Hearts should announce season objectives

Kim490

Unknown user

Win the league and all the cups.

Simples.

Yeah exactly, win every game by several goals while conceding none, sell out every game and set records for marketing, sponsorship and merchandise income.

No worries Mrs B, I've got this one covered

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the start of the league campaign pretty soon and it's about time someone from the club gave us a ball park of this seasons expectations. I know clubs are normally pretty coy about this kind of thing, however Hearts supporters contribute massively to our club and with that brings extra responsibility from our club.

There is clearly disharmony at this time amongst the support over the way the footballing side is being managed, so the club could help pull is all together by giving us direction here. Our owner has been public on lots of good stuff, she therfore must not shy away from commenting on what the goals are for the crucial football side.

The 3rd biggest club in the country must have expections of success and failure.

Sounds like a dream of an idea which I assume you have acquired from other clubs' websites as every other club details their ball park expectations.  If that's the case just log on to each of the other SPL websites and by a process of elimination you'll be able to work out where we are expected to finish.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Is the start of the league campaign pretty soon and it's about time someone from the club gave us a ball park of this seasons expectations. I know clubs are normally pretty coy about this kind of thing, however Hearts supporters contribute massively to our club and with that brings extra responsibility from our club.

There is clearly disharmony at this time amongst the support over the way the footballing side is being managed, so the club could help pull is all together by giving us direction here. Our owner has been public on lots of good stuff, she therfore must not shy away from commenting on what the goals are for the crucial football side.

The 3rd biggest club in the country must have expections of success and failure.

No club in their right minds comes out with stated objectives.

But the papers are free to ask Robbie what his aims are. Would be interested to hear what they are.

No is my answer. And i'd be pissed off if the Club did come out with some specific 'target'.

As mentioned here before giving a specific target its just presenting a public stick with which to beat ourselves with if not achieved.

Undue public pressure from Media.

Setting us up for a humiliating fall.

Achieve it and the success just gets passed off as whats expected.

Also, can you imagine the arguments on here about whether the target is good enough and what it means. God almighty I dont think I could log on here with that debate just now.

If I were manager I'd publicly declare that we're in it to win it but progression is important. End of.

If there is indeed a 5 year plan, each year will have clearly defined objectives already.

That being the case, I would think that we're well ahead of the original objectives but anything less than 3rd in the league would stop the "progress" chat.

If we finished 4th it wouldn't be a disaster.

What would be a disaster is going into the new season playing hoofball.

If we play to our strengths and worry less about the opposition, we will have an attractive team to watch and who will finish no lower than 3rd.

That's just my opinion on what I think our squad is capable of.

I'm not buying this young team bullshit from our management anymore. I feel like they blurt out this line every time we lose to teams like a Hamilton or an Inverness. The only inexperienced player who will be a guaranteed starter is Jack Hamilton.

Time for everyone to start raising standards and have some pride in their performances, because if our Euro performances are anything to go by, our players look happy to wait on things happening instead of going out there and making it happen.

Defining season for everyone involved at Hearts this year.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If there is indeed a 5 year plan, each year will have clearly defined objectives already.

That being the case, I would think that we're well ahead of the original objectives but anything less than 3rd in the league would stop the "progress" chat.

Surely progress has to be measured over a 3/5 year period? If we finish 4th next yeay but 2nd the following year, you'd say that we aren;t making progress?

It's a funny old game and injuries or refereeing decisions can obviously affect our league position, as well as how far we go in other cups.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If we finished 4th it wouldn't be a disaster.

What would be a disaster is going into the new season playing hoofball.

If we play to our strengths and worry less about the opposition, we will have an attractive team to watch and who will finish no lower than 3rd.

That's just my opinion on what I think our squad is capable of.

I'm not buying this young team bullshit from our management anymore. I feel like they blurt out this line every time we lose to teams like a Hamilton or an Inverness. The only inexperienced player who will be a guaranteed starter is Jack Hamilton.

Time for everyone to start raising standards and have some pride in their performances, because if our Euro performances are anything to go by, our players look happy to wait on things happening instead of going out there and making it happen.

