Holiday 2017 advice

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

Hi folks, I know many folk have yet to have their summer holiday but I am seeking out the wise advice of JKB for our family holiday next year. 

We have two kids (6 and 11 months) and normally go for traditional UK seaside holidays. This year was Butlins Skegness and then onto Legoland at Windsor. 

However, the Mrs now wants to go abroad and go all inclusive. I havent been abroad on holiday since the 1980s, the Mrs much more recently but not for family holidays. 

Some of her pals are currently in Spain all inclusive and she thinks it would be cheaper and better for us to do something similar next year. 

I have looked online at the likes of Ice Lolly, Jet2, Thomas Cook & Thomsons and the cheapest 10 night stay anywhere was just under ?1800. Is this about the norm and if not, can anyone recommend websites and locations we should be looking at?

I am normally the organiser in the family but I am a bit out of my depth with this due to lack of knowledge and experience. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jambo-Jimbo

Did all inclusive in Cuba (Few years ago now)

Prices were on par with all inclusive in the Med, besides get in before the Americans ruin it.

Cheap as chips when you are there, well it was when we were there.

Did all inclusive in Cuba (Few years ago now)

Prices were on par with all inclusive in the Med, besides get in before the Americans ruin it.

Cheap as chips when you are there, well it was when we were there.

'Ruin it'. I'm not sure the people that have to struggle through life in Cuba would agree!

Hi folks, I know many folk have yet to have their summer holiday but I am seeking out the wise advice of JKB for our family holiday next year. 

We have two kids (6 and 11 months) and normally go for traditional UK seaside holidays. This year was Butlins Skegness and then onto Legoland at Windsor. 

However, the Mrs now wants to go abroad and go all inclusive. I havent been abroad on holiday since the 1980s, the Mrs much more recently but not for family holidays. 

Some of her pals are currently in Spain all inclusive and she thinks it would be cheaper and better for us to do something similar next year. 

I have looked online at the likes of Ice Lolly, Jet2, Thomas Cook & Thomsons and the cheapest 10 night stay anywhere was just under ?1800. Is this about the norm and if not, can anyone recommend websites and locations we should be looking at?

I am normally the organiser in the family but I am a bit out of my depth with this due to lack of knowledge and experience. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Book your own flights then use Booking.com for accommodation. We use this company maybe six or seven times a year and they are brilliant.

'All inclusive' definitely does not mean cheapest.

Jambo-Jimbo

'Ruin it'. I'm not sure the people that have to struggle through life in Cuba would agree!

What I mean is, once McDonald's and the likes ruin the old world charm of places like central Havana.

Will only be time before the first McDonald's opens up.

Carl Fredrickson

Book your own flights then use Booking.com for accommodation. We use this company maybe six or seven times a year and they are brilliant.

'All inclusive' definitely does not mean cheapest.

Cheers. I think the Mrs was concerned about the amount spent on food and drink and sundries in our most recent UK holiday, I have no experience of booking foreign holidays so I appreciate the advice. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Cheers. I think the Mrs was concerned about the amount spent on food and drink and sundries in our most recent UK holiday, I have no experience of booking foreign holidays so I appreciate the advice. 

It's easy, I've done it for several city breaks, flights with Easyjet, Jet2, Ryanair etc, then book hotel with booking.com, travel republic, hotels.com, trivago etc etc etc.

One piece of advice, make sure the companies you use are ATOL or ABTA protected and if possible pay by credit card because you have more protection in case they go bust.

Don't mess around then mate. Go to thomsons or one of the other big boys. Do some research and some sums. Work out the best deal in a resort that your family likes the look of and book it. Let them do all the work until you are more confident.

?1800 for 10 days all inc for 4 of you is on the cheap side. Make sure it's a hotel and resort you REALLY want before you book it.

Anything up to around ?2100 is a good place to start looking I'd say. Depends on your budget obviously.

Last time we did all inc we spent less than ?200 in extras between 4 of us.

scottish_chicP

We were in Lanzarote in June and going back in October. Wouldn't bother paying for all inclusive as there are so many good restaurants and it's so cheap to eat out/drink.

