Your Favourite Memories Of The Main Stand

Jambos_1874

Jambos_1874

There's still a while before it goes, but the time for the Main Stand to be demolished will be here before you know it. I've only ever had my season ticket in the Main Stand and the only times I sit in the other stands are for Scottish Cup games (Wheatfield), hospitality (Gorgie) and very rarely, the Roseburn. Sitting in the other stands actually gives me a totally different perspective on games at Tynecastle as it feels so much more open and the view is undeniably better (no pillars!). But, when the Main Stand is replaced it will take some getting used and although this is progress/the right move for the club, watching football at Tynecastle will never be the same for me.

But, I digress, what are your best memories of watching football from the Main Stand? For me it was the night we secured CL qualification under the floodlights. The Main Stand felt like it was shaking with all the songs, and watching it under the floodlights, plus the atmosphere in that stand made it even better. Getting the tour of the stand was pretty special too.  Also, has any Jambo never actually sat in the Main Stand!?

Bungalow Bill

Sitting in the family enclosure with my Dad as a boy. We always sat in line with the school end 18 yard line.

I have lots of fond Hearts memories but bizarrely I always think of sitting there for the Scotland U16 v Portugal U16's. A superb night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo Bill

I had a season ticket in the first row of Upper N for four seasons 2001 - 2005; my first season ticket there cost only ?150.

Favourite memory was the 5-1 game v Hibs in 2002. Section N below was pretty mental that first couple of years as it had only just been opened up to season ticket holders, and the section ran a lot closer to the away end as it does today.  Just incredible scenes that day.

Two low points: 

One was the 4-4 New Years game v Hibs. I had a horrific 2nd day hangover and was due back in at work the next morning. I didn't enjoy that game at all, and I left when Hibs made it 4-2 in the 91st minute  :(

Another low point was the Andy Davis penalty incident. I was pretty close to that incident when it happened. An utter disgrace of a decision.

The old girl has a lot of character and history and there is still reckoned to be a stash of hidden club treasures hidden away somewhere, similar to the discovery of stuff a few years back. I have fond memories of my four years in N Upper with a handy ledge in front of me for storing Bovril.

I also remember going to loads of reserve games in the 80s/90s and sitting in the old stand with about 200 other folk. I was in the away dressing room in 2009 when I played against the Legends. It was worse than the Jack Kane Centre :o

This sounds a bit heartless, but I won't be sad to see her ripped down and replaced. The new stand will look magnificent, bigger and better than the current Main Stand and I can't wait to see it.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I remember you could walk over the tunnel from North to South enclosure or South to North enclosure, where the radio Hearts DJ's decks are now yo

My Dad used to take me to the north enclosure for the bigger games against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers, about +25 years back, we'd always stand in the back row roughly where the TV studio is housed today.

We now stand a just underneath the JR lounge. Some great memories and we're gonna miss the old girl when she goes.

DesertDawg

The noise from everyone in the packed stand stamping on the wooden floor as they did back then, every time Alex Young got the ball on the wing will always stay with me.

First game in the stand 86 vs motherwell. 2 0 roddie mcdonald and Robbo. Then a few years in the family enclosure trying to score some free stickers before I graduated to the shed in my teenage years. Will miss the old girl when she goes but will love looking at the new stand from my seat in the wheatfield.

noidletalk81

I have lots of fond Hearts memories but bizarrely I always think of sitting there for the Scotland U16 v Portugal U16's. A superb night.

Summer of '89, we finished runner-up to a very impressive Saudi side...took in most of their group matches at Tynecastle.

I can remember Gary Bollan, Paul Dickov, Brain O'Neil, Andy McLaren, David Hagen from that side...who else?

First game was a 3-1 v. Celtic in '91. Just looked fabuous back then, the main feature of a tight wee ground hemmed in like it was.  Fairly sure the lights were on before KO so extra special.

Many memories.

I had the main stand to thank for not leaving before the end of the 4-4 game. Stood to leave when Hibs went 2-4 up but, because of the narrow passageway's and exits being blocked by fans, I couldn't move.

Thank you, old darlin'.

Attended a Hearts/Hibs reserve game around October '95 which was played, iirc, on a Thursday afternoon. Both sets of fans were housed in the main with no real segregation.

Hearts were 3-0 ahead after 10 minutes (4-0 ft) and a wee boozed up Hibby, around 17/18, was getting a bit annoyed. He started slurring insults about 30+ years with no silverware etc. then loudly announced:

"Av just goat two words fur you Jambo b#&%@&ds...Albert Craig".

We all looked at each other for a few seconds then shouted in unison "it's Albert Kidd ya wee f%d".

He went on for a wee bit more and a Jambo sitting near me finally snapped. Started clambering over the rows of chairs to get to him, stewards were coming in from both sides, it was just a case of who got there first.

