John Souttar

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Saw he is was getting praise for his performance today. Some journalists even tipping him to be in the Scotland squad by the end of the season with the way he is going.

How did those there and watching think of his performance?

Italian Lambretta

Another solid game by the lad. However unlikely to get a gane for Scotland until he's about 30 or playing for the old firm.

So taking today and last week he's been given more responsibility. Go to man for ball at back going forward. Could do that more and wasn't seriously pressed in either game but runs forward are good.

Did well defensively today including clearances though whole defence does still look shaky.

He was a bit more aggressive today at times which I liked.

Too early to be OTT but good he's getting games.

Better than both Webster and Berra at this age. Maybe better than both of them at their peak.

Out of this current squad he'll get us the biggest fee - might not be for a season or two but he's worth a lot.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Was outstanding against Aberdeen. Still three years on his contract. Cost us 100-150k?

Looks an absolute steal right now.

He's also one of the best passers at the club, if not in the league. So much talent and, if he keeps developing, will play at a very high level.

He's also one of the best passers at the club, if not in the league. So much talent and, if he keeps developing, will play at a very high level.

This.

Most exciting young scottish centre half we have had since Alan Mclaren. We will sell few years down the line for a lot of money.

Had a ropey start to rhe season ( who didn't? ) but I think he has a lot of potential and is a great signing.

portobellojambo1

Saw he is was getting praise for his performance today. Some journalists even tipping him to be in the Scotland squad by the end of the season with the way he is going.

How did those there and watching think of his performance?

When he arrived my comments were, having only seen him once up at Dingwall at that stage, the guy was a reminder of both Craig Levein and Andy Webster, it was like watching them playing when I watched Souttar. I also said if we looked after him, played him in his best position I felt he could bring to us more money then we got for Craig Gordon. After a shaky start against Celtic, he went on to play well in the opener, he was the MOTM by light years against Aberdeen, played well last week against ICT, when having a lot less to do and strolled through today's game. Only down side today was that he, like all others on the park, was finding it difficult to find colleagues with passes at times. But all in all he will go on to be a huge player for us.

Another solid game by the lad. However unlikely to get a gane for Scotland until he's about 30 or playing for the old firm.

Why? Paterson and Hamilton have been called up for Scotland squad.

Better than both Webster and Berra at this age. Maybe better than both of them at their peak.

Out of this current squad he'll get us the biggest fee - might not be for a season or two but he's worth a lot.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

That's a bold statement

Webby is the best centre half hearts have had in the last 10-15 years

Hope your right though

fabienleclerq

Most exciting young scottish centre half we have had since Alan Mclaren. We will sell few years down the line for a lot of money.

Probably slightly before my time but I always thought McLaren was a RB, did he always play CH?

kylelauren01

Was outstanding today and was the best defender on the pitch by a country mile. Gaining in experience and staying injury free will earn us a fortune. Looks to have a great temperament as well.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Going well for Greer so far. Blackburn bottom of the Championship with one point and 12 concessions. Strachan knows his football.

Excellent performance again today. One outstanding block in the first half and generally was well in control. A certainty for Scotland squad sooner rather than later

Unknown user

Hard to believe he's not even 20, yet he's keeping the club captain out of the team.

He really is an outstanding prospect

Buffalo Bill

Probably slightly before my time but I always thought McLaren was a RB, did he always play CH?

Started off as a right back, but Joe Jordan moved him into a central position alongside Craig Levein and Dave McPherson as part of a back five in 1991.

He then stayed in the sweeper role until 1994, captaining the team in 1992/93.

He was my man of match. Great clearances. Won everything. Knows how to pass and drive forward. Rossi was poor again would swap him and bring back ozturk (I'm a Rossi fan but been poor this season)

He struggled when he first started as it was a big move for him, he's young and inexperienced. But you can see why we paid money for him as Levein obviously sees a lot of himself in him.

I like when he uses his skill to bring the ball forward. He draws opposition midfielders to him and then makes a pass. He's certainly toughened up a bit lately and that's made him a much better player.

Looks like being our regular CH for a few years until we sell him for a great fee.

