Best Hearts History Book

s.kane

Any suggestions on a book covering the clubs history?

I've found a few online but want to see if anyone has read through any of the club books first

Carrick1874

London Hearts is where you need to be looking.

Gritty, Gallant, Glorious.

Briefly covers the clubs origins, then comprehensively from WW2 to 1997 (year of publication). Excellent read with great stats.

WorldChampions1902

The Definitive History of Heart of Midlothian by Alex Knight is a great book published in 2009. Then there is Albert Mackie's 1959 book, The Hearts - The Story of Heart of Midlothian FC. Another great read is Heart of Midlothian - A Pictorial History written in the 1980's by Speed, Blackwood and Smith. The rarest and probably the most iconic book is the small book published to celebrate the clubs Jubilee year written by William Reid, The Story of The Hearts 1874-1924.

All of these are out of print so you need to hunt out Amazon or online second hand book sellers. Expect to pay a hefty price for the last one listed.

Thanks for the tips so far, I've just got hold of the Gritty, Gallant, Glorious book on Amazon, ?5 all in.

I've also found the Albert Mackie book from ?30 to ?40 but I think I'll see how the first one is, it would be cool to have something as old as the Albert Mackie book though & I'm sure there's more accurate info being nearer to the year of foundation

Hearts Heritage

Gritty, Gallant, Glorious.

Briefly covers the clubs origins, then comprehensively from WW2 to 1997 (year of publication). Excellent read with great stats.

Stats are flawed. Lots of minor errors. Whilst it is a fine book it is obvious that no one did any cross checking on the statistics.

Bridge of Djoum

The Definitive History of Heart of Midlothian by Alex Knight is a great book published in 2009. Then there is Albert Mackie's 1959 book, The Hearts - The Story of Heart of Midlothian FC. Another great read is Heart of Midlothian - A Pictorial History written in the 1980's by Speed, Blackwood and Smith. The rarest and probably the most iconic book is the small book published to celebrate the clubs Jubilee year written by William Reid, The Story of The Hearts 1874-1924.

All of these are out of print so you need to hunt out Amazon or online second hand book sellers. Expect to pay a hefty price for the last one listed.

I just ordered A Pictorial History, $44. I had it years ago, then lost it somehow. Glad to have gotten a new one, price wasn't too bad.

Hearts Heritage

David Speed wrote a 'decade by decade' Club History on the Hearts website.

It got 'lost' when the club went to a new format on the website.

Hearts Heritage

According to Mackie the earliest Derby took place in 1875 before the first one we can find a record of (Xmas Day 1875)

p028.jpg

p029.jpg

I would love to have stuck my most hated players back into that early era, wimps like Ronaldo & Sergio Busquets really would have a reason to roll about

Салатные палочки

Agree that Gritty, Galant, Glorious is a great book.

This, although not full of stats or anything, pretty much covers all big games up to last year (when I got it).

aec844474bcde781db69c965e64e207f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

John Findlay

I have four copies of the Mackie book at home - it's the best written account of the early years in my opinion

I only have the one copy. But, agree with you re the early years.

I only have the one copy. But, agree with you re the early years.

If this is the ALBERT MAckie book, then I have that too.

These only cover a certain season but are a good read none the less.

19088689f9a34abfef931c05eefa848f.jpg

The late, great John Fairgrieve, proper journalist.

More recently, A Tale of Two Seasons is a great account of our recent relegation and subsequent record breaking journey back to the top flight.

According to Mackie the earliest Derby took place in 1875 before the first one we can find a record of (Xmas Day 1875)

p028.jpg

p029.jpg

Hibs fans cheating by pushing the goal posts together when Hearts were attacking.

How will they ever live this down...

These only cover a certain season but are a good read none the less.

19088689f9a34abfef931c05eefa848f.jpg

Picked up the Glorious Hearts on Amazon for ?0.01 (+ postage)

The other 2 are also smashing.

Pre ordered the "this day in Hearts" so looking forward to that dropping through the letterbox.

• 2 weeks later...

These only cover a certain season but are a good read none the less. 19088689f9a34abfef931c05eefa848f.jpg

I had the outer two in the photo. Glorious Hearts if I remember right, had match reports from each game, written chronologically. We had a bookcase outside the bathroom and I was about 6 years old. It was that or Oor Wullie albums. Wullie did win sometimes.

I read it as if it was real time, because I didn't know what had happened. Started at page one. John Colqhoun signed for ?35k or something like that from Celtic. We had a terrible start and I thought "we'll be going down then". Didn't occur to me that nobody would write a book about that. Then we won all those games and I thought "we're going to do this!" Wrong again.

I think "The Boys in Maroon" had the words of the Hearts song printed just inside. I memorised it and belted it out at my first game. I did pick up the Billy Boys at said first game but we'll leave that for now.

Also

"The works" on princes st (next to bhs)

Has paperback copies of Doddie, Alex Mcdonalds autobiography for ?3 if anyone is interested.

Im in early stages but relatively good so far.

Despite missing his entire era as was not born yet he is a fairly significant part of our history so worth a read Im hoping

TyphoonJambo

We are not mentioned by name  in "Maribou Stork Nightmares" and its not a history book but the seethe towards us from that skanky druggy Irvine Welsh is palpable, its also a good book. If not a tad wierd.

Archived