The stewards did and threw him and his pal out.

Probably had to be there but was a laugh at the time.

BurnieHearts

Getting my face circled to win ?25 from the pink paper. Bought myself the black and blue inter style Hearts top with the winnings. Miss the Pink paper.

Sandy Clark

First memory - father and son gate for Hearts 5 v Dumbarton 1 (Kenny Black hat-trick). Walking up to the stand and seeing the green grass and floodlights on. Hooked immediately. The old boys stamping their feet with every whiff of excitement and the view of the terracing was immense.

Had season tickets in N and T for many many years. So many great memories.

Also had passes for Willie bauld suite and main stand for 2006 cup final celebration day which was fantastic.

Sad to see it go but it needs to happen.

Ferryjambo99

Only ever had 2 games in the main stand

Second of which was rudis return with dundee utd when everyone was shouting rudi in the 51st minute. We won that match as well I think

A kind of different slant but playing on the empty terracing at reserve games with other young kids. This would be 74/75 ish. Wagon wheels the size of plates at half time!!

Straightfromtheheart

First match was in the old family enclosure but will always remember the Bayern game I was right behind the old brick dugouts what a night that was.

...a bit disco

First ever game I was at my dad had been given freebies for the Main from John Brough.  26th of January 1977. 

A midweek fixture v Hibs. We lost 1-0 to a late goal.

vintage1874

Summer of '89, we finished runner-up to a very impressive Saudi side...took in most of their group matches at Tynecastle.

I can remember Gary Bollan, Paul Dickov, Brain O'Neil, Andy McLaren, David Hagen from that side...who else?

I remember suggestions that a few of the Saudi players were over age. I think Craig brown may have been manager. 

Only been in main stand twice both for Motherwell games one being the cup game after phil o'donnell died, when we threw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2.  News years day 1986 i looked over from shed and the stand was rocking think we won 3-1

I will miss the main stand and the big tree 

Walking through the turnstiles as a 7 year old in 1989 and walking up the steps to what was the family enclosure (section N).

The first view of the pitch,terraces took my breath away,hooked ever since.

Quite enjoyed having a season ticket there up the back of Sec S in past couple of seasons.

Will miss the old dear.

zoltan socrates

Got tickets to a Scotland v Wales u17 match in 1983 I think

The match was won 4-1 and although I don't remember much, I remember sitting in the main and it feeling like I was at the top of he world and on a dreich sodden evening I thought it was bliss

Many memories of the Main Stand especially from the 80's and often involving Robbo.

His 1st and 2nd Derby goals in the famous 3-2 win in 1983, a game that saw a legend born.

His injury time equaliser against Rangers in the 2-2 in 1984.

His late winner in the 3-2 Scottish Cup classic against Rangers in 1986.

His free kick winner against Celtic in the 1987 Scottish Cup in front of nearly 29,000.

His winner in front of the Shed against Hibs on his return from Newcastle in 1989.

His first (and I think only) Hearts hat-trick against St Mirren in the Cup in 1992.

His opener against Athletico Madrid in our 2-1 1st leg win in 1993.

The Ginger Jambo

My first Edinburgh Derby was the 4-0 win in the 05/06 season when I was 7 years old and I was with my mum in the main stand. I can just remember wearing my full home kit and running down to the front when Hartley made it 2-0. I absolutely loved that and wanted to be there every time when Tynecastle was the venue to be. Since then, I've grown older and had the chance to have a season ticket there and witness great wins against Hibs, the old firm and others. I was also ball boy just down from where my season ticket was against Tottenham in 2011. No bad memories whatsoever - just great times in that fantastic old stand. Will really, really miss it.

I had a season ticket in N2 in 2002/03. My seat was just a couple of rows behind the away bench. 

My favourite memory was the Happy New Weir Derby.

Hibs score in injury time to make it 4 -2 and the Hibs bench had already started to celebrate the victory giving wee sly GIRUYs.

Along comes Graham Weir to score in the 4th and 5th minute of injury time. This resulted in absolute mayhem with half of N2 giving it big licks to the Hibby bench,banging on the roof of the shelter. I've never seen players change from delirium to abject misery so quickly, wonderful. 

One of my favourite memories at Tynie.

SectionDJambo

Very few games watched from the stand. Usually terrace or enclosure. But these stick out.

A game against Celtic,in the 70s, when their fans boycotted due to being miffed about something during a cup replay. They won that replay 1-0, and there was a fair bit of crowd trouble, due to Hearts fans turning up early and occupying our usual area underneath the tv gantry.

Anyway, we won 5-1, which had us wishing they would always boycott Tynecastle.

Unfortunately, they didn't.

My first game that my dad took me to. 6-0 win against Moscow Torpedo. Thought it was always going to be like that, and pestered him to take me back. He did, for a game against Kilmarnock, which we lost 3-2, with Gordon Marshall staggering around with concussion.

jambos are go!

