Scotland's Game

Maroon Sailor

Utter shite. You have made up the loudspeaker, Mark Walters, bananas, never happened.

non

Yes it did,,,..I was there, every team envied Walters double shuffle......,.that's why we tried to stop him

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched it on iPlayer. That Ned at the end "the big house must stay open" :rofl: The Mercer takeover of Hibs brought back memories and hopefully put a few disagreements to bed after the Robbo clip.

Rudi-Robertson

Good post

Mercer was the best thing to happen to Hearts and he put his money where his mouth was.

He was the best thing to happen to Hibs. If he didn't give them the wake up call Tom Farmer would probably never have got involved. Although, don't let facts get in the way of a Hobo agenda

Maroon Sailor

He was the best thing to happen to Hibs. If he didn't give them the wake up call Tom Farmer would probably never have got involved. Although, don't let facts get in the way of a Hobo agenda

You are a fecking clown

SwindonJambo

non

Yes it did,,,..I was there, every team envied Walters double shuffle......,.that's why we tried to stop him

I was there too, in the Shed and can sadly confirm it most definitely did happen.. When Walters came down to take a corner there at the start of the 2nd half, I just knew what was coming. Bananas whistling past my ears by the bunch and bouncing on the grass. A proper toe curling embarassment it was and very bad publicity for the club. But, what is less well known is that the same thing happened at Septic Park 2 weeks previously and every inch to the same extent if not worse. Did the Weegia report it then? No of course not. Swept under the carpet with all the rest of their shameful issues.

I was there too, in the Shed and can sadly confirm it most definitely did happen.. When Walters came down to take a corner there at the start of the 2nd half, I just knew what was coming. Bananas whistling past my ears by the bunch and bouncing on the grass. A proper toe curling embarassment it was and very bad publicity for the club. But, what is less well known is that the same thing happened at Septic Park 2 weeks previously and every inch to the same extent if not worse. Did the Weegia report it then? No of course not. Swept under the carpet with all the rest of their shameful issues.

That is so true,,....walters was an awkward,effect flying winger, god bless him but, hearts, celts and hibs tried to stop him.........

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just watched this. It will be interesting to see how much opprobrium gets heaped on our Vlad next week.

Ricardo Quaresma

Some hibbys claim that the strips were going to be Black & White; that's what you were told pal :lol:

16gy2a9.png

i wish jj was my dad

Utter shite. You have made up the loudspeaker, Mark Walters, bananas, never happened.

There was a message from the chairman across the tannoy in response to the neanderthals but I don't think it was actually Wallace who spoke.  Something like 'this behaviour must cease immediately'.

Some hibbys claim that the strips were going to be Black & White; that's what you were told pal :lol:

16gy2a9.png

I heard the strips of the merged Edinburgh teams were to be, maroon tops, white shorts and maroon socks. Could be wrong though :laugh:

The original series 'Only a Game' (which sparked the introduction of Only an Excuse) was different class. A lot of the footage was repeated the other night.

Buffalo Bill

Lots of interesting snippets in that show, from Mo Johnston's jumper to the treatment of Fergus McCann.

David Murray though...what a banger.

Maroon Sailor

Thatcher having to meet the players in the line up before they got out on to the pitch

Maroon Sailor

What about boss eyed Fergus McCann's tache ?

FS bad enough his eyes in different postcodes

MacDonald Jardine

That annoys me to this day.

On Sportscene Archie McPherson chuckled about "an assortment of fruit" being thrown from the Parkhead Jungle.

Switch to Tynecastle and it was "sad" to see people throwing bananas.

That said it doesn't excuse the behaviour and Hearts were probably the most overtly racist support in Scotland for a couple of years at that time, largely because they were the only club of the four in Edinburgh/ Glasgow not to have a black player.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Footballfirst

That said it doesn't excuse the behaviour and Hearts were probably the most overtly racist support in Scotland for a couple of years at that time, largely because they were the only club of the four in Edinburgh/ Glasgow not to have a black player.

Mark Walters & Kenny Black? :whistling:

210988-skol-cup-semi-final-rangers-v-hea

What about boss eyed Fergus McCann's tache ?

FS bad enough his eyes in different postcodes

LOL

kawasakijambo

Souness....rangers could match man utd etc for transfer fees and wages...

Aye right.

Believe it or not, Alex Ferguson was getting paid more at Aberdeen  than Ron Atkinson when Man U sacked him. 

There are two things I took in particular from last night, being born in the 90's.

1. I would love to see a game from an rammed, old school terrace. I know safety and blah, blah, but it looks phenomenal. pure unbridled carnage!

2. When sectarianism was mentioned, it always seemed to be in 'scottish society'. To me, that seems bizarre. I don't know if it back in the 80's & 90's it was country wide, as all I've known (mostly) is it to be a problem limited to one city and two football clubs. perhaps i'm being cynical but it seemed very much, "everyone does it so don't put too much blame on the OF."

Have you ever set foot in Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire, Fife, Oban, Inverness, Easter Ross, the Hebrides, West Lothian or Midlothian?

