Rodgers is new Celtic manager

heartsdaft101

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A step up from what they have settled for in the past few seasons

Decent manager but it will still be tough for him to get the players he wants within his budget.

I suspect though Celtic are pushing the boat out as they see the return of Rangers to the top league.

gowestjambo

At least this puts to bed the idea we could be challenging for the league next season. Rodgers is definitely a big coup for them, didn't believe they had the ability to get someone as big as that TBH

Celtic hire a failed Liverpool Manager, and out title challenge is over before it started?

I think I will prefer to wait and see what our team looks like at the start of the season before we concede our chances!

Very good appointment for them. I don't mind Rodgers but will no doubt end up hating him when he starts the usual Sellick pish.

I won't be giving up before the season's started though, especially as it remains to be seen if the ?15m warchest uses the standard Weegie red top accounting methodology of including transfer fees, signing on fees, wages, cars, Buckfast, rosary beads/sashes etc.

Neither could I. A toss is what I could not give.

He's been an abject failure at his last two clubs and I'm looking for that to continue.

Abject failure at his last two clubs? :rofl:

You clearly don't have a scooby!

Got Swansea promoted and established them in the EPL.

His Liverpool career was mixed with one great season and the rest average but they were very average before he took over.

Abject failure? Get the blinkers off FFS.

Torry Jambo

Clodagh Rodgers and they'd win it 

Cue older posters.........Mmmmmm....Clodagh Rodgers..... :2thumbsup:

I remember Clodagh.Very tasty Indeed.

dont see what the fuss is all about, he became the first Liverpool manager in donkeys years not to win a trophy in his first three years, also he couldn't beat a Hearts side managed by John McGlynn at Anfield

very much this, folk on here drizzling in their panties about big bad Brendan and we may as well give up competing now. :facepalm:

BangkokHearts

He's pump and will struggle next season.

Remember this post folks.

John Findlay

At least this puts to bed the idea we could be challenging for the league next season. Rodgers is definitely a big coup for them, didn't believe they had the ability to get someone as big as that TBH

TheOak88. No really a Celtic supporter are we?

I'd say he's about as good a manager as they could have hoped to get.

Hopefully we'll rise to the challenge. It's going to be an interesting league next season.

12 month rolling contract so he will be offski after a year if he does well or booted out if mince

TheOak88. No really a Celtic supporter are we?

Just being honest mate. I think our season in the Championship was a blessing and a curse. Because we had a season of beating teams every week a section of our support have started to think that's the way it should be. It's led to an element of unrealistic expectations, which in turn will probably mean Neilson (who I think has done a good job) being hounded out by the end of this year, if he isn't above Rangers and Aberdeen in the league.

No matter what way you want to dress it up Celtic have pulled off a good appointment here (on paper at least). Rodgers will have decent contacts down south and will probably be able to obtain a superior standard of player than we have seen at Celtic in the last 4-5 years

Celtic hire a failed Liverpool Manager, and out title challenge is over before it started?

I think I will prefer to wait and see what our team looks like at the start of the season before we concede our chances!

Cmon mate. Your gonna tell me Rodgers is a poor appointment and his achievements unimpressive? In comparison to the rest of the managers in the SPL?

Captain Canada

I think he's a poor choice. He won nothing at Liverpool. He's not got a wealth of Champions League experience. He frittered away a fortune on average players at Liverpool.

He'll also be on a huge salary which I believe is unnecessary given the level of competition up here.

I hope he fails miserably and we win the league next season.

Cmon mate. Your gonna tell me Rodgers is a poor appointment and his achievements unimpressive? In comparison to the rest of the managers in the SPL?

There is no question its an impressive appointment by Celtic. A really surprising one to be honest and one which isn't great news for us. I can guarantee someone like Craig Levein will have thought, feck we really could have done without that happening on hearing the news. Its a galvanising appointment by them and no doubt strategic with their other half back in the mix. Both will try to outdo each other between now and August. As you've said above he is very well respected down south and has loads of contacts and is seen as someone players want to play for. Celtic will have a substantially better squad next season and he will be able to add loans etc if required. 

What it means for Hearts in terms of any kind of challenge is that there is even less margin for error. We have to get signings right, not 1 or 2 out of 5 or 6 but 4 or 5 out of that number. Its a tall order but hopefully we can see a significant upgrade in a number of starting positions which at worst make us a much better side to watch next season and at best could see us improve markedly. At least the opening months of the league should be interesting next year as us and Rantic are going to make a lot of changes. With Rangers promotion, Rodgers appointment, the continued recovery of Hearts (stadium capacity increase etc) there will be plenty to argue on here about!

Guys, forget about what he did or did not achieve in England.

He will do alright in Scotland because......it's Scotland !

He will do alright in Scotland because......it's the easiest job in Scotland !

FTFY

socrates82

A step up from what they have settled for in the past few seasons

Decent manager but it will still be tough for him to get the players he wants within his budget.

I suspect though Celtic are pushing the boat out as they see the return of Rangers to the top league.

They've definitely been saving up for their other half's return. I doubt we'll see cheap (for them) signings like Kazim Richards and Scott Allan this season.

We_are_the_Hearts

Looks like Desmond is loosening the purse strings for the return of the Huns, not good for us as he will be a good appointment

King prawn

If this was a 20 team league where teams only had to play them twice a season I think Rodgers would struggle.