Defining season for everyone involved at Hearts this year.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Crossover I would say. We have come back from the brink propped up our finances we now need to cement the club as no worse than top 4. Aberdeen had a good start on us to narrow that gap so quickly I know has surprised and worried Aberdeen fans who thought we had gone. The challenge is to go past, the complication the renovation.

Last seasons bore for fans should not be confused with the roaring business success.

This season we should loosen the hand brake to entertain with good financial results and the FoH behind us.

If we fail to improve on last term then it should be in the right manner. Last year was incredibly important to secure as high a position as possible though it wasn't pretty it has provided a platform to move further forward

Absolutely Great idea let's give everybody a target to beat us to death with,where the hell did that daft idea come from.

In pretty sure you will find most of us, not at school, have targets or objectives to achieve a part of our day to day life and Hearts are no different. If a player doesn't cut it, he gets moved on. If a manager doesn't meet expectations, he gets sacked or a big bonus if he does well.

As I said, if supporters are required to help move our club forward, their involvement can't be taken for granted.

Why does a target create something to beat us to death with. It simply allows judgments to be made on the footballing and management side.

Why is anyone against having something definitive to measure our club and expectations against.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

In pretty sure you will find most of us, not at school, have targets or objectives to achieve a part of our day to day life and Hearts are no different. If a player doesn't cut it, he gets moved on. If a manager doesn't meet expectations, he gets sacked or a big bonus if he does well.

As I said, if supporters are required to help move our club forward, their involvement can't be taken for granted.

Why does a target create something to beat us to death with. It simply allows judgments to be made on the footballing and management side.

Why is anyone against having something definitive to measure our club and expectations against.

I don't have opponents at work for starters. I am solely responsible for my performance.

I see what you are looking for but is it practical or wise.

Not a relation of Jambo John are you think he was the last to ask for this.

Football just to subjective I think

Absolutely Great idea let's give everybody a target to beat us to death with,where the hell did that daft idea come from.

At a guess, it came from an old poster with a new name.

TheMaganator

Our objectives, whether these are made official or not are, imo, to make sure we finish top 6. Any European football or cup run will be a bonus. 

These will continue to be our objectives until the new stand has been paid for and we are able to spend more on players. 

Just my tuppence wirth. 

Jack Kelly's Hands

I can't see it being a very productive thing to do. If the club announce high expectations then it puts pressure on the players and manager straight away. Low expectations would perhaps cause unhappiness amongst the fans.

Its pretty easy to have a reasonable guess at what the expectations will be this season.

Smith&Weston

Like any normal job, Levein should set the objectives of his staff which Neilson should pass down to his players and coaching staff. I agree this does not need to be made public but should be easy to predict;

- minimum 4th place finish but to at least challenge top 3 by the split;

- minimum semi-final of League Cup with stretched objective to win it;

- minimum semi-final of Scottish Cup with stretched objective to win it;

- improve customer satisfaction (I.e fans) through opinion polls on performance, crowd size and financial spend from last year;

- improve individual player value through performance (I.e int caps, squad value, sales etc)

Achieve these objectives and the majority of the fans will be happy.

So the fury chimps can say "but you promised..." at the end of the season and spend the entire summer complaining and calling for the managers head? Not the best idea.

That would be career suicide for all concerned if we announced our targets and failed.

It may also light a fire under everybody's arse to what is acceptable.

Finally it may also encourage unambitious targets.

Conclusion: Not worth it.

alwaysthereinspirit

We have fans on here, who after two good seasons are beating management to death. Imagine the seethe if management gave a projected goal for the season and didn't quite reach it. No thanks.

Live within our budget

Sell any player whose contact is about to expire if they are unwilling to extend it

Kick out those fans whose behaviour is deemed offensive by Mrs. Budge

Rebuild the main stand within agreed budget and timescale

Sell loads of club merchandise

Escape from the AGM without too much embarrassing criticism

Stay in the Premiership.

