You're the manager

Bauld

There seems to be a lot of people on here with an opinion on where the mistakes have been made this season. As far as I'm concerned 3rd is fine achievement and look forward to seeing how we recruit over the summer.

Formations, instructions, player rotation etc etc etc.

So now that the season is essentially done. Taking it from the players we had after January what would you have done?

Players, formations, style? How would you have gone about winning us games that differed from the approach we took?

Settled 442 us our best formation always has been

Play the same team and stick with it

There is no other team that chops and changes like this what is Robbie playing at

Very grateful for our achievements last year but neilson can't take us forward

Getintaethem

Still think Neilson can improve us. Would like to see him play a more settled team though, agree with those who think he tinkers too much.

Play to the teams/players strengths and don't try and shoehorn them into a style/system that doesn't suit them.

Bazzas right boot

Alexander

Rossi- stay back

Souttar

Oz- possibly Blaz for when we are playing against a big lump up front for his Ariel strength

Paterson- freedom to run, Kitchen to cover

Kitchen- in front of the back 4

Buaben- swap with Sam/ Cowie when required

Djoum-in the middle

Walker- swap with king when required,

Reilly- run about pressure defenders make space for Djoum, Walker etc

Junama swap with Dauda if having a mare

Master tactics

Reilly to press high, go out and score more goals than the other team.

Rossi, Souttar, Kitchen and Oz to be defensive, Bauben to be box to box, Djoum to support Walker, Reilly, Junama with Paterson giving further width.

Taking it from the players we had after January what would you have done?

For me it was always going to be hard when we lost Sow and that Dauda was not a suitable replacement. 

Bring on next season.

Jambof3tornado

Robbie can improve us, if he couldnt he wouldnt still be in the job. He is learning as he goes. There will be a point where we outgrow him or perhaps he even outgrows us, but that's not right now.

He should have dropped Sam and tried Reilly wide, his energy and enthusiasm is an example to all.

Other than that he should have allowed players like paterson to push forward as often as he likes and not have him shackled in his own half at times.

I'd have given Jack Hamilton a few more games by now.

I would not have let King go out on loan, that had a damaging effect on our squad.

He should have taught walker how to take a corner that isnt an easy to defend floaty type.

Alexander

Souttar Ozturk Rossi

Paterson                 Oshaniawa

Kitchen Djoum

Walker

Reilly Juanma

3 at the back can gtf.

442, settled team. Away from home against better opposition 451.

Sounds simple, it is simple. Let teams worry about us instead of the constant tinkering to combat the threat of Hamilton or killie.

Hire Jim Daubney as a coach and wear these -

bcf040b0e864c3c3f480fabd485a4df9.jpg

The league will be ours next season.

KineticBeat

Alexander

Souttar Ozturk Rossi

Paterson                 Oshaniawa

Kitchen Djoum

Walker

Reilly Juanma

I would play either this formation or a 4-1-4-1 with:

Alexander

Paterson Ozturk Souttar Rossi

Kitchen

Walker Buaben Djoum Nicholson/Cowie

Juanma

The 4-1-4-1 is what I would mostly be playing as Rossi has had injury/suspension troubles and I don't think Augustyn works in a back 3. If you look it at its basically what Neilson has been trying to play. 

In the summer I would focus on a first team left back, winger to replace the Nicholson/Cowie slot and midfielder for Buaben. 

TexasAndy

Great question and positive as well (Thankfully).  First of alI I think we have the makings of a very good team.  Really encouraged with signings like Souttar, Djoum and Kitchen (who was outstanding on Saturday)  What I would change is the temptation to play players in different positions.  Let's play 4 at back.  Let's play Souttar in middle (he's not a RB).  Keeping the same players we could have a great back 4 of Patterson, Souttar, Ozturk and Rossi.  With Kitchen sitting in front we could be rock solid at back.  I think if we get the backline settled we can play with greater freedom further forward.

KineticBeat

Robbie can improve us, if he couldnt he wouldnt still be in the job. He is learning as he goes. There will be a point where we outgrow him or perhaps he even outgrows us, but that's not right now.

He should have dropped Sam and tried Reilly wide, his energy and enthusiasm is an example to all.

Other than that he should have allowed players like paterson to push forward as often as he likes and not have him shackled in his own half at times.

I'd have given Jack Hamilton a few more games by now.

I would not have let King go out on loan, that had a damaging effect on our squad.

He should have taught walker how to take a corner that isnt an easy to defend floaty type.

