Time to start with Johnsen

kimosavi

Sammon ineffective of late time to start with the big fella and see what he brings

Hopefully he can finish

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I still rate Sammon. He works hard, wins aerial balls and spreads defence. The problems yesterday were not because of Sammon.

Would be keen to try a Johnsen/Sammon pairing with Watt on the wing as he seems to prefer putting balls in than actually taking shots lately...

Sammon ineffective of late time to start with the big fella and see what he brings

Hopefully he can finish

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You know we started with Johnsen last week against St Johnstone? His performance was abysmal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jambof3tornado

Whilst sammon has improved his goalscoring has not.

I'd move watt deeper behind a front 2 and give Johnsen and muirhead the gametime sammon has been given.

Waste of time johnsen coming on so late yesterday.

I still rate Sammon. He works hard, wins aerial balls and spreads defence. The problems yesterday were not because of Sammon.

Would be keen to try a Johnsen/Sammon pairing with Watt on the wing as he seems to prefer putting balls in than actually taking shots lately...

Were you at Perth?

Were you at Perth?

I think the answer to that is obvious. Sammon at least has shots on goal. I don't remember Johnson having any yesterday, and am struggling to remember if he had any in Perth. I'd keep him on the bench for the time being, but he needs a good half hour when he does come on.

You know we started with Johnsen last week against St Johnstone? His performance was abysmal.

Sammon was abysmal for his first few games. Nearly impossible for a new player to click straight away.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sammon did ok yesterday. I've seen nothing from Johnsen to merit a place in the team.

The one player who should get a run is Muirhead, simply for the reason he's left footed and our team is horrendously imbalanced.

Sammon did ok yesterday. I've seen nothing from Johnsen to merit a place in the team.

The one player who should get a run is Muirhead, simply for the reason he's left footed and our team is horrendously imbalanced.

Having a left foot is not a reason for being included in the team.

He is not as good as the players already playing so he shouldn't start imo. He doesn't look like the natural finisher we've been crying out for in the last couple of games.

Decent shout. Muirhead seems to have a bit attitude about him when he comes on which I like.

It is different starting a game though. It's easy to come on as a sub and look busy for the last 20 minutes , but from the start you are expected to lead the line every minute of the game.

We won't know until he gets a chance of course but I feel Neilson won't be in a hurry to rest Sammon.

Apart from the back heel against Caley he's done nothing to warrant a start.

Sammon has been doing ok just needs to start putting his chances away.

No no no started last week st Johnstone looked out of his depth salmon looks faster and fitter than he was at the start of the season ,plus he's good at holding the ball up unlike johnsen just hasn't found his feet yet but given time I think he will be an asset to the team

I am not a fan of Sammon, but haven't really seen anything from Johnsen yet to suggest he should play ahead of him.

Perhaps our best attacking combination could exclude both, for now. Not quite sure what that would be, though. Watt as the front man, Djoum behind, and Sam and Walker on the wings?

Apart from the back heel against Caley he's done nothing to warrant a start.

Sammon has been doing ok just needs to start putting his chances away.

Agree.

Sammon does well and while he fell out the game a bit in the 2nd half it certainly wasn't entirely his fault.

I found myself asking what we'd done in the first 20 mins of the 2nd half? There was just no creativeness through the middle or link up play.

Nicholson hid out wide. Once that happens it's an even harder battle for a forward.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Having a left foot is not a reason for being included in the team.

He is not as good as the players already playing so he shouldn't start imo. He doesn't look like the natural finisher we've been crying out for in the last couple of games.

I wouldn't play him as a striker. I'd play him as a wide left player, giving Watt a free role in the middle.

I wouldn't play him as a striker. I'd play him as a wide left player, giving Watt a free role in the middle.

Watt already appears to have a free role.

Our problem isn't creating chances....it's taking them. I don't see how playing Muirhead left wing would make any difference.

Seymour M Hersh

Not seen anything from Johnson to merit a place over Sammon at this point. As GK mentioned Moorhead is due a run ahead of Bjorn.

I'd prefer changes are made earlier.

Yesterday's starting is our best team for me with Walker out of form a bit.

But you can see a second half slump with a bit of a lack of ideas. Liked that Watt played 90 minutes but could have changed it earlier.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Watt already appears to have a free role.

Our problem isn't creating chances....it's taking them. I don't see how playing Muirhead left wing would make any difference.

Simply because teams funnel us onto the left wing on that side because neither Rherras nor the selected wide player have the ability to get in behind them. We are creating chances but how many are close to goal?

Simply because teams funnel us onto the left wing on that side because neither Rherras nor the selected wide player have the ability to get in behind them. We are creating chances but how many are close to goal?

20 minutes of Muirhead yesterday would have been a good option

Based on what performances in this area of the pitch have led you to think Muirhead is the answer to our very recent goalscoring issues ?

I think we are left with the realisation that we have not addressed the forward line goal scoring issue during the summer.

Broken record from me again but we should have been on the ball with this and invested some of the Sow money on a Bosman.  A player with that extra bit of quality (which goes a long way in this league) to put the ball in the net more often than not.  Someone who at this level will be utterly ruthless.

I think we are left with the realisation that we have not addressed the forward line goal scoring issue during the summer.

Broken record from me again but we should have been on the ball with this and invested some of the Sow money on a Bosman. A player with that extra bit of quality (which goes a long way in this league) to put the ball in the net more often than not. Someone who at this level will be utterly ruthless.

