1909 SCOTTISH CUP FINAL WITHHELD

FORTHCLYDE

FORTHCLYDE

Quote from Wikipedia " The crowd invaded the pitch. In the ensuing disorder, the goalposts were torn down, parts of the pitch were ripped up and the wooden pay-boxes were set alight. Mounted police and the fire brigade also came under attack and in total there were over 100 injuries."

Seems very similar to Saturday. I suggest the SFA  ask for the cup back from Hibs and withhold it. 

In fact if Ernie Walker or Jim Farry were still in charge it would not have been presented at all on Saturday.

Салатные палочки

Should write a letter to them. Always seems to work for Hibs.

Oh...wait.

Sent from my Blade III using Tapatalk

Would. Be funny as..... But I don't think anyone won the final in 1909, the final and replay were both drawn and the weegies thought it was a conspiricy to charge them again.

colinmaroon

I wonder who the teams were that were involved in that disgraceful performance!!!   Quelle surprise!

Well, it seems that one of them no longer exists but, like the Ancient Roman punishment for some murders, the dead body has been strapped onto the back of a "sort of" living one.

I echo the Apostle Paul in the Book of Romans chapter 7,

"Who will rid [us] of this body of death?"

Interesting that the paper of the time published a list of names and addresses of all those injured. Presumably because it was the best way to inform next of kin back then?

Hearts Heritage

What people may want to know is the reason for the 'riot' is one of the reasons they are called 'The Old Firm'.

There was the feeling that both clubs were 'colluding' in drawing Cup games between each other so they could get a 'lucrative' replay.

The story goes that extra time had been promised in the replay of that 1909 Final and when it wasn't forthcoming fans of both sides for so disgruntled that they rioted. 

Not at each other but at the 'authorities' for not allowing extra time to be played.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What people may want to know is the reason for the 'riot' is one of the reasons they are called 'The Old Firm'.

There was the feeling that both clubs were 'colluding' in drawing Cup games between each other so they could get a 'lucrative' replay.

The story goes that extra time had been promised in the replay of that 1909 Final and when it wasn't forthcoming fans of both sides for so disgruntled that they rioted.

Not at each other but at the 'authorities' for not allowing extra time to be played.

Informative as ever. You should run a series. Our very own Bob Crampsie.

Seriously very good stuff

campagnolo

Quote from Wikipedia " The crowd invaded the pitch. In the ensuing disorder, the goalposts were torn down, parts of the pitch were ripped up and the wooden pay-boxes were set alight. Mounted police and the fire brigade also came under attack and in total there were over 100 injuries."

Seems very similar to Saturday. I suggest the SFA  ask for the cup back from Hibs and withhold it. 

In fact if Ernie Walker or Jim Farry were still in charge it would not have been presented at all on Saturday.

It does seem partly similar to Saturday apart from the  wooden pay-boxes being set alight, mounted police and the fire brigade coming under attack and the total of over 100 injuries.

Hearts Heritage

The crowd drove up and down the pitch in a road roller!

That's what last Saturday's invasion was missing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Beni of Gorgie

That's what last Saturday's invasion was missing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving from the West to the East right up the middle?

Archived