Watching Rab Prentice from the Gorgie End Wing Stand is an enduring Memory. Having a fantastic seat in the Centre Stand for a good few seasons is another during the Robbo years. Ended when Mercer extended the Directors Box significantly and moved me near a human foghorn.

I once managed to get a hot pie during half time and that was a huge achievement.

Agree that the night we qualified for the Champions League was best time in the Main Stand/Tynecastle ever.

Sitting in a freezing Brown Gymnasium for early HMSA meetings

Remember the old Lady will still provide the foundations for much of the new stand so not gone altogether.

Only in it at Dave McPhersons testimonial. And reserve games. Never for a league game.Been to the old enclosure tho.

Straightfromtheheart

First match was in the old family enclosure but will always remember the Bayern game I was right behind the old brick dugouts what a night that was.

I also had the pleasure of the old lady for the relegation party

My first game was v Aberdeen, circa 1984. I remember Eck and Miller in the Dons team, can't remember any of the Hearts players, I do remember one of them hoofing the ball over the main stand so he could have a rest tho!! Probably Neil Berry!?

I was young so I might not be correct, but my first time in the main stand was a Scottish Cup game against Cowdenbeath?

I'm sure machperson scored a raker, and I remember us all stomping on the wooden floor.

Probably around the mid nineties?

Another one is juanjo scoring against hibs to get into Europe? 2-1? could be wrong.

Doctor FinnBarr

I also had the pleasure of the old lady for the relegation party

Yep that was a cracker although I lost a lot of skin on both shins at the goals, was good to be able to watch the fuming vermin coming out the sidegate of the Roseburn, classic stuff.

Saturday at Tynecastle would be to mingle with with my grandfather and his cronies 2pm'ish outside the players entrance area,players and club officials coming out from time to time to hand out tickets (comps) to the selected few, around about 2.30pm'ish gramps would hand the season tickets to myself and uncle, we'd disappear upstairs cop a pie and drink then take our seats in the old centre stand, I'd wave to my gramps in the director's box approx 2.50pm'ish then id sneak through the door into the east/west (?) stand work my way downstairs to the enclosure and through the door out onto the terrace to join the gorgie boot boys in the shed, and after the game trouble or not id be standing by my gramps car in the Tynecastle school car park angelic as ever lol those were the days :-)

For my first ever Hearts game my Dad took me to the south stand, it wasn't very elaborate just a long narrow bench, no back no arms. As I got older and more used to games, we went to the terracing, which as a boy I went to with my friends. As an adult I started going to the North Enclosure,  I had a preferred spot to stand about halfway up, and right at the tunnel wall.   It was the same bunch of guys there every week, when I was working and walking the track we exchanged nods, and during games never mentioned my occupation. I spent many happy days in that spot, and often think of them,it will be strange to sit here and reminisce and realise when it happens that it all has gone. I often think of working at Tynecastle and looking up at the centre stand and my Dad in his seat a couple of rows behind the Directors box, I now realise the pride he must have felt seeing his son a policeman walking round the Park and him standing to give his laddie a wave, I am not sure he would have felt any better if I had been playing for Hearts, yes the old stand has memories for me, but nothing in life stays the same. All started for me over seventy years ago.

luckyBatistuta

For my first ever Hearts game my Dad took me to the south stand, it wasn't very elaborate just a long narrow bench, no back no arms. As I got older and more used to games, we went to the terracing, which as a boy I went to with my friends. As an adult I started going to the North Enclosure,  I had a preferred spot to stand about halfway up, and right at the tunnel wall.   It was the same bunch of guys there every week, when I was working and walking the track we exchanged nods, and during games never mentioned my occupation. I spent many happy days in that spot, and often think of them,it will be strange to sit here and reminisce and realise when it happens that it all has gone. I often think of working at Tynecastle and looking up at the centre stand and my Dad in his seat a couple of rows behind the Directors box, I now realise the pride he must have felt seeing his son a policeman walking round the Park and him standing to give his laddie a wave, I am not sure he would have felt any better if I had been playing for Hearts, yes the old stand has memories for me, but nothing in life stays the same. All started for me over seventy years ago.

I had to get a hankie oot the box for that Bob

luckyBatistuta

First ever game I went to in the old stand was with my dad and my uncle. My uncle was a proper gentleman, never heard him say a bad word in my short life, until that whistle blew, to start the game. I stood there, staring up at him with my mouth wide open, thinking who is this man, while he shouted one swear word after another. Got used to it after a few games, but still never heard him swear outside the ground.

gashauskis9

97/98 v Aberdeen. Watched Naysmith's goal all the way from just behind him. Looked about 40 yards from my view! Main stand was bouncing that night, remember Pieman going feckin mental at the turnstyle staff for not letting folk in quicker. Think some of them may have missed Hamilton put us 1-0 up.

