Is Robbie maybe just not tactically aware?

lost in space

lost in space

Oh good, another Robbie Neilson thread.

I know the style guru's fans tell us that he is detined for the EPL.  He closely studies the game after all and reads all he can about the game.  Furthermore we are third and we won championship last season.

Last season - yes, fantastic - but he was "up against" McCoist and Stubbs FFS.  To be fair to him and CL - they did put together a very good team for the Champioship - and the tactics were mostly simple and positive.

Third - yes, I would have settled for that at the start of the season - before I saw how poor the other teams were.  Even having seen the other teams - third is still good - as Celtic and Aberdeen (slightly) have better players.

So WHAT IS THE PROBLEM THEN??

1.Robbie seems to have no ambition to score goals or win away from home. 0-0 seems to be his tactical target.

2. Robbie seems to take no responsibility for trying to entertain.

3. Robbie takes no responsibility for poor performances.

4. Robbie with CL have made some howlers on transfers (King\ Oshinaiwa\ Cowie\Dauda etc).  Some good (Kitchen, Souttar).

5. Robbie does not seem to know his best team or even forrmation.

6. Robbie continues to players who are out of form.  Is Bauben his brother? (the term "journeyman" was invented for him yet he starts every game).  Sam until recently started every game when off form.  Jamie Walker - starting when he has been very poor but probably confused by his role (not surprised).

7. Robbie - not likely to scare the players is he?  Not likely to give "hairdryer treatment".  Probably has a private\quiet word with players he is not happy with though. That will only work with some.

8. Robbie - does not change obvious mistakes quickly enough - e.g. Cowie's position v Celtic was a mistake and changed at HT - but he should have moved him inside after 10 mins.

9. Robbie is not motivating his players.  That is a huge part of his job.  Guys like John Hughes and Mark Mcghee are able to do it - it is part of what they bring to the job.  I dont like either of them but it is easy to see what their abilities they have (even if they are limited).

10. Robbie is NOT learning from his mistakes.

I have limited to "10" but I could go on (yes I know, and on and on...). 

The Celtic game was a disaster in the first half no ambition \players unsure of their position\role (Bauben\Walker\Cowie\Oshinaiwa)\ no pressure on Ambrose\ Cowies role - probably one of the most stupid tactics that I have ever seen (puting a slow central midfielder to mark their fast RIGHT BACK)\ playing Souttar at right back when he has played well in the centre\Huge spaces left in the centre of our midfield as Kitchen (good player) runs right and left to retrieve ball etc etc

SO - we will have to accept that Robbie is going to be coach at the start of next season - BUT  increasingly the fans are questioning his decisions and ability.  Destined for the EPL? absolutely no evidence this season to suggest this.

Is Robbie very bright?  1-10 would suggest he is not.

I await evidence from this season to show how much he is suited to his present job and EPL role.

GorgieRules22

I know the style guru's fans tell us that he is detined for the EPL. He closely studies the game after all and reads all he can about the game. Furthermore we are third and we won championship last season.

Last season - yes, fantastic - but he was "up against" McCoist and Stubbs FFS. To be fair to him and CL - they did put together a very good team for the Champioship - and the tactics were mostly simple and positive.

Third - yes, I would have settled for that at the start of the season - before I saw how poor the other teams were. Even having seen the other teams - third is still good - as Celtic and Aberdeen (slightly) have better players.

1.Robbie seems to have no ambition to score goals or win away from home. 0-0 seems to be his tactical target.

4. Robbie with CL have made some howlers on transfers (King\ Oshinaiwa\ Cowie\Dauda etc). Some good (Kitchen, Souttar).

6. Robbie continues to players who are out of form. Is Bauben his brother? (the term "journeyman" was invented for him yet he starts every game). Sam until recently started every game when off form. Jamie Walker - starting when he has been very poor but probably confused by his role (not surprised).

7. Robbie - not likely to scare the players is he? Not likely to give "hairdryer treatment". Probably has a private\quiet word with players he is not happy with though. That will only work with some.

8. Robbie - does not change obvious mistakes quickly enough - e.g. Cowie's position v Celtic was a mistake and changed at HT - but he should have moved him inside after 10 mins.

9. Robbie is not motivating his players. That is a huge part of his job. Guys like John Hughes and Mark Mcghee are able to do it - it is part of what they bring to the job. I dont like either of them but it is easy to see what their abilities they have (even if they are limited).

