Tony Watt

Perth to Paisley

He's definitely a class above but I find him so frustrating to watch. Holds the ball for too long and ends up losing it more times than not. Quite often today he gave the ball away in deep, stupid positions that put us under pressure. He also passes when he should shoot and he shoots when he should pass. Frustrating, but we are lucky to have him.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's definitely a class above but I find him so frustrating to watch. Holds the ball for too long and ends up losing it more times than not. Quite often today he gave the ball away in deep, stupid positions that put us under pressure. He also passes when he should shoot and he shoots when he should pass. Frustrating, but we are lucky to have him.

Yes , I'm not denying he loses the ball sometimes but look at the fleet of foot, the way he glides away from players and can open up the game for us.

He never hides and always wants it. Some of our players need to take heed but im not so sure you can give someone courage if they don't have it already.

Someone tell the laddie to take some responsibility every time he gets into a scoring position he passes ,he should have about 8 goals by now ,the question is who or what is influencing his decision on the park cos what I've seen its been easier to score

Someone tell the laddie to take some responsibility every time he gets into a scoring position he passes ,he should have about 8 goals by now ,the question is who or what is influencing his decision on the park cos what I've seen its been easier to score

well, on one hand he's getting moaned at for being greedy but today he laid on two chances when he possibly could've had a go himself.

He can't win.

He's at the heart of most of our good play just now.

You seen the same game I watched then

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Could be a great player but he isn't because he wants to be the big show. Prima Donna. Going off him to be honest

Watt is head and shoulders above any other Hearts player. The fact he has to come deep to pick up the ball is because the 3 Defensive Midfielders make no effort to attack.

Yes he overdoes it at times, but maybe if other players offered decent options he would pass more.

He is the only creative spark we have. I cannot believe other fans are slating him.

Watt is head and shoulders above any other Hearts player. The fact he has to come deep to pick up the ball is because the 3 Defensive Midfielders make no effort to attack.

Yes he overdoes it at times, but maybe if other players offered decent options he would pass more.

He is the only creative spark we have. I cannot believe other fans are slating him.

bang on mate.

The midfield should be pushing the play so that Watt can do his damage closer to goal.

That includes Kitchen who just sits deep for the whole game.

Some posters may have a point that he is doing too much but not that he offers little. Neilson would point out to him, surely, if he didn't want Watt picking the ball up so deep but he doesn't. Nor do any of the players. The midfield is slow and our wide men provide pretty pathetic service.

Jambof3tornado

Watt's a ball greedy ******* and needs to lift his head.

It's starting to look like he's another forward who isn't going to score goals.

This.

No doubting his talent but needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass.

You seen the same game I watched then

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

And me .....christened him Tony 5 touch today a very frustrating player, needs to be dropped IMO. Start with Johnsen and Sammon or Muirhead we just need to change something. 5 touches and lets beat my man again isn't winning it for us just now

michaeljambo22

Could beat 5 players and still rather pass than have a shot in to an empty net! Needs some confidence infront of goal and learn to have a pop sometimes instead of always trying to pass or take more players on!

michaeljambo22

Could beat 5 players and still rather pass than have a shot in to an empty net! Needs some confidence infront of goal and learn to have a pop sometimes instead of always trying to pass or take more players on!

posted this in the match thread but i will paste it here as well

"i don't want to start a new thread but Tony Watt... what does he actually bring to the team? he has played something like 8 games and has contributed 2 passes that lead to an assist ( so not even an assist) and a goal from a yard out that the keeper should have done better with twice, 

other that that he gives away possession nearly every time he gets the ball, i don't get it,"

I agree Dinger.  You will not be popular with your view because some players are above scrutiny.

He contributed well to the 1st (?)goal in a 5-1 victory but since has done sod all.  He flatters to deceive but his net contribution is nil.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What is his end product, we are not seeing value in that respect. That's what turns him from a showboater to a quality player. It is about Heart of Midlothian, not Tony Watt

Playing far too deep.  No sign of a partnership with the lumbering Sammon.

I would give Watt, Nicholson and Walker a try as a fluid front three.  Sammon doesn't even challenge for a high ball so no loss when the 'big man' is taken out.

His problem is for a guy of nearly 23 he has played very little football, theres a reason for that, I said a few weeks back people need to reel in their expectations othrrwise they will be left disapointed.

Little football, eh, lost on that one.

siegementality

And me .....christened him Tony 5 touch today a very frustrating player, needs to be dropped IMO. Start with Johnsen and Sammon or Muirhead we just need to change something. 5 touches and lets beat my man again isn't winning it for us just now

Yes we definitely need to drop our most creative player and keep playing Sammon. Next!!!