What I mean is, once McDonald's and the likes ruin the old world charm of places like central Havana.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went myself a couple of years ago because I wanted to see it before it changed. Wasn't a dig, more just that having been there and seen how they have to live I think when people say it'll be 'ruined' it's a bit of a poor choice of word.

Dagger Is Back

I guess it all depends on what you want from your holiday. Your 11 month old is hardly likely to eat/drink his own bodyweight so that leaves the three of you. AI is great when you have kids who are always thirsty and asking for juice/ice cream etc. Just send them up to the bar and none of this hand in your wallet all the time nonsense. Being able to go and get a coffee/drink whenever you want without handing over cash or even thinking about costs is brilliant.

Downsides are though that cheapest definitely doesn't mean best. It can get quite samey going to the same place night after night for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Having been to a few AI in the past, look at Trip Advisor and suss out what folks are saying, especially those with young families, and look for reviews around the time of year you're intending to go. Experiences in some places can differ quite a lot depending on high/low season etc.

We've been to AI before where there's been a choice of places you can eat during the day/evening. We've also been to one place last year in Fuerteventura where everything was in the one restaurant. By the end of the first week we were totally scunnered and ended up skipping breakfast, lunch, having a sandwich by the pool, and going out and paying in a restaurant which kinda defeats the purpose of AI. I like walking out at night and choosing somewhere to go and eat. AI mostly knocks that on the head.

Plus side re AI is no cooking and no visits to the local supermarket to buy stuff for breakfast or lunch or whatever.

Not sure this is really helpful but ?1800 for 10 days for the 4 of you seems unbelievably cheap. I was looking for next year and was looking at well over ?4K for 2 weeks for the four of us although kids will be 18 and 15 by that time.

Mrs wants to go SC as she's fed up with the canteen style approach in AI. In saying that when you've got little ones sometimes you just want to get in, eat, and get out again and your used to eating at double speed!

Whatever you do avoid this place like the plague otherwise that's exactly what you may end up with http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Costa-Caleta/Hotel-Elba-Carlota-033594

One can only hope the Brit-filled all-inclusive resorts retain that authentic, old world charm.

John Findlay

With children the age you have I would recommend Jet2 and somewhere in Spain. All inclusive would be ideal in that meals etc are all covered. Suggest your wife arranges this one as she had more upto date knowledge. Defo go AOL and ABTA protected after recent events. I suggest Spain as it is child friendly and most flights are 3hrs long. If you can try and get from Edinburgh if it is your nearest airport.

Carl Fredrickson

I guess it all depends on what you want from your holiday. Your 11 month old is hardly likely to eat/drink his own bodyweight so that leaves the three of you. AI is great when you have kids who are always thirsty and asking for juice/ice cream etc. Just send them up to the bar and none of this hand in your wallet all the time nonsense. Being able to go and get a coffee/drink whenever you want without handing over cash or even thinking about costs is brilliant.

Downsides are though that cheapest definitely doesn't mean best. It can get quite samey going to the same place night after night for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Having been to a few AI in the past, look at Trip Advisor and suss out what folks are saying, especially those with young families, and look for reviews around the time of year you're intending to go. Experiences in some places can differ quite a lot depending on high/low season etc.

We've been to AI before where there's been a choice of places you can eat during the day/evening. We've also been to one place last year in Fuerteventura where everything was in the one restaurant. By the end of the first week we were totally scunnered and ended up skipping breakfast, lunch, having a sandwich by the pool, and going out and paying in a restaurant which kinda defeats the purpose of AI. I like walking out at night and choosing somewhere to go and eat. AI mostly knocks that on the head.

Plus side re AI is no cooking and no visits to the local supermarket to buy stuff for breakfast or lunch or whatever.

Not sure this is really helpful but ?1800 for 10 days for the 4 of you seems unbelievably cheap. I was looking for next year and was looking at well over ?4K for 2 weeks for the four of us although kids will be 18 and 15 by that time.

Mrs wants to go SC as she's fed up with the canteen style approach in AI. In saying that when you've got little ones sometimes you just want to get in, eat, and get out again and your used to eating at double speed!

