Pre-season friendlies this summer?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Just noticed on Facebook that Hibs have announced a pre-season friendly with Edinburgh City at Meadowbank, I'd be right there if we did the same.

Someone on another thread mentioned the possibility of Newcastle away and Fleetwood at home, could be interesting. Anyone heard anything else?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Beni of Gorgie

I suppose a lot hinges on Euro involvement. Get through a couple of rounds and they will be tough to fit in.

Posted previously.

Seeming Fleetwood at Tynie. Last Sat in July I think????

Heard this morning Newcastle away but personally I'm doubtful this will/can happen.

Doubt Newcastle away will happen. They will probably not have any home friendlies unless it is against bigger / foreign opposition.

Back to 2005

Fleetwood Mac gig at Tynie? Better than fish for sure :)

Probably lies or a rumour...

Fleetwood at home sounds honking.

Newcastle away sounds great.

The return of Mr Pressley.

:jjyay:

Footballfirst

Civil service strollers. Probably not a full first team.

Tuesday 12th July.  As you say, it will probably be the U20s.  It will give them some much needed match practice in advance of the new Challenge Cup format.

Note that CSS have just been admitted to the Lowland League.

tartofmidlothian

I don't think we're going to have any friendlies. Straight into QF1.

Isn't the next round the end of July? We'll have to squeeze some in between them, although the Euro games will mean fewer friendlies.

Isn't the next round the end of July? We'll have to squeeze some in between them, although the Euro games will mean fewer friendlies.

Nah, as soon as the qualifiers start games are every week until the play offs where there's a week break:

QF1 30 Jun / 7 Jul

QF2 14 Jul / 21 Jul

QF3 28 Jul / 4 Aug

'Playoffs' 18 Aug / 25 Aug

There has been talk of closed door game or two while Hearts are up at St Andrews for a week towards end of month

Imagine the celebrations in the fleetwood dugout if they beat us? Prick would treat it like the champions league final, chest thumping galore

portobellojambo1

http://www.fairydeanrovers.co.uk/club/274524/News/view/917302

25 June, 3pm k.o., at Netherdale, on their 3G pitch.

I'd expect Hearts to field an U20 or other young side.

Just going by one or two things Robbie said about the pre season plans up at St Andrews I took from that, rightly or wrongly, that the squad will play a couple of closed door games while there. But the only  friendlies would involve the U20 squad and the first team pool would go straight from training to the first of the qualifying games on 30 June. Suppose it is possible that if we go out of the Europa League early doors they may then have an opportunity to arrange a friendly before the league campaign kicks off for the new season.

J Cheever Loophole

A game away to Rotherham, ?2 a pint, 90p a nip and 5 loyalty points. Braw.

tartofmidlothian

Nah, as soon as the qualifiers start games are every week until the play offs where there's a week break:

QF1 30 Jun / 7 Jul

QF2 14 Jul / 21 Jul

QF3 28 Jul / 4 Aug

Feck me, I didn't realise. Now that's a schedule. When we back in training, next week?

Doctor FinnBarr

QF1 30 Jun / 7 Jul

QF2 14 Jul / 21 Jul

QF3 28 Jul / 4 Aug

Wonder what bright spark thought it a good idea to play the 2nd leg of QF1 on the same night as the Euro final?

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Wonder what bright spark thought it a good idea to play the 2nd leg of QF1 on the same night as the Euro final?

Euro final is on Sunday 10th July?

Doctor FinnBarr

Euro final is on Sunday 10th July?

Thought I'd seen it one the Uefa site as being on the 7th, oops

BRAVEHEART1874

With the Arabs training in St. Andrews university sports complex and hearts probably just along the road at station road rugby park beside the old course hotel (sorry no planes allowed the RAF are away) l it wouldn't be hard to arrange a wee bounce game sometime in the wee sevco loving toon ;)

Maybe I can spot the phoodle whilst going tae the golf and ask him what he thinks of his budgement season ;)

Dont have link to hand.

But a couple of closed doors are happening end of month (pre europe) but because of europe cant confirm anything despite.alot of clubs asking to play us.

