Can you imagine supporting any other club?

Craigieboy

Doctor FinnBarr

Thank you good sir. After downing some of it, I can tell you I travelled up for a couple of games in the early 90s with London Hearts and on the amazingly cheap group travel tickets you guys managed to sniff out in those days. I met Drew Goldie, Mark Hennessy and a good few others. Stuart Brodie was on one of the trips and after that I used to bump into him at Scotland & Hearts Away games all over the place as the 90s wore on. He went by the handle of Dodac in those days!

Dodac, now theres a blast from the past. He used to travel on the Bathgate bus with his brother Walter and their old man, that was when they stayed in Armadale.

Last time I seen him was at a party in his room after the game in Munich, think his minibar got tanned which cost him and his room mate a fortune in the morning. The room mate was the guy that went missing at some German service station on the bus trip home, Glasgow Hearts.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I can't. If Hearts ceased to exist then I'd have no interest in Scottish football. That's pretty simple. But, more interestingly, I've been away from Scotland for nearly two decades and during that time I've gone to watch various teams in various places I've lived: I've never properly got into any of them. When it comes to women, I'm a total slut; when it comes to football, I'm totally monogamous.

No, I can't. If Hearts ceased to exist then I'd have no interest in Scottish football. That's pretty simple. But, more interestingly, I've been away from Scotland for nearly two decades and during that time I've gone to watch various teams in various places I've lived: I've never properly got into any of them. When it comes to women, I'm a total slut; when it comes to football, I'm totally monogamous.

I've been living in Bath 15 years and only get to a couple of games a season. I've seen a few Bristol City games but because I feel no emotional attachment to them, I just couldn't give a hoot about the result.

I have a soft/very soft spot for Dunfermline. No idea why.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I lived up North, I always enjoyed travelling to East End Park. I also enjoyed going to the Elizabethan pre match. Found the Dunfy fans very hospitable. So in my book Dunfermline are ok.

Celtic and Rangers - no mark, generic, 'big club', sectarian filled bile with only glory hunting, small man syndromed arseholes as their supporters. 0/10.

Aberdeen - purple patch 80's, chino wearing, Man U supporting ****'s. 1/10 for sheer glory hunting ****ery.

Dundee - living in the past, playing second fiddle to their bigger neighbours. Dens Pk is a ****ing crumbling, derelict shithole and I'm amazed it even gets a safety certificate. Ugly ****'s anaw. 2/10.

Motherwell - They'd get a bye from criticism other than the fact that they're a complete non entity. Decent wee place to go for a game but imagine rocking up each week with 1.5k fellow ST holders in place. Depressing in every way. 2/10.

Kilmarnock - They have more hotel guests than fans. Priding themselves on pies and corporate facilities. The sort of stadium that gives people deep vein thrombosis. Shite. 3/10.

Inverness - fair play but they have around 863 fans. Should never be in the top flight. Embarrassing. 4/10.

St Johnstone - decent wee club but they beat Dundee Utd in a cup final so they can **** off. 6/10.

Partick Th - great wee club. Nothing but admiration for their supporters who have a choice. Pretty much free from critique. 9/10.

Ross Co - Another embarrassment. About 456 ST holders. Beat Hibs in a cup final but let's be honest, it's no hard. Good away trip but still - 4/10.

Hamilton - makes me wonder why I even bother with Scottish football. Pigeon shite running down the back of your neck. The least atmospheric ground in Scotland. Pish. Points for relegating Hibernian though. 5/10.

Heart of Midlothian - Completely unique in Scottish football. The grandest name in world football. The royal, regal colour of maroon sets them apart and distinguishes them from every top flight club. The club's home, hemmed in and uniquely placed in working class Gorgie. The history that is glorified with names like Walker, Bauld, McKay, Robertson, Skacel, to name only a few. The supporters, loyal in every way, leaving behind in their recent history the remarkable story of saving their club on an individual and collective basis. And not forgetting the undeniable dominance in local derbies over their entire history, culminating in destroying the risible shite in a never to be repeated Scottish cup final.

Call me bias ;).

But, I can't imagine supporting any other club.

<3

I used to live, breathe and sleep Hearts. I know they won yesterday but I don't actually know the score. I don't know where they are in the league or how many points they have. I started losing interest in season 11/12 and have drifted to the point of not caring at all. I don't really call myself a Hearts supporter anymore.

I used to live, breathe and sleep Hearts. I know they won yesterday but I don't actually know the score. I don't know where they are in the league or how many points they have. I started losing interest in season 11/12 and have drifted to the point of not caring at all. I don't really call myself a Hearts supporter anymore.

Why?

2-1.

Third with 7 points.

