Rodgers is new Celtic manager

heartsdaft101

He will stay a year, win a league title ( not that hard with their budget ) then bugger off back down south as a championship winner on his CV

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big Slim Stylee

Neither could I.  A toss is what I could not give.

He's been an abject failure at his last two clubs and I'm looking for that to continue.

What???  Is it something they put in the beer over there?  They've made a real coup here and to pretend otherwise is just delusional.

Really not bothered who the beggars appoint but the interesting thing is if he has a large transfer kitty, and you have to presume he has by taking the job, then he will bring in a few players. This will mean a large amount of players will be released/made available, some of whom I would hope we might pick up wages notwithstanding.

Big Slim Stylee

Really not bothered who the beggars appoint but the interesting thing is if he has a large transfer kitty, and you have to presume he has by taking the job, then he will bring in a few players. This will mean a large amount of players will be released/made available, some of whom I would hope we might pick up wages notwithstanding.

I'm absolutely bothered about it because as you rightly point out, there's no way he'll have been tempted to do it without the promise of untold riches.  I suppose whether he's able to tempt quality to that utter sh!tehole is another matter.

?15 million to him is half a player in the English Premiership. I'm sure he will choose the left side if given a choice.

heartsdaft101

I just realised he couldn't beat us under McGlynn at Anfield. 

Who knows! It should be a very good appointment for them.. but he could be another Le Guen or whatever his name is but for the green half of that hole.

?15 million to him is half a player in the English Premiership. I'm sure he will choose the left side if given a choice.

Celtic will still have a wage ceiling of around ?20k, which will dictate the kind of player they will go for. Hard to see that being any player in the Premiership or the Championship in England at current prices. ?15m will equate to buying maybe 4 players at between ?10k-?20k a week or more if they go for younger unproven types. Their squad is massive as it is. 

Are the folk shitting it from Sevco the same ones who said Miller and Boyd would destroy the Championship last year? It seems the bookies odds have gone to some fans heads.

Fair enough being fearful of Celtic but come on, a team that includes Danny Wilson, Miller, Foderingham and Holt as starters we should expect to finish above.

Rodgers should be enough for Celtic to win the league but I still believe we can do it. Just need to sign a few players with the impact of Djoum and Rossi and a couple of solid but unspectactual players at left back and keeper.

CollyWolly

Hope we get them early doors before he gets his feet under the table. That's a league deciding signing IMO

I'm absolutely bothered about it because as you rightly point out, there's no way he'll have been tempted to do it without the promise of untold riches. I suppose whether he's able to tempt quality to that utter sh!tehole is another matter.

That's where I am. A confusing appointment. He must've been promised the world to give up all that severance pay, but how appealing is it really to win the Scottish Prem (probably by a distance if the war chest thing is true) and then even if he is given that money, it still won't be enough to do a whole lot in CL?

It's just odd.

gowestjambo

Celtic appoint a new Manger - big deal.

The number of Hearts fans who immediately decide that is excuse enough that our League challenge is over.

Is it any wonder we suffer an inferiority complex when it comes to the old firm??

It is like a self fulfilling prophecy get a grip - you should be ashamed of yourselves!

Big Slim Stylee

Celtic appoint a new Manger - big deal.

The number of Hearts fans who immediately decide that is excuse enough that our League challenge is over.

Is it any wonder we suffer an inferiority complex when it comes to the old firm??

It is like a self fulfilling prophecy get a grip - you should be ashamed of yourselves!

It's not an excuse. It's not just the manager mate, and well you know it.  Rodgers is no fool, but It's the humungous financial commitment that will inevitably have come with this deal.  Nobody's throwing in the towel but lets not kid ourselves it perhaps complicates matters a bit..........

Are the folk shitting it from Sevco the same ones who said Miller and Boyd would destroy the Championship last year? It seems the bookies odds have gone to some fans heads.

Fair enough being fearful of Celtic but come on, a team that includes Danny Wilson, Miller, Foderingham and Holt as starters we should expect to finish above.

Rodgers should be enough for Celtic to win the league but I still believe we can do it. Just need to sign a few players with the impact of Djoum and Rossi and a couple of solid but unspectactual players at left back and keeper.

no striker ?

What??? Is it something they put in the beer over there? They've made a real coup here and to pretend otherwise is just delusional.

got to agree with this, anyone who thinks they'll not be a much better team than last season is living on cloud cuckoo land, just being close to them and right up the arse of their other half will be close enough for me

I didnt rate him as a manager in England.  Imposter.  Lacks authenticity.

