Rashford makes England debut at 18 tonight and scores in 2mins 8 seconds

CJGJ

Can't beat that for a start at that level and only his 19th top class game as well

Youngest ever England goalscorer

I'm not sure who this guy plays for or even heard of him but what I will say is why we (Scotland) never come up with gems like this. I'm also aware we only number 6m or so but not even with obscure relatives do we ever find these guys.

jamtartan74

The boy looks a real talent, every time I have watched United he has stood out. Think he is the real deal.

Ibrahim Tall

I'm not sure who this guy plays for or even heard of him but what I will say is why we (Scotland) never come up with gems like this. I'm also aware we only number 6m or so but not even with obscure relatives do we ever find these guys.

"Never" is an exaggeration. Dalglish, Gemmill, Jinky Johnstone, Law, Baxter, Souness etc. We've probably produced far more top players than most similar sized countries, problem is we produced far more than our fair share in the 60/70/80's(still achieving f all)and its balancing out now.

part_time_jambo

We never come up with gems like this because there only so many players Celtic and Rangers can field, and most are not Scottish anyway.

Ibrahim Tall

is Skippy not involved these days?

Their China based players aren't in 'this' squad.

"Never" is an exaggeration. Dalglish, Gemmill, Jinky Johnstone, Law, Baxter, Souness etc. We've probably produced far more top players than most similar sized countries, problem is we produced far more than our fair share in the 60/70/80's(still achieving f all)and its balancing out now.

I'm mean recently, but these guys you named span decades. I can't think of one player who has burst on the scene in the last decade and set the Heather alight. I get what you say about the 60s and up to the 80s but I'm hopeful someone will turn up especially in maroon ;)

luckyBatistuta

Great start for him and now the English media will go into overdrive again. Probably try and make out that he's worth at least 3040 million now.

He's going to France for the Euros then.

Hodgson did well to put him in. Amazing how first Martial at United now Sturridge at England let him in with injuries.

Toxteth O'Grady

I'm mean recently, but these guys you named span decades. I can't think of one player who has burst on the scene in the last decade and set the Heather alight. I get what you say about the 60s and up to the 80s but I'm hopeful someone will turn up especially in maroon ;)

How often do you see kids having an informal kick about ?

The Future's Maroon

Great start for him and now the English media will go into overdrive again. Probably try and make out that he's worth at least 3040 million now.

Just said similar to a mate, the media will have him labelled the next big thing (Owen/Rodney)...yes I will say he has had a remarkable couple of months and good on the laddie.

I just hope he keeps his feet on the ground and the media let him develop and not expect him to win the Euros for them.

Rarely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ibrahim Tall

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely. I'm 27 and the 'best' player Scotland has probably had in my lifetime is John Collins ffs, even someone of similar age in Finland or Wales has atleast seen the likes of Jari Litmanen or Bale. Previous generations in Scotland were spoiled.

He'll be ruined by the age of 23 by all the pressure and hype he'll get placed on him to win world cups singlehandedly.

peter_hmfc

Good thread title. Clear, descriptive and to the point.

Would read again.

The sad thing is you know his agent will be on the phone to Man U in the morning demanding this kid is given a new contract to the tune of 80k per week or he'll offer him to City or Chelsea!!

andsoitbegins

Boys Club/grassroots level football gets very little help to survive up here, and that's before you factor in that a lot of parents can't be arsed to stand on the sidelines in the pissing rain for their kids to play.

Couple that with the TOPBANTSLAD culture the few kids that stick it out are going to get exposed to when they are teens of beer, fags, Nandos, and Krispy Kreme and you're not getting raw talent on any big stage, let alone the kind that will set the world on fire.

The boy looks a real talent, every time I have watched United he has stood out. Think he is the real deal.

Van Gaal deserves a nod for fielding him to begin with.

jamtartan74

Van Gaal deserves a nod for fielding him to begin with.

lvg deserves a lot of credit for bringing through the youth this season, only time they looked decent was when the young players like him were giving a chance. Wonder if Jose will keep them in the side next season.

I saw a load of them at Hampden on Saturday :)

jack D and coke

Said that to my sister who's young lad is playing for a boys team now, he's 12 but he's absolutely pish. They train twice a week and I don't think he kicks a ball at any other time, spends the rest of his time playing GTA or COD online on the PlayStation.

I never made it either but I played football every single day of my life normally from morning to night and in all weathers.

We probably won't ever produce a real star again IMO for those reasons.

On the topic of Rashford though he certainly seems to have the little bit of magic needed to get goals. You can't teach it.

You actually don't see kids out playing football anymore eh, I've thought about it a few times driving past the bits we'd be playing football at for hours and hours nearly every day when i was a kid and I've never seen any kids having a big game or even a game of cuppy or someone hitting shots into his mate.

kingantti1874

lvg deserves a lot of credit for bringing through the youth this season, only time they looked decent was when the young players like him were giving a chance. Wonder if Jose will keep them in the side next season.