The Celtic game was a disaster in the first half no ambition \players unsure of their position\role (Bauben\Walker\Cowie\Oshinaiwa)\ no pressure on Ambrose\ Cowies role - probably one of the most stupid tactics that I have ever seen (puting a slow central midfielder to mark their fast RIGHT BACK)\ playing Souttar at right back when he has played well in the centre\Huge spaces left in the centre of our midfield as Kitchen (good player) runs right and left to retrieve ball etc etc

SO - we will have to accept that Robbie is going to be coach at the start of next season - BUT increasingly the fans are questioning his decisions and ability. Destined for the EPL? absolutely no evidence this season to suggest this.

Is Robbie very bright? 1-10 would suggest he is not.

I await evidence from this season to show how much he is suited to his present job and EPL role.

Had a quick scan at your rant and noticed you slagging off Bauben, stopped reading after that as I don't think you have a clue.

Disco Dave

I'm generally in the positive camp re Neilson but I was surprised to read his comments in the scotsman this morning. He said we will continue to pass from the back..... Does he mean long diagonal punts? He will need to teach Ozturk how to pass (short or long) instead of chipping it forward to Juanma who rarely wins a header.

He also goes on to state we were playing 3-5-2 in the first half on Sat. Looked awfully like 4-5-1 to me. Souttar was clearly playing right back first half.

I'm still fairly happy overall but we need to address negative tactics away from home against the lesser teams in the league. A more positive approach against the perceived better teams at home would be good too. Whenever we have employed this approach, we have generally faired much better which makes me wonder why we revert back to negative.

A sense of persepective is required and we have come a long way on and off the park over the past two seasons. However, if he doesn't address the points above over the summer, I think the negative few voices will become the majority by the end of next.... Unless we are top of the league then nobody will care!

The jj era

Had a quick scan at your rant and noticed you slagging off Bauben, stopped reading after that as I don't think you have a clue.

Same, total drivel

Fxxx the SPFL

Why not title the thread Robbie not tactically aware, you have basically suggested he is thick. Lost in space is an apt avatar for you as there must be plenty space in your bonce.

Generic Username

Point one has been established previously to be highly questionable, given our current away form this season is 6-6-6, one of our best away statistics in nearly 30 years.

And when anyone trying to build a case for putting the boot into a manager, uses John Hughes as an example of how things should be done, a man who chased players around the dressing room, in the dark and in the nip, I think we can stop discussing whatever other points you raised and just talk about whatever we like instead.

What's the deal with cats? Where does their smug sense of entitlement come from?

bigis semiauskas

I know the style guru's fans tell us that he is detined for the EPL. He closely studies the game after all and reads all he can about the game. Furthermore we are third and we won championship last season.

Last season - yes, fantastic - but he was "up against" McCoist and Stubbs FFS. To be fair to him and CL - they did put together a very good team for the Champioship - and the tactics were mostly simple and positive.

Third - yes, I would have settled for that at the start of the season - before I saw how poor the other teams were. Even having seen the other teams - third is still good - as Celtic and Aberdeen (slightly) have better players.

4. Robbie with CL have made some howlers on transfers (King\ Oshinaiwa\ Cowie\Dauda etc). Some good (Kitchen, Souttar).

6. Robbie continues to players who are out of form. Is Bauben his brother? (the term "journeyman" was invented for him yet he starts every game). Sam until recently started every game when off form. Jamie Walker - starting when he has been very poor but probably confused by his role (not surprised).

7. Robbie - not likely to scare the players is he? Not likely to give "hairdryer treatment". Probably has a private\quiet word with players he is not happy with though. That will only work with some.

9. Robbie is not motivating his players. That is a huge part of his job. Guys like John Hughes and Mark Mcghee are able to do it - it is part of what they bring to the job. I dont like either of them but it is easy to see what their abilities they have (even if they are limited).

SO - we will have to accept that Robbie is going to be coach at the start of next season - BUT increasingly the fans are questioning his decisions and ability. Destined for the EPL? absolutely no evidence this season to suggest this.

Koff!

Section Q

I know the style guru's fans tell us that he is detined for the EPL.  He closely studies the game after all and reads all he can about the game.  Furthermore we are third and we won championship last season.

Last season - yes, fantastic - but he was "up against" McCoist and Stubbs FFS.  To be fair to him and CL - they did put together a very good team for the Champioship - and the tactics were mostly simple and positive.

