Football nostalgia!

crichiejambos

NOSTALGIA.....

Absolutely Brilliant,was at all those games.All the pant wetters,moaners and johnny come latelys on this site should be forced to watch this and remember where we've come from.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had every copy of Shoot from the first in August 1969 until well into the mid-1970s. Eventually binned several huindred editions. Still have about 30+ Wee Red Book, almost every Clydesdale Bank Scottish Football book and every edition of Rothmans/Sky since the first in 1970. About 20 Scottish Football Book no. nn, over 100 World Soccer from inception in 1960 until mid-1980s and every annual Kicker Sonderheft from the last 25 years. In the late 1980s and early part of 1990s I also collected Guerin Sportivo, all of which ended up in the bin, along with a corresponding number of Onze.

Just about to put the first 11 editions of The Footballer (the Journal of British Soccer History) on to E-Bay.

Салатные палочки

Anyone remember Scottish Football Today? Not sure how long it ran for but I remember getting a few copies in the early 90s. Half magazine half fanzine. One of the editions asked readers to send in their designs for the new Scotland away kit. The winner was a bra, knickers and suspenders set :rofl:

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Any older JKBers remember Soccer Star from the 1960s? I think it was a weekly magazine printed on glossy paper, there was also the Speedway Star which I also used to buy when I followed Edinburgh Monarchs.

Captain America

Used to get the wee red book every year and Scottish league review after my annual visit to Yorkhill outpatients to check on my heart.

Carl Fredrickson

Jon Stark the footballer of the future right enough

starksml.jpg

That is a blast from the past! 

crichiejambos

Did they no have a cartoon strip called the Cannonball Kid? Or am I thinking o something else all together?

Fort Vallance

I got a cracking book from my Grandson a few months ago called "What was football like in the 1960's, Grandad." I'd recommend it to anyone of that generation. 

Loved the old magazines \ comics

Roy of The Rovers

Shoot

Match

90 mins

SFT (Scottish Football Today)

Brilliant memories!

The Treasurer

It's quite ironic I feel; despite limited tv coverage back in the late 60's and early to late 70's, I knew pretty much all the players in the top league in England. Now, despite blanket coverage by Sky and BT etc. I know the square root of sod all. I actually don't watch English football at all now, unless it's on when I'm in the pub.

TBF you struggle to remember your own name most of the time these days 

Fxxx the SPFL

Any older JKBers remember Soccer Star from the 1960s? I think it was a weekly magazine printed on glossy paper, there was also the Speedway Star which I also used to buy when I followed Edinburgh Monarchs.

My old man used to take me to Meadowbank early sixties to watch the Monarchs loved the smell of the fuel they used consequently stood at one of the bends and got covered in shale needless to say the old dear was a bit miffed at having to wash minging clothes.

Nookie Bear

Another magazine is used to love was called 90 minutes, which came out in the early 90s. It was a bit like a fanzine but really good.

That was a good magazine, slightly irreverent and not too focused on the big names. Was co-founded by Talksport's Paul Hawksbee.

We_are_the_Hearts

Hot Shot Hamish in the Sunday Post!

That was part of the Roy of the Rovers magazine. ROTR, Billy's Boots, Hot shot Hamish.............canny mind the other storylines? Was there one about a racing car driver that wore a mask?

His name is

Still buy the wee red book every year. Bought it last week.

I hadn't seen it in years and my mum got me a copy last week

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

His name is

My match day routine was, a drive to the cavan (?) bar in leith where my uncle worked, i would get a scotch pie out of the microwave in the pub, off to tynie, back home then a walk to the shop for the pink.

Scotsport on a Sunday to catch all the goals again. Weirdly I always remember seeing highlights of Dunfermline v Aberdeen game (early 90s) and a guy hans ghillhous (?) scoring a hatrick on his debut for Aberdeen.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Hot Shot Hamish in the Sunday Post!

Sure Hot Shot Hamish was in the Roy of the Rovers

hot-shot.jpg

Carl Fredrickson

My match day routine was, a drive to the cavan (?) bar in leith where my uncle worked, i would get a scotch pie out of the microwave in the pub, off to tynie, back home then a walk to the shop for the pink.