Anything else will be seen as a bonus by Messrs Budge, Levein and Neilson

Like any normal job, Levein should set the objectives of his staff which Neilson should pass down to his players and coaching staff. I agree this does not need to be made public but should be easy to predict;

- minimum 4th place finish but to at least challenge top 3 by the split;

- minimum semi-final of League Cup with stretched objective to win it;

- minimum semi-final of Scottish Cup with stretched objective to win it;

- improve customer satisfaction (I.e fans) through opinion polls on performance, crowd size and financial spend from last year;

- improve individual player value through performance (I.e int caps, squad value, sales etc)

Achieve these objectives and the majority of the fans will be happy.

That is fine, but I really do not want that sort of shite announced to the fans.

Jesus wept, however OP might be onto something if we could persuade Levein to hire a plane with the season's objectives on a trailing banner as pre-match entertainment against Celtic. Might work, fans would know where they stood and proper Hearts' men could rest easy. 

My opinion of what is it is not a good season, I don't think Hearts should publicly come out and say what they are aiming for.

Last season was different, because we had just got promoted.

I always say we should aim to win the league (as unlikely as that may be), so if we came out and said we aimed to finish 3rd or 4th, it would sound rather unambitious. If we said 5th, it would make me wonder why I bought a season ticket. But if we said we aim to win it, that puts huge expectations in the players.

I am sure the club have a number of targets for this season, and I am sure this would have web communicated to the players. I am fine with this.

A totally pointless thread.............but just in case the answer is no.

Hearts should not pander to silly little statements made by fans.

I have a sneaking suspicion the club won't pander to this.

Just a hunch !

feedtheroman2

Interesting point to be fair.

Part of me is like, well what are the expectations of HMFC this season especially? Seeing as we are now out of European competition and have the likes of Rangers back in the midst, is 4th place our target or are we setting the bar higher/lower?

Is Ann Budge the one who sets the bar or is it Craig Levein? Robbie is just the guinea pig is he not?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Interesting point to be fair.

Part of me is like, well what are the expectations of HMFC this season especially? Seeing as we are now out of European competition and have the likes of Rangers back in the midst, is 4th place our target or are we setting the bar higher/lower?

Is Ann Budge the one who sets the bar or is it Craig Levein? Robbie is just the guinea pig is he not?

Levein often tweets reach for the stars or words to that effect. I don't think he likes losing.

I imagine Budge sets business targets and Levein football and the two are married.

Robbie has to take training coach and pick the 11 he thinks is best. He will be advised by his DoF of strength and weakness and strategic direction of the football team. He will implement that in his own manner

Care to make your's public then H1b5 boy?

Nah thought not 

Now go away now you have got your bite

Surely progress has to be measured over a 3/5 year period? If we finish 4th next yeay but 2nd the following year, you'd say that we aren;t making progress?

It's a funny old game and injuries or refereeing decisions can obviously affect our league position, as well as how far we go in other cups.

If we finish 4th next year after finishing 3rd this year, I think it would be a struggle for anyone at the club to claim "progress" has been made. Maybe if we lift a cup too?

If we're ahead of plan - I believe we are - we should reset / realign objectives like any other business.

Imagine we had a 5 year plan to win the SPL and did it in year 1. Do you think the management team would just be able to twiddle their thumbs for the next 4 years?

FarmerTweedy

Does your manager issue press releases to tell the public what your targets are at work?

No, didn't think so.

Does your manager issue press releases to tell the public what your targets are at work?

No, didn't think so.

I don't think we should publicly declare our targets, but that is a stupid argument.

I am guessing his employer does not do that. I am also guessing his customers don't shout and cheer his name just because he has done his job well.

Rangers could well be decent this year. We could struggle to compete with them. We'll hopefully give Aberdeen a fight for a placing. We just wont get near Celtic. So 3rd would be definite progress. 4th would not be a serious regression.

Not that it will stop some.. more than some.. flying into a rage if we finish 4th. 4th is lower than 3rd and a decent Rangers team will not be allowed as mitigating circumstances.

Cups are just a series of banana skins. One slip and you're on your arse. Some easier ties and some tangible effort and fight is all you can demand. But early exits in the cups, once more, will herald in another bonanza of seethe.

