Top Ten Managers Of All Time

joseywales

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stephane Grappelli

Anatoly Korobochka > the rest.

This, in bucketloads.

People also seem to be criminally overlooking Rix, Malofeev and Frail in all of this. It was basically Rix's team that won the Cup in 2006 before Valdas nicked in, spanked Hibs 4-0 in the semi and stole all the credit. Malofeev then laid the foundations for the unparalleled success which we enjoyed in the Frail/Korobochka era, sometimes referred to as the Korobochka/Frail era.

This, in bucketloads.

People also seem to be criminally overlooking Rix, Malofeev and Frail in all of this. It was basically Rix's team that won the Cup in 2006 before Valdas nicked in, spanked Hibs 4-0 in the semi and stole all the credit. Malofeev then laid the foundations for the unparalleled success which we enjoyed in the Frail/Korobochka era, sometimes referred to as the Korobochka/Frail era.

I think it is generally accepted now that Malofeev was the founding father of the current Hearts team.

Stephane Grappelli

I think it is generally accepted now that Malofeev was the founding father of the current Hearts team.

Correct. History will show that he influenced the club on and off the pitch in much the same way that Johann Cruyff did at FC Barcelona.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Marcello Lippi:

2 x World's Best Football Manager (1996 & 1998)

1 x World's Best National Coach (2006)

1 x World Cup

1 x Champions League

1 x UEFA Supercup

1 x Intercontinental Cup

1 x AFC Champions League

5 x Serie A

3 x Chinese Super League

1 x Chinese Cup

1 x Coppa Italia

4 x Italian Supercup

MARCELLO-LIPPI-HA-VINTO.jpg

1. Alex Ferguson

2. Jock Stein

3. Brian Clough

4. Matt Busby

5. Bill Shankly

6.Jose Mourinho

7. Vicente Del Bosque

8. Johann Cryuff

9. Tommy Walker

10. Bill Struth

no. 10 is a very interesting choice for a Hearts fan. :uhoh2:  

I would omit Pep completely

He has never won anything he was not expected to.

He has never won anything with an even moderately minted and well set up club.

He inherited an awesome Barcelona,

then an awesome Bayern

and now a League champions rolling in dosh City

meh

Even Jose did the diddyish team thing

Big Slim Stylee

Then you maybe need to consider Arrigo Sacchi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point.  How about Top 12= ?

Indeed.

But was he not, like so many Rangers 'legends" a Hearts man. He was born in Gorgie,  & was a Hearts shareholder for a time pre Rangers..  Still wouldn't be anywhere near that list for me though.

Francis Albert

Tommy Walker is a pretty odd choice too. A great, almost certainly greatest Hearts manager (although he owed a lot to Davie Mclean), but nowhere near the top ten in the world. 

This, in bucketloads.

What utter nonsense.

How can you possibly name them ahead of Tommy McLean and John McGlynn?

1. Alex Ferguson

2. Jock Stein

3. Brian Clough

4. Matt Busby

5. Bill Shankly

6.Jose Mourinho

7. Vicente Del Bosque

8. Johann Cryuff

9. Tommy Walker

10. Bill Struth

would have had big jock, but good selections :beatnik2:

I would omit Pep completely

He has never won anything he was not expected to.

He has never won anything with an even moderately minted and well set up club.

He inherited an awesome Barcelona,

then an awesome Bayern

and now a League champions rolling in dosh City

meh

Even Jose did the diddyish team thing

Barcelona had won nowt for the 2 seasons previous before he took over.

He has led his sides to the semi finals of the Champions league 7 years in a row.

Although not the best he is up there.

6 league titles.

4 national cups.

2 champions league,where they pissed all over Fergie's United.

He has led his sides to the semi finals of the Champions league 7 years in a row.

6 league titles.

4 national cups.

The reason Pep gets no credit is he started at Barca for some reason this seems to go against him.

Imo it should be the opposite, to take that on as your first job (barca reserves aside) and make a success of it puts you up there with the best. To then have a balls to move countries deserves more credit. I fairly sure he could've stayed at barca for as long as he wanted.

Stephane Grappelli

What utter nonsense.

How can you possibly name them ahead of Tommy McLean and John McGlynn?

Sorry mate, totally forgot about those guys. Tommy had us playing some of the best football I've seen in my lifetime and JM was responsible for one of the greatest results in the club's history, Rotherham 0-1 Hearts.