Whatever you do avoid this place like the plague otherwise that's exactly what you may end up with http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Costa-Caleta/Hotel-Elba-Carlota-033594

Thanks DiB. Part of the issue I think is the Mrs wants the holiday to be a complete break  ie no cooking or dish washing. (which AL can provide but research will need to be done into what the resort/hotel offers)

I would be happy with half board and eating out but the Mrs is pushing for AL to save on the juice/ice lollies/bevvy costs. Trying to talk her round to see that good budgeting could be the answer but I think with her friends going AL this year, she has had her head turned.

Carl Fredrickson

With children the age you have I would recommend Jet2 and somewhere in Spain. All inclusive would be ideal in that meals etc are all covered. Suggest your wife arranges this one as she had more upto date knowledge. Defo go AOL and ABTA protected after recent events. I suggest Spain as it is child friendly and most flights are 3hrs long. If you can try and get from Edinburgh if it is your nearest airport.

Thanks JF. All what you say is what I have been looking at tonight! Edinburgh is our nearest airport and the wife knows a bit of Spanish which will help as I am very ignorant of other languages. 

If I let the wife organise it my credit card would be weeping under the strain as she would book what looks best without factoring costs :raging:

I used to know a travel agent years ago but lost contact with them. They could have come in handy just now...

Dagger Is Back

Thanks DiB. Part of the issue I think is the Mrs wants the holiday to be a complete break  ie no cooking or dish washing. (which AL can provide but research will need to be done into what the resort/hotel offers)

I would be happy with half board and eating out but the Mrs is pushing for AL to save on the juice/ice lollies/bevvy costs. Trying to talk her round to see that good budgeting could be the answer but I think with her friends going AL this year, she has had her head turned.

Totally understandable. It is great being able to leave all of that to someone else and not having to be thinking about the cost of all these things as Junior asks for one thing after another - presuming he's like ours that is!

Best bet I think is for you to use the likes of Thomson, First Choice etc. Added benefit of lots of these places is having kids clubs for your 6 year old too if that's something you'd benefit from.

Carl Fredrickson

Sorry to quote you again and thanks for the advice. The reviews for this on TA make it look good and from that I would consider it as an option. I assume you had a bad experience?

This is what I see as a pitfall  - TA is good to a point but recommendations and advice from others is also helpful

Just spent a couple of soul destroying hours on Travel Republic.  :sob:

The only AI I have been to in Europe is the Hotel Bali in Benalmedena, Costa Del Sol and for what it is it is decent. Generally I think the standard is way down on what you would get at an AI in the Caribbean, but I'm not sure what the price differences would be.

Dagger Is Back

Sorry to quote you again and thanks for the advice. The reviews for this on TA make it look good and from that I would consider it as an option. I assume you had a bad experience?

This is what I see as a pitfall  - TA is good to a point but recommendations and advice from others is also helpful

Just spent a couple of soul destroying hours on Travel Republic.  :sob:

I feel your pain. You're paying a lot of money so you want to make sure you get it as right as you can. It's worth the effort though. Have sent you a PM re that Elba place. We're all different with different standards and expectations but in saying that I know what I saw and what our experience was. You're spot on about TA though. You just got to look at the reviews and weigh it all up.

Tommy Brown

Stepladdie and 11 mates are going to Shagaluf next week and booked AI.

Says he has paid ?600 for 10 days. So, I looked it up on TripAdvisor and got entirely what I expected.

This "family" hotel that caters for hens & stags and is going to make T in the Park look like a Sunday school picnic.

We used to go AI to the Marina Skorpios Hotel in Majorca, very nice hotel and proper family atmosphere. It was always reasonably priced.

No problem Carl.

They are a very good company.

Michael_Jackson

I would recommend Salou. All inclusive, not the llongest flight and you have the theme park and waterpark on your doorstep.

The only AI I have been to in Europe is the Hotel Bali in Benalmedena, Costa Del Sol and for what it is it is decent. Generally I think the standard is way down on what you would get at an AI in the Caribbean, but I'm not sure what the price differences would be.