Has really benefitted from not having Ozturk along side him. He's totally bossing it. He talks the back 4 through everything they do. He reminds me so much of Elvis. You could hear Elvis screaming at everyone, from the strikers to his centre back partners. Ozturk is too rash and lacks the composer. That spreads through the back 4 and we lose our shape etc as he doesn't Marshall the back 4 as well as Souttar. At this moment I can't see Ozturk getting a game. What talent young Soutar is, a defo future Scotland centre back.

portobellojambo1

He was my man of match. Great clearances. Won everything. Knows how to pass and drive forward. Rossi was poor again would swap him and bring back ozturk (I'm a Rossi fan but been poor this season)

Think Rossi has done well at centre half and what we need is someone who will take responsibility when the ball is in the air and that is Ozturk's weakness. Nor sure what this new young Polish guy is like in the air but if he is strong in the air he may well end up being the mand that slots in next to Rossi going forward. Again a bit like both Levein and Webster, they were both decent in the air but were much better when the ball was on the ground and prefered to play what was effectively a sweeper type role. Souttar is very similar, let the centre half go for the ball in the air and take ownership of defending when the ball is on the ground.

Strapon doesn't have the baws to field youngsters so like a previous poster said wait til he is 30 or playing for the uglies

Hanley Greer and Martin it will be

Who wants to go to Russia anyway

Been great since Ozturk was dropped. He's much more comfortable on the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different class yesterday and carried Rossi through the game. The lad is fearless and great on the ball.

He will only keep getting better if we keep playing him. Potential to be better than Berra and Ritchie

Good in the air, makes well timed tackles and charges out the box and crosses the half way line with the ball to help us break quick.

Easy to get how young he is when he's playing so well. Important he's given a bit slack when things don't go well for him though.

Ok. I've been reluctant to say this, but felt it for a while now.

I think Souttar is going to be better than Levein.

Now get him tied to a Jim Mclean style 7 year contract please.

I'd have him in the Scotland squad now. Maybe another couple of good games for U21s will help.

But may have to wait till we're out of contention.

Ok. I've been reluctant to say this, but felt it for a while now.

I think Souttar is going to be better than Levein.

Now get him tied to a Jim Mclean style 7 year contract please.

I aint arguing just suggesting that perhaps the years have caused you to fail to recall properly just what a classy ball playing strong centre back Levein was pre injury. IMO he was probably the best natural centre half I have ever seen play for Hearts. We have had some good ones too. I hope you are right though and agree that Souttar should be made to sign a contract taking him up to his 39th birthday with a 15 million minimum release clause.  He is quality for one so young. 

I aint arguing just suggesting that perhaps the years have caused you to fail to recall properly just what a classy ball playing strong centre back Levein was pre injury. IMO he was probably the best natural centre half I have ever seen play for Hearts. We have had some good ones too. I hope you are right though and agree that Souttar should be made to sign a contract taking him up to his 39th birthday with a 15 million minimum release clause. He is quality for one so young.

Maybe I'm wrong and he stands out more because he is so far ahead of the rest, but Souttar seems to be improving weekly right now. The sky's the limit for this lad.

siegementality

I have no doubt he will begin to be a regular in Scotland squads very soon. Even WGS must see that it would be hugely beneficial for Souttar, Paterson, Cummings et al to spend some time in and around the full squad while they further establish themselves at club level.

A_A wehatethehibs

Still utterly sick at strachan for playing guys like Hanley and greer in those 4 friendlies we had before the euros. Such a sad opportunity missed.

We need to get Souttar a new extended deal as a matter of absolute top top priority.

And Souttar-Rossi is the first choice cb partnership.

132goals1958

I aint arguing just suggesting that perhaps the years have caused you to fail to recall properly just what a classy ball playing strong centre back Levein was pre injury. IMO he was probably the best natural centre half I have ever seen play for Hearts. We have had some good ones too. I hope you are right though and agree that Souttar should be made to sign a contract taking him up to his 39th birthday with a 15 million minimum release clause.  He is quality for one so young. 

Having watched Hearts since the early to mid 50,s Levein was our best central defender by the proverbial country mile. Only injury prevented him from having a star studded career down south. 

Archived