Just asking like

SaughtonJambo

Can anyone remember the name of the documentary about Vlad a few years back sure it was bbc and it had him looking through folders at Brazilian players and all sorts

William H. Bonney

Can anyone remember the name of the documentary about Vlad a few years back sure it was bbc and it had him looking through folders at Brazilian players and all sorts

Rogue traders.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Can't remember the name but it was bloody hilarious. It was the one with the weeping Bosnian grannies! :laugh:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I hope Budge goes on to match Vlad's two cup wins and Champions League qualification, instead of being our version of Fergus McCann.

N Lincs Jambo

That's what I was thinking. I was at that game and can't remember any involvement from WM about the whole bananas thing. Tbh I wish he had done as that has to be about the cringiest thing I have ever seen in all my years watching Hearts. Btw before anyone else says it, the next most cringy thing was the fact that at least 3 skip loads of bananas were thrown at him the previous week by Celtic fans at the OF derby but not a peep from the Beeb. Archie McPherson waits until our Neanderthals follow suit before raising the issue...

Maroon Sailor

The banana throwing at Parkhead was swept under the carpet and I remember reading Scott Nisbet telling Walters if he thought that was bad, wait until you go to Tynecastle.

Can't remember any loudspeaker announcement but remember a banana throwing Jambo hand his season ticket in as he was that ashamed of himself.

I hope Budge goes on to match Vlad's two cup wins and Champions League qualification, instead of being our version of Fergus McCann.

I'd prefer her to match McCann and win the SPFL. And not go bust.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd prefer her to match McCann and win the SPFL. And not go bust.

That would be nice. Unrealistic but nice.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

That's what I was thinking. I was at that game and can't remember any involvement from WM about the whole bananas thing. Tbh I wish he had done as that has to be about the cringiest thing I have ever seen in all my years watching Hearts. Btw before anyone else says it, the next most cringy thing was the fact that at least 3 skip loads of bananas were thrown at him the previous week by Celtic fans at the OF derby but not a peep from the Beeb. Archie McPherson waits until our Neanderthals follow suit before raising the issue...

I can't remember WM coming out, either. Although I was in the stand, He did have a megaphone a few years earlier, when there was fighting in the shed IIRC.

N Lincs Jambo

I can't remember WM coming out, either. Although I was in the stand, He did have a megaphone a few years earlier, fighting in the shed IIRC.

Motherwell game 1981-82. Last game of the season. We had to win to get promotion. Motherwell had already won the league but beat us 1-0. The atmosphere in the shed that day was pretty poisonous, not in a sectarian way but just it felt like we knew we wouldn't win and it just kept on kicking off. Waldo came round and tried in vain to reason with the Shed crowd but it's fair to say he didn't succeed.

Maroon Sailor

Motherwell game 1981-82. Last game of the season. We had to win to get promotion. Motherwell had already won the league but beat us 1-0. The atmosphere in the shed that day was pretty poisonous, not in a sectarian way but just it felt like we knew we wouldn't win and it just kept on kicking off. Waldo came round and tried in vain to reason with the Shed crowd but it's fair to say he didn't succeed.

Didn't help Kilmarnock beating Queen of the South 6-0 that day meaning a draw would have been no good either as they bettered our goal difference with that scoreline

Lot of aggro after the match

SaughtonJambo

Can't remember the name but it was bloody hilarious. It was the one with the weeping Bosnian grannies! :laugh:

Found it on YouTube "Romanov King of hearts 06" watching it back its crazy the amount of stuff that was going on at the time would love a book to come out with all the behind the scenes stories. Vlad might have had a folder with 2000 Brazilian players but the only Brazilian we ended up with was Camazolla

Have you ever set foot in Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire, Fife, Oban, Inverness, Easter Ross, the Hebrides, West Lothian or Midlothian?

Just asking like

Speaking as a West Lothian lad, I can confirm that sectarianism was not merely confined to one city.  Far from it.  if it were, I would suggest the same number of busses would not make the journeys to Glasgow from throughout Scotland on a regular basis to 'support' their chosen team.

maroonlegions

The 80s and 90s supporting Hearts and attending home and away matches was utter fecking bedlam.. i was there .. the one game i will never forget was the Wallace Mercer derby, the boy who ran on the pitch to confront the tramp who tried to assault  Robbo after he scored was one of my mates in our group.

What a fecking day that was, from the morning of that match meeting up with everyone , heading down to pubs then along London Road. The game its self was a powder keg.  the first half i will never forget, pure  and utter joy as the 3 goals hit the back of the vermin net.   FTH.

:arry:  :fth:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We've had that on this board

I don't have time to read every post on every thread, sorry

kingantti1874

Jungle John :rofl:

Still after all these years they haven't quite grasped that the primary issue with Lennon is he's a twat..

Sorry but this is a disgrace of a programme. Glorify the beasts from Glasgow.

Not sure 'glorify' is the right word they've shown them to be cretins in the main, a massive part of Scottish football but still cretins.

Archived