I hope he fails miserably up here.

How over-rated is this guy?

When he went to Liverpool, he inherited a team which included Luis Suarez who was scoring goals for fun for them. It was obvious that Suarez was not going to stay at Liverpool but would go on to bigger things in Europe. Rodgers was revelling in the success Liverpool had that season. He spoke enthusiastically of his managerial abilities and concepts. Press writers got carried away with the new young managerial star.

His managerial abilities should be better measured in his second season when Suarez had gone to Barcelona. Could he keep Liverpool's success going? No!

Sacked!

Will win Scottish league by 20 points - no great achievement. Doesn't have what it takes to do anything in Europe. Will leave at some stage for fantastic opportunity at Rochdale or Gillingham maybe?

heart & soul

When he went to Liverpool, he inherited a team which included Luis Suarez who was scoring goals for fun for them. It was obvious that Suarez was not going to stay at Liverpool but would go on to bigger things in Europe. Rodgers was revelling in the success Liverpool had that season. He spoke enthusiastically of his managerial abilities and concepts. Press writers got carried away with the new young managerial star.

His managerial abilities should be better measured in his second season when Suarez had gone to Barcelona. Could he keep Liverpool's success going? No!

Sacked!

Will win Scottish league by 20 points - no great achievement. Doesn't have what it takes to do anything in Europe. Will leave at some stage for fantastic opportunity at Rochdale or Gillingham maybe?

Totally agree.

Plus he didn't have the balls to punt Gerrard when he should have.

Be interesting to see if he finds Scott Brown as much of a hindrance to his success.

Totally agree.

Plus he didn't have the balls to punt Gerrard when he should have.

Be interesting to see if he finds Scott Brown as much of a hindrance to his success.

Lol. Comparing Scott Brown to Steven Gerrard.

Big Slim Stylee

Sacked!

He was faced by the infamous and now totally flawed "Liverpool transfer committee".  He's a great coach but an arrogant SOB who's one of the "if he was chocolate he'd eat himself" brigade.  I know that first hand from people at LFC.

There's always hype when a new manager is appointed at almost every club - remember how Ronny Deila was going to revolutionise Celtic's approach and how Tony Mowbray was the best thing since sliced bread? Rodgers could be good but could also be awful. Even if he is fantastic there's no guarantee he'll skoosh the league by 20 points - that assumes there's not another team, like Aberdeen this season, that wins the majority of its games against the other clubs.

We_are_the_Hearts

A guy i know who is a regular at these golf etc charity/pro am days and has good contacts says that Rogers wants Stevie G as his number 2 and also Stevie Clarke. And Desmond is prepared to invest up to ?100 million.

Seymour M Hersh

Rodgers is a disciple of tippy tappy football and for 1 season had LFC playing a high press fast passing game. The fact that he had Suarez made all the difference that season. However in all his short time at Anfield he completely failed to improve a shabby defence. And when LS left he completely abandoned the fast, high press style of play and LFC struggled and got booted. Whether he's learned his lesson or not is questionable.  I also don't think he'll relish the sectarian goldfish bowl and politics that is the verse cheeks and weejie media.

lauriesrank

Just cause he managed a team in the english premierleagueship does NOT mean, they are punching above their weight or he's a cracking appointment, all that league does is recycle managers with tried and tested boring garbage.  Mark huges, allardyce, sammy lee, pardew, mclaren et al, between them they have probably managed 2083749276593 clubs, and to whit.... nowt.

Not an obviously offensive guy. Good for the exposure of our game to some extent.

I don't think he makes an instant impact at clubs - a more slow build - and he has a lack of knowledge of what it takes to succeed in Scottish football. Similar to Warburton having a lack of experience in dealing with the big pressure that goes with the old firm.

A real opportunity for us next season IMO.

Gigolo-Aunt

For Scottish football, its a high profile appointment.   He will be shopping on a different market to what he has been used to - interesting to see how he will do.

BangkokHearts

I didnt rate him as a manager in England.  Imposter.  Lacks authenticity.

I hope he fails miserably up here.

Yep, he's a total slaver. 

Him taking the Celtic job smacks of a man with low confidence and no self-belief. 

I reckon he will fail to achieve anything and will be sacked within a year.

Not an obviously offensive guy. Good for the exposure of our game to some extent.