Third - yes, I would have settled for that at the start of the season - before I saw how poor the other teams were.  Even having seen the other teams - third is still good - as Celtic and Aberdeen (slightly) have better players.

4. Robbie with CL have made some howlers on transfers (King\ Oshinaiwa\ Cowie\Dauda etc).  Some good (Kitchen, Souttar).

6. Robbie continues to players who are out of form.  Is Bauben his brother? (the term "journeyman" was invented for him yet he starts every game).  Sam until recently started every game when off form.  Jamie Walker - starting when he has been very poor but probably confused by his role (not surprised).

7. Robbie - not likely to scare the players is he?  Not likely to give "hairdryer treatment".  Probably has a private\quiet word with players he is not happy with though. That will only work with some.

9. Robbie is not motivating his players.  That is a huge part of his job.  Guys like John Hughes and Mark Mcghee are able to do it - it is part of what they bring to the job.  I dont like either of them but it is easy to see what their abilities they have (even if they are limited).

SO - we will have to accept that Robbie is going to be coach at the start of next season - BUT  increasingly the fans are questioning his decisions and ability.  Destined for the EPL? absolutely no evidence this season to suggest this.

I'm dead against the Robbie hate campaign but at least some thought has gone into this post. Discussion without the abuse would be grand.

Disco Dave

Point one has been established previously to be highly questionable, given our current away form this season is 6-6-6, one of our best away statistics in nearly 30 years

Not defending the OP but I think this highlights how poor the league is. I believe we should have and could have done better in some of these games. Our squad has the ability to do so.

Fxxx the SPFL

I'm dead against the Robbie hate campaign but at least some thought has gone into this post. Discussion without the abuse would be grand.

why the need to start another thread the OP could have tagged it onto any number of threads I.e the match thread.

gowestjambo

I see others have decided to have a go at your post - Well more fool them.

I am beginning to wonder if some Supporters lack the same passion, and just stick their head in the sand.

Anyone who went to ICT and Motherwell away, imo would agree with you!!

Clerry Jambo

We keep being told this is one of the worst leagues in a long time, well apart from Celtic being not as good, I would suggest Aberdeen, Dundee, Ross County, St Johnstone and Motherwell are as good or maybe slightly better than recent years

amadjambo

I see others have decided to have a go at your post - Well more fool them.

I am beginning to wonder if some Supporters lack the same passion, and just stick their head in the sand.

It's very easy to spot the stay at home fans or the attend home games only fans.

Robbie has made a load of mistakes this season. Even his biggest fans cannot deny this. Now people will say he is a young manager and he is still learning but it doesnt seem like he is learning. He has played Cowie wide right before and it simply has not worked. Prime example of this was the derby match at Easter Road where he stuck him wide right. Second half he moved him into his natural central position and he played very well. How Neilson thought Cowie was more suited to that position on Saturday than Paterson, only he will know but I found that to be very worrying.

Generic Username

Just had a quick shifty at McGhee & Hughes (aka THE MOTIVATORS) last 10 fixtures;

Hearts : W W W W L L W D L L (16 points)

Motherwell : W L W W W W W L W L (21 points)

ICT : D L L L W L W D W W (13 points)

Hypothetically if we'd had that Motherwell run and has won 21 points from our last 10 games, we'd still be 6 points behind Aberdeen.

Also interesting to note that we've scored more goals (55) and conceded far less (37) than those two teams;

Motherwell : 43 scored, 53 conceded

ICT : 47 scored, 45 conceded

Aspirational stuff lads.

The Treasurer

I see others have decided to have a go at your post - Well more fool them.

Did anyone come away from either of those two games saying, "christ I wish we had Yogi/Mcghee as our manager" (as the OP seems to suggest)

I very much doubt it.

1. He doesn't have the attackers to do that

2. He's paid to win games entertainment comes 2nd

3. What ones specifically should he have taken the blame for? Most games we dropped points or lost were out of his control.

4. Conveniently forgetting Ozturk, Sow, Alexander, Djoum etc

5. The teams horrifically inconsistent he'd get pelters if he stuck with a formation and it stopped working.

6. Either you don't go to games or you spend the whole time trying to eat your seat, Buaben a journeyman ffs :lol:

7. Trust me he has and he will

8. After 10 minutes? So no time to let go get into the game

9. Oh no

10. He hasn't made that many.

KineticBeat

I know what KB needs. ANOTHER thread to talk about how rubbish Phoodle is to go with the all the other ones we have seen over the past few months. 

