Pitch

Serge Pizzorno

An extra metre or two in width wouldn't have done much for our performance tonight, even if it is that little bit tighter and more congested.

Samuel Camazzola

Looked a touch too long and needed to be soaked befote the game. Passes seem to drag on the surface.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Said this on another thread.

Celtic Park last season, we played excellent on a bigger pitch.

Jambof3tornado

Looked a touch too long and needed to be soaked befote the game. Passes seem to drag on the surface.

Was watered before each half.

Luscious Laryea

No excuse at all for our utter shiteness tonight, the pitch was absolutely fine

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Said this on another thread.

Celtic Park last season, we played excellent on a bigger pitch.

got absolutely rogered dry, I mean totally bent over and used by Celtic that day

Pitch looked good tonight.

Our performance, however, didn't.

Brave Hearts

Players can't seem to pass to our other players in a narrow park...what the hell would it be like with a wider and bigger park. Get the basics right first

Jambof3tornado

A token sprinkling. Not a proper soaking.

Thought the grass was a bit long to be honest.

Good god , there is not a toss we can do about it, it's been like that for years...........

Pitch didn't look great in the Gorgie/Wheatfield corner. Going to be in a state later in the season .

Pitch is far to small. Hope it is widened when the main stand is rebuilt

We have the wrong grass at Tynecastle. FFS how the **** can we no have the right grass? Totaljokeandadisgracepurelaughingstockpoodleandbudgeoot. It'll be totally sorted out pure an proper when we have fan ownership 'cos I've paid a negligible amount of money and should run the show 'cos I'd do things differently and therefore better. Some other **** agrees with me.

lost in space

We play a team who are fitter than us - probably due to them playing more games than us recently - who are faster and better at passing the ball and we water the pitch at half time, to give them a bigger advantage!  FFS! 

Is there anybody at Tynecastle at the moment who has the first clue?????

Did the ground staff ask the coaches at HT - "do you want us to make the pitch slicker???"  NO - I dont think so.

A small matter - but an example how the club is being run below Ann Budge's remit.  Communication is as bad off the pitch as it is on,

If only there was some kind of way we could alter the pitch slightly to accommodate playing a bit wider.  Pfft i dunno, maybe like a large stadium redevelopment like a new stand that could incorporate  this slightly wider pitch.. 

hughesie27

Pitch is far to small. Hope it is widened when the main stand is rebuilt

It won't be.

Far too narrow for how we wish to play

How does Robbie wish to play - because many of us (and it looks like some of the players) have no idea

If only there was some kind of way we could alter the pitch slightly to accommodate playing a bit wider. Pfft i dunno, maybe like a large stadium redevelopment like a new stand that could incorporate this slightly wider pitch..

We can't widen the pitch without also shortening it and causing restricted view areas in the end stands.

got absolutely rogered dry, I mean totally bent over and used by Celtic that day

Single fish. Hearts did play well that day.

Should've been more in front before we opened the doors at the back.

I'm not the biggest Neilson fan but sometimes it's ok to say your team played well in defeat no matter how much it's about winning at the end of the day.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Single fish. Hearts did play well that day.

Should've been more in front before we opened the doors at the back.

I'm not the biggest Neilson fan but sometimes it's ok to say your team played well in defeat no matter how much it's about winning at the end of the day.

attempted to win the midfield at the expense of everything else

after Celtic went 3-1 up not one song (not even a bigoted one) came from the hearts end because it was obvious there was zero chance of getting anything out that game - zero chance - and that was with a full 40 minutes left

totally rogered, no chance of winning, players hung out to dry

robroy1874

Does the new design of the main stand replacement allow for a metre or two widening?

Does the new design of the main stand replacement allow for a metre or two widening?

No.

As you can see in the photo above, if you widen the pitch, the corner support for the stand would be hard up against the corner flag. This would never be allowed.

Jambof3tornado

Our wide players never hug the sidelines anyway so the pitch width makes no odds.

Well someone needs to inform Robbie/Craig that is where we will play approx 50% of our games every season.

siegementality

If only there was some kind of way we could alter the pitch slightly to accommodate playing a bit wider.  Pfft i dunno, maybe like a large stadium redevelopment like a new stand that could incorporate  this slightly wider pitch..

If only there was some kind of way that we could play on that pitch, like 100's of Hearts teams before us did. I'm sure The Terrible Trio had the same trouble!

siegementality

Do you really think a couple of feet either side will make any difference? Some players can't pass to a player three feet away from them in the middle of the park so I think you are clutching at straws.

Samuel Camazzola

Thought the grass was a bit long to be honest.

My thinking too. Passes from both teams dragged a bit.