Im in Benalmadena now in the Siroco, and would definitely recommend it. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old and they have loved it. Half board - the food is very good and we are always out over lunch time anyway so all is good.

Just back this morning from 2 weeks all inclusive in Tenerife.

Went with jet2 for the first time and I would highly recommend them, also our hotel was first class.

• 8 months later...
Jambo 4 Ever

Just a bump to see if anyone has good tips of where to go - beach holiday in July/August time?

cheers

Albania (I'm not joking)

Downside is have to fly london to Tirana

Or fly to Greece and travel in.

Tremendous. There's a few resorts near coast if that's your thing. Lots of historic sights and beautiful landscapes if you like a wee bit sight seeing.

You will live like an absolute king if you don't mind the extra hassle of getting there.

Steak dinner and a beer was about ?3.50, tremendous

Also after suffering with poverty for a long time the locals are casting eyes to their neighbours and seeing what tourism can do, they want on the band wagon and visitors are treated well.

Albania is not at all as you'd imagine. Despite it's troubles they actually had an extremely good education system.

There are still people living traditionally or farming in small villages but it's not a backwater like some may lead you to believe.

Samuel Camazzola

Just a bump to see if anyone has good tips of where to go - beach holiday in July/August time?

cheers

What sort of things are you looking for? What board basis appeals to you? Does the holiday include taking kids or going as a couple etc...?

Dean Winchester

I would recommend Salou. All inclusive, not the llongest flight and you have the theme park and waterpark on your doorstep.

We stayed in the El Paso hotel last September onsite at Porta Ventura and thought it was well worth the money.

Theme park and water park tickets included. Food selection was great, beer was the local Estrella which was fine for me and the other half was happy with the wine and cocktails. Pool area was massive and they had decent snacks poolside all day.

Also got Barcelona just an hour away on the train.

Don't ask me for holiday advice. I've just booked 5 nights in Cascais (Portugal) with the Mrs and 2 year old at a cost of ?2k. Going for a wedding, hence the short trip.

Jambo 4 Ever

What sort of things are you looking for? What board basis appeals to you? Does the holiday include taking kids or going as a couple etc...?

Relaxing holiday rather than city break... preferably near beach

All inclusive so we have option to stay at hotel...

Decent restaurants etc near by.

Just me and mrs going this time - no kids

Thanks

hmfc_liam06

I'm heading to Tenerife on Sunday.

?1200 for a family of 3, one weeks all inclusive.

Self catering wasn't much cheaper and AI is handy with having kids.

For that type of holiday, I went to Cape Verde in 2015. Nice and relaxing, the hotel was great with soo much choice on food and drink. There wasn't overally much to do but it's what we wanted. We did do a quad tour round the island which was awesome.

On the downside they only fly from Manchester or London.

Samuel Camazzola

Relaxing holiday rather than city break... preferably near beach

All inclusive so we have option to stay at hotel...

Decent restaurants etc near by.

Just me and mrs going this time - no kids

Thanks

Ibiza is worth considering if you've never been. Cala Llonga, Es Cana and Santa Eulalia all very nice and near each other. Santa Eulalia has a 'Restaurant Row' with lots of nice places to eat out. Regular flights from Edinburgh or Glasgow with Jet 2 so you could tailor the length of your stay to suit.

The island is not that big and if you fancied getting out and seeing more of it, it's easy to tour around.

Jambo-Jimbo

We stayed in the El Paso hotel last September onsite at Porta Ventura and thought it was well worth the money.

Theme park and water park tickets included. Food selection was great, beer was the local Estrella which was fine for me and the other half was happy with the wine and cocktails. Pool area was massive and they had decent snacks poolside all day.

Also got Barcelona just an hour away on the train.

We were staying at the Las Vegas hotel in September last year.

Did you do the Camp Nou or the Magic Fountains in Barcelona?

Jambo 4 Ever

Ibiza is worth considering if you've never been. Cala Llonga, Es Cana and Santa Eulalia all very nice and near each other. Santa Eulalia has a 'Restaurant Row' with lots of nice places to eat out. Regular flights from Edinburgh or Glasgow with Jet 2 so you could tailor the length of your stay to suit.

