Holiday 2017 advice

Carl Fredrickson

What are the best websites to look at to search for holidays?

Amazon and Zoopla.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

We used Jet2.

Felt is was clearer. The price they quoted included flights and transfer ms etc. 22kg luggage allowance as well.

Plus you get ?25 off for having a season ticket

North Berwick Jambo

It depends on where and what your looking for really. For Spain or the Med in general I used Jet2 more than any other company over the past eight years or so before I moved here last year as they fly direct from Edinburgh at decent times, you get a decent baggage allowance (22kg) and the hotels they use are good. If you are looking to save money try booking the flights and hotels separately using the likes of Skyscanner and Booking.com. Also some of the holiday comparison websites are worth a look.

We're going to Albufeira in July, staying near the old town which is about 2 miles from the "strip", plenty of restaurants and bars in the old town but far enough away from the lager louts.

Also been to Cabanas which is a nice resort with a fantastic beach but there wasn't much there 7 years ago, might be better now but we had a car and there are some great places to visit nearby like Tavira.

Portugal is still one of the best destinations for value for money.

Thanks, mate, will have a look at those places.

I recall an upmarket place that catered for weddings etc and had its own private beach/cove. Can't remember its name but Kylie Minogue was there doing a photoshoot when I was there.

Amante beach. Expensive but superb in location and quality of food. We went twice last year, once during the day to lounge in the sun with some champagne then out for and evening meal for her birthday. Well worth a visit for a romantic meal in the evening.

Cyprus Jambo

Tenerife for me............all inclusive although it's not too expensive to eat out. Gran Oasis between Ls Chritianos and Playa. Can't come quick enough.First holiday abroad with the daughter (3).

scottish_chicP

11 nights in Lanzarote for me in June. I ususlly book through Jet2 but Travel Republic was slightly cheaper and better flight times.

Jambo 4 Ever

Tenerife for me............all inclusive although it's not too expensive to eat out. Gran Oasis between Ls Chritianos and Playa. Can't come quick enough.First holiday abroad with the daughter (3).

Enjoy!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Trying Bulgaria this year. In all honesty it was my son who chose it. It has Free entry into a waterpark as it is a First Choice's Splashworld hotel. We'll see how it goes. Heard mixed reports.

Jambo 4 Ever

Is there more too that - have you been to that hotel?

ha no no - only heard good things about it! was just saying enjoy! :)

Cyprus Jambo

ha no no - only heard good things about it! was just saying enjoy! :)

Cheers............your ! threw me

doctor jambo

First choice has a "lastminute deals" icon in the bar at the top.....

its well hidden - we got an all inclusive to Ibiza last summer 2 weeks before departure- 4* all inclusive for 5 of us, 2 rooms from Glasgow-

?2200 all in

could have gone to turkey for even less

Elias Henry Furst

We're going to Albufeira in July, staying near the old town which is about 2 miles from the "strip", plenty of restaurants and bars in the old town but far enough away from the lager louts.

Also been to Cabanas which is a nice resort with a fantastic beach but there wasn't much there 7 years ago, might be better now but we had a car and there are some great places to visit nearby like Tavira.

Portugal is still one of the best destinations for value for money.

We're also in Albufeira in July.

Got return Ryanair flights for ?49 each!

Hired a beautiful looking villa for a week.

Yes, we got ridiculously cheap flights as well, although from Manchester but we have friends down there so will stay with them the night before.

Not got a villa but because of the cheap flights we were able to book a private apartment for 15 nights a good standard or two better  than we would normally be able to.

chester copperpot

I have (honestly) been looking into prices to go to Pyongyang.

You have to fly from China though but the prices aint too expensive.

Granted it's not everyone's cup of tea but the place fascinates me

I have (honestly) been looking into prices to go to Pyongyang.

You have to fly from China though but the prices aint too expensive.

Granted it's not everyone's cup of tea but the place fascinates me

I'd end up in the jail for laughing at them. I've a friend that went to North Korea a fair while beck when they were only letting a few people in per year but I've never asked him about his experience. I'd imagine it's very shite.

