Nikolay Todorov - Loaned to Cowdenbeath till Jan

Ryan Jarman

Literally just popped up on my FB feed as I saw this :)

Hopefully does well and comes back ready to challenge our first team strikers.

Harvey Specter

Makes sense, get him out playing competitive football rather than U20's games. Hopefully he bangs the goals in.

Rudolf's Mate

Generally wouldn't have an issue with this due to the amount of strikers however we signed the guy for 1yr and we're loaning him out for half of it. 

I take it that he's not that good then. 

Well if that doesn't make him determined to make an impression and get back to Tynecastle nothing will.

Bowmans_Boot

Generally wouldn't have an issue with this due to the amount of strikers however we signed the guy for 1yr and we're loaning him out for half of it.

Does seem a bit weird.

Saint Jambo

As others have said, makes sense.

Had assumed that he was signed on a 1-year deal with a view to him either pushing for a first-team (subs) place by the end of the year. So will be interesting to see whether he comes back in January. From that point of view it's a bit of a shame not to get him to a club at a slightly higher level. Going from League 2 to Premiership is not an easy jump.

On other hand maybe it is a 1-year deal to see whether he is ever worth having in the squad. Could have him in League 2 up to Christmas, with the hope of moving him to a Champ club from January if he shines, then into the squad next year (although he will presumably be ineligible for U20s at that point).

Anyway, best of luck to the boy.

Maybe the 1 year deal initially was to see if he would settle in Scotland. I'm sure he will be given an extension.

I never assumed this guy was ready for 1st team.

He has potential. We put him into 1st team loan games for half a season. If he develops/looks good he comes back and we look to agree a longer deal.

We_are_the_Hearts

With Fox being there it will give us a better chance look at him in games than the stupid U20 ones. He is 6th choice striker so won't be playing for the 1st team.

CRWJambo1991

Good move for him, needs to use this loan move as a huge opportunity to extend his current contract.
Looked positive in pre-season so should score goals at league 2 level

the general

With Fox being there it will give us a better chance look at him in games than the stupid U20 ones. He is 6th choice striker so won't be playing for the 1st team.

well said that man !!

Rudolf's Mate

Good move for him, needs to use this loan move as a huge opportunity to extend his current contract.

Looked positive in pre-season so should score goals at league 2 level

Probably bang on the money tbf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a 19-year old midfielder or forward isn't already good enough to challenge for a first team place at Hearts, or at least for a place on the bench, then I would reckon there's a good chance that they never will be.

Defender or goalkeeper is another matter because it's so important they gain experience, but if I remember correctly most midfielders and forwards we've loaned out at that age don't seem to make it, the exception recently being Walker.

Ibrahim Tall

If a 19-year old midfielder or forward isn't already good enough to challenge for a first team place at Hearts, or at least for a place on the bench, then I would reckon there's a good chance that they never will be.

Defender or goalkeeper is another matter because it's so important they gain experience, but if I remember correctly most midfielders and forwards we've loaned out at that age don't seem to make it, the exception recently being Walker.

Hibs loaned out Kenny Miller and Derek Riordan to Cowdenbeath/Stenhousemuir at the same level shortly before they started playing regular for them at 19/20. Sure Templeton was a similar age when we sent him to Raith too.

"The next Robbo."

I think someone on here said.

I wonder how many "next Robbos" we've had in the last two and a half decades :lol:

Good move for him :thumb:

Our track record at this sort of thing suggests the next year will be an utter waste of time for the player and the club.

Prove me wrong.

We_are_the_Hearts

Our track record at this sort of thing suggests the next year will be an utter waste of time for the player and the club.

Prove me wrong.

No different to any other Scottish team?

Prove me wrong.

It's up to the players we send out to prove themselves and perform at said club.

KineticBeat

Understandable. 

Not going to get many 1st opportunities with the depth we have at the position now and the club seemingly preferring Muirhead over him so away and get some first team experience. 

Good luck for him, hope he brings Cowdenbeath some goals.

letsalldothebeattie

Not gonna get game time now that Johnsen & Watt have arrived will do him. Makes sense to get him game time and hopefully gets in the goals too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut The Crap

No different to any other Scottish team?

