Football nostalgia!

crichiejambos

crichiejambos

With social media,Twitter,periscope etc innocent football nostalgia has been forgotten does anyone remember the league adjustable ladder thing you got with Shoot! Magazine? Do you still get them? You got all the tables in one sheet then weekly a different division you popped them out and filed them in on the league table to where they were. This lasted two weeks you either lost QPR or ripped the tab o some other team and couldn't use it.......simple things!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fxxx the SPFL

With social media,Twitter,periscope etc innocent football nostalgia has been forgotten does anyone remember the league adjustable ladder thing you got with Shoot! Magazine? Do you still get them? You got all the tables in one sheet then weekly a different division you popped them out and filed them in on the league table to where they were. This lasted two weeks you either lost QPR or ripped the tab o some other team and couldn't use it.......simple things!

What a random post but yes I remember them I think you had to buy a shoot every week for four weeks to get all the league tables including the Scottish.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Football Cards with a bit bubble gum inside, I've still got a few Hearts cards from the 70s

My brother used to set up teams on the subbutteo pitch

Carl Fredrickson

The Shoot magazine would have team/squad photos every week, a double pager in the centrefold and a couple of single pagers throughout. I used to memorise players from every team. 

I had a wasted childhood. 

The Shoot magazine would have team/squad photos every week, a double pager in the centrefold and a couple of single pagers throughout. I used to memorise players from every team. 

I had a wasted childhood. 

Me too.  I once used to the know the name of every ground in the English & Scottish leagues.

I should have went on junior mastermind.

Carl Fredrickson

Me too.  I once used to the know the name of every ground in the English & Scottish leagues.

I should have went on junior mastermind.

I would have been competition for you but not now - all these new grounds and "sponsored" grounds, I havent a clue who plays where!

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be. 

I would have been competition for you but not now - all these new grounds and "sponsored" grounds, I havent a clue who plays where!

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be. 

It's quite ironic I feel; despite limited tv coverage back in the late 60's and early to late 70's, I knew pretty much all the players in the top league in England. Now, despite blanket coverage by Sky and BT etc. I know the square root of sod all. I actually don't watch English football at all now, unless it's on when I'm in the pub.

Carl Fredrickson

It's quite ironic I feel; despite limited tv coverage back in the late 60's and early to late 70's, I knew pretty much all the players in the top league in England. Now, despite blanket coverage by Sky and BT etc. I know the square root of sod all. I actually don't watch English football at all now, unless it's on when I'm in the pub.

Probably because we actually took time to read things. We now suffer from football overload. 

I mind the great Ipswich team of the late 70s/early 80s playing with a red and white ball that I think only they used. It was a beauty and when there was spin on it it looked awesome to my youthful eye. My older brother bought one and I thought all my Christmas's had come at once. 

Maroon Sailor

Still get the old league ladders on eBay

I got Shoot every week late 70's early 80's and it was a great football magazine. Still got them up the loft along with the league ladders

heartandsoul

Shoot was brilliant, mind the ladders....yep hmfc on top, vermin put to the bottom lol. Think there was a magazine called Goal around this time.

I mind the great Ipswich team of the late 70s/early 80s playing with a red and white ball that I think only they used. It was a beauty and when there was spin on it it looked awesome to my youthful eye. My older brother bought one and I thought all my Christmas's had come at once.

The red and white ball was the English league's first official ball and was used in the First Division from 79-82 - it was the first 'proper' ball I had.

Used to love Shoot and Match but can't remember the league table things. Aside from the posters (I remember having John Colquhoun, Kenny Dalglish and several others on my wall), I only really remember the short player interviews, which had all the same answers - car: Ford Capri, food: steak and chips, drink: lager, music: Phil Collins etc.

Team tabs league ladders in the Shoot!

I used to put Hearts at the top no matter what. :D

Shoot was brilliant, mind the ladders....yep hmfc on top, vermin put to the bottom lol. Think there was a magazine called Goal around this time.

cheeturz !

Probably because we actually took time to read things. We now suffer from football overload. 

Your first statement is so true. I remember getting the Topical Times football annual every Xmas and reading it from cover to cover. Now all you do is turn on Sky Sports for all the information you need. Football in England just doesn't interest me anymore. Overpaid players and overhyped product.

Used to get Shoot and Goal. I also remember a really wee magazine about pocket sized. Came out late 70s. Can't remember what it was called, football handbook maybe. Used to have a diagram of footballs greatest goals which showed how they were svored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to get Shoot and Goal. I also remember a really wee magazine about pocket sized. Came out late 70s. Can't remember what it was called, football handbook maybe. Used to have a diagram of footballs greatest goals which showed how they were svored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the football handbook. I remember getting a stack of them given to me from somewhere. Hearts were the featured team in the issue 3 with a blue cover. Can also remember an article on the old NASL and can still picture all the club badges, Chicago Sting and Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Maroon Sailor

There was also a football mag called SCOOP that had picture board stories like Roy of the Rovers. They had a player called Jon Stark who touted himself to clubs for big bucks - ahead of their time ?