Ernst Happel in 4 different countries with pap teams.

ADO Den Haag

Dutch Cup: 1967?68

Feyenoord

Dutch Championship: 1970?71

European Cup: 1969?70

Intercontinental Cup: 1970

Club Brugge

Belgian Championship: 1975?76, 1976?77, 1977?78

Belgian Cup: 1976?77

UEFA Cup: 1975?76 (Runner-up)

European Cup: 1977?78 (Runner-up)

Standard Liege

Belgian Cup: 1980?81

Belgian Supercup: 1981

Belgian Championship: 1979?80 (Runner-up)

The Netherlands

FIFA World Cup: (Runner?Up) 1978

Hamburger SV

German Championship: 1981?82, 1982?83

German Cup: 1986?87

European Cup: 1982?83

UEFA Cup: 1981?82 (Runner-up)

European Super Cup: 1983 (Runner-up)

Intercontinental Cup: 1983 (Runner-up)

FC Swarovski Tirol

Austrian Championship: 1988?89, 1989?90

Austrian Cup: 1988?89

I'm assuming that Bill Nicholson,on you're list. A great manager who lead Spurs to the league and cup double.

Indeed. A very impressive manager.

I thought it might have gone something like this:

1. Bill Struth

2. Walter Smith

3. Jock Wallace

4. Scot Symon

5. Davie White

6. Graeme Souness

7. Alex McLeish

8. Dick Advocaat

9. John Greig

10. Alex Ferguson

6 league titles.

4 national cups.

Inherited a fantastic side from Rijkaard at Barcelona, then one at Bayern from Heynckes.

And City were basically a side already built too.

Ferguson took 3 clubs who were all down on their luck and won things with them all, often beating teams with a bigger budget than the bottomless pits of cash that Pep has to work with and always has. The sheer fact of the matter is that Pep takes the easy jobs and does really well with them. He cannot be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Sir Alex Ferguson. No danger.

Indeed.

But was he not, like so many Rangers 'legends" a Hearts man. He was born in Gorgie,  & was a Hearts shareholder for a time pre Rangers..  Still wouldn't be anywhere near that list for me though.

According to wiki born Leith. Did work as trainer at Hearts.

I thought it might have gone something like this:

1. Bill Struth

2. Walter Smith

3. Jock Wallace

4. Scot Symon

5. Davie White

6. Graeme Souness

7. Alex McLeish

8. Dick Advocaat

9. John Greig

10. Alex Ferguson

Now Mr Wales, that's how you do it.

Stephane Grappelli

Don't forget joe Jordan, tactical genius. [emoji6]

Right enough!  Shocking that he's been overlooked so far.

1. Brian Clough

2. Rinus Michels

3. Helenio Herrera

4. Bob Paisley

5. Jose Mourinho

6. Pep Guardiola

7. Bobby Robson

8. Otmar Hitzfeld

9. Carlo Ancelotti

10. Jim Jefferies

Inherited a fantastic side from Rijkaard at Barcelona, then one at Bayern from Heynckes.

And City were basically a side already built too.

Ferguson took 3 clubs who were all down on their luck and won things with them all, often beating teams with a bigger budget than the bottomless pits of cash that Pep has to work with and always has. The sheer fact of the matter is that Pep takes the easy jobs and does really well with them. He cannot be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Sir Alex Ferguson. No danger.

Barca side he inherited was so fantastic they had won nothing for 2 seasons.

Not saying he is better than Fergie but deserves a place for what he has achieved in about 8 years of management.

Marcello Lippi:

1 x World Cup

1 x Champions League

1 x UEFA Supercup

1 x Intercontinental Cup

1 x AFC Champions League

5 x Serie A

3 x Chinese Super League

1 x Chinese Cup

1 x Coppa Italia

4 x Italian Supercup

Absolutely nail on head, 3 champions league finals in a row, leaves and when he comes back takes them back to another

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Barca side he inherited was so fantastic they had won nothing for 2 seasons.

Not saying he is better than Fergie but deserves a place for what he has achieved in about 8 years of management.

It's hardly rocket science to make a team containing players like Henry, Eto'o and Messi title winners really.

It'd be easier to say he was a brilliant manager if he'd done what he done with someone like Everton, Deportivo La Coruna or Wolfsburg.

scott herbertson

Jack Reynolds invented total football and taught Ajax and the Netherlands national team  - his legacy was enormous

I would have a similar trophy haul as Guardiola in his shoes. Disgraceful to mention him in the same breath as some of these greats. Handed virtually everything and spoiled for choice/funds.