In recent times, I remember a sing off between section N and section G which made me chuckle.

I also remember going to loads of reserve games in the 80s/90s and sitting in the old stand with about 200 other folk.

I was there too.  Folk never used to understand me going up to watch the reserves.  Normally I went on my own.

Trainspotter behaviour.

way out west jambo

My first ever game was with my dad in the main stand on the red seats round about the penalty spot at the school end. We won 3-2 that day.

Also remember watching a bounce game where we trialled Darren Beckford he scored a hat trick against Dunfermline reserves, him and Baggio ran the show. Will miss the old stand!!

Салатные палочки

My first season ticket was in the main stand, right next to the tunnel. Used to stand there with my autograph book before every game.

Always remember my first game, the guy behind us having and argument with Jimmy Nicholl, the atmosphere at the Atletico Madrid game and the abuse Wallace Marcer took up above us towards the end of the season.

Sent from my Blade III using Tapatalk

letsalldothebeattie

My 1 and only season in the Main Stand was 98/99 season and I sat down the front next to the then Home Dugout (now away) and at that age of 9/10 I loved it. I would've liked to sat in the old stand more but I've found a home in the Wheatfield

We_are_the_Hearts
Two as a kid stand out. Hearts 1 Aberdeen 0 in the League Cup when we were a 1st Division team.

Hearts 2 Rangers 2 when we scored 2 in the last minute, O'Connor then a Robbo overhead kick.

Three as an adult. The Happy New Weir game, De Vries 5-1 against the vermin and being right behind Austin McCann's bullet against Sellick to finish their title challenge that year

I had a perfect view of Austin McCanns goal v Celtic.

This. Section N lower after Aussie's shot hitting the net was absolutely mental. Bodies everywhere, hugging total strangers and the customery laughing at Celtic fans. Scenes.

Memories of the North Stand and Enclosure with the Leeds Service Crew in it season 82/83, The Gorgie Boot Boys/The Shed walking over and exchanging pleasantries then the big battle outside at the top of McLeod St.

As a youngster the joys of getting in there early and taking up your position at the tunnel so you could get autographs and even just a glimpse of the players up close, I seem to remember there never ever being a boys gate for The Main Stand though.

Hearts closed down the Gorgie Rd End for some time and made it the boys gate

, the away fans were put in the smaller North Enclosure, then in January 1983 St Johnstone came to town and without warning THEY were put in the G.R.E.

Was fortunate to have countless visits inside the main stand, Old Willie Montgomary, the Groundsman had a small cupboard just before the players tunnel and the inside of the old door was covered In old photos, tickets, newspaper cutting etc, absolutely covered, hopefully it was all retrieved before they altered the lay out of the main stand.

Had a season ticket for the "new" South Enclosure for years and to this day I appreciate every nut, bolt, timber joist and iron stanchion that props the old girl up, even the window frames, signs and staircases that are there, love it, she's the only thing we have left that separates us from the modern day ground we have from the good old days, ah well mustn't dwell, time to move on.

Malcolm Tucker

First time I ever sat there was the 4-1 win against Ayr in '98, I was only 7 but remember the Ayr keeper messing up and I think Jim Hamilton slamming it home from about a yard. Still remember me and my old man laughing about it until full-time and then in the car up the road.

Also, Bednar game vs Rangers in 2005 in Upper N. The noise when the ball hit the net was incredible up there, and then total scenes at full time when people really were starting to 'Believe'.

Williejimieson30yarder

94/95 season Scottish cup v Rangers. Won 4-2. We sat in north enclosure that season after they had built the wheatfield and knocked terracing down at school end.

Great night. Up 2-0 then 2-2 before wee Robbo scored n big Davie set up Kevin Thomas for a 4th.

Also that season big Willie Jamieson scored a peach of a volley in the last minute to equalise v Celtic.

The stamping of the feet when things were happening on the pitch. You don't here that these days.

The Old Tolbooth

Two times stand out for me as being the noisiest I've ever heard it, the first five minutes against Spurs, and the Rangers game where Bednar scored and we beat them 1-0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alex young hero

November 1964 I decided to take my girlfriend to Tynecastle as a special treat,no expense spared seats in the main stand game was against Aberdeen 0_0 draw miserable wet day ,miserable game she has never been back although she did marry me.Now sit in in sect R with my grandsons all season ticket holders,proud.

Pistol1874

I was in the main stand pretty much level with Robbo when he scored the league cup winner v Celtic, following 4 red cards at Ibrox.

Great night.

My first European game - Hearts 2-0 Dinamo Zagreb. First time I'd ever been in the Main Stand and it's still one of my favourite ever games at Tynecastle.

Ultimately, we got put out that night, but had we taken a few more chances, we were more than capable of turning that tie around.

Archived