Moraira in Aug for two weeks and hopefully the Canaries for a week in October. Is there anywhere else with guaranteed sun in October anyone would recommend?

chester copperpot

I'd end up in the jail for laughing at them. I've a friend that went to North Korea a fair while beck when they were only letting a few people in per year but I've never asked him about his experience. I'd imagine it's very shite.

One of the guys who posts on here went and his photos looked amazing tbh.

Just something about them that I find fascinating and would love to head there one day.

Hopefully with them opening their doors to more and more tourists that in a few years they realise that this is a good revenue stream.

Been watching all the available documentaries and the place is batshit crazy

One of the guys who posts on here went and his photos looked amazing tbh.

Just something about them that I find fascinating and would love to head there one day.

Hopefully with them opening their doors to more and more tourists that in a few years they realise that this is a good revenue stream.

Been watching all the available documentaries and the place is batshit crazy

I'd go if I were you, and go soon.......because auld Trump could have the place nuked any time soon!!

chester copperpot

I'd go if I were you, and go soon.......because auld Trump could have the place nuked any time soon!!

Too scared of what they can do back mate.

America are scared of the glorious leader.

Jambo 4 Ever

How far in advance did you book that to get such a good deal?

Looking at Thailand in early November, looking at two weeks and splitting our time between Phuket and Krabi, either busing it or the ferry in between.

Also looking to visit a nice (proper) elephant sanctuary whilst there.

And recomendations for places to stay in either location? Preferably fairly quiet but still with lots of places to eat out.. and for the most idyllic beaches?

Thanks in advance

Elias Henry Furst

How far in advance did you book that to get such a good deal?

We booked the flights at end of February. Flying from Newcastle.

We've got friends who are looking to go and apparently you could book them last week for ?66.

It's ridiculously cheap.

I also flew to Malaga at the start of the month and got return flights from Edinburgh for ?85 with jet2.

Jambo 4 Ever

We booked the flights at end of February. Flying from Newcastle.

We've got friends who are looking to go and apparently you could book them last week for ?66.

It's ridiculously cheap.

I also flew to Malaga at the start of the month and got return flights from Edinburgh for ?85 with jet2.

Do you think it is better booking flights and accom separately then?

As someone who appears to need their hand held at every step I'd suggest you just book a package deal with Thomsons.

Samuel Camazzola

There is no right or wrong way. Depends on the pricing and the time you want to go away.

If you are unsure of where to go, have a look at Norwegian.Com. They do plenty flights from Edinburgh and display a calendar which details what the cheapest flight prices are on each day.

I have booked through Thompson's for the last 7 years.  Have always got good deals and any issues I have had have been sorted quickly. I like their organisation.

Heading to Cyprus in August for 11 nights this year for the first time - Coral Beach Paphos.  

Jambo 4 Ever

There is no right or wrong way. Depends on the pricing and the time you want to go away.

If you are unsure of where to go, have a look at Norwegian.Com. They do plenty flights from Edinburgh and display a calendar which details what the cheapest flight prices are on each day.

Will do - thanks

I have booked through Thompson's for the last 7 years.  Have always got good deals and any issues I have had have been sorted quickly. I like their organisation.

Heading to Cyprus in August for 11 nights this year for the first time - Coral Beach Paphos.  

Nice one

Will maybe check their website out again then

Elias Henry Furst

It depends on what type of holiday you're after.

I've booked plenty package deals in the past so I could get to certain Thomson Family hotels or First choice holiday villages etc, especially so when the kids were younger.

The kids are that bit older now so we fancied trying a villa. It's worked out well for us this year with being able to secure the flights so cheap.

Cairneyhill Jambo

For that type of holiday, I went to Cape Verde in 2015. Nice and relaxing, the hotel was great with soo much choice on food and drink. There wasn't overally much to do but it's what we wanted. We did do a quad tour round the island which was awesome.

On the downside they only fly from Manchester or London.

Thomsons have started their flights back to Cape Verde from Glasgow again.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Turkey for me

Went to Turkey last year and came home the day of the military coup. Wasn't sure if I'd make it home.

Lovely place but I'll be giving it a miss for a few years.

Went to Turkey last year and came home the day of the military coup. Wasn't sure if I'd make it home.