Marcello Lippi:

1 x World Cup

1 x Champions League

1 x UEFA Supercup

1 x Intercontinental Cup

1 x AFC Champions League

5 x Serie A

3 x Chinese Super League

1 x Chinese Cup

1 x Coppa Italia

4 x Italian Supercup

I can't believe I forget him on my list.

rudi must stay

I would have a similar trophy haul as Guardiola in his shoes. Disgraceful to mention him in the same breath as some of these greats. Handed virtually everything and spoiled for choice/funds.

If you aren't a great coach you are quickly sussed out by top level players and you lose control, thats how it seems anyway. Pep never has anywhere

Bazzas right boot

Although I wouldn't put pep in the list yet.

Fast forward ten or twenty years, he'll have a bout double the haul of trophies of anyone else.

Well on his way of being the most successful club manager ever, he'll manage Spain or Brazil at some point as well imo, could add international trophies in the future.

If you aren't a great coach you are quickly sussed out by top level players and you lose control, thats how it seems anyway. Pep never has anywhere

Contrast his record with virtually the same squad at Bayern with Jupp Heynckes's last season before Guardiola came in. Heynckes's far better with exactly the same resources.

Guardiola has been spoiled everywhere and for me isn't even as good as Mourinho, who I don't like, as he built that Porto team from scratch.

Alf Ramsey

Terry Venables

Sam Allardyce

Pat Fenlon

Ally McCoist

Bertie Vogts

Ally McLeod

Mixup Paataalainaan

...(runs for cover...)

rudi must stay

Contrast his record with virtually the same squad at Bayern with Jupp Heynckes's last season before Guardiola came in. Heynckes's far better with exactly the same resources.

Guardiola has been spoiled everywhere and for me isn't even as good as Mourinho, who I don't like, as he built that Porto team from scratch.

He's got Jose's number so I rate him higher. Success would tell you that but Bayern played better football in my opinion under Pep and scored a lot of goals, he was penalties away from the Champions League semis twice. I think even quarters is a success at the moment as it is an incredibly tough tournament

avhudtheteeshirt

Clough is no. 1 for me.  To take modest clubs from domestic backwaters to national and international prominence takes some doing and Clough achieved it with Notts Forest and Derby.

Ferguson has to be considered too because of his longevity and effectively producing 4 or 5 different, but still successful, squads. My only caveat is that Man Utd had the financial resources to be the top side throughout his tenure, whereas Clough's achievements were down to selective recruitment and bloody good coaching

That for me means Jock Stein is way out in front. To take an all Scottish team to win a top European Trophy, I don't think that will ever be topped!

I don't think any other Country could claim they have a team that has achieved that, even some International teams now have foreign players nationalised to play for their new country.

Jock's team came from within  a 30 mile radius of Parkhead! 

Don't know Leicester boss's name but perhaps he should be in there somewhere. [emoji482]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Make it a Top 12 and shoe-horn Ancelotti in there with him. Feel he never quite gets the credit he deserves.

Agree about Anceltotti not getting the credit he deserves.

He has won league titles in 3 different countries, will be 4 after this year.

Won CL with two different clubs

Won a host of other cups across 4 countries. (5 this year)

A lot of the managers on the list are guys who did it at one or two clubs, he has been a success pretty much most clubs he has went to and is still the person wanted by one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Rinus Michels has to be in there.

My first thought too.. Plus Helenio Herrera, great success in Spain with Atleti & Barca, and at Inter, albeit winning things by playing catenaccio..

Malofeev is def my favourite, if only for the memorable interviews he gave... Classics..

Whilst I'm no Guardiola fan boy, people seem to forget that he inherited a pretty poor side, two bangs ever age seasons at the end of Rijkaards tenure. And he took the bold decision, & proved correct, to dump Ronaldhino & Deco, who should both have been in there prime, and put his faith in Messi, who'd had a series of niggling injuries at that point. Plus he did improve the style of play at Bayern, even if he did fail in the real aim to dominate the Champions League with them..

The White Cockade

Surprised nobody has mentioned Davie McLean

My Old Man always said he was the man who built the great team of the 50's rather than Tommy Walker and was

his favourite manager

He was the one who brought Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh to Tynecastle so that says it all

Archived