Scotsport on a Sunday to catch all the goals again. Weirdly I always remember seeing highlights of Dunfermline v Aberdeen game (early 90s) and a guy hans ghillhous (?) scoring a hatrick on his debut for Aberdeen.

IIRC one was an overhead kick. Dunfermline had a midfielder who Souness bought when he took over at Liverpool! Some teams and players in the Scottish League back then

Carl Fredrickson

hot-shot.jpg

And then Mighty Mouse joined the script.....

hot-shot.jpg

Don't think it was Sunday Post. But sure there was a kids pull out in the Sunday Mail which had Hot Shot Hamish stories. c. 2007/08 onwards.

Hot Shot Hamish and Billy's Boots started off in Tiger & Scorcher I think. Roy of the Rogers comic started in Sept 76. Stories were The Hard Man starring Jonhny Dexter, also You are the Star where they left a gap in the story for you to enter your name. Hot Shot Hamish and Billy's Boots came along later, I think when Tiger finished. ROTR finished in 1994, and some time later was resurrected jointly with Tiger. Wasn't the same though.

Jon Stark the footballer of the future right enough

starksml.jpg

I remember when Henry Smith made his debut (about 1980) I think it was Airdie v Hearts and he was wearing a coat like that.  Looked like a Harlem pimp!

Hot Shot Hamish and Billy's Boots started off in Tiger & Scorcher I think. Roy of the Rogers comic started in Sept 76. Stories were The Hard Man starring Jonhny Dexter, also You are the Star where they left a gap in the story for you to enter your name. Hot Shot Hamish and Billy's Boots came along later, I think when Tiger finished. ROTR finished in 1994, and some time later was resurrected jointly with Tiger. Wasn't the same though.

Right, anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong but here goes. Pretty sure that Roy of The Rovers started out in a comic called Jag. This teamed up with the comic Tiger and was initially known as Tiger and Jag. The Jag header dropped of and it went back to just Tiger with ROTR, Football Family Robinson and Skid Solo amongst others (native American wrestler....Johnny Cougar?). Whilst this was all going on there was another comic called Score'n'Roar which dropped to just Score and featured greats like Billy's Boots, Bobby's Blues and Jack and Jimmy Chelsey playing for Castleburn United and Castleburn City. This also was incorporated into Tiger and called Tiger and Score for a short while, before reverting back to just Tiger again. After that Roy Race got his own comic and married his girlfriend Penny (I think).

...a bit disco

This is one I used to get.

266-category.jpg

It had pretty good articles and coaching tips.

But my favourite feature was a step-by-step illustrated guide to how some of the greatest goals, Archie Gemmil v Holland '78 was one, were scored.

Great thread!

Who remembers Scorcher and Score?

What about the club badges and wee coins with players pictures you got with Esso petrol?

Who wore their Hearts scarf covered with about 100 pin badges?

Favourite food

Prawn cocktail and Steak & Chips every week on the Player Profile

:rofl:

How very true!

Nookie Bear

Right, anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong but here goes. Pretty sure that Roy of The Rovers started out in a comic called Jag. This teamed up with the comic Tiger and was initially known as Tiger and Jag. The Jag header dropped of and it went back to just Tiger with ROTR, Football Family Robinson and Skid Solo amongst others (native American wrestler....Johnny Cougar?). Whilst this was all going on there was another comic called Score'n'Roar which dropped to just Score and featured greats like Billy's Boots, Bobby's Blues and Jack and Jimmy Chelsey playing for Castleburn United and Castleburn City. This also was incorporated into Tiger and called Tiger and Score for a short while, before reverting back to just Tiger again. After that Roy Race got his own comic and married his girlfriend Penny (I think).

Sintek - some sort of robotic or superhuman man?

Nipper Lawrence - a small footballer

Carl Fredrickson

Great thread!

What about the club badges and wee coins with players pictures you got with Esso petrol?