SwindonJambo

There are a few clubs around the World which attract non local fans for reasons other than glory hunting - West Ham & St Pauli of Hamburg to name but 2. We do too and not a few of them either. The dazzling name and being from the Capital may play a part. See the thread below, from the Classics Section. In my own case at least I'm a Scot, albeit from the West. We have supporters from elsewhere in the UK, the U.S. and Australia with either very distant or no Scots blood at all. Some are FoH subscribers.

Get this. Always a great and uplifting read. It started shortly after the CVA was agreed (just over 2 years ago,let's not forget!) and demonstrates the huge strength of feeling that still exists for the club, despite not having won its own national league for 56 years.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/142532-im-not-from-edinburgh-but-i-support-hearts-because/

heartandsoul

Hearts through and through. Always have and always will. Soft spot for Carlisle United. Had relations that lived in nearby Wigton. Been to Brunton Park. It's great standing on the terracing again and cup winning legend Danny Grainger is captain.

Always went Bradford City on FIFA/Football Manager and end up winning the Champions League. Became a bit attached to them and follow their results. Only support Hearts though.

feedtheroman2

Nope, can't imagine life without hearts and during the more turbulent years, faced with the thought of no club at all, I genuinely thought I would just give up football.

I'm local to Dunfermline though and let's face it, inoffensive and still retain a core set of diehard fans. I'd probably be a part time par.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hamilton. Great pitch,Great stadium, great fans, lovely place, good strip and they play attractive and fair football... Oh wait!!

Why?

I'm stubborn I guess. I found it hard to be interested in a league system that done it's best to parachute the countries newest club into the top league. I found it abhorrent enough that they even had a place in the 4th tier when those that fell before then weren't given such a chance. Add onto that the other member clubs failing to go any distance at all in trying to reshape the dire structure. The league size, the split. Deary me the split!

It's plain to see why there's no money in the Scottish game when I can't even invest time or interest in it. I even gave away my ticket for the 2012 Scottish cup final and I've never had an ounce of regret about it.

The game in Scotland is pretty much dead to me, it's not really about Hearts. They're victim of it because I can't stand the product that they're part of.

I'm stubborn I guess. I found it hard to be interested in a league system that done it's best to parachute the countries newest club into the top league. I found it abhorrent enough that they even had a place in the 4th tier when those that fell before then weren't given such a chance. Add onto that the other member clubs failing to go any distance at all in trying to reshape the dire structure. The league size, the split. Deary me the split!

It's plain to see why there's no money in the Scottish game when I can't even invest time or interest in it. I even gave away my ticket for the 2012 Scottish cup final and I've never had an ounce of regret about it.

The game in Scotland is pretty much dead to me, it's not really about Hearts. They're victim of it because I can't stand the product that they're part of.

Can't imagine ever feeling like that. 2012 was amazing.

N Lincs Jambo

Good thread! To answer the OP's question, in the 70s it would have been either Arbroath (old man played for them briefly in the 30s), or (shock horror) Celtic as my old man was a Tim (who took me to Tynie never to CP).

In the 80s developed a soft spot for Dundee Utd due to being at Uni there when they were taking on the top teams in Europe and hammering them.

In the 90s definitely Blackburn Rovers as I lived 5 mins from the ground for 10 years....

But to all that, not one of the above gets even 1% close to how I feel about the HMFC. Was born a Jambo and will die a Jambo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it wasn't hearts, it would be Rangers.

So even though you know all about them, their horrific sectarian culture and their vile songs, you can still imagine yourself supporting them?

So even though you know all about them, their horrific sectarian culture and their vile songs, you can still imagine yourself supporting them?

Yip, my family are all Hearts supporter's, all my mate's when I was younger were rangers, had my family not bothered about football I'd imagine I would have been a rangers fan, it's a long shot (thankfully) just answering the OP.

As a kid I don't think the sectarian element comes into it tbh, I still wouldn't know a sectarian song if you sang it in from of me, bar a few obvious ones, I'm sure there are loads.

Dagger Is Back

My story is not unique either. Most non elite clubs attract fans with no obvious connection but I genuinely believe we do more than most just on the sheer charm and atmosphere around the club. Look, for example at our 2 regular American posters, one of whom now lives locally and has a Season Ticket. There are definitely Jambos dotted around the West and not all with Edinburgh origins. You've got it spot on about 'getting my fix'. I'm looking at the fixture list and will probably manage an early Autumn trip up for my next 'fix'. The extra capacity the new stand will hopefully give us an opportunity to get some school kids on board. Can't wait to see it taging shape, planning permission permitting!

Yeah you're right. Through the ticket scheme we had donations from all over the world China, Australia, Canada, Africa, Europe. Quite amazing.

