Scotland's Game

Maroon Sailor

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back on the hands off hibs campaign. Many hearts fans supported it! Look at the way the hibs' fans attitude towards our own near extinction a few years ago, really does show the differences between the two sets of supporters

mickycameron98

What did that derby game finish that the police asked us to stop scoring at half time? Too early for me!

Brilliant watching police doing their job and wading into Hibs fans.

Its been a good program....that miss from Hans Eskilsson.

Malinga the Swinga

40 minutes in and utter pish. Instead of wasting money on this drivel, why not conduct an investigation into the far more relevant Rangers/New Rangers scandal and the part that Mr King played in its downfall. That would of course, entail BBC Scotland journalists actually performing some investigative journalism and obviously they prefer to sit back and just show old film from 30/40 years ago.

What a waste of whatever little money this cost.

Bazzas right boot

Looking back on the hands off hibs campaign. Many hearts fans supported it! Look at the way the hibs' fans attitude towards our own near extinction a few years ago, really does show the differences between the two sets of supporters

Some of them were a holes during our time, but the situation was different.

Hearts and Hibs were in danger of both being wiped out and replaced with a Edinburgh UTD / City type team.

Doesn't excuse thier ( some) behaviour, but the comparison isn't like for like.

Malinga the Swinga

This is simply regugerating old news. What exactly is the point of it? What have we learned? Let's spend the best part of an hour telling everyone how Rangers and Celtic are brilliant. Just utter shite.

Maroon Sailor

This is simply regugerating old news. What exactly is the point of it? What have we learned? Let's spend the best part of an hour telling everyone how Rangers and Celtic are brilliant. Just utter shite.

Switch it off

mickycameron98

Can anyone remember what Mo Johnston was like in his season for us? Prolific every other club he went to but goals dried up a lot when he joined us.

Maroon Sailor

Rangers players getting sucked in to singing Dundee, Hamilton, feck the pope and the Vatican

Souness....rangers could match man utd etc for transfer fees and wages...

Aye right.

At that time they could...& they did. Shitehawks that they were.

Maroon Sailor

Can anyone remember what Mo Johnston was like in his season for us? Prolific every other club he went to but goals dried up a lot when he joined us.

Still had class but his best days were well behind him

So Rangers signing Mo Johnston "broke down the social barriers in Scottish society". I've heard it all now!!

Malinga the Swinga

Switch it off

No, because then, I won't be able to comment on it. We have had loads of programmes about Souness and Rangers, McCann and Celtic. This has taught us nothing. Did I just hear that Sir David Murray bankrolled success. No he did not, the general,public, through dealings with BofS, financed this.

Spare us this pish, just concentrate on the last 6/7 years.

Malinga the Swinga

So Rangers signing Mo Johnston "broke down the social barriers in Scottish society". I've heard it all now!!

This is what the BBC and Rangers would like you to believe. It is a whitewash and is garbage.

It may be that they will deal with finances in later episodes, but this one has been garbage. You can bet Romanov will come in for far more criticism than Sir David.

Maroon Sailor

Next week

" Morale understandably is not good and there is Significant unrest within the dressing room "

Yip, Rangers saved Scotland.. And even trying to justify the knuckle draggers with in that deed club..

Ibrahim Tall

That David Murray seems a good chap based on the programme, don't think I heard a bad word all programme. Funny that.

Bowmans_Boot

Hearts and Hibs were in danger of both being wiped out and replaced with a Edinburgh UTD / City type team.

I went to a shareholders meeting at that time and Wallace Mercer said, "the badge won't change, the colours won't change and the name won't change."

I thought it was quite good. Love the old footage of tynie & Robbo! It was obviously going to be more about the ugly sisters.

Looks like next week we'll see alot more of Hearts & Vlad. And Gretna. Should be interesting.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Maroon Sailor

I thought it was quite good. Love the old footage of tynie & Robbo! It was obviously going to be more about the ugly sisters.

Looks like next week we'll see alot more of Hearts & Vlad. And Gretna. Should be interesting.

Didn't Vlad pay for people's silence ?

Governor Tarkin

Malinga, has somebody shat in your dinner this evening?

Don't have you pegged as one of kickbacks serial whinging tossers. :(

I quite enjoyed that.

Didn't Vlad pay for people's silence ?

I've no idea. Which people?

Next week will feature Ann and her opinion of Vlad.

Well worth a watch but the watered down shite about the sectarian issue was sickening.

It's as big as it's ever been, admittedly in part due to the proliferation of social media.

Still.

:rolleyes:

Bowmans_Boot

Malinga, has somebody shat in your dinner this evening?

Don't have you pegged as one of kickbacks serial whinging tossers. :(

I quite enjoyed that.

I agree, I enjoyed it and it wasn't overly complimentary of the OF.

The programme missed the main reason Scottish football began to struggle.

Scottish banks being taken over by international companies who started to ask why all these insolvent football clubs had been given massive overdrafts and started calling the debts in.

That was more important than thatcher and the fall of industries.

Oh and one more point..why didn't souness get a Nobel peace prize, he came out of that hour a saint.

Ibrahim Tall

Scottish banks being taken over by international companies who started to ask why all these insolvent football clubs had been given massive overdrafts and started calling the debts in.

Oh and one more point..why didn't souness get a Nobel peace prize, he came out of that hour a saint.

Are you blaming the international companies or the Scottish banks?