I don't think he makes an instant impact at clubs - a more slow build - and he has a lack of knowledge of what it takes to succeed in Scottish football. Similar to Warburton having a lack of experience in dealing with the big pressure that goes with the old firm.

Lol. His Liverpool team scored 101 league goals in the EPL in his second season in charge which is more than we managed in the Scottish Championship. God knows what you think it takes to succeed in Scottish football but better players than everyone else will certainly help especially if you add in a very sound resume.

Bazzas right boot

45k a week, ?15m kitty, all for the Scottish league.no ucl and massive losses await.

Fingers crossed.

Lol. His Liverpool team scored 101 league goals in the EPL in his second season in charge which is more than we managed in the Scottish Championship. God knows what you think it takes to succeed in Scottish football but better players than everyone else will certainly help especially if you add in a very sound resume.

Yes mate. You said it - second season.

I said he was slow out the blocks and that his FIRST season at Celtic presents an opportunity, which is what I said.

He also won't be able to get a striker like Suarez to the SPL i.e. He doesn't know what is needed to succeed up here and he won't have access to the top players that he had in that season.

Yes mate. You said it - second season.

I said he was slow out the blocks and that his FIRST season at Celtic presents an opportunity, which is what I said.

He also won't be able to get a striker like Suarez to the SPL i.e. He doesn't know what is needed to succeed up here and he won't have access to the top players that he had in that season.

He took over a complete shambles what were you expecting in his FIRST season at Liverpool?!!!!!  By the 2nd season he took them to within arguably one slip away from their first title in nearly 30 years. They scored 101 goals playing to their star strikers strengths. He's hardly walking into the same scenario at Celtic with their huge budget advantage. Quite frankly your dreaming.

I will say this mind you, I'm truly hoping Neilson's "slow build" continues in the SPL next season like Rodgers did at Liverpool! No doubt you will tell me he's fast out the blocks due to his success in the Scottish Championship. I'll make a prediction however - you'll be on here in October/November saying that we made more changes than you anticipated and it will be next season before they bed in, get use to the pace of Scottish football blah blah.

Jambof3tornado

Very good appointment.

Celtic will make the CL group stages.

Mark my words.

chester copperpot

Few rumours kicking about the office about Rodgers already spoken to Klopp about getting a couple of fringe players on loan for next season.

Canos and Ibe where names that were mentioned. I know Klopp doesn't really fancy Ibe however no sure if he'd want to come up for here for a year or not however thems the rumours.

We have 34 games that regardless how good Celtic will be does not affect us.  No excuses.  Celtic being brilliant next season has no bearing on us when we play Kilmarnock etc.

No excuses Phoodle!

Eh? He had his side fired right up for that semi and completely bossed it from start to finish.

How long before Broony and Rodgers are having private sessions in the gym together?

If reports are to be believed they both like playing hide the sausage.

Unknown user

How long before Broony and Rodgers are having private sessions in the gym together?

ffs can that shite eh?

you really a total idiot aren't you 

Nookie Bear

He was faced by the infamous and now totally flawed "Liverpool transfer committee".  He's a great coach but an arrogant SOB who's one of the "if he was chocolate he'd eat himself" brigade.  I know that first hand from people at LFC.

You mean you watched the same documentary as the rest of us.

AlimOzturk

:rofl:

Hide the sausage

Unknown user

He was faced by the infamous and now totally flawed "Liverpool transfer committee". He's a great coach but an arrogant SOB who's one of the "if he was chocolate he'd eat himself" brigade. I know that first hand from people at LFC.

I just saw this. For the record an aunt of mine works for Liverpool, says he was an absolute gent and really made an effort with the behind the scenes people.

doctor jambo

I just saw this. For the record an aunt of mine works for Liverpool, says he was an absolute gent and really made an effort with the behind the scenes people.

This is probably true, hence his messy divorce having been playing around with LFC staff.

Not that I'm impugning the flawless reputation of your aunt

Eh? He had his side fired right up for that semi and completely bossed it from start to finish.

One off cup game.

I'm talking about day in day out in the SPL

For example he couldnt even cope with Stubbs winding him up without losing it at times. Completely different pressure on him in the SPL.

Brendan Rogers was a source of quality entertainment went ESPN did that feature on Liverpool.

Between him ripping Raheem Sterling and every time he said "Jonjo".

The first time Celtic faces any adversity he'll be a source comedy.

Archived