It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the U20s scene whether or not our approach is actually different from that at other clubs. Do the teams with better sides at that level operate in the same way as we do?

We_are_the_Hearts

It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the U20s scene whether or not our approach is actually different from that at other clubs. Do the teams with better sides at that level operate in the same way as we do?

Pretty much yip. Can think of Stanton, Harris etc at Hibs. Aberdeen loan theirs to Northern clubs. Celtic loan theirs to St Mirren, Hobs etc. Rangers have loaned the likes of Gallagher and Gasporotto. The only decent one recently I can think of is McKay going to Raith.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mind when that Jamal mumble whatever guy went to Montrose. What a disaster that was

Pretty much yip. Can think of Stanton, Harris etc at Hibs. Aberdeen loan theirs to Northern clubs. Celtic loan theirs to St Mirren, Hobs etc. Rangers have loaned the likes of Gallagher and Gasporotto. The only decent one recently I can think of is McKay going to Raith.

They all sign players on one year deals and send them out on loan right away ?

We_are_the_Hearts

Who have we done it with before Todorov?

Prove me wrong.

Why is taking a year to have a look at a young player with potential a waste of time?

Bearing in mind only around 10% of young players make a success of a career in football we need to look at 10 such players to get 1.

You don't want journeymen. You don't want foreign mercenaries. But you don't want us to have a look at young players with potential on a low risk low cost deal?

What do you want?

Yep let's sign him for 5 years like Vlad did when we don't know if he will cut it. Oh aye, that was a shite idea too...

Footballfirst

Jamhal Howlett Mundle, Liam Henderson, Ally Roy, Brad McKay

Not all loaned out immediately, but all early within their contracts.

We_are_the_Hearts

Yeah the question was immediately though and couldn't think of anyone. Think the management have realised the U20s aren't developing players.

Footballfirst

Yeah the question was immediately though and couldn't think of anyone. Think the management have realised the U20s aren't developing players.

I actually wonder if they made a mistake with Todorov's age thinking he was eligible to play U20s this season. He is still only 19 which would allow him be be designated as an U20 in England for next season (I think they use 1 August as the cut off date), but he is not eligible in Scotland because we use the calendar year to determine eligibility.

Re the names I mentioned in the earlier post, Brad McKay spent the whole of his first season out on loan to Penicuik Athletic.

Surprising move, I was expecting us to play with five up front. Typical stuff from negative Neilson.

Francis Albert

Got to feel a bit for Todorov. Signs for Hearts in the most beautiful city in Europe. Even gets into the squad for two European matches. But then consigned for at least half his contract to probably the bleakest outpost of Scottish senior football. Maybe he knew that was likely to be the deal.

Anyway a good character test. Let's hope he shows what he can do and justifies a longer contract..

No one I can think of. What other clubs have done it routinely ?

All on one year deals at the time ?

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. If Muirhead and Todorov are the future of our clubs strike force then surely they should getting plenty game time together if players are to progress from the academy then it makes more sense to get them all playing together?

I also don't think bringing a guy from Bulgaria and sending him off to Cowdenbeath is a particularly great idea he should be around the first team getting to know them all.

J Cheever Loophole

I actually wonder if they made a mistake with Todorov's age thinking he was eligible to play U20s this season. He is still only 19 which would allow him be be designated as an U20 in England for next season (I think they use 1 August as the cut off date), but he is not eligible in Scotland because we use the calendar year to determine eligibility.

Re the names I mentioned in the earlier post, Brad McKay spent the whole of his first season out on loan to Penicuik Athletic.

Scott Severin to Musselburgh Athletic

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. If Muirhead and Todorov are the future of our clubs strike force then surely they should getting plenty game time together if players are to progress from the academy then it makes more sense to get them all playing together?

I also don't think bringing a guy from Bulgaria and sending him off to Cowdenbeath is a particularly great idea he should be around the first team getting to know them all.

Don't these loan deals often involve the player continuing to train with Hearts but playing games and doing some training with the loan team? Cowdenbeath are part-time so he's still going to be training with Hearts. It's just we'll be able to assess him in proper competitive games instead of U-20 games.

Archived