Soundbar/soundbase

Disser Pointon

Disser Pointon

Getting the living room done up and plan to fire a new 60 inch LCD TV up on the wall. Most reviews these days seem to suggest the new TV's really need a soundbar or soundbase as the speakers are compromised for the sake of slimness. Can anyone shed any light on whether that is completely true or just the shops trying to sell more gear?!!

If it is true does anyone have any decent recommendations for a reasonably priced one, probably a soundbase rather than bar?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jack D and coke

I'd get a sonos tbh. Other soundbars will be a bit cheaper but the sonos is a great piece of kit with great software. Stream from your phone, tablet, PC etc as well as use it for your tv sound.

Can add play 1's or 3's to make the room surround sound too.

Disser Pointon

I'd get a sonos tbh. Other soundbars will be a bit cheaper but the sonos is a great piece of kit with great software. Stream from your phone, tablet, PC etc as well as use it for your tv sound.

Can add play 1's or 3's to make the room surround sound too.

Was hoping for something a bit cheaper than that, most of them seem to have bluetooth capability for streaming music.

jack D and coke

Was hoping for something a bit cheaper than that, most of them seem to have bluetooth capability for streaming music.

Yeah they're not cheap granted. I haven't looked into many of the others available so I'm certainly no expert on the matter.

Definitely get external speakers or a soundbar.

TV built-in speakers are invariably Tom Kite.

cosanostra

They are great things.

Mine sounds amazing but it's terribly badly designed as the remote control point is in a shit position. So annoying. Stay away from Panasonic. Have to stand up and walk over to the goddam thing to turn the volume up.

Disser Pointon

They are great things.

Mine sounds amazing but it's terribly badly designed as the remote control point is in a shit position. So annoying. Stay away from Panasonic. Have to stand up and walk over to the goddam thing to turn the volume up.

It was a Panasonic one I was looking at as well!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars-sound-base/panasonic/schte80eb/pana-schte80eb-b#showproduct_product_reviews

Don't get a soundbar, instead get yourself a set of actual speakers for the TV. It'll sound better, clearer and give you better sound throughout the room.

I rushed out to buy a soundbar, and I really wish I'd just waited another month and spent the wee bit extra on speakers.

Disser Pointon

Don't get a soundbar, instead get yourself a set of actual speakers for the TV. It'll sound better, clearer and give you better sound throughout the room.

I rushed out to buy a soundbar, and I really wish I'd just waited another month and spent the wee bit extra on speakers.

I hear you but I kind of don't want speakers cluttering the place up!

I hear you but I kind of don't want speakers cluttering the place up!

You could get some nice slimline tower style ones that sit in the corners of the room?  They don't have to be massive and wouldn't add much clutter :thumbsup:

IronJambo
I've got that in silver and it's decent, can't fault it. I paid full price a couple of years ago. All my devices are connected to my TV, and the TV is connected to the sound base with HDMI via arc return.

Edit: if you TV's going on the wall though, would it not be better to have a wall mounted sound bar under it it?

Disser Pointon

I've got that in silver and it's decent, can't fault it. I paid full price a couple of years ago. All my devices are connected to my TV, and the TV is connected to the sound base with HDMI via arc return.

Magic, cheers.

IronJambo

Magic, cheers.

It's also easy enough to connect a phone to it via Bluetooth/NFC. I use it to stream music from Google play.

IronJambo

You could get some nice slimline tower style ones that sit in the corners of the room? They don't have to be massive and wouldn't add much clutter :thumbsup:

I had a 5.1 system for years and I binned it before my boy came along. I wouldn't have one again, not for a long time anyway. My lad would be all over them, and it IS a clutter. Even if you're using the wizardry of wireless.

IronJambo

Was are the major differences between a sound base and a sound bar?

Soundbase is square/rectangular and is designed to sit under your TV, usually with a built in subwoofer. The stand of my telly sits perfectly on it so it sits neatly and doesn't take up any space.

A soundbar will sit in front of your telly (or be wall mounted), or rather between the base and the bottom of the TV. It'll normally be roughly as wide as your TV. Usually the design doesn't allow for sufficient bass and it comes complimented by a sub woofer. Much sameness really.

Cool, thanks.

So presuming a sound base isn't suitable for a wall mounted tv?

argyjambo

I've had an Orbit sound bar on my Samsung TV for about 8 years now. Granted its a bit dated now but does a good job at a reasonable price. It has a sub-woofer wired to it for bass level. No blue tooth owing to its age but has an I-pod docking station which delivers a very acceptable sound.

Cost me around ?250 in 2008 (John Lewis) & I've been very happy with it.

p.s. dropping hints to my good lady that TV & soundbar will need replaced in the near future.

IronJambo

Cool, thanks.

So presuming a sound base isn't suitable for a wall mounted tv?

It's not "unsuitable". It would just sit flat somewhere like a sky box or a DVD player.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Another recommendation for Sonos. I've got a sound bar and it's excellent. I was also at a vendor expo today and Sonos were there demoing 2play, outstanding.

Greenbank2

You will get what you pay for. Sonos & Bose are companies who research and manufacture audio products. Look at the technical specs and the schemas of their products. They contain so much more tech than products from, for instance Panasonic who are simply a reseller of other video and audio technology packaged up in their own software. Whether you think it is worth the extra is up to you. If you go for a soundbar, you will need a sub-woofer to get the best result (that can be placed anywhere in your room). Addition of surround sound speakers completes the effect for video and all audio input. Top of the range stuff is not cheap but is a 20 year investment.

Archived