Like zeefuik?

Based on what performances in this area of the pitch have led you to think Muirhead is the answer to our very recent goalscoring issues ?

He can get beyond the right back and cut back for a player in the box.

Sam had a great chance to do this second half yesterday but blazed over with an angled shot instead.

Broken record from me again but we should have been on the ball with this and invested some of the Sow money on a Bosman.  A player with that extra bit of quality (which goes a long way in this league) to put the ball in the net more often than not.  Someone who at this level will be utterly ruthless.

Whilst I don't think there is a single person who would disagree with you....

Think this is easier said than done. These players don't exactly grown on trees and are often hugely expensive. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Sammon and watt upfront look a very decent partnership at this level

The other 2 looked decent options to bring on

now playing 1 upfront with watt in midfield/free role and it's all gone to f&&?

quelle surprise - well done Robbie

Broken record from me again but we should have been on the ball with this and invested some of the Sow money on a Bosman. A player with that extra bit of quality (which goes a long way in this league) to put the ball in the net more often than not. Someone who at this level will be utterly ruthless.

Perhaps Johnsen is that player. Still very early days for him.

Whilst I don't think there is a single person who would disagree with you....

Think this is easier said than done. These players don't exactly grown on trees and are often hugely expensive. 

Have no doubt that this player would have cost a bit of money in wages - and I'm not talking about paying someone 8k a week.   It should have been the priority when the club looked at things at the start of the year and what to bring in.

The fact that we went with Sammon (who tries his hardest) who one season apart at Killie several years ago suggests that the club felt goals were not an issue up top or we got it badly wrong in judging what goals Sammon would bring to the team.  Both scenarios dont have a happy ending come the end of the season.

Perhaps Johnsen is that player. Still very early days for him.

Absolutely.   I dont see someone who is going to get the goals we crave from a forward but you are right in that its very early days for him.

Sammon and watt upfront look a very decent partnership at this level

The other 2 looked decent options to bring on

now playing 1 upfront with watt in midfield/free role and it's all gone to f&&?

quelle surprise - well done Robbie

Yeah

It's a different conversation with just a couple of chances taken.

Tynecastle would have exploded yesterday with a late winner.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Yeah

It's a different conversation with just a couple of chances taken.

Tynecastle would have exploded yesterday with a late winner.

firhill exploded too but it was still obvious watt was too deep (most of the time)

the chance at Aberdeen that watt blazed over came about because he was up there supporting sammon yesterday sammon isolated a lot just like johnsrn last week

the slightly less fickle will realise an individual win or loss doesn't necessarily mean good or bad longer term

point is we don't know if Sammons went off the boil or whether cowie only has 3 good games in him a season because they are now effectively being asked to play totally different roles than they were when they had performed so well that sammon had won over some very strong boo-boys and cowie was being described as hartleyesque

he has changed it and it hasn't worked like it almost never works when he tries to complicate things

Geoff Kilpatrick

I don't see Muirhead as the scorer. He could possibly be a part of the solution to creating better goalscoring chances.

Have no doubt that this player would have cost a bit of money in wages - and I'm not talking about paying someone 8k a week.   It should have been the priority when the club looked at things at the start of the year and what to bring in.

The fact that we went with Sammon (who tries his hardest) who one season apart at Killie several years ago suggests that the club felt goals were not an issue up top or we got it badly wrong in judging what goals Sammon would bring to the team.  Both scenarios dont have a happy ending come the end of the season.

Every team wants a 20 goal a season striker....I think only Celtic will have the players get that this season. 

They just aren't readily available....you need a fair bit of luck to get these guys in on our budget.

Re Sammon

Maybe we thought he'd aid the team in scoring goals rather than being the guy to get the goals. 2005/06 is was primarily the midfielders who get the bulk of the goals with Jankuaskas, Bednar, Pospisil and Elliot chipping in with a few.

Anyway....as its stands we are the second top goalscorers in the league and conceded the least. If this scenario is still the case come April/May I would expect a very acceptable end to the season.

I don't see Muirhead as the scorer. He could possibly be a part of the solution to creating better goalscoring chances.

Possibly......

I'd wage he isn't the guy to create more chances from that position than we're already creating.

He just doesn't seem that style of player to me.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Possibly......

I'd wage he isn't the guy to create more chances from that position than we're already creating.

He just doesn't seem that style of player to me.

That might be true as well.

I'm saying there's nothing to lose in picking him ahead of Walker or Nicholson and trying it.

Early days but for me Johnson isn't going to offer much, we're a poacher short of being a very good team.

That might be true as well.

I'm saying there's nothing to lose in picking him ahead of Walker or Nicholson and trying it.

Muirhead just isn't the guy to create any better opportunities than we have been.

Why not play watt in midfield as he is doing, drop djoum and play sammon and johnsonn upfront ???????

Main reason for me- Djoum is the best player out of the four of them, so should be starting.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Muirhead just isn't the guy to create any better opportunities than we have been.

For a guy who spammed another thread with a catch all of ?ou don't know that, this is ironic in the extreme.

Johnsen didn't exactly create anything yesterday while Sammon was involved in a number of chances

If by involved in a number of chances you mean consistently missing 1 on 1's then yes you're correct. I'd personally rather be playing someone who can consistently put these chances away.

Time to see if Johnsen is capable imo.

Archived