I used to get Scoop. Bigger pages but not glossy like Shoot. Have also got all Roy of the Rovers from issue 1.

I was clearing up some stuff in my attic the other day and found two books, Texaco Cup books one listing all the Scottish teams the other listing the English ones, team photos and info with basic maps of the parks and surrounding streets.

The wee red book was good as well, it was yearly, have a couple from the 50s that were my late father in laws, used to get it every year, full of cracking football info.

cheeturz !

When I had to burst out my own bubble into adulthood I had to accept Hearts hadn't won the league 12 times in a row...:sob:

77-78+Shoot1977Tabs1.jpg

Superb....Must be a slightly older set?

I'm sure they added the record crowd for each team on the tabs. :thumbsup:

EDIT: just noticed 1977.

When I had to burst out my own bubble into adulthood I had to accept Hearts hadn't won the league 12 times in a row... :sob:

:laugh4: we can always dream, I would be happy with 1 league win just now, 'every journey starts with one step'

Used to love Shoot from the mid 80s. Used to get Match and Roy of the Rovers too. I also remember Football Monthly which was a small sized comic story. As a poster said, it had the mercenary Jon Stark and things like that. Loved it.

Used to always have Hearts top of the league ladders too. I always got really excited about the start of the season so collected them all then used to get fed up of changing them after about three weeks.

Match of the day magazine on sale today

Had the ladder teams

Had Hearts

Joys of unpacking the magazines at work.

Салатные палочки

FourFourTwo used to do a season review magazine which had all the home and away kits, signings and departures and a fans thoughts on the season for every league club in Britain. Great reading. Pre-internet it was a great way to read up about lower league clubs.

The Wee Red Book. Dunno if that was a West coast thing but I loved getting it in 1998/99 and seeing the team picture with "Scottish Cup Winners Heart of Midlothian".

I high school my French teacher used to bring in copied of L'equipe for me and my mates. Although it was in French it had great pictures from all the European leagues.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Maroon Sailor

Used to always have Hearts top of the league ladders too. I always got really excited about the start of the season so collected them all then used to get fed up of changing them after about three weeks.

Start of the season was a pain for changing as clubs could move 9 or 10 places and it had a snowball effect.

Nowadays it'd be a full-time job changing the league tabs with games on every night of the week nearly.

I remember one called Shaven Ravers from around that era

Got shoot and roy of rovers. Went off latter when Melchester signed bob wilson, emlyn hughes and the kemp brothers from spandau ballet...

Remnants of Standards

I got a tenner for Letter of the Week in Shoot from Jimmy Greaves no less for bemoaning the amount of live football on tv.

This was possibly 1987 so god knows what I was bothered about then compared to now.

(Edit..it may have been an office monkey who doled out the tenners and not Jimmy himself)

Got shoot and roy of rovers. Went off latter when Melchester signed bob wilson, emlyn hughes and the kemp brothers from spandau ballet...

Easily forgetting Geoff Boycott as Chairman. Sad times.

I remember articles in Shoot about Craig Levein and Robbo (I think the CL one hinted at a bid of about 400k from Spurs).

I used to love World Soccer magazine as well.  Pre-internet and sky TV it was the only way to keep up with international football.

The Wee Red Book was essential for a Scottish football statto.

I remember before Sky TV, my dad used to let my stay up late on a school night to watch ITV's fort nightly CL game. What a treat.

Carl Fredrickson

Used to love Roy of the Rovers but like others, went off it when they started bringing real folk into the storyline. 

I also remember getting a comic that had The Safest Hands In Soccer in it. Cant mind the name of the comic but it was merged with Roy of The Rovers and the story continued. Gordon Stewart, a Scottish goalie who was an inspiration to me in my youth! If I remember correctly the story writers ran out of amazing saves he could make so killed him off in a helicopter crash :( 

John Findlay

Roy of the Rovers started off in the Tiger

comic before, getting his own called Roy of the Rovers. The only player to score a hat trick and save a penalty in a FA Cup final. Moved from Tiger to his own comic with that other legendary player, Hot Shot Hamish. Bairns dinnae ken what they are missing nowadays:-)

Another magazine is used to love was called 90 minutes, which came out in the early 90s. It was a bit like a fanzine but really good.

Anyone remember the Clydesdale bank Scottish football book that came out every year?

We_are_the_Hearts

Roy of the Rovers started off in the Tiger

comic before, getting his own called Roy of the Rovers. The only player to score a hat trick and save a penalty in a FA Cup final. Moved from Tiger to his own comic with that other legendary player, Hot Shot Hamish. Bairns dinnae ken what they are missing nowadays:-)

Tiger and the Beano were weekly buys

Harry Potter

Bought the first shoot , loved changing my tables each week, great post.

John Findlay

Used to always get the Scottish Football Association Annual every year. Was always a hardback and had great photographs in it as they filled the full page. Hampden always looked huge. Pat Stanton was footballer of the year in 1974. I always found it a great read.

Archived