Lovely place but I'll be giving it a miss for a few years.

Been to Turkey every year for the last 15 or so. We have family there so its been a cheap holiday added on to the main holiday. We had a chat after the coup and the Istanbul bombings and decided the risk, although very small, wasn't worth taking when there are so many other destinations just as easy and cheap to get to.

I appreciate a terrorist attack is almost as likely on Ibiza or anywhere else in Europe but it just seemed like time to give it a miss.

We're splashing out on Dubai this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a good website for family package holidays - As cheap as possible but somewhere half decent for the kids (9 and 1)

Unfortunately the Mrs has been off work long term and no longer getting paid. We need a wee pick me up this summer but we don't have much disposable income at the minute.

jambogaz1968

Albufeira for the missus n me this June , booked flights through Ryanair and accommodation(fisherman's cottage on the seafront), through Airbnb . Can't wait, not been abroad for 3 years .

jambogaz1968

Looking for a good website for family package holidays - As cheap as possible but somewhere half decent for the kids (9 and 1)

Unfortunately the Mrs has been off work long term and no longer getting paid. We need a wee pick me up this summer but we don't have much disposable income at the minute.

If you are flexible you can pick up decent priced flights from Ryanair etc and good accommodation through Airbnb etc . 

Jambo 4 Ever

https://www.holidayhypermarket.co.uk

Jambo-Jimbo

Venice at the end of June for me and the misses, 4 nights, flying from Edinburgh with Jet2, Hotel is under a 5 minute walk from St. Marks Square.

Expensive place, but another one off the bucket list.

Салатные палочки

Maga on Monday for me.  Weeks all-inclusive.  

I say "Maga" as I am of course a party animal and looking forward to caning every night. 

:Aye:

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

We booked a holiday back in march but only sent the passport applications off last week.

Thankfully they arrived today though. 1 week to get them back including the Easter weekend. God bless her majesty's passport service!

Shanks said no

Been to Gran Canaria with Jet2 already this year and I was reasonably impressed, only wife and I and unusually went AI. Didn't really work for me as I feel too tied to the hotel and free bar.

We did about 15 years of AI and they were great value with kids and then before Egypt went pear shaped we holidayed there 3 times a year and were really well looked after. One hotel employed a boy to clean your sunglasses.

Now that its just the 2 of us we went back to Greece last year and holidayed like we did before the kids, beach in our own time, drink when we wanted, eat at a time and place of our choosing taking as long as we wanted. We realised it was much more to our liking. It costs more than AI though.

I have 4 more booked, Kalymnos / Telendos SC, Algarve SC, La Gomero SC and Montenegro AI

The_razors_edge

Heading off to santa ponsa 3 weeks on Monday AI for a fortnight with jet2. Been away with jet2 before and couldn't recommend them enough. First holiday in 2 1/2 years so looking forward to it- flying from Edinburgh too which is a bonus. Looking at going to the canaries in December too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor FinnBarr

Had a long weekend in Brussels in Feb followed by a weeks SC in Tenerife in March.

Back to Brussels next weekend then a week SC in Corfu in June then the one I'm really looking forward to, 14 nights AI in Mexico in October.

:2thumbsup:

scottish_chicP

Try Travel Republic. You pay a deposit then another payment with the final amount taken 2 weeks before you go. We booked for June for 11 nights in Lanzarote through them.

Off to Puerto Pollensa at the end of May for 12 days with the wife, 4 year old and almost 2 year old its a great place for kids with good beaches and the sea doesnt get deep until you are a fair bit in so the kids can have a ball.

Booked through bookings.com so have an apartment with a decent pool.

Im looking forward to eating out as there are a few restaurants out there that are ace for local seafood.

Off to Cyprus on Sunday, staying at Louis Imperial beach AI In Paphos. Wasn't thinking of going however, as Travel & accom costs for a concert in London were around a grand for three nights Transport & hotel costs only, I said **** that, and got the above deal for just over ?1100 for two of us in total.

Reviews are brilliant so here's hoping. Re a previous poster who seemed to have a downer on using a package firm, each to their own, I've done both. 

Archived