Greg Stewart

Big Bruno

Paul Hartley today saying Dundee could lose him as well. Do you think there's a possibility we could be in for him or afford him? A left footed creative player is what we need.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael_Jackson

I'd certainly like to have a right go at getting him. He's exactly what we need.

I would be very happy if we sold Callum and went after someone with the creativity of Stewart who also knows this league. I think Smith is a very promising young right back and we also have Souttar with management clearly keen to add another centre back.

Stewart would add another dimension to our attacking play and would be a very exciting signing.

Michael_Jackson

They've been asking over 1m for him so I doubt very much he's coming to us.

Under a year left on his contract and with Dundee's financial situation I predict he will go for about 300k.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

English Championship paying wages we couldn't get close to is my bet

The more pertinent question is:

"If we do not sign him, should we all be ****ing seething about it?"

We are not in the financial position to cherry pick the best players from other Premiership sides yet. Once we get the new stand up and can pay wages similar to English Championship sides I think this will change.

"If we do not sign him, should we all be ******* seething about it?"

No:

The fact of the matter is that if we don't sign him half of JKB will be seething about this...

Sorry 49% of jkb...

The Internet

I'm not a big fan of his, definitely would have preferred Hemmings if we were signing one or the other.

Gene Parmesan

Hope he waits and joins us under freedom of contract next season.

Michael_Jackson

"If we do not sign him, should we all be ******* seething about it?"

It's certainly shows a real lack of intent if we are not trying to sign the best players we can in our league as happens at every single other league in the world.

Whether Stewart is affordable or not is a completely different question. However gambling on cheap foreign imports generally fails far more than it succeeds.

You have to speculate to accumulate.There is very clearly a gap in the Scottish game for a club to take from the pishy small clubs like Dundee, give the players a decent contract, coach them well and then sell on for sizeable seven figure fees to the land of milk and honey down south.

It's certainly shows a real lack of intent if we are not trying to sign the best players we can in our league as happens at every single other league in the world.

Whether Stewart is affordable or not is a completely different question. However gambling on cheap foreign imports generally fails far more than it succeeds.

You have to speculate to accumulate.There is very clearly a gap in the Scottish game for a club to take from the pishy small clubs like Dundee, give the players a decent contract, coach them well and then sell on for sizeable seven figure fees to the land of milk and honey down south.

You could say that's exactly what Dundee have done with Stewart since signing him.

The problem we have is that by the time a player's reached Stewart's level of consistency in the Premiership, someone in the English Championship will often be interested, and we're not going to be able to compete with them financially.

FWIW I would love us to sign him, but can't see it happening.

Hemmings had a low release fee that obviously wasn't broadcast so I would say worth putting a ?300-?400k bid in and seeing what happens

Nut, that's bullshit IMO. Getting all testicle over moustache about one team nabbing a player from another team that we have not expressed any interest in is about as productive as selling flappy feet to ducks.

Money.

Get it. Money. Affordability.

Money. Cash.

?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Agents speak. We would know if he was in the ball park or not. I suspect not with the Championship interested

siegementality

Money.

Money. Cash.

?

So what is our current financial position?

Rangers or Championship at a guess.

I don't think Stewart will play second fiddle to RVP to be fair...

So what is our current financial position?

Comfortable - if we don't go spending on players.

That's my guess.

siegementality

Comfortable - if we don't go spending on players.

That's my guess.

Well thankfully we are spending our money wisely and we're not stupid enough to be handing out three year deals to average journeymen players :-)

I don't think Stewart will play second fiddle to RVP to be fair...

He's talked up a Rangers move and I think that's where he'll end up.

Michael_Jackson

Money.

Money. Cash.

?

I'm not sure my post warranted such a condecending reply.

Our financial health must be the best it has ever been at anytime in our history. I keep being told about our record season ticket sales etc etc etc

I understand the need for living within our means, however I refuse to believe paying ?100-300k for the right player once a season is out with the reach of this football club with the backing it has been given from us.

Michael_Jackson

Well thankfully we are spending our money wisely and we're not stupid enough to be handing out three year deals to average journeymen players :-)

Cracking point.

Our financial health must be the best it has ever been at anytime in our history. I keep being told about our record season ticket sales etc etc etc

I understand the need for living within our means, however I refuse to believe paying ?100-300k for the right player once a season is out with the reach of this football club with the backing it has been given from us.

Financial health doesn't equal affordability.

Our highest transfer fee for a player was under the regime that bust us.

Our highest weekly wage was under the regime that bust us.

That's the pattern mate.

We can't afford top performing SPL players under contract. You need to let that sink in.

I'm not a big fan of his, definitely would have preferred Hemmings if we were signing one or the other.

Im the same, don't get the hype really?

We are completely renovating our stadium to the tune of a huge new stand, greater facilities and an improvement on what exists already... I mean seriously, do you not think we are doing a pretty good job of balancing the success of the first team and the building of the club's future?

300k is like 5% of the overall cost of the stadium works is it not? :unsure:

Harvey Specter

I'd imagine we'd be priced out of this one. 

Dundee could really struggle this season after losing Hemmings and now potentially Stewart. I don't think they'll finish bottom but they could find themselves dragged into a playoff battle.

Ibrahim Tall

We are not in the financial position to cherry pick the best players from other Premiership sides yet. Once we get the new stand up and can pay wages similar to English Championship sides I think this will change.

We'll pay wages similar to the English Championship? How big is the new stand 50,000?

Michael_Jackson

Financial health doesn't equal affordability.

