Joey Barton

GarryJ-o-s

OmiyaHearts

Also in the championship team of the year

But that's voted by the players who played against him. What would they know?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't me you were replying to, but I would like to point out that you seem to be basing your opinion on what other players will do next season.

Got the lotto numbers while we're at it?

It's highly subjective of course but one stat I'd give is being capped in a very competitive England midfield.

Yeah I have to base that on this coming season as you cant compare players playing in diff countries and leagues can you with any degree of credibility!?? Dearie me if you dont accept that as the starting point you're in trouble re any viewpoint of note...

Fair do's a England cap I will give you that as something other than the 'best' being trotted out...how old was he when he got that out of interest?

Unknown user

But that's voted by the players who played against him. What would they know?

Won't hold much sway against facts, like what Murray Davidson will do next season.

:facepalm:

Won't hold much sway against facts, like what Murray Davidson will do next season.

:facepalm:

Good to see you're adding to the debate either way with anything other than a facepalm....!!!

Unknown user

Yeah I have to base that on this coming season as you cant compare players playing in diff countries and leagues can you with any degree of credibility!?? Dearie me if you dont accept that as the starting point you're in trouble re any viewpoint of note...

Fair do's a England cap I will give you that as something other than the 'best' being trotted out...how old was he when he got that out of interest?

http://bfy.tw/5vJC

Championship team of the year too mind

I would love to see Barton sorting Scott Brown out, though I think Rodgers will have sussed Brown out long before the teams get the chance to meet.

Sevco started splashing daft money on daft players again.

Rudolf's Mate

He was on ?70k pw when he was at QPR but QPR was just a basket case of dodgy deals (don't forget that they had Harry Redknapp there for a little while as well as some Russian interests).

I doubt Burnley would have put him on that but am also sure it would be well overpaid for what he brings to a club.

Rangers will do the same; overpay him horrendously. Let's hope so, anyway.

Burnley told him before he even went to see their facilities that they wouldn't break their wages structure for any player and that he would have to accept what was on offer. He acknowledged this when he signed. IIRC it was 15k last season. No doubt they had a huge bonus in the event of getting into the EPL though. 

Again fair play...so the best we have got so far as a 33-34 footballer re his credentials from his entire career are being voted as fans and players player of the year/team of year and an england cap many years ago yeah? Anything else?

Hmmm...yeah mightily impressive so as to be quaking in boots!!! Picking a name out of thin air I would say someone like Chris Commons is comparable re age and having played in England, I am more fearful of how he can hurt us as a footballer than a convicted bully but fair do's others see the loutish behaviour as being a trait to mark a good footballer...

socrates82

It's a Pascali Bruno or Sandy Jardine type signing for them in terms of the stage of career, but of a lesser quality. He probably won't take kindly to players he's never heard of putting him on his pampered former EPL footballer's arse. Put it this way if Roy Keane can completely fail in our league, Joey Barton certainly can.

If this is the type of signing Rangers are after I think we can compete with them next season. Watching them on Saturday, their team needs major work.

doctor jambo

Championship team of the year.

Cham-pi-on-ship

Graced by titans full of players we have never heard of,who are not good enough for the first tier

I , for one, wont be worried, any more than I was with the world beaters he signed from the same division that were going to P*ss our championship only to take 2 seasons to do it got royally pumped by numerous SPL and Scot Championship sides in the process

Some utter nonsense being spouted on this thread. Can't see this is as a good signing. Big wages on a guy almost finished with zero sell on potential - truly the huns of old.  I remember when Roy Keane came up here and he was going to boss it for Celtic, didn't quite pan out that way. Barton has been surrounded by very decent players at Burnley, a class above the dross the huns have, and this has helped him enormously.  

ToadKiller Dog

So he has had one season in his career at the end of career at Burnley where he actually acted as a professional rather than a thuggish ejit .

Hartson, Di Canio, Sutton, Alan Thomson, Tugay, Kanchelskis. The boy Roberts has started well at Celtic.

Phil Stamp

Of course in his opinion, whose opinion were you expecting?

Let's not start demanding "in my opinion", it's a bit redundant!

And you're wrong, none of those players are better than Barton. In my opinion.

Exactly.