What is his end product, we are not seeing value in that respect. That's what turns him from a showboater to a quality player. It is about Heart of Midlothian, not Tony Watt

No one is suggesting he is the answer to our goal scoring problems. However, he is our most skilful player and needs to be encouraged to shoot more often.

If the Midfield played further forward then so would he. He needs to do his trickery in the opposition penalty box rather than just over the half way line.

Perhaps the lumbering oaf next to him is not helping..........

Hearts best player today by a mile. Did Djoum's job as well. No complaints here for effort or ability. If others had shown the same drive, we would have won comfortably.

it's not the point of effort he plays to deep , sammon was willing headers and watt was no where near him at times

Ernie Eskilsson

The midfield was pretty shapeless yesterday, Cowie was wasted out wide and Watt playing too deep only confused things. He needs to play further forward to support Sammon who played well but was too isolated.

The midfield was pretty shapeless yesterday, Cowie was wasted out wide and Watt playing too deep only confused things. He needs to play further forward to support Sammon who played well but was too isolated.

There are a few elements to our game that are hindering us and Robbie must be aware but doesnt know how best to play it...

One of the biggest and you pick up on it yourself is playing Cowie out of position...its so obvious Mr Magoo can see it...

He played some truly fantastic football at the start of the season playing in the middle of the park for the whole game...driving dominating and creating...

Now we are back to rotating him throughout the game from left to right back in to the centre every 15-20 mins...its laughable..

...whilst having a fluid system is good it shouldnt be forced upon the team and players simply for the sake of it...

I feel Djoum also is falling foul to this approach and his performances reflect that constant changing and tinkering too :(

fraz the postie

I think still our most gifted attacking player,

As other posters have said,wish he would shoot more,

Maybe not play so deep,but he is quick so he soon makes up ground.

Is the downright refusal to have a shot really a result of confidence? Because he's been doing it from his first game.

Watching him try and beat 4 men on the edge of the box before losing the ball is really, really ****ing frustrating.

Yes we definitely need to drop our most creative player and keep playing Sammon. Next!!!

He created nothing yesterday, wants too many touches and lays the ball off when it would have been better to have a strike on goal.....dropped or told to stay up top and stop coming deep for the ball.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I would agree we are trying to shoehorn Cowie Djoum and Kitchen in. Another day we lack width

I'd like to see Watt played right up front in a 4-2-3-1.Having 4 strikers doesn't mean that 2 of them have to play in every match.

If only he'd packed his shooting boots he could've been a full blown hero for us by now.

Still though glad we've got him and sure he'll contribute plenty over the season.

Hearts best player today by a mile. Did Djoum's job as well. No complaints here for effort or ability. If others had shown the same drive, we would have won comfortably.

Nonsense he was getting in Djoums way he was far to deep and you could see Djoum pointing that out to him and he did not do his job for him, if we play 2 up front we need 2 up front and not one dropping deep into midfield, he needs to be closer to Sammon and take chances on knock downs ect which he didn't do. Sammon won balls in the air to knock forward and there was no one there. I like him, very good player but he needs to know areas that he does not need to go into. He should not be taking free kicks IMO now he has had his chance , you could see Paterson was trying to get the ball of him in the second half free kick

Made some excellent runs yesterday and was getting frustrated at lack of movement from players around him,having just watched Aberdeen game and the pace and width they possessed against Rangers he would be a revelation in a set up like them.

I really struggle to see the player others seem to.

His finishing is poor, his passing (on the odd occasion he does) is even worse.

Yes he can beat a man however he turns back and tries to then beat the man again rather than do something productive.

I believe he's only got 1 goal and I don't remember a lot of chances he's created so I really don't see the positives with him.

And his set pieces are truly truly abysmal.

Made some excellent runs yesterday and was getting frustrated at lack of movement from players around him,having just watched Aberdeen game and the pace and width they possessed against Rangers he would be a revelation in a set up like them.

Good Point, we do not commit enough players to our attacks in support. I noticed more so rangers attacking with 6 and 7 players - we try to score with the minimum of players possible.

Mind you when we start with only 3 attack minded players, is it any wonder we struggle?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Good Point, we do not commit enough players to our attacks in support. I noticed more so rangers attacking with 6 and 7 players - we try to score with the minimum of players possible.

Mind you when we start with only 3 attack minded players, is it any wonder we struggle?