FC Infonet players managed to find hundreds of space in wide areas the other night.

We are just crap, nothing to do with the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's not the pitch that's the issue more the style of our play and lack of movement in the central areas. We don't move the ball quickly enough to the wide areas or get the ball in behind defenders quickly enough.

We have two big strikers and the ball is hardly ever crossed in for them to attack all to often the ball goes to them with their backs to goal.

Our wingers flatter to deceive unable to go outside a defender and whip crosses in for the strikers. On Thursday how many times did Nicholson or King get beyond their full backs and put crosses in?

Robbie knows the size of our pitch and should have a gameplan to suit.

I really don't understand how we can come out and play the way we did against Aberdeen in the cup game last season and then play the way we have since.

It can only be down to the Manager's tactics. I know it is the first competetive game of the season and fitness would not allow that high tempo pressing game but still I am very disappointed that we seem to not be moving forward from our poor end to the season.

Bungalow Bill

If only there was some kind of way that we could play on that pitch, like 100's of Hearts teams before us did. I'm sure The Terrible Trio had the same trouble!

You clearly don't appreciate that the pitch is smaller since the ground was developed.

In fact before the redevelopment Tynecastle had one of the biggest pitches in the league. Billy McNeil referenced it in his autobiography.

Bungalow Bill

Do you really think a couple of feet either side will make any difference? Some players can't pass to a player three feet away from them in the middle of the park so I think you are clutching at straws.

A couple of feet is different to a couple of meters.

I really don't understand how we can come out and play the way we did against Aberdeen in the cup game last season and then play the way we have since.

It can only be down to the Manager's tactics. I know it is the first competetive game of the season and fitness would not allow that high tempo pressing game but still I am very disappointed that we seem to not be moving forward from our poor end to the season.

No it can't, it can be down to a number of things. 

Players with niggling injures. Players not trying a leg. Players losing form. Players not doing what they are told. Lapses in concentration. Lack of commitment since Europe was skooshed.

Do you think Neilson tells them to go out and spray some stray passes around, not bother making runs into space, or blooter the ball aimlessly forwards?

siegementality

A couple of feet is different to a couple of meters.

We could build a pitch in the middle of the Sahara Desert and it would make little difference. Some of the players and tactics simply aren't very good.

Francis Albert

You clearly don't appreciate that the pitch is smaller since the ground was developed.

In fact before the redevelopment Tynecastle had one of the biggest pitches in the league. Billy McNeil referenced it in his autobiography.

Correct. Pre-redevelopment Tynecastle was wider than Hampden and McNeil enjoyed playing there becauuse it felt "spacious".

Stephen Muddie

We can never ever ever have an international size pitch guys.

Never ever.

DxB Hearts

From what I can find the pitch at Tynecastle is 107 x 74 yards.

The pitch at Easter Road is 112 x 74.

Celtic park is 115 x 75.

The pitch isn't the problem; the gap between the pitch and the stands is UEFAs issue and as for footballing reasons - we don't have any plan on how to play so doesn't really matter.

We've got a short pitch but not a narrow one.

No it can't, it can be down to a number of things.

Players with niggling injures. Players not trying a leg. Players losing form. Players not doing what they are told. Lapses in concentration. Lack of commitment since Europe was skooshed.

Do you think Neilson tells them to go out and spray some stray passes around, not bother making runs into space, or blooter the ball aimlessly forwards?

Steady on, I posted something similar the other day, and it didn't go down well on here.

It's entirely Robbie's fault.

Cruyff Turn

Agree with OP. A bigger pitch would make us a more successful side against the OF, in Europe and on any occasion that we play games a Hampden, simply because we'd get used to things like our distances between each other in defence being able to play a more expansive game and giving our players more space which would count against poorer sides.

Bearing in mind that you play 50% of your games on your own pitch - how stupid would you need to be to set up a playing style which didn't work on your very own home pitch???

If it is the case we've done that, its utter stupidity.

I suspect however, blaming the size of the pitch is just a convenient excuse for the fact we weren't very good.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Celtic park is 115 x 75.

The pitch isn't the problem; the gap between the pitch and the stands is UEFAs issue and as for footballing reasons - we don't have any plan on how to play so doesn't really matter.

It is a shame that when the Wheatfield was constructed the Whisky bonds behind it were still in place and we had to move the pitch eastwards to fit it in losing some width even taking into account we took out some rows in the old enclosures. If we had secured a little bit of land from the distillers and knew the bonds were going anyway back then it would have been better for club but that's water under the bridge now.

Celtic park is 115 x 75.

Tynecastle is not 74 yards wide. It is around 69 yards.

Archived