Seriously untroubled at the prospect of Hearts facing Joey Barton. He'll go the same way as Keane, Dublin, Wright, Diouf et al who washed up in Scottish football at the tail end of their careers. There are better midfield players currently on the books of most SPFL clubs.

The other way of looking at it, if Bartion is soaking up ?20/30k in weekly wages that's 3 or 4 better players at SPFL rates they aren't able to sign. Works for me.

I think it's a good signing for them. He's an erse but he can play and I expect him to do well up here. Would have taken him at West Ham Last year TBH

Bungalow Bill

From a non-footballing perspective I think this is a bad move for Barton. The guy is going to embroil himself in all sorts of bother up here.

I can already see the headlines, 'Barton in fight at Glasgow nightclub'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to hear if his weegie accent is better than his French one!!

Unknown user

Championship team of the year.

Cham-pi-on-ship

Graced by titans full of players we have never heard of,who are not good enough for the first tier

I , for one, wont be worried, any more than I was with the world beaters he signed from the same division that were going to P*ss our championship only to take 2 seasons to do it got royally pumped by numerous SPL and Scot Championship sides in the process

Tell us more about the players Warburton signed that took 2 years to get out of the championship.

You're never a doctor, and if you actually are, I'm really glad I'm well away from the nhs!

Stuart Lyon

Don't shoot me if this has been shown earlier

post-586-0-02883100-1464111521_thumb.png

Couldn't be bothered going through 5 pages

Watt-Zeefuik

Given his age and attitude, I fully expect that he thinks he's coming north for a few retirement laps and the odd "real game" against the OF.  I think he'll be a bit startled by the standard of Scottish football (which is far better than its reputation in comparison to the ECL, IMO), will go off his rocker a few times, get frustrated, and ultimately not put in the effort to keep himself in top shape.  

No, I didn't watch much of him last year, but I saw enough of him in previous seasons.

Don't shoot me if this has been shown earlier

attachicon.gifBartonand the SPL.png

Couldn't be bothered going through 5 pages

He's in for a shock.

Our game is nowhere near as bad as some love to make out. 

Considering there is absolutely zero cash up here the product on show is is good.

Bowmans_Boot

Aye because he can influence a game with his ego..his manner...being a bully.. his reputation...I accept from that view point he is an addition if you want to go down that route with a 34 year convicted criminal as your way to approach a game of football..but that shouldnt be confused with being a good footballer from a technical point of view....im sure the Burnley fans did appreciate those traits as it helped them win games...

You clearly know your football...

My son-in-law is a huge Burnley fan and was, like most, sceptical about him signing. However, he is absolutely gutted about Barton leaving as he was a class above the rest, without any of the nonsense he has displayed previously,  I watched Burnley a few times last season and Joey Barton appears to have matured and abandoned the idiotic side of his game. He was provoked on many an occasion and never retaliated.

I think this is a superb signing for Rangers, although, as others have said, they need a fair few more like this to compete with Celtic. 

He's been brought in just in case Rangers draw Hibs in a cup competition, so he can take out any Hibs fans who encroach on the field.

Decent signing depending on how committed he is. I think as others have said we might see a number of half arsed performances from him (expect for when they play Celtic)

Guest Paul Allen

He'll go the same way as Keane, Dublin, Wright, Diouf et al who washed up in Scottish football at the tail end of their careers. There are better midfield players currently on the books of most SPFL clubs.

Better midfield players at most SPFL clubs mate aye? :lol:

Barton is still in good condition, he won player of the year for a team promoted to the EPL, he's a very good signing on paper, i hope he's shite but i won't pretend Murray Davidson is better than him, that would be daft.

ToadKiller Dog

History shows through his career when he has played at high profile clubs, Newcastle , Marsellie and at the time the mental QPR ,his temperament has failed ,

He did well at Burnley a low pressure club ,but history points to him exploding in the ugly west coast fish bowl .

Hope he has matured as he will if playing well will be a good challenge for us .

One we can win .

He certainly will bring publicity to our league both good and bad .

Just seen his press conference on sky sports. I thought he actually came across ok. He's one of this players that u would love on your team and hate on the opposition. It's a big statement by them as is Rodgers going to celtic. Hopefully they are 2 focused on getting one up on each other and we can sneak in a wee league challenge!

socrates82

You clearly know your football...