In e.e.n today

Footballfirst

Nothing as yet confirmed for the first team.

The U20s have Gala and CSS confirmed, but fixtures against Bonnyrigg, Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Stenhousemuir, Kelty, Dunbar and one other are in the tbc category.

...a bit disco
Robbie in the EEN.

EUROPEAN commitments are forcing Hearts to put pre-season plans on hold, head coach Robbie Neilson revealed today.

The club are unable to arrange proper friendlies due to their involvement in the Europa League qualifiers, which start at the end of the month.

Neilson would much prefer an extended run in Europe over the prospect of not being involved at that level. He explained that means organising summer matches becomes impossible.

Hearts enter the Europa League first qualifying round on June 30, with the second leg the following week on July 7. The second qualifying round takes place on July 14 and 21, and the third on July 28 and August 4. The play-off round for the group stage is then due on August 18 and 25.

The possibility of a hectic schedule means Neilson and his coaching staff cannot plan any further than the first qualifying round for now. Hearts report for pre-season training next Wednesday, June 15, and will spend a week training in St Andrews from June 19 to prepare for their Europa League adventure.

?Because of the European game, it?s quite difficult organising pre-season,? said Neilson. ?We have a couple of closed-door games later this month but then we?ll just be taking games as they come along. It all depends how we do in Europe.

?We can?t really commit to many games in case we have European ties on a Thursday night. As pre-season progresses, we?ll assess where we are. We?ve had loads of requests from teams wanting to play us. As the pre-season progresses, we?ll decide whether it?s a big game we go for or a slightly lesser one. It will depend what squad the other team has got.?

Thought I'd seen it one the Uefa site as being on the 7th, oops

our first leg games clash with a Euro Quarter and Semi final

We do have the option of postponing a league game

Celtic playing Inter Milan the second weekend which of course will be an away game inconveniencing the other team

Aberdeen did it last year but that was to get a break not for a pre season game

mahgrassyshoes

We do have the option of postponing a league game

Celtic playing Inter Milan the second weekend which of course will be an away game inconveniencing the other team

Aberdeen did it last year but that was to get a break not for a pre season game

I always wish that each the clubs would arrange a friendly to coincide with their game against Celtic so that they get a massive backlog of fixtures. Might put an end to another rule setup, largely, for the benefit of the Old Firm; and more specifically Celtic.

I always wish that each the clubs would arrange a friendly to coincide with their game against Celtic so that they get a massive backlog of fixtures. Might put an end to another rule setup, largely, for the benefit of the Old Firm; and more specifically Celtic.

That would be a great idea, but I'm sure the Strathclyde Football Association would have a rule that if it was not played within a certain period then Celtic would be awarded a 3-0 victory.

Footballfirst

Nothing as yet confirmed for the first team.

The U20s have Gala and CSS confirmed, but fixtures against Bonnyrigg, Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Stenhousemuir, Kelty, Dunbar and one other are in the tbc category.

It appears that Wee Hearts (Kelty) has been confirmed for 19th July.

Ck_MiH5XEAAyfpY.jpg

There has been talk of closed door game or two while Hearts are up at St Andrews for a week towards end of month

Closed door games were easier when we had Locke. Boom! Close thread.

Doubt Newcastle away will happen. They will probably not have any home friendlies unless it is against bigger / foreign opposition.

We are bigger and foreign......lol

tartofmidlothian

Only a couple of weeks until kick off, there's bound to be something happening before that, even if it's closed-door.

Futurejambo1

Heard today that Hearts will travel to East End Park on 9th July for a friendly v the Pars. Always a good day out. Suppose depends on Europe as to strength of team we will send over the bridge.

Imagine the celebrations in the fleetwood dugout if they beat us? The Legend would treat it like the champions league final, chest thumping hero

ftfy

Surely fleetwood away and Newcastle at home would make more sense?

As confident as I am about the first 2 rounds, it'd be a bit senseless to not have some lined up. Lower league opposition with an Under 20 side, and potentially a couple of first teamers should suffice.

Footballfirst

Correct, it's a closed doors game though.

It will be extremely difficult to close the doors on St Andrew University playing fields if the game is being played there.

Archived