We had a bit of blue card that the coins went in. Was that about 74? I was VERY young at the time but seem to mind them.

Was it the Shoot that had "You Are The Ref" in it? Used to love that when I was proved right. Not so much when I was wrong

Think the Esso coins were for the 1970 World Cup and were the England team.

Correct.

Mexico 70'. 

RobbofordGHC

Club badges to stick on the card from Texaco garages were my favourite, especially as we got to the final!

Sneckiejambo

I used to get the Goal Magazine, found 3 folders of them from number 1 to about 200 a while ago and put the lot in the bin, about 2 weeks later I seen guys selling them for ?3.50 each on eBay.

Sintek - some sort of robotic or superhuman man?

Nipper Lawrence - a small footballer

Not sure about Sintek but Nipper Lawrence yes. Think he played in his bare feet. I was wrong earlier; it was Scorcher that Billy's Boots and Bobby of The Blues were in. That comic then merged with Score and eventually Tiger.

Effervesance

Mind in the early - mid 80's there were wee football books (cartoon style, A3 size) that were maybe 30 or 40 pages and were just 1 story?

Can't for the life of me mind what they were called but if memory serves me right I had about 100 of them.

Think they were a fortnightly publication...

I had every copy of Shoot from the first in August 1969 until well into the mid-1970s. Eventually binned several huindred editions. Still have about 30+ Wee Red Book, almost every Clydesdale Bank Scottish Football book and every edition of Rothmans/Sky since the first in 1970. About 20 Scottish Football Book no. nn, over 100 World Soccer from inception in 1960 until mid-1980s and every annual Kicker Sonderheft from the last 25 years. In the late 1980s and early part of 1990s I also collected Guerin Sportivo, all of which ended up in the bin, along with a corresponding number of Onze.

Just about to put the first 11 editions of The Footballer (the Journal of British Soccer History) on to E-Bay.

Statto geek.....

I had about 10 Rothmans.  Best football books ever.  Wish there was an online database of them.  Wee Red book in the 70's, then bought one a few years ago when I was back in Scotland.  Still good.  Kicker was good, Onze was great.  Both regular buys when on holidays.

Unknown user

IIRC one was an overhead kick. Dunfermline had a midfielder who Souness bought when he took over at Liverpool! Some teams and players in the Scottish League back then

Yep, Istvan Kozma. He had loads of caps for Hungary, but what's really mental is that Dunfermline spent half a million signing him - quarter of a century ago!

He was voted one of the worst players ever to play in the epl too

Memories coming flooding back in this thread. You can buy most old comics on ebay these days in pdf form on discs for a few quid, have a look if your interested.

I spotted this on amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1472114949/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2WMARY9I7LV2D&coliid=I2PW4KW8NX1PXU

post-22480-44115_thumb.jpg

The Treasurer

Think the Esso coins were for the 1970 World Cup and were the England team.

Correct.

I had the full set inc. display board thanks to my dad being pals with Willie Woodburn (ex-hun) who owned the Esso garage at Craiglockhart

"Kicker" Magazine do a pre-season issue featuring all the German League Teams, last season they had a complete set of Ladders and Teams for all the German Leagues including the Regional Leagues.  Brilliant production.  On the front was a cardboard replica of the Bundesliga shield/trophy.

Correct.

I had the full set inc. display board thanks to my dad being pals with Willie Woodburn (ex-hun) who owned the Esso garage at Craiglockhart

I had quite a few despite my dad not having a car. The 1970 World Cup was the first to have a panel of 'experts'. Derek Dougan, Bob McNab..............can't remember the others.

Correct.

I've got that set too.

Seem to remember the only England squad player I hadn't heard of was one Keith Newton. I think!

Maroon Sailor

I had quite a few despite my dad not having a car. The 1970 World Cup was the first to have a panel of 'experts'. Derek Dougan, Bob McNab..............can't remember the others.

Bob McNab - had a part alongside Stan, Jack and Blakey in On The Buses

Bob McNab - had a part alongside Stan, Jack and Blakey in On The Buses

I'll get you Butler!

Archived