My son-in-law is a huge Burnley fan and was, like most, sceptical about him signing. However, he is absolutely gutted about Barton leaving as he was a class above the rest, without any of the nonsense he has displayed previously,  I watched Burnley a few times last season and Joey Barton appears to have matured and abandoned the idiotic side of his game. He was provoked on many an occasion and never retaliated.

I think this is a superb signing for Rangers, although, as others have said, they need a fair few more like this to compete with Celtic. 

Nevermind Celtic, they need a few more to compete with us.

Joey Barton is just another in a long line of players with a bit of a name in the game turning up in Scottish football - not just at Celtic and Rangers - for one last payday. He's not even one of the better ones. He's perfect aligned with the Rangers brand though - thuggish, a big mouth, ill-disciplined, takes things personally... the refs will of course protect him as a "big name OF player"

ChunkyCharlie

Jory Barton will cause some fights next season i reckon. Grade A clown.

Jambojay84

Hopefully PK will put that ring piece in his place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly the Saltire

Joey Barton's pro IRA and anti Monarchy comments are going down well with the Queen's XI supporters.

CjOELU1WsAAZYXl.jpg

He's has the ability and attitude to influence a game. Whether people like it or hate it probably depends on what team you support. Regardless it's vital to have a player like that.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep up with the pace our game is played at. If he struggles with it he might end up frustrated and there's only so much protection a ref can give a player who loses the head. They can protect him while he is being clever about it but not when the heads gone.

Tasavallan

Only in Scotland would his religion be the subject of a question at his news conference. I have an inkling the bears will be refering to him as Joseph.

vegas-voss

A good short term signing for them no doubt , but very rare one guy makes a teams . Bang goes any talk they had of building a base from youth upwards .

33 going on 34 am sure our youthful talented midfielder such as Kitchen and Djoum will match up well enough to whom ever they bring in .

Not going to fear the Orcs cause they have Joey Barton .

He is hardly Paul Scoles

Its the strikeforce that will be far better at Celtic.

Better midfield players at most SPFL clubs mate aye? :lol:

Perry Kitchen, Jamie Walker, Arnaud Djoum, Ryan Jack, Graeme Shinnie, Scott Allen, Stuart Armstrong, Jackson Irvine, Steven Pearson, Murray Davidson, Kris Commons, Tom Rogic, Bauben, Ryan Christie. Equal to, if not better than a 33 year old Barton, just my opinion.

Lol. Got that one wrong.

Still not got a stiffy about this though.

Barton's interview was ok actually. You can tell he's underestimated the challenge though. He also obviously considers himself the self-appointed fulcrum of Rangers challenge.

However he performs, this will be fun IMO.

Rudolf's Mate

Only in Scotland would his religion be the subject of a question at his news conference. I have an inkling the bears will be refering to him as Joseph.

I'd forgotten all about it however a pal sent a pic re his quote '1872-2012 Hopefully they take their bigoted and sectarian views with them. Good riddance.'  

He's made various comments on sectarianism and directed them at Rangers. Not sure what was said however you can understand any decent journo using his quotes, if that's what was said. 

I'd forgotten all about it however a pal sent a pic re his quote '1872-2012 Hopefully they take their bigoted and sectarian views with them. Good riddance.'

He's made various comments on sectarianism and directed them at Rangers. Not sure what was said however you can understand any decent journo using his quotes, if that's what was said.

Question is - do the Rangers fans care?

Perry Kitchen, Jamie Walker, Arnaud Djoum, Ryan Jack, Graeme Shinnie, Scott Allen, Stuart Armstrong, Jackson Irvine, Steven Pearson, Murray Davidson, Kris Commons, Tom Rogic, Bauben, Ryan Christie. Equal to, if not better than a 33 year old Barton, just my opinion.

Where do i start!? Steven Pearson :rofl:

Where do i start!? Steven Pearson :rofl:

That's the great thing about opinions, you can start wherever you like.

That's the great thing about opinions, you can start wherever you like.

Are you seriously suggesting to me that Pearson is equal to or a better player than Barton?

Unknown user

laughable!

You've lost the plot.

Archived