IIRC at the start of the season we were putting Reilly wide and he wasn't really doing much. It was only when we put him in the centre v Celtic where we saw the performances that are making as all want him to start for the rest of the season. 

beijingandrew

Fast counter attacking play.

Rossi Soutar Ozturk and Paterson at the back. Paterson playing as a wing back.

Left CM Buaben - box to box. Kitchen right cm winning the ball and covering Paterson. CM Djoum just in front of Kitchen and slightly to the right of centre linking up with Paterson and the attack. Main playmaker in the team.

Nicholson wide on the left. Inside forward cutting in and looking to set up Walker/Juanma or shoot.

Walker, just behind Juanma and very slightly left of centre. Helping Juanma close down the defenders.

Juanma - cf making a nuisance for himself. Getting on the end of Paterson's crosses and playing in Walker, Nicholson and Djoum.

I'm basically Guardiola.

The Tackle

You're*

Had to edit your correction of the op's mistake :lol:

I would stop tinkering with the team so much. And go back to how we played in the first 5 matches before we shat the bed and employed this "game management" nonsense. OK results matter but I want some excitement. I'm not a phoodle out proponent.

Currahee!

Play with 2 strikers.

Play to our strengths and let teams worry about us. Why worry about the opposition.

Oz- possibly Blaz for when we are playing against a big lump up front for his Ariel strength

Does he wash the kits too? More of a Bold man myself.

@VladMagic

He's had a good season in my opinion bar a few frustrating games. Some where I think he was accountable for the losses and others when the players let him down so a mix of both.

I think next season will see a more settled starting 11 so changes only when forced either via suspension or injuries.

We are close to a really decent side and have proven on many occasions we can play very attractive football.

Fitness: Has been excellent so I expect same come start of new season. 10/10

Discipline: Poor but some questionable refereeing decisions means we have had far more red cards than we deserved. 5/10

Shape: At times looked great then 7 days later all over the place. Less tinkering so the players learn and get used to the shape of the team. 4/10

Tactics: Really mixed bag again sometimes brilliant and then next game change in formation and its woeful. 4/4/2 is without doubt our best formation. 5/10

Motivation: Hard to tell. Players look up for it at the start of the game but lose it when things dont go according to plan. Think a stronger more vocal captain would sort this. 5/10

Transfer activity: Still think Osh and Dauda will find their game. More and more there are signs of improvement. Players brought in and existing squad will get better when shape/tactics of the team are improved. 1.5 mill for Sow excellent! 7/10

Press: Humble, eloquent, intelligent, well spoken. Handles the press beautifully and represents the Club well. 9/10

Overall: Been discussed to death. A real marmite manager. Frustrating at times with decisions and formations but overall a decent season. If we hadn't lost to Hibs im pretty sure there would be less anti Neilson comments but we lost so we take it. 6.5/10

I would like to see him find a more settled approach to management. Appoint a new club captain. Trust the players more and give them a formation and shape they are happy with. I would like to see him change things only when necessary and install a better attitude in terms of discipline. In other words STFU with back chat to refs and no silly bookings. 

Bazzas right boot

Does he wash the kits too? More of a Bold man myself.

Non bio?

A_A wehatethehibs

Alexander

Paterson

Ozturk ©

Rossi

Oshaniwa (I haven't written him off, left final judgement to next season if he is poor I'll join the NEW LB brigade but i feel the areas which need to be addressed as priority are attack)

NEW RIGHT WINGER

Kitchen

Djoum

NEW LEFT WINGER

NEW CF/PLAYMAKER

NEW ST

Bench: Juanma, NEW RB TO PUSH CALUM, Souttar, Nicholson, Reilly, Cowie, NEW GK (Hamilton on loan for the season)

I believe Walker will be sold, possibly either King or Nicholson to go too - I expect one out of the 3 of them will still be with us, difficult to say who that will be. I think the evidence has shown that the team can't be built around the 3 of them as many of us hoped to see, due to their inconsisency which will no longer be acceptable next year we need attackers who can deliver every week.

4-4-2

Jambof3tornado

He's had a good season in my opinion bar a few frustrating games. Some where I think he was accountable for the losses and others when the players let him down so a mix of both.

I think next season will see a more settled starting 11 so changes only when forced either via suspension or injuries.

We are close to a really decent side and have proven on many occasions we can play very attractive football.

