Your Favourite Memories Of The Main Stand

Jambos_1874

My first game in the main stand was the same as MT's. The Ayr United cup game and I spilt my juice at one of our goals :)

Favourite memory was the relegation party derby where the hibs fans were leaving through the disabled platform in the Roseburn. N upper going absolutely wild taunting them. The seethe from them was delicious.

Shooter McGavin

The skin being scraped off my shins the one and only time i've ever been in that stand. I never realised how old it was.

John Findlay

In the mid 70s for Hearts v Motherwell game. Sean Fallon the Motherwell keeper and remember him pulling the ball back from in the goal when it was at least 2 feet over the line goal side.

29th of September 1976. School side of the enclosure with my dad, for what I consider to be one of the greatest performances from Hearts team I have ever witnessed. Hearts 5 Lokmotive Lipzeig 1. Was right behind Jim Brown when his intended cross when straight into the net. A fantastic night.

Oneneilberry

First season ticket there with my grandad when I was about 8 ,used to love the feet stamping when we put on a bit pressure or got a corner.Best was the 4-2 cup game v Rangers (big DM solo run)never heard it louder

niblick1874

Not in the main stand much so not sure what the best memory is but the worst one was when Craig Levein went down right in front of me clutching his leg on his first game back after his first injury. I knew by the look on his face it was the same injury and that it would be months, if at all, before he would be back. It was against rangers and he had been bossing the game with Hearts all over them thanks to him. I will never forget the look on his face as he looked strait at me.

My first ever game I sat in the main stand, only time I ever have. Home game vs Motherwell. Robbo, Colquhoun, Mackay, MacPherson were all playing and Zico was on the bench. Can't remember who was manager back then, Tommy Mclean maybe?

My dad took me to a game when I was age 7 and we sat in the main stand, cant remember a thing about the game but the never forgot the pie at half time as we just didnt get many treats like that in the 1950's.

willie wallace

For my first ever Hearts game my Dad took me to the south stand, it wasn't very elaborate just a long narrow bench, no back no arms. As I got older and more used to games, we went to the terracing, which as a boy I went to with my friends. As an adult I started going to the North Enclosure, I had a preferred spot to stand about halfway up, and right at the tunnel wall. It was the same bunch of guys there every week, when I was working and walking the track we exchanged nods, and during games never mentioned my occupation. I spent many happy days in that spot, and often think of them,it will be strange to sit here and reminisce and realise when it happens that it all has gone. I often think of working at Tynecastle and looking up at the centre stand and my Dad in his seat a couple of rows behind the Directors box, I now realise the pride he must have felt seeing his son a policeman walking round the Park and him standing to give his laddie a wave, I am not sure he would have felt any better if I had been playing for Hearts, yes the old stand has memories for me, but nothing in life stays the same. All started for me over seventy years ago.[/quote

Hi Bob,I would just like to apologise for singing the Dixon of Dock Green song as you made your way around Tynecastle

A Shoreditch Heart

I was always on the terraces during the 70's and 80's and used to love just looking across the pitch at the stand and enclosure - the smoke and the noise and obviously the thrill when you saw the players emerge from beneath the crest and run out from the tunnel on to the pitch just before three o'clock.

I only entered the famous old structure a few times but I won't forget:

As a very young boy i sat in the stand at my first ever game on a Monday night around 1970 or 71 and watched us beat Celtic 1-0 to lift the Reserve League Cup.

My one and only time stood in the enclosure was for the Bayern game - one of the best nights ever!

Sadly the last time i sat in there was the 4-0 defeat from Kilmarnock on Boxing Day in the relegation season - possible one of the worst displays at Tynecastle since the late 1970's / early eighties.

I was luck enough to walk past it everyday for a couple of years on my way to school and hanging around after the game at the players entrance for autographs in the mid to late 70's was always special too.

Tommy Brown

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197011041.html

My oldest memory of Tyney, a Texaco QF against Airdrie (4/11/70), lost 3-2 but had won the first leg 5-0.

Just about to turn 8 years old, my dad had got complimentary tickets from the local Texaco garage owner.

Had a season ticket in n for a good few years before going back to the Wheatfield. A lot bloody warmer in there on cold days, wheatfield is bloody freezing. It was always a good atmosphere in n3, quite miss my seat there.

davemclaren

Remember that the metal and concrete bits are being re-used so a lot of it will still be there.

My first game was sat in that stand in 1965, as an 8 year old with my dad, to see Hearts win the League against Kilmarnock. That turned out well.

I also had a centre stand season ticket for several years prior to moving to the newly built Wheatfield.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Beating Celtic 3 0 to inch closer to the Champions league

As a 9 year old, towards end of each game, going from terrace into enclosure then up stairs into stand and then climbing into centre stand to go to press box for spare programmes.

At the 4-1 win v hibs in 1973 jumping up and cutting my hand on one of the metal posts at the back of the stand (maybe I was standing on a seat, but roof at the back wasn't that high)!!

indianajones

4-4 game. I was pretty young and was lifted into the air by a complete stranger.

Scenes! 

AlimOzturk

Best goal I ever saw from the main stand was Austin McCanns against Celtic. Knew it was in as soon as it left his boot.