That's why this ground needs to be rammed every two weeks. The town is hooching with tourists and hopefully the new stand will give us an opportunity to get involved in the Fringe too as a venue.

That visitor market could be massive when you include stag weekends etc

The Ginger Jambo

My dad was a Hibs man and so was his side of the family. My mum became a hearts supporter at around 18 because she had a friend who'd taken her to a few games and she became hooked on it. Funny thing is her family background should see her back Motherwell. Luckily she helped me support Hearts and not have to suffer supporting them or 'Well..

Once you've been a jambo its hard to imagine being anything else but geographically for me possibly Falkirk , Vermin or Huns. So realistically Linlinlithgow Rose.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

Doctor FinnBarr

I work beside a Celtic fan who calls Hearts his 2nd team. Seems odd but his old man is a Jambo from the toon who married a lass from Coatbridge and moved there. Workmates uncle is the one to blame as he took him to Darkheid.

SwindonJambo

I work beside a Celtic fan who calls Hearts his 2nd team. Seems odd but his old man is a Jambo from the toon who married a lass from Coatbridge and moved there. Workmates uncle is the one to blame as he took him to Darkheid.

She must have been an absolutely top lass if he was prepared to move to Coatbridge to be with her! Proper rough arsed Lanarkshire bandit country, close to its very worst. Holytown, Craigneuk and Newarthill may actually trump it and that's saying something!

Doctor FinnBarr

She must have been an absolutely top lass if he was prepared to move to Coatbridge to be with her!

Oi, I'm originally from Coatbridge

Doctor FinnBarr
She must have been an absolutely top lass if he was prepared to move to Coatbridgr to be with her.]

Oh dear, what happened?

SwindonJambo

Oh dear, what happened?

No clue. I'm originally from Hamilton. My parents, who I visited earlier, came from Blantyre which, believe me is every inch the equal of anything in the county. It saddens me to see how horribly the county has gone downhill since the decline of heavy industry there. Both my grandfathers were miners in the Lanarkshire coalfield. Fantastic that you've picked Hearts in what is widely seen as a very Celtic town.

Doctor FinnBarr

No clue. I'm originally from Hamilton. My parents, who I visited earlier, came from Blantyre which, believe me is every inch the equal of anything in the county. It saddens me to see how horribly the county has gone downhill since the decline of heavy industry there. Both my grandfathers were miners in the Lanarkshire coalfield. Fantastic that you've picked Hearts in what is widely seen as a very Celtic town.

Apart from my first year I've stayed in Blackburn all my days, lol, still have cousins in Coatbridge, fickin huns

Should add that I had one grandfather who worked in steel in Motherwell and the other was a miner, walked to and from work all his working days, he stayed in Wishaw and his pit was in Allanton, good 5/6 miles

When Mercer, tried to do away with Hibs, to make an Edinburgh team ??? I said then I would support Meadowbank (Ithink, they were still that then ?) rather than a a basterdarisation of a Hearts team. S'pose the equivalent would be Edinburgh City these days.

I was chatting to a Hibs fan at weekend about how we ended up supporting our clubs.  He got taken to see Hibs v Real Madrid at a packed ER when he was young and he was hooked.  My choice was based on the fact my Grandfather (who died when I was 2) had been a Jambo and although there was no big football loyalty in the family it seemed right that I should follow his team.  From that day to this my loyalty to Hearts is cemented.  There is no other team.

maltese jambo

Musselburgh Athletic would gain my support if it were not for Hearts

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SwindonJambo

Apart from my first year I've stayed in Blackburn all my days, lol, still have cousins in Coatbridge, fickin huns

Should add that I had one grandfather who worked in steel in Motherwell and the other was a miner, walked to and from work all his working days, he stayed in Wishaw and his pit was in Allanton, good 5/6 miles

Walking distances like that to work every day was not unheard of. In all weathers too! They made them tough in those days and the county produced many top footballers then, several of whom played for Hearts. My paternal grandad, from Blantyre, worked down the pit there alongside one Jock Stein. My Uncle used to walk past his house every day.

The decline in the county's fortunes in the 70s and 80s was rapid and truly frightening. It has definitely shown some improvement in the last 15 years though and I applaud whoever's responsible for that. I hope that continues, though with the country's worsening public finances, that may be tricky. I might have a wee pot at the County every now and then but I can't help having a soft spot for it as I was born there and so too several previous generations. But it does have a grim Ned Culture, Sectarian Attitudes remain and it requires a certain type of person to be a Police Officer or Social Worker there!

As for footballing allegiances, apart from the odd 1-off affectionado like me, Hearts have traditionally attracted a fair few fans in the Southern part of the County - Lanark, Carstairs. In the 80s I used to see a Supporters' coach from nearby Carnwath. No idea why but it may even be to to with the late great Jambo John Cumming, who came from that area.