Our highest transfer fee for a player was under the regime that bust us.

Our highest weekly wage was under the regime that bust us.

That's the pattern mate.

We can't afford top performing SPL players under contract. You need to let that sink in.

I've not once condoned or suggested we return to the levels of expenditure seen under Romanov.

There is a huge difference between uncontrolled spending with no thought on sustainability and controlled and targeted investment.

As much as it is imperative to replace he main stand, it's as equally important to have a good product on the park, or at least one that wins!

Taking the support of the fans for granted is a risky endeavour, a bad start to the season will see the fans turn on the management team and hen the new stand won't matter a toss.

Jack Kelly's Hands

He's the type of player you take a punt on if he's on a free. Same with Hemmings.

Michael_Jackson

He's the type of player you take a punt on if he's on a free. Same with Hemmings.

Players to take a punt on :lol: 30 goals and 15 assists between them for Dundee.

I'm all for people disagreeing, that's life. However your just talking pish.

They may do it with Stewart. We've just done it with a cheap foreign import in Sow. Or Stewart may sign a pre-contract for someone and leave for nothing at the end of the season. There's always the chance a player you sign comes good and is willing to move before the end of their contract for a fee rather than run down their contract. It's more the exception than the rule though so I wouldn't base a strategy around it.

Dundee Utd made a lot of money recently by selling players under contract, but look where it got them when.

By the way, I think Romanov proved conclusively that speculating to accumulate is a very risky strategy. We didn't even get very many good fees for our best players, never mind the ones who turned out to be not very good.

maroonnicky63

Hemmings had a low release fee that obviously wasn't broadcast so I would say worth putting a ?300-?400k bid in and seeing what happens

Hearts will not pay that for a player , have you been watching what has been going on last season ans the start of this, no chance

I've not once condoned or suggested we return to the levels of expenditure seen under Romanov.

There is a huge difference between uncontrolled spending with no thought on sustainability and controlled and targeted investment.

As much as it is imperative to replace he main stand, it's as equally important to have a good product on the park, or at least one that wins!

Taking the support of the fans for granted is a risky endeavour, a bad start to the season will see the fans turn on the management team and hen the new stand won't matter a toss.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But we can't afford to buy the best SPL players at this time.

Maybe the Championship ones like we did with Cameron for example.

fabienleclerq

not a hope in hell we wont spend money

We've spent money on players under this regime, we wont spend what we can't afford which is had to argue with.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But we can't afford to buy the best SPL players at this time.

Maybe the Championship ones like we did with Cameron for example.

Agree with this, we are sound financialy but spending six figure fees will be few and far between until the new stsnd is up and we see where we lie. Though Cameron came from Raith when we were both PL, best 400k ever, Hartley was 1st Division though, St Johnston i think.

Horatio Caine

He's not coming to us.

Hemmings may come to us after a disappointing season with Oxford.

Pants Shaton

People saying 'speculate to accumulate' presumably either too young or too stupid to remember us spunking the SMG money.

Michael_Jackson

They may do it with Stewart. We've just done it with a cheap foreign import in Sow. Or Stewart may sign a pre-contract for someone and leave for nothing at the end of the season. There's always the chance a player you sign comes good and is willing to move before the end of their contract for a fee rather than run down their contract. It's more the exception than the rule though so I wouldn't base a strategy around it.

Dundee Utd made a lot of money recently by selling players under contract, but look where it got them when.

By the way, I think Romanov proved conclusively that speculating to accumulate is a very risky strategy. We didn't even get very many good fees for our best players, never mind the ones who turned out to be not very good.

I wouldn't call Sow a cheap foreign import. He came from Crystal Palace and was reportedly the top earner at the club.

Again back to Romanov - lets be fundamentally clear, I am not advocating the Romanov model/strategy ( did he even have a strategy?)

Investing wisely and within a framework certainly works well, as any Southampton fan would be able to confirm.

Michael_Jackson

People saying 'speculate to accumulate' presumably either too young or too stupid to remember us spunking the SMG money.

And people not advocating sensible investment have no understanding of growth.

Again, there is a difference between controlled sensible spending and 'spunking' money on inflated transfer fees.

A good example of sensible investment would be Kenny McLean for ?300k.

Hearts will not pay that for a player , have you been watching what has been going on last season ans the start of this, no chance

Never said we would, just that I think it would be worthwhile trying it and at that kind of price he'd be value for money IMO. Sadly though you're correct it's unlikely we will be spending anywhere near that on players in the near future.

Jack Kelly's Hands

Players to take a punt on :lol: 30 goals and 15 assists between them for Dundee.

I'm all for people disagreeing, that's life. However your just talking pish.

Nah, he's a decent player that's had a couple of good seasons at Dundee. I wouldn't be rushing to spend ?300k - ?500k on him plus wages. Big money for us and no guarantee of success. I'd rather we focused on developing Walker and Nicholson.

I remember getting excited reading about thisin the papers at the time and then... Petric  :sad3:

Rangers or Championship at a guess.

Rangers seemingly were keen on Hemmings before Oxford did the deal. Hemmings doesn't move particularly gracefully. Looks like he carries a limp.

I've not seen much of Stewart tbh. In the 1-1 draw at Tynecastle last season he was imo the best player on the park by a distance.

I'm on the view that we should be looking to pay a fee in the right circumstances of c. ?300K to ?500K for the right player. The problem is that type of player in Scotland us likely to be coveted by teams who can offer far superior terms

There will be the odd Kenny McLean / John Souttar type deal to be done but they will be infrequent in Scotland out with OF

Archived