New weekly show on BBC 2 now ..of course it is on the English game but good interview with Klopp on just now

Despite the public image you can see there is a hard edge to him

i wish jj was my dad

Souness....rangers could match man utd etc for transfer fees and wages...

Aye right.

They were paying quite a bit more than Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton IIRC who were the biggest clubs down south at the time.  At the time only Man U had bigger gates and tv money was negligible.  

TBF I think that the programme missed a trick by not emphasising just how successful Scottish football was pre Souness.  I also think that our revival in the 80s was underplayed.  Some of the crowds we were taking away from home were absolutely incredible.

SwindonJambo

Rangers players getting sucked in to singing Dundee, Hamilton, feck the pope and the Vatican

Yes, I noticed that. With seemingly the whole dressing room joining in. The usual boneheads like John Brown, you'd expect. But Richard Gough & Terry Butcher really ought to have known better. Just shows how inbred their poisonous bile was (and still is). The club of choice for Neanderthal Cavemen.

Frank Sidebottom

But the underlying problem was the clubs overspending in the first place. Doesn't really matter who or what caused it come to light.

i wish jj was my dad

New weekly show on BBC 2 now ..of course it is on the English game but good interview with Klopp on just now

Despite the public image you can see there is a hard edge to him

Just what we need.  More licence money promoting English football when they pay us buttons.  Would be interesting if this was covered in next week's instalment. 

Are you blaming the international companies or the Scottish banks?

I think the little banks on the street were scared of the backlash from fans. That changed and the new era of banking led to Dundee, Mwell going into admin to start with, many others followed.

It was the clubs fault of course, but they took the banks support for granted. Murray was the worst example for this.

Footballfirst

The programme has only got to 1998 so far.  Most of the money problems, tax dodges and the bankers influence came after that date.

Dont let history be rewritten.

That was no merger it was to be a complete takeover. The only parts of Hibernian that would that would have survived would have been the FC in the name and the white shorts.

Why do you think it was only the Hibs fans protesting violently ?  Sure some Hearts fans including myself didn't want it to happen either but it was to be a hostile takeover.

Watching media types patting Rangers on the back for signing a catholic, embarrassing. Only 20 odd years ago remember.

Watching Scottish football "legends" singing FTP and the Billy boys whilst chick dung smiles and laughs away. Embarrassing. Only 20 odd years ago remember.

Celtic being saved and them announcing on the stairs "the rebels have won", embarrassing. Only 20 odd years ago remember.

All the program done was highlight how little our media actually do to challenge the sectarian problems this country has. Most of the journos we have, to this day, will have made their names in the late 80's early 90's so won't highlight anything as they will all be culpable.

Maroon Sailor

But the underlying problem was the clubs overspending in the first place. Doesn't really matter who or what caused it come to light.

Souness started it - he has always been money orientated

i wish jj was my dad

Yes, I noticed that. With seemingly the whole dressing room joining in. The usual boneheads like John Brown, you'd expect. But Richard Gough & Terry Butcher really ought to have known better. Just shows how inbred their poisonous bile was (and still is). The club of choice for Neanderthal Cavemen.

Andy Goram turned into the reasoned and balanced individual he is today as a consequence of Wattie's dressing room.  I'm sure the old traitor is very proud creating that type of spirit amongst his boys.

It was quite good but it was disappointing to have to suffer seeing the scumbag Walter Smith talking with pride about Rangers spending. Murray's activities will be covered in the next one.

i wish jj was my dad

Watching media types patting Rangers on the back for signing a catholic, embarrassing. Only 20 odd years ago remember.

Watching Scottish football "legends" singing FTP and the Billy boys whilst chick dung smiles and laughs away. Embarrassing. Only 20 odd years ago remember.

Celtic being saved and them announcing on the stairs "the rebels have won", embarrassing. Only 20 odd years ago remember.

All the program done was highlight how little our media actually do to challenge the sectarian problems this country has. Most of the journos we have, to this day, will have made their names in the late 80's early 90's so won't highlight anything as they will all be culpable.

Funny, my 16 year old daughter pretty much picked up on all of these points. 

You've got to ask why the BBC would give Traynor a platform? He really must be the most discredited laptop loyal of them all.

Maroon Sailor

What about the Rangers fan in the pub ?

" I'll never go to Ibrox again "

" Why ? "

" Cos they signed a Catholic " !

Very much as others have said re the Mercer takeover. The resultant club from that deal would have been Heart of Midlothian. Nothing else.

Malinga the Swinga

Again, did anyone learn anything from that, other than Rangers saved Scottish society from sectarianism? All of this has been shown before, save perhaps from Rangers players singing party songs.mthere was no new dynamic point to the story, there were no earth shattering points of view, just the same old hacks and voices we have heard before such as Souness, McCann, Smith, McPherson, English and many others who have told their stories 100's of times in the past.

For a chanel that is in dispute with Rangers, they don't half play down their bigoted past. We shall see what they say about the current mob that play out of Ibrox and maintain their predecessors bigoted and sectarian views.

Why would mercer have bought hibs just to keep the same fan base and lose 15k potential Edinburgh football fans?

Common sense tells you it would have become Edinburgh Utd in time.

It was a ridiculous idea and would have robbed both sets of fans of their clubs.

That is why many hearts fans were against it. Mercer was never as popular after it and his leaving was a relief in the end.

He saved our club but got too close to Murray. Hearts history has been kind to him though.

No doubt they will whitewash over the fact Rangers are a new club.

Just another BBC documentey on Scottish football pandering to the two Glasgow teams.

Archived