The island is not that big and if you fancied getting out and seeing more of it, it's easy to tour around.

Will check it out thanks...

Not too full of stag and hen parties then?

Will check it out thanks...

Not too full of stag and hen parties then?

Virtually nil in the areas mentioned. Love Cala llonga, small resort with a beautiful beach.

Samuel Camazzola

Virtually nil in the areas mentioned. Love Cala llonga, small resort with a beautiful beach.

I really enjoyed the water taxi from Cala Llonga to Santa Eulalia. You get some stunning views from that part of the island.

Thomson had an AI hotel there a few years back but I don't know if that's still the case.

I really enjoyed the water taxi from Cala Llonga to Santa Eulalia. You get some stunning views from that part of the island.

Thomson had an AI hotel there a few years back but I don't know if that's still the case.

Yeah the Thomson hotel is still there right next to the skytours hotel on the right hand side as you look out to the bay. We go to Cala llonga every year not as our main holiday but because we just love the area. Very relaxed holiday with San an just a taxi ride away if you fancy a mad night out.

Samuel Camazzola

Yeah the Thomson hotel is still there right next to the skytours hotel on the right hand side as you look out to the bay. We go to Cala llonga every year not as our main holiday but because we just love the area. Very relaxed holiday with San an just a taxi ride away if you fancy a mad night out.

It was 2010 I was there. A few nice restaurants with Casa Pedra one which stood out. The Mayfair bar was good too.

Looking at Portugal this year. Never been.

Any ideas ?

Obviously not " The Strip " as it's a family jaunt but some life !

North Berwick Jambo

Good choice , I live in Cala Llonga and I can highly recommend it & Santa Eul?ria. Most people think of Ibiza as a place full of stags and neds on the piss but you couldn't be more wrong. Only a small part of San Antonio ( the west end) is like that now and it has change quite a bit over the past few years. Flights are only 2hr 45mins from Edinburgh with Jet2 or Prestwick with Ryanair. ;)

Looking at Portugal this year. Never been.

Any ideas ?

Obviously not " The Strip " as it's a family jaunt but some life !

We're going to Albufeira in July, staying near the old town which is about 2 miles from the "strip", plenty of restaurants and bars in the old town but far enough away from the lager louts.

Also been to Cabanas which is a nice resort with a fantastic beach but there wasn't much there 7 years ago, might be better now but we had a car and there are some great places to visit nearby like Tavira.

Portugal is still one of the best destinations for value for money.

Samuel Camazzola

Good choice , I live in Cala Llonga and I can highly recommend it & Santa Eul?ria. Most people think of Ibiza as a place full of stags and neds on the piss but you couldn't be more wrong. Only a small part of San Antonio ( the west end) is like that now and it has change quite a bit over the past few years. Flights are only 2hr 45mins from Edinburgh with Jet2 or Prestwick with Ryanair. ;)

Is the Mayfair bar still on the go? The boy who ran it (Luke IIRC) was very sound.

I recall an upmarket place that catered for weddings etc and had its own private beach/cove. Can't remember its name but Kylie Minogue was there doing a photoshoot when I was there.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Just booked 10 days in Cala Galdana in Menorca for the family.

Taking our 5 year old and 9 month old away.

Jambo 4 Ever

Just booked 10 days in Cala Galdana in Menorca for the family.

Taking our 5 year old and 9 month old away.

Self catering?

North Berwick Jambo

Is the Mayfair bar still on the go? The boy who ran it (Luke IIRC) was very sound.

I recall an upmarket place that catered for weddings etc and had its own private beach/cove. Can't remember its name but Kylie Minogue was there doing a photoshoot when I was there.

Yes the Mayfair bar is still on the go, I spent many happy nights in there last summer after work as its about 50ft across the road from me next to The Pirates Bar and the Italian Valentinos. The private beach club is probably Amante just down the road from here at Sol den Serra.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Self catering?

Yes. Just think it'll give us more flexibility around feeding the wee ones.

Bit apprehensive about taking a 9 month old away but others have done it and don't seem to have too much bother.

Archived