Rangers are struggling for goals

Rangers are struggling for goals

OK I also watched Man U attack with 6/7 players, happy?

The point I am making is we do not support our forwards or offer enough options. 

I'm beginning to wonder if midfield isn't his natural position, playing alongside Djoum or Cowie. I would like to see Johnsen and Sammon playing together up front with Watt in the midfield. Worth a try surely.

I'd like to see Watt played right up front in a 4-2-3-1.Having 4 strikers doesn't mean that 2 of them have to play in every match.

Yes, that appeals to me. Watt up front, walker, Sam and djoum behind, then kitchen and cowie in midfield.

Watt should be up

Supporting sammon but comes deep

For the ball as the midfield pass the ball sideways or backwards leaving sammon isolated on the rare occasion it is passed forward

Yes, that appeals to me. Watt up front, walker, Sam and djoum behind, then kitchen and cowie in midfield.

But the problem comes with responsibility.

Watt isn't someone you are going to fire balls into and expect him to hold it up.

Therefore, for it to work the likes of Nicholson, Walker and the midfield MUST be good enough to work the ball on the deck for the majority of the time...play strongly as a unit, move the ball quickly and be confident in possession.

I have my doubts. Having a proper target man at least gives you an out ball and for the likes of Walker etc...to get forward earlier.

We have good players but I'm not wholly convinced they are consistent enough or good enough to play without a player of Sammon's type ahead of them.

But the problem comes with responsibility.

Watt isn't someone you are going to fire balls into and expect him to hold it up.

Therefore, for it to work the likes of Nicholson, Walker and the midfield MUST be good enough to work the ball on the deck for the majority of the time...play strongly as a unit, move the ball quickly and be confident in possession.

I have my doubts. Having a proper target man at least gives you an out ball and for the likes of Walker etc...to get forward earlier.

We have good players but I'm not wholly convinced they are consistent enough or good enough to play without a player of Sammon's type ahead of them.

For me, the one thing Watt does do pretty much every time the ball gets to him is hold it up. He receives the ball, and his first thought seems to be retain possession and create an opening.

Sammon works hard, but I wouldn't say he's effective at holding the ball up.

For me, the one thing Watt does do pretty much every time the ball gets to him is hold it up. He receives the ball, and his first thought seems to be retain possession and create an opening.

Sammon works hard, but I wouldn't say he's effective at holding the ball up.

I would argue he does hold the ball up well and turn his man but more in midfield when he's dropped off away from the defence.

It would be much harder if he was playing right up against centre halves.

However mate, I'm all for trying it. One thing he can do is turn players and if he brings that on the edge of the box it can only bear fruit.

Playing far too deep. No sign of a partnership with the lumbering Sammon.

I would give Watt, Nicholson and Walker a try as a fluid front three. Sammon doesn't even challenge for a high ball so no loss when the 'big man' is taken out.

Worth thinking about IMO.

People moaning about Robbie tinkering at St Johnstone missed a fundamental point.

Taking Sammon out the team didn't reduce our performance.

Even with Johnsen relatively anonymous we still should have been out of sight by half time and we played as well away from home as we have done in a while.

What does that really say about Sammon's effectiveness?

Challenge for me is that Watt is effective in the areas of the park we don't need him to be effective thus nullifying Djoum's presence in there. He's trying to play the Rooney role. The number of times I saw Sammon creating space for him to run directly into (by dragging defenders away) only for him to go sideways or try to beat a man he'd already beat was doing my head in. I can tell already that he's going to be undropable in most folk's eyes no matter how he performs, but I reckon that's more down to name and reputation. Not doubting the talent and the effort, but he needs to reign it in and be more direct.

Playing Watt with another striker just isn't working for me and I think the criticism of Sammon has been harsh. Sammon's puts a ton of work in and holds the ball up well, but he needs better support up the pitch with him. I'd like to see more of Muirhead for a start.

Is it in his contract to take every free kick?

Today was also another example of him taking too long to move the ball on.

Having the odd shot might help as well.

Personally prefer my forwards to be in the box...

Feel better after that.

To be fair he doesn't hide.

And as for Robbie tha was a bit of a half hearted tackle on the Ross County bench..deserved to be halved

With Ozturk on the park I was amazed that he was not given the chance to have a pop!

Watt is a great wee player to watch but he needs to learn to release the ball earlier, far too often he turns back into danger or holds onto the ball a couple of seconds too long. If he can sort out this one issue he will create a Barrow loadchances

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Archived