We get it. For some people, gaining 3rd at a canter first time of asking isn't good enough and we should bring in an experieced manager who only plays 4-4-2, bring in players who can play like Messi  for ?2000 a week so we can play like Barcelona and beat Hibs 8-0 every time we play them.

A_A wehatethehibs

Complete and utter garbage, nowhere near reality. We have the 3rd best squad in the league, and have finished 3rd, yet we are holding some kind of public enquiry into why this has happened.

As though the manager has done a crap job despite vastly exceeding all expectations and aims set at the start of the season.

You look at one crap game this weekend, or another couple of bad ones since we wrapped up 3rd and europe, where is your expert tactical analysis of the 60 points we have picked up this season, where is your analysis of the 6-0 drubbing of Motherwell, where is your expert analysis of papping Aberdeen out the cup and ending their league championship campaign at tynecastle, where is your expert analysis of the good results which have been delivered consistently across the 35 league games we have played, where is your expert analysis of the 16 clean sheets we have kept.

It's no coincidence that our worst run of the season happens to have occurred during this period after we have secured 3rd place and the summer holidays are in sight for the players after a long, hard season. Look at rangers they have won the league below and exactly the same thing has happened, 4 games without a victory.

The hibs result has just created a horrible bitterness in our support, I am desperate to see them promoted so we can thump them and set the record straight next year.

Finlay James

The mere mention of McGhee or Hughes as the yardstick gives me the fear.

Robbie has just led his team to 3rd in league with 5 games to spare.

We will sign better players in the summer to replace stop gaps and those not good enough and we will improve again next season.

Take the word Robbie out and replace with Craig

I'm calling it again.

You are definitely a Hibs supporter.

As other have pointed out, our away record is not bad when compared to other seasons in recent times. Fastest manager to 50 wins.

I'm not sure this is the case - we played attractive football when we could afford to. This season, results were what mattered. getting into Europe keeps us ahead of the development plan. We will see the benefit in future seasons. We've made a lot of sacrifices as fans to keep the club in existence. Watching the team play conservatively in our first season back up shouldn't be the end of the world.

Is this true? How much contrition is desirable?

Dauda is a loan player, hardly the end of the world. Do none of last season's signings count? Ozturk? Sow? Gomis, Pallardo and Zeefuik all did the business in the league they were signed to play in last year. Djoum and Rossi have been great. 

Tactical flexibility is not a bad thing. He knew the best team when Sow was here. I'm not sure any of us necessarily do since.

Does this not contradict point 5? Are you saying he varies the team too much, or not enough? Most people think Buaben has been one of our most consistent players when fit. Djoum and Kitchen may now be better players, but over two seasons, Buaben has done well. Young wingers are inconsistent shocker.

I wouldn't bet that his persona in the dressing room is the same as the one that does press conferences.

There is a balance between giving a system time to work and changing things. Changing the plan you have trained for all week after ten minutes would be a bold step. Without retrospect, would you really be making changes that quickly? You could play 5 systems before half time.

Again, where is your evidence for this?

Again, does this point not conflict with point 5? Is it too many changes or not enough?

You talk about evidence, but don't offer any. You use emotive arguments instead of logical ones. Several of your points appear to contradict each other. You seem to view one result against Celtic as more important than the stats over Robbie's time as manager.

There is nothing to suggest that your highly selective, and at times contradictory, arguments justify your conclusion.

The Treasurer

Complete and utter garbage, nowhere near reality. We have the 3rd best squad in the league, and have finished 3rd, yet we are holding some kind of public enquiry into why this has happened.

As though the manager has done a crap job despite vastly exceeding all expectations and aims set at the start of the season.

You look at one crap game this weekend, or another couple of bad ones since we wrapped up 3rd and europe, where is your expert tactical analysis of the 60 points we have picked up this season, where is your analysis of the 6-0 drubbing of Motherwell, where is your expert analysis of papping Aberdeen out the cup and ending their league championship campaign at tynecastle, where is your expert analysis of the good results which have been delivered consistently across the 35 league games we have played, where is your expert analysis of the 16 clean sheets we have kept.

It's no coincidence that our worst run of the season happens to have occurred during this period after we have secured 3rd place and the summer holidays are in sight for the players after a long, hard season. Look at rangers they have won the league below and exactly the same thing has happened, 4 games without a victory.