Really? They wouldn't have got near the side if he hadn't spunked ?250m on shit... It's not like he personally had anything to do with their development, he threw them in becuase he had nothing to lose..

You actually don't see kids out playing football anymore eh, I've thought about it a few times driving past the bits we'd be playing football at for hours and hours nearly every day when i was a kid and I've never seen any kids having a big game or even a game of cuppy or someone hitting shots into his mate.

It's where real future professionals really learn. I learned far more battering a ball off a wall for 6 hours than any thing a coach taught me.

William H. Bonney

Sadly a lot of these places I kicked a ball about are now houses.

loveofthegame

Can't beat that for a start at that level and only his 19th top class game as well

Youngest ever England goalscorer

Youngest ever debut goalscorer. 3rd youngest scorer. Said the commentators... Sorry to be nitpicky...

jamtartan74

Really? They wouldn't have got near the side if he hadn't spunked ?250m on shit... It's not like he personally had anything to do with their development, he threw them in becuase he had nothing to lose..

thats kind of my point, he blew loads of cash on so called superstars and only looked decent when the young players Borthwick Jackson that fossu mensah or whatever he's called as well, OK I get that he wasted shitloads of cash but imo deserves even just the smallest bit of credit for the amount of youngsters he gave debuts to, look it up there's about a dozen or so.

Michael_Jackson

It's where real future professionals really learn. I learned far more battering a ball off a wall for 6 hours than any thing a coach taught me.

Says a lot about your coaches.

broughies tach

Class move by Hodgson brining the keeper on with minutes to go What a great experience for the guy Doubt Chesney will even consider that with Jack Hamilton

I honestly don't think Scotland have had a genuine world class player since Souness. That's thirty years now without a real game-breaker. We made it to a number of finals in the Roxburgh/Brown era, but we did it with a team of decent players and no outstanding talent. Now most of our players are mediocre and we stopped qualifying years ago.

In that time, Wales have had two world class talents. Giggs was a bit wasted for Wales, but Bale is the major reason Wales are at the Euros and we're not.

Every year I hope a real new talent will come through. It never happens.

The Future's Maroon

Everything you just mentioned IS my childhood.

Big game of about 18 a side down the back of the flats at Hutchie/Moat.

Games of Curbie/footy tennis in the quiet (sometimes not) road/street.

I used to meet a mate and play five and your in for hours and hours on end in a wee grassy bit near our house.....its what kids done when I was young.

A bit off topic, see when going to visit folk on Christmas Day this lat couple of years I have been disgusted.....no sign of any kids in the street playing with thir new bike, new football, new golf club or whatever....now a days you see none as all stuck in their house on their ?400 consoles with th games at ?50 a time - it sickens me.

Phil Dunphy

I wonder how many of his coaches wanted him to just get stuck in?

The culture for football in Scotland is wrong at every level.

Ibrahim Tall

Class move by Hodgson bringing the keeper on with minutes to go What a great experience for the guy Doubt Chesney will even consider that with Jack Hamilton

Situations aren't comparable to be honest, Hodgson may have to rely on Heaton at a European championships so getting his "debut" and the pressure that comes with out of the way makes sense.

Hamilton on the other hand is already being done a massive service by Strachan for just being called up and getting to train the senior national team and gaining that experience given he hasn't actually done anything to merit the call up yet let alone play.

Mourinho will have him loaned out to West Brom or similar next season.

The Future's Maroon

WTF did Sturridge have in his nose :vrface:

I didn't see the incident your on about, but I have a few images in my head!!! 

Unknown user

Said that to my sister who's young lad is playing for a boys team now, he's 12 but he's absolutely pish. They train twice a week and I don't think he kicks a ball at any other time, spends the rest of his time playing GTA or COD online on the PlayStation.

I never made it either but I played football every single day of my life normally from morning to night and in all weathers.

We probably won't ever produce a real star again IMO for those reasons.

On the topic of Rashford though he certainly seems to have the little bit of magic needed to get goals. You can't teach it.

I've got to tell you, I laughed at that!

Rudolf's Mate

I didn't see the incident your on about, but I have a few images in my head!!!

:lol: it was something shiny and looked like a stud (earring type). Looked ****ing ridiculous.

jack D and coke

I've got to tell you, I laughed at that!

[emoji1] so he is they don't know how to play football. They have all the gear, his ?80 boots and he's got the wee diamond stud earring and all the pish to go with it but can't play for toffee man[emoji1]

He can gub me at FIFA 16 tho!

alwaysthereinspirit

We wouldn't play them even if we did uncover the little gems. Good enough, old enough is not in the Scottish international football vocabulary. We're a joke as far as international football goes.

Saw a kid, maybe 12-14, tapping a ball up the pavement as he walked home the other day and realised it's the first time in a long time I'd seen anyone like that. Even compared to 15-20 years ago we were all out with footballs all the time.

Archived