Stephane Grappelli

Never.  As the great Marvin Gaye once said-

"Too busy thinking 'bout the Jambos, and I ain't got time for nothing else."

If Hearts had never existed the majority, especially the Edinburgh based supporters, would be Hibs fans.

Yip, my family are all Hearts supporter's, all my mate's when I was younger were rangers, had my family not bothered about football I'd imagine I would have been a rangers fan, it's a long shot (thankfully) just answering the OP.

As a kid I don't think the sectarian element comes into it tbh, I still wouldn't know a sectarian song if you sang it in from of me, bar a few obvious ones, I'm sure there are loads.

A route I'm sure many have gone down. 

I had no one to take me to games when I was younger and followed the crowd but then my uncle started taking me early 00's and stuck my colours to the mast. Had that not have happened I'd have probably been the same as you.

Captain America

All my family is Rangers on both sides, my dad went to Albion Rovers games instead though.

We moved out of Coatbridge area when I was about 3, and then when I started getting interested in football, my dad says I could support anybody apart from Celtic/Rangers. 

Seen Robbo on the TV not long after and choose Hearts, best decision of my life. My dad is now big Hearts fan aswell.

Have a soft spot for Stirling Albion after going to Uni there.

I'm Man U as my second team  through my   half-brothers, they, in turn, are also Hearts  nowadays, and we swapped scarves years ago. 

They were brought up in Lancs, like  Corry Street setting,  I was brought up in Gorgie, and I WAS THE FORTUNATE ONE!    

I sometimes go to the Wasps ( Alloa) when we don't have a match. 

Dad took me to games when I was seven in 1986. That was it settled there and then. Long line of Jambos on Dad's side. Mum's side are from Granton and Newhaven. Her dad went game about Hearts and Hibs. If you pushed him, he'd probably have called himself a Hibs fan. All my Dad's side (uncles cousins etc) are Hearts still. Loads of Huns on my Mum's side, all of them from places out with Glasgow such as Falkirk, Inverness and Edinburgh... No idea how the Hun gene kicked in with them.

It's Hearts or nobody as far as I'm concerned, although I enjoy a wee annual jaunt down south to watch a game in England with my mate who lives down there, and that's always a good craic. I was at St Mary's on Saturday.

Doctor FinnBarr

Walking distances like that to work every day was not unheard of. In all weathers too! They made them tough in those days and the county produced many top footballers then, several of whom played for Hearts. My paternal grandad, from Blantyre, worked down the pit there alongside one Jock Stein. My Uncle used to walk past his house every day.

The decline in the county's fortunes in the 70s and 80s was rapid and truly frightening. It has definitely shown some improvement in the last 15 years though and I applaud whoever's responsible for that. I hope that continues, though with the country's worsening public finances, that may be tricky. I might have a wee pot at the County every now and then but I can't help having a soft spot for it as I was born there and so too several previous generations. But it does have a grim Ned Culture, Sectarian Attitudes remain and it requires a certain type of person to be a Police Officer or Social Worker there!

As for footballing allegiances, apart from the odd 1-off affectionado like me, Hearts have traditionally attracted a fair few fans in the Southern part of the County - Lanark, Carstairs. In the 80s I used to see a Supporters' coach from nearby Carnwath. No idea why but it may even be to to with the late great Jambo John Cumming, who came from that area.

Think it was the Clydesdale bus that picked up in Carnwath, think it originated in the Warders club at West End. 

Bazzas right boot

If Hearts had never existed the majority, especially the Edinburgh based supporters, would be Hibs fans.

Shhhhhh... Don't let that get out.

Think it was the Clydesdale bus that picked up in Carnwath, think it originated in the Warders club at West End. 

It was indeed Clydesdale(RIP) Hearts Supporters Club which originated not in The West End Club but in Carstairs Arms Hotel (aka The Five Star) we picked up in Forth Lanark Carstairs Carnwath etc and did indeed have members of Darkie Cumming's family on board

Doctor FinnBarr

It was indeed Clydesdale(RIP) Hearts Supporters Club which originated not in The West End Club but in Carstairs Arms Hotel (aka The Five Star) we picked up in Forth Lanark Carstairs Carnwath etc and did indeed have members of Darkie Cumming's family on board

Ah, ok. Knew a few guys from the West End that traveled on the bus.

Ah, ok. Knew a few guys from the West End that traveled on the bus.

did you workup at the state pen ? Gus Walker Jock Whitelaw Andy Newlands were all West End Jambos

If it wasn't Hearts it'd be Celtic.

Couldn't you just have admitted something less revolting, like being a sex offender?

Probably someone like St Johnstone for me.

Archived