Football nostalgia!

crichiejambos

Who wore their Hearts scarf covered with about 100 pin badges?

Or Gilzean badges.  "Jesus Saves...But Busby Nets The Rebound"    etc

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.

Mine was "Jesus saves... but Busby hits the floodlights".

Also - "Gorgies chosen few", caricatures of Hearts players on cardboard from Gilzeans shop just off Cockburn Street.

Anyone remember the little shop he had at the top of the close just off Cockburn st opposite the back entrance to the Scotsman?

Anyone remember the little shop he had at the top of the close just off Cockburn st opposite the back entrance to the Scotsman?

Yes - just mentioned it above. :thumb:

Got loads of stuff made in there.

Yep.

Mine was "Jesus saves... but Busby hits the floodlights".

Also - "Gorgies chosen few", caricatures of Hearts players on cardboard from Gilzeans shop just off Cockburn Street.

O'Conner's chips are better than Bratisanni's (apologies for the spelling). 

After Derek O'Conners chip against H1b5 at Easter Road around 1977?

Captain America

Bought the Wee Red Book last night after inspiration from this thread.

Carl Fredrickson

Used to get badges made at the wee sports shop on Gorgie Road. I think it was Topsports. It was a tiny wee shop and rammed on match days (i reckon 6 folk would have meant it was packed)

Being lifted over the turnstile by my older brother (he stopped this after trying it at Love Street in the late 70s when i was getting heavier and he hurt his back. I think we lost 4-0)

The father and son gate at the Wheatfield entrance with kids hanging about to get any adult to go in with them to save money. 

MacDonald Jardine

Used to get badges made at the wee sports shop on Gorgie Road. I think it was Topsports. It was a tiny wee shop and rammed on match days (i reckon 6 folk would have meant it was packed)

Being lifted over the turnstile by my older brother (he stopped this after trying it at Love Street in the late 70s when i was getting heavier and he hurt his back. I think we lost 4-0)

The father and son gate at the Wheatfield entrance with kids hanging about to get any adult to go in with them to save money.

Topsport was effectively the Hearts shop in those days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Topsport was effectively the Hearts shop in those days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Loved Topsport.

I remember one year in the 80s it opened on Boxing Day and I couldn't wait to get on the bus from the Calders and spend my Xmas money on some new Hearts gear...

Seemed like a mission then though, hardly any traffic, streets quiet and you had to make sure you didn't miss the hourly bus! The good old days..:)

Here's a weird thing watched a movie last night called "Awaydays" (2009) about football hooliganism set in the 1970"s in England and yet in one scene the lead actor appears to have Willie Gibson and Jim Jeffries on his mirror. Found the 2 stickers sure there the same?

YqifbMu.jpg

VoSdAum.pngpBtHlCL.jpg

Favourite food

Prawn cocktail and Steak & Chips every week on the Player Profile

I remember getting a programme at ibrox and dave cooper's favourite colour was blue and the person he most wanted to meet was the queen. I never bought a celtic one but I assume Paul mcstay's was pink and val doonican.

That's when you were modelling yourself on Mighty Mouse!!!

I had two x Hearts football yearbook and diary from the early 1990's which I recently ditched. Dearly wish I hadn't written in them, although I reminded myself how much I hated David Syme and Rangers!!!

Carl Fredrickson

That's when you were modelling yourself on Mighty Mouse!!!

I had two x Hearts football yearbook and diary from the early 1990's which I recently ditched. Dearly wish I hadn't written in them, although I reminded myself how much I hated David Syme and Rangers!!!

:gok:   (for the MM comment - not the ditching of the diaries)

Tommy Brown

Here's a weird thing watched a movie last night called "Awaydays" (2009) about football hooliganism set in the 1970"s in England and yet in one scene the lead actor appears to have Willie Gibson and Jim Jeffries on his mirror. Found the 2 stickers sure there the same?YqifbMu.jpgVoSdAum.pngpBtHlCL.jpg

Buzzbomb on the left also

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.static.flickr.com%2F3068%2F2993055146_1fe9b5b46c.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickriver.com%2Fphotos%2Faberdeenfc%2Ftags%2Fhearts%2F&docid=si96e8THV2Za9M&tbnid=ULxjtfrRSmKCuM%3A&w=328&h=500&client=tablet-android-lenovo&bih=800&biw=1280&ved=0ahUKEwipzYbz3JvOAhXDJ8AKHbbVBygQMwgfKAMwAw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Templeton Peck

Visited the Football Museum in Manchester earlier in the month and my five year old daughter bought Euro 2016 Top Trumps. Great game, still same rules. Just updated players.

John Findlay

I had quite a few despite my dad not having a car. The 1970 World Cup was the first to have a panel of 'experts'. Derek Dougan, Bob McNab..............can't remember the others.

On ITV it was Pat Crerand and Malcolm Alison. Crerand was asked how do you spell Pele. His reply GOD.

John Findlay
hmfc_liam06

It has maybe been mentioned as I've not read the whole thread but did anyone used to do the football management by mail thing, I think it used to be run or advertised in the Match magazine. They would send you out a big pack and you would send your team back via mail.

Tied around your wrist of course.

But of course.

And one down the side of your jeans?

Hearts rosettes

With the plastic Hearts footballer stapled to them?

Archived