t go on saying Sammon or whoever "still does well and pulls around defences".....so did Robbo, Crabbe, De Vries, Bednar, Pospisil etc etc......but they still found the net.

Our other players outwith the strikers need to be scoring more and trying to score rather than feed strikers all the time.  I think we are over-complicating it and on Saturday there were a few occasions when too many passes were being made when the chance was there to shoot.

I still rate Sammon. He works hard, wins aerial balls and spreads defence. The problems yesterday were not because of Sammon.

Would be keen to try a Johnsen/Sammon pairing with Watt on the wing as he seems to prefer putting balls in than actually taking shots lately...

Thought Johnsen was poor against County. Sammon & Watt did OK but if we're talking changes I'd like to see Muirhead start, probably paired with Watt.

You know we started with Johnsen last week against St Johnstone? His performance was abysmal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely - he was dreadful.  The worst performance I've seen from a Hearts player in a long time.

Up top striker

Not sure that's his preferred position. He's never been exactly a classic #9. Most of his best work has been done coming from deeper and using his movement to make space for others to use in front of him.

It's funny how we are crying out for a 20 goal a season man and there's Cummings at Hibs getting slated by his manager for not doing enough.  I am enjoying the Sammon \ Watt inter play but FFS just put the ball in the net!!!

Our other players outwith the strikers need to be scoring more and trying to score rather than feed strikers all the time. I think we are over-complicating it and on Saturday there were a few occasions when too many passes were being made when the chance was there to shoot.

Our strikers have scored 2 out of the 11 we've already scored. I'd say that stat kind of suggests the rest of the team's chipping in wouldn't you?

Archived