The scenes after

:wow:

For my first ever Hearts game my Dad took me to the south stand, it wasn't very elaborate just a long narrow bench, no back no arms. As I got older and more used to games, we went to the terracing, which as a boy I went to with my friends. As an adult I started going to the North Enclosure, I had a preferred spot to stand about halfway up, and right at the tunnel wall. It was the same bunch of guys there every week, when I was working and walking the track we exchanged nods, and during games never mentioned my occupation. I spent many happy days in that spot, and often think of them,it will be strange to sit here and reminisce and realise when it happens that it all has gone. I often think of working at Tynecastle and looking up at the centre stand and my Dad in his seat a couple of rows behind the Directors box, I now realise the pride he must have felt seeing his son a policeman walking round the Park and him standing to give his laddie a wave, I am not sure he would have felt any better if I had been playing for Hearts, yes the old stand has memories for me, but nothing in life stays the same. All started for me over seventy years ago.[/quote

Hi Bob,I would just like to apologise for singing the Dixon of Dock Green song as you made your way around Tynecastle

It was worse when you whistled Zcars :sunny:

Apart from reserve games, the only game I remember being in the main stand was a Cup replay against Rangers when Donald Ford scored the winner near the end.

John Findlay

Apart from reserve games, the only game I remember being in the main stand was a Cup replay against Rangers when Donald Ford scored the winner near the end.

Quarter final 1968.

I'm gonna pick probably my top three.

1) - Hearts vs Dundee Utd in 1992. Why? Cos this was my first ever game. Walking up the stairs and coming over the brow in to the family enclosure for the first time will forever stick in my head. The game was guff, but I was sold on the atmosphere straight away.

2) - Hearts vs Aberdeen February 98. What a night! We needed to win to go back level with Celtic if I remember right. JJ was injured with a sore back so had taken a seat up in the stand instead of being in the dugout. Then Gary Naysmith unleashes a 40 yard pearler....... I was right behind the line of the ball and watched it just about rip the net, bedlam ensued and we turned around to look up at JJ who'd obviously forgotten about his sore back at this point - I recall making eye contact with him and him giving a good old fist pump. What a season that was - for so many reasons :)

3) - Hearts 4-4 Hibs. The new weir derby. Never seen anything like it - watched that one from upper section N so was quite close to the vermin support. Friends were talking about leaving early - I insisted we stay........ Safe to say I'm glad we did.

Captain America

My 1st season ticket was in the main stand in Upper N, then moved along to back row of P for a few seasons.

The other 3 stands give you better and differing views from a football perspective but the Main is still the best IMO. 

Being in the main stand when a Frank Liddell, near post diving header in the final minutes won promotion and the title in 1980. Bumper crowd that night, Tynecastle was jumping.

Schevchenko

My seat is front row upper tier, I'm gonna miss my extra legroom and wall to put my pie an bovril on

Francis Albert

I rarely sat in the main stand until the last 12 years. Fovourite memory has to be the opening games in 2005/06.

bilstonjambo

So many happy memories sitting in the old stand a few stand out results for me are.....

4-2 v Rangers Scottish cup 1994/95 season

Willie Jamieson scoring in the school end v Celtic

5-1 v Hibs

Austin McCann winner v Celtic

Qualifying for the champions league v Aberdeen

The Ginger Jambo

I posted earlier in the week but two other games have crossed my mind: the 2-0 win against Celtic when Skacel and Stevenson scored. The noise when each goal went in was incredible. And seeing their evil fans leave after Stevenson's goal was so, so sweet. The other game I was remembering was the 2-0 against the Huns last season - Holt (ironically) and Walker's pen. IMO, the best atmosphere at Tynecastle last season. The roar from the stand when we scored was brilliant. And the abuse the Huns players and fans got was great to see as always. The atmosphere always seemed to rise considerably in the stand when the arsecheeks came.

Williejimieson30yarder

So many happy memories sitting in the old stand a few stand out results for me are.....

4-2 v Rangers Scottish cup 1994/95 season

Willie Jamieson scoring in the school end v Celtic

5-1 v Hibs

Austin McCann winner v Celtic

Qualifying for the champions league v Aberdeen

First 2 are the same as mine. No stand behind the goal and folk were walking out when big Willie scored. I still canny believe he hit the target hahaha

barbankboy

Whilst sitting in the old main stand I once threw the match ball back onto the park and accidentally but delightfully hit unsuspecting Hibs sub Steve Cowan on the back of the head. He jumped up from his seat turned round and glowered at the crowd.

By the light

Some of my most momentous memories at Tynecastle have been in the main stand:

Taken to my 1st ever game by my late uncle against Morton around 1988. Won 2-0

First Derby from upper N when John Millar scored a bullet header in front of the shed. First time I'd seen a proper atmosphere at Tynecastle.

Took my wee brother to his 1st game against Aberdeen in 97ish.

Sat in the players families enclosure for the 5-1 De Vries game. Great view and amazing seeing all the players families and friends going just as mental as the fans.

Also remember watching Scotland against Portugal in 1989 in the U16 semi final.

Watched many reserve games from the stand in the 70's two players from that time I remember well John Brough and David Johnston two I really thought would've made it (good enough)...but in essence didn't realy, though David wasn't to shabby at rugby.....

Sexton Hardcastle

Champions league game. Dancing on top of the Robertson lounge. Must have been several people on and somehow t didn't cave in.

Austin McCann goal, started the game in the back row of section s, ended up pitch side after the goal!

John Findlay

Champions league game. Dancing on top of the Robertson lounge. Must have been several people on and somehow t didn't cave in.

Yip me too. Ken Stott in attendance too but, I don't think he danced on the Robbo lounge roof.

3fingersreid

From the tunnel at the south enclosure watching Robbo score the winner against hibs when we came back up under wee Doddy although in the same game Jimmy Bones header was a beauty as well

132goals1958

I have fond memories of us beating Rangers on our way to winning the league for the second time in three seasons. John Cumming ran through for the first, and Alex Young added the icing on the cake, both scored at the Gorgie Road end late on in the second half..Was sitting in  the main stand that day. The victory which was near the end of the season put a lot of daylight between us and Oldco. I think we only managed to score just over the hundred goals that season which was significantly short of our achievement 2 years earlier.

Archived