I'll be looking at the full circumstances of any failures and disappointments.

Seymour M Hersh

Now there's an idea. Perhaps the club could also make public any transfer targets (in or out) and while they're at it why not release every players salary (including any bonuses and benefits).

Now there's an idea. Perhaps the club could also make public any transfer targets (in or out) and while they're at it why not release every players salary (including any bonuses and benefits).

Transfer kitty should be posted on the website home page IMO. Better that the fans are made aware, as opposed to potentially getting a good deal in negotiations.

Imagine if RN said 2nd place. He'd get f'n crucified on here. Win every game. That should be our objective.

Qualifying for Europe should be our aim every season bearing in mind the size of the club. I think privately it will the aim of the management.

We_are_the_Hearts

Would much rather concentrate on the cups than qualifying for Europe these days

Big Slim Stylee

I have a sneaking suspicion the club won't pander to this.

Just a hunch !

Wild stab in the dark my end, but I agree.

I'd be very surprised if Hearts were to make an announcement about their objectives for the season.  However, if you pressed them for a statement, what else would they say but "Our objective is to win every game we play"?

Space Mackerel

Champions League winner post or GTF. :lol:

I'm unsure why people are upset with the OP..

We have been told the seasons objectives for the last two seasons.

First season try to challenge Rangers for the title (achieved)

Last season we publicly said we wanted top 6 (achieved although the objective was deliberately low)

So it's not rocket science that some fans would like to know what is expected for this year.. unless we are trying to protect someone.. or we can't set the objectives low enough to ensure they are met..

A Man Named Jambo

Hearts boss Robbie Neilson: We can challenge for the Premiership title within the next FIVE YEARS

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-boss-robbie-neilson-can-7857570#quyaCuuyAmgvchZm.97

We should be aiming to finish third however fourth isn't a failure and isn't unrealistic. We have no way of anticipating what The Rangers will do regarding their signings in January and for me that will determine our final position in the league. Aberdeen are a very strong side and probably the strongest I've seen them for a number of years - they will finish second. 

As someone mentioned previously, going by our history/ statistics - fourth is where we should be finishing.

Hearts boss Robbie Neilson: We can challenge for the Premiership title within the next FIVE YEARS

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-boss-robbie-neilson-can-7857570#quyaCuuyAmgvchZm.97

We should be aiming to finish third however fourth isn't a failure and isn't unrealistic. We have no way of anticipating what The Rangers will do regarding their signings in January and for me that will determine our final position in the league. Aberdeen are a very strong side and probably the strongest I've seen them for a number of years - they will finish second. 

As someone mentioned previously, going by our history/ statistics - fourth is where we should be finishing.

I think we're third in the all time league table.

The objectives i'd like to see us aiming for would be along the lines of these:

- Less 'cheaply' dropped points against teams we should be brushing aside.

- Growing a pair when it comes to the 'big' games.

- Treating both cup competitions with the same degree of importance as the league.

I'd like us to be a bit more confident in what we can and should be achieving. Accepting mediocrity shouldn't be an option.

FarmerTweedy

I don't think we should publicly declare our targets, but that is a stupid argument.

I am guessing his employer does not do that. I am also guessing his customers don't shout and cheer his name just because he has done his job well.

It's not a stupid argument at all.  Employees are employees, whether people pay to see their work or not.

This seasons targets should be 2 cup wins and a 3rd/4th place finish. Anything think less sackable offence :)

Qualifying for Europe should be our aim every season bearing in mind the size of the club. I think privately it will the aim of the management.

Nah, domestic trophys should come first, Europe is shite as we've seen this year already plus you enter at a later stage if you win the Scottish cup.

A Man Named Jambo

We certainly were. A few people seem to be forgetting how poor Aberdeen have been for the majority of their recent history:

http://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/sco-premiership/

That table indicates we've played 235 more games than Aberdeen? We've definitely had higher league finishes since the SPL was started in 1998 and they've had a nightmare in the past 20 years. Also is the table taking into account we've been around 30 years longer?

Archived