Fitness: Has been excellent so I expect same come start of new season. 10/10

Discipline: Poor but some questionable refereeing decisions means we have had far more red cards than we deserved. 5/10

Shape: At times looked great then 7 days later all over the place. Less tinkering so the players learn and get used to the shape of the team. 4/10

Tactics: Really mixed bag again sometimes brilliant and then next game change in formation and its woeful. 4/4/2 is without doubt our best formation. 5/10

Motivation: Hard to tell. Players look up for it at the start of the game but lose it when things dont go according to plan. Think a stronger more vocal captain would sort this. 5/10

Transfer activity: Still think Osh and Dauda will find their game. More and more there are signs of improvement. Players brought in and existing squad will get better when shape/tactics of the team are improved. 1.5 mill for Sow excellent! 7/10

Press: Humble, eloquent, intelligent, well spoken. Handles the press beautifully and represents the Club well. 9/10

Overall: Been discussed to death. A real marmite manager. Frustrating at times with decisions and formations but overall a decent season. If we hadn't lost to Hibs im pretty sure there would be less anti Neilson comments but we lost so we take it. 6.5/10

I would like to see him find a more settled approach to management. Appoint a new club captain. Trust the players more and give them a formation and shape they are happy with. I would like to see him change things only when necessary and install a better attitude in terms of discipline. In other words STFU with back chat to refs and no silly bookings.

Regarding fitness I have yet to see us look less tired than our opponents late on in games.

Not convinced we are 10/10 fitness wise.

King prawn

In an ideal world, teams would not press us and we could play direct football on the floor i.e. 6-0 vs Motherwell

Alexander

Paterson Ozturk Souttar Rossi

Nicholson Kitchen Djoum Walker

Reilly Juanma

Otherwise, I'd like to see us attack and press teams like we did against Aberdeen in the cup. The fans were up for it, Tynecastle was rocking, the opposition looked like rabbits in headlights and our players looked like they were enjoying themselves!

If we did that every week, we'd get that feel-good factor of winning every game, just like the beginning of this season and the majority of last season. 

We need to stop by-passing our midfield. We've got great technical players who can only perform at their best when we're not hoofing a ball over their heads.

We're never going to win every game, referees in Scotland for one are too shite and give horrendous decisions week in, week out but I'd like to see teams like Hamilton afraid to play us, not get a confidence boost because we're not trying.

A_A wehatethehibs

Apologies, mis read the OP thought we were on about changes for next season from the players we've had since January.

In the time since January I can't say if there is a huge amount which could have been done differently given how many of our results have been caused by a lack of clinical attackers and by some tough injuries at the back leading to constant re-jigging, I would certainly have given Reilly a lot more game time but it seems from training he has not done enough to merit a place. I would also have definitely kept king, Nicholson has gone right off the boil without a direct competitor for his spot I consider that to be the biggest mistake of the season. Perhaps we could have played more attacking football in some away games but at the end of the day the draw at ICT secured European football even though it was not a good performance it proved a very valuable point.

The rest of the games since have seemed almost bounce games for some of the players, I'd definitely have continued with smith I'm still scratching my head as to why he was dropped since parkhead, and there must be other young lads knocking. Surely the mcghee-souttar partnership which was excellent at Ross county should have been given another run out, hope to see that before the end of the season.

Mikey1874

Played Reilly more

We played okay in spell Dec\Jan when he played.

He pulls defences around and disrupts. Defences have been far too comfortable. Would give rest.of team more options.

But that's all.

Alexander

Paterson

Ozturk

Souttar

Rossi

Kitchen

Bauben

Walker

Djoum

Nicholson

Juanma

As things stand but I think we need at least 5 new signings in the summer if we are serious about closing the gap

Smith&Weston

New GK

Paterson Ozturk Soutter New LB

Kitchen

New CM Djoum

Walker

New CF New CF

5 new starters

Back-up

New RM

Alexander

Rossi

Nicholson

Juanma

Smith

Zanatta

JamboJohn1874

Played Reilly more

We played okay in spell Dec\Jan when he played.

He pulls defences around and disrupts. Defences have been far too comfortable. Would give rest.of team more options.

But that's all.

He doesn't score goals so as a forward he is pointless. Lets get someone who can and do the work.

Reilly can go with Neilson

Robbie Neilson

I'd probably start with not shiting it from Hibs and sitting on our own 18 yard line for 45 minutes

Mikey1874

He doesn't score goals so as a forward he is pointless. Lets get someone who can and do the work.

Reilly can go with Neilson

You keeping Stokes next season?

Arguably how you've gone to shit

Archived