His game plan is easier to read than a colouring book and now he's working with the likes of Efe Ambrose, not Steven Gerrard.

gowestjambo

At least I have not given up the league before a ball is kicked. What a defeatist attitude - it seems you are happy it puts to bed our challenge.

At least I have not given up the league before a ball is kicked. What a defeatist attitude - it seems you are happy it puts to bed our challenge.

Aye, that will be it.

Bazzas right boot

Hopefully Hearts have a better attitude of some on here.

The defeatist attitude reeks.

Celtic, might spend ?100m, doesn't stop us beating the other 11 teams.

Beat the rest and you are in with a shout, Athletico have proven this

Doesn't stop us having a go at Celtic.

Has Leicester not gave anyone hope?

Beat before the Season is even over, great.

Bazzas right boot

Looks like Desmond is loosening the purse strings for the return of the Huns, not good for us as he will be a good appointment

Great for us if they blow ?15m and don't get to the UCL group stages, ?30m plus loss on the cards, can't keep that up.

Bazzas right boot

If Warburton wins the SC, he will have achieved more.

Even RC and ICT winning cups is more impressive than ending up 2nd with Liverpool in the EPL.

Not saying he's a poor appointment, but achievement's?

Watt-Zeefuik

I need a nap.  The first time I read this I interpreted this as the "scum" being Hibs having signed Rodgers, and I nearly fell out of my chair.

gowestjambo

Klopp has shown what a poor Manager he was. He has got far more out of Rodgers very average signings than Rodgers did.

Just a rumour but I've heard he's got a really wee willy.

Not itk as such so dont quote me

Rudolf's Mate

Got him Moreno didn't it?

Moreno is brilliant going forward but abysmal defending.

12 month rolling contract so he will be offski after a year if he does well or booted out if mince

Not disputing what's been said about his war chest (?15M) but surely they'd not give a manager on a 12 month contract that amount!

He's better than RD however if he fails to get Celtic into the group stages of the CL he'll rightly be viewed as a failure.

Wonder if he'll hold up an envelope at his first team meeting saying ''some of you wont make it.'' ''The names of those I think won't are in this envelope. It's up to you to prove me wrong.'' :vrface:

Hopefully Hearts have a better attitude of some on here.

The defeatist attitude reeks.

Celtic, might spend ?100m, doesn't stop us beating the other 11 teams.

Beat the rest and you are in with a shout, Athletico have proven this

Doesn't stop us having a go at Celtic.

Has Leicester not gave anyone hope?

Beat before the Season is even over, great.

You are bang on the money here.

Our relative push and success say back in 97/98 was all about taking care of everyone else to put us in a position that when we played the ugly sisters we where there or there abouts. Its incredibly shyte that we play each other 4 times as these games can prove to be the difference over a season, however I still maintain we should be beating the uglies at Tynie...until we start to turn these 2 feckers over regularly at Tynie its gonna be difficult to get near them over a season in general but we need to aim higher and push ourselves on the park and proving difficult to beat at Tynie when they come to town and really man up in that regard.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Even RC and ICT winning cups is more impressive than ending up 2nd with Liverpool in the EPL.

Absolutely correct. It's about beating everyone else I wouldn't care if the got Pep Guardiola.

If we get the signings right I have complete faith in our management to be able to mount some sort of challenge.

Think i'll stop drinking now...i'm beginning to hallucinate !

Warburton winning the Scottish Cup, bigger than anything Rodgers has achieved!

Rodgers won the LMA Manager Of The Year, up against names such as Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, Mairicio Pochettino, Pellegrini

You must be trolling with that mate

I will still support Hearts in every game. I just have a realistic attitude towards it

Celtic/Rodgers/Liverpool-Hearts related, did you know John McGlynn has been a scout for Celtic since January 2015? Just found that out.

Maybe he can give Rodgers some tactical advice. Efe in midfield?

Rodgers won the LMA Manager Of The Year, up against names such as Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, Mairicio Pochettino, Pellegrini

He's not trolling bud, he's just not very knowledgable. There is a difference. He does actually believe the pish he's spouting.

Nail on the head. This is only big news because it's a relatively big fish coming to a pitifully small pond. And it's a complete knee jerk from Celtic in reaction to Rangers coming up. Celtic - and probably Rangers - are always going to have bigger budgets. The mindset for everyone else has to move away from the belief that budget = success.

Disappointing to read that so many are already chucking the towel in. I don't give a shit how much money he is given or who he signs. If we are to seriously challenge for the league it is how we perform against the other 10 teams that will be crucial.

Ibrahim Tall

Realistically for what they want to achieve ?15m is nothing, sure it's a hell of a lot for the SPL but to make an 'impact' in Europe like they're suggesting they'll need to spend a shitload more than ?15m. To put that in perspective, Middlesborough a 2nd division club offered just a little less for Ross McCormack, a player who can't even get a game for Scotland.

Bazzas right boot

Mmm he's not achieved much, not saying he's a bad manager, but he's no Jose.

Bazzas right boot

He's not trolling bud, he's just not very knowledgable. There is a difference. He does actually believe the pish he's spouting.

I know that Rogers has won f all and spent millions.

The stroke fest on here over another teams appointment amazes me.

He's a good manager,but didn't win the league with steam who had arguably the best striker in Europe then got sacked a season later as his team crumbled.

He also spent a fair wade.

Good manager, but not great.

Some believe the media hype too much.

cool

not quite Graeme Souness but still decent guy to get to Scotland

Just missed out on the Raith Rovers job....

Archived