The hibs result has just created a horrible bitterness in our support, I am desperate to see them promoted so we can thump them and set the record straight next year.

You were doing well until that last sentence

Bazzas right boot

Not defending the OP but I think this highlights how poor the league is. I believe we should have and could have done better in some of these games. Our squad has the ability to do so.

n a nut shell, I think everyone agrees, its the extreme views that are silly,

Yep.

And why didn't he just post on the other thread

All your points are fuelled by a dissapointing few weeks of football, this is natural for most football fans. The fact is that you wouldn't have posted this after the first 5 games of the season, you wouldn't have posted it after we were beating teams 6-0. Therefore, we, passionate football fans, need a better less reactionary measure of success. How about this...

At the start of the season, set a target. Review target midway through the season. Assess season in June.

Robbie said top 6 at start of season. Securing top six, with an extra goal of pushing Abdn. Robbies assessement (I presume) : Job done.

My target was top 3. Mid way through I thought we cuold push Abdn but that it would be hard. Assessment: Target hit, a platform to build from.

OP, what the hell was your realistic target at the start of this season?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Do people not get bored writing this stuff. Deserves a rest until next season, when we can start to evaluate exactly how good we are.

A_A wehatethehibs

You were doing well until that last sentence

Probably right, Just utterly sick of the bitterness seen among our "yur only as gid as yur last derby" supporters and want to see the record set straight in the next game vs hibs whenever that may be

Got as far as point 4, when the Fans' Player Of The Year and the Players' Player Of The Year were "forgotten" and stopped reading.

Everyone wants us to play the football we did last season but as someone else has mentioned we don't have the quality in attack to do it consistently at Premiership level.

Our players are young and make mistakes. Our manager is the same. Results wise (overall season, not specific single matches) we've had a very good league campaign and undoubtedly are planning to do better next year. A full season with Djoum, Souttar and Kitchen is already a step up from half a season with them this year.

I don't think Robbie should go (yet), but do think the OP makes some valid points, even if they could have been made on an existing thread.

I do also think Levein does have a say in things. That is why we are told all levels of teams will play the same way, and the footballing department after all is Craig's baby.

It should have been ten

It's not very bright when you're lost in space

Do people not get bored writing this stuff. Deserves a rest until next season, when we can start to evaluate exactly how good we are.

You're just not as passionate and don't care about HMFC as much as these guys apparently.

If you don't want the manager sacked after failing to beat hibs are you really a Hearts fan these days?

Craigieboy

As much as I don't have much confidence in Robbie, I've resolved to look to the summer signings/ins and outs and give him next season.

No choice really but I suppose it's the right thing to so considering the 'decent' season we've had.

The caveat is that I'll be fascinated to see how he approaches games against the big 3/4 next season. He's got to get these games right for a change.

amadjambo

As much as I don't have much confidence in Robbie, I've resolved to look to the summer signings/ins and outs and give him next season.

No choice really but I suppose it's the right thing to so considering the 'decent' season we've had.

The caveat is that I'll be fascinated to see how he approaches games against the big 3/4 next season. He's got to get these games right for a change.

I also want to see how he approaches away games to Hamilton, ICT and Motherwell. When was the last time we won at these grounds?

Son Of Anarchy

Do people not get bored writing this stuff.(apparently not going by the numerous threads). Deserves a rest until next season, when we can start to evaluate exactly how good we are.(precisely.new players new season hopefully brings new impetus. If not then let's look at options.

Half time pie

Agree. We hacked on this season and got a decent placing despite some terrible games which were put down to development of the team etc. Next season will be different in that his arse will be more exposed after this seasons settling in period has passed and the expectancy will be raised.

The next person to mention 'phoodle' should get a life ban.

Its incredibly not funny.

Its gimpy as ****.

Why the **** is there an 'H' in there ? Robbies not tic minded...

Craigieboy

The whole phoodle thing is a bit of a laugh is it not?

Can't see anyone who took that whole plane thing even remotely seriously.

I'm prepared to give Robbie more time but I lost all faith in him when he started playing Sow as a left winger if I'm being honest.

I also want to see how he approaches away games to Hamilton, ICT and Motherwell. When was the last time we won at these grounds?

We won 6 times on the road in the league this season don't you know. Why should we look to be winning games at above venues as well?

Archived