Paterson not suited to 3-5-2 ?

Smith&Weston

Tbf, if I was playing a 3-5-2 I would go,

Alexander,

Souttar,ozturk,Rossi,

Paterson,djoum,kitchen,Walker,oshinwa,

Reilly,juanma,

I think Paterson and oshinwa are both suited to lwb and rwb, but both need freedom,

No point playing that way then telling then to not go over halfway line,

I think Robbie is covering for either 6 in middle or 5 at the back in the Christmas tree formation that every time we have played it we have lost.

Just admit you are wrong Robbie not a big one,

Codie should never be on the park again a shambles of a player

I quite like that formation but I'm swap Prince for Walker and swap Walker for Reilly but play him off Juanma, I think there are situation that formation can work.

amadjambo

I quite like that formation but I'm swap Prince for Walker and swap Walker for Reilly but play him off Juanma, I think there are situation that formation can work.

Walker has played there last 2 weeks and been woeful.

It doesn't work.

Like his boss, Robbie will never admit to making a mistake.

His boss most definitely is never wrong

Tbf, if I was playing a 3-5-2 I would go,

Alexander,

Souttar,ozturk,Rossi,

Paterson,djoum,kitchen,Walker,oshinwa,

Reilly,juanma,

I think Paterson and oshinwa are both suited to lwb and rwb, but both need freedom,

No point playing that way then telling then to not go over halfway line,

I think Robbie is covering for either 6 in middle or 5 at the back in the Christmas tree formation that every time we have played it we have lost.

Just admit you are wrong Robbie not a big one,

Cowie should never be on the park again a shambles of a player

But he's not!!

Cowie is a good central midfield player and has put in some excellent performances when playing there.

Neilson made him a "shambles" by sticking him wide right on the touchline FFS!

Livvyjambo

His boss most definitely is never wrong

The boss that is never wrong is sitting back watching his pupil taking the bullets just now

If the rumours are true of Paterson not wanting to sign a new deal he will be one of a number to leave the club soon. All will help to finance new stand

No hard feelings and wish him all the best and get a reasonable fee in return...I have heard the same that he isnt exactly keen to sign a new deal as things stand just now...

But he's not!!

Cowie is a good central midfield player and has put in some excellent performances when playing there.

Neilson made him a "shambles" by sticking him wide right on the touchline FFS!

I must have missed these games when he put in an excellent performance.

amadjambo

Dundee away he was outstanding. After that I'm struggling a bit too.

What an absolute slaver Neilson is.

Just admit you made a **** of it man (again).

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

fortunately unless we have an unbelievable transfer window Robbie the genius will be gone soon enough

as for this myth that our 3-1 humping at parkhead was a success we 'dominated' the midfield at the expense of leaving an inadequate defence totally exposed - would have probably had to score 3 or 4 to get a point at best

the game was completely over with about 40 minutes to go so much so that the atmosphere was so flat even the party tune singers couldn't even be ar$ed raising a chorus or two

amadjambo

Spot on.

The boss that is never wrong is sitting back watching his pupil taking the bullets just now

He sure is. Wait until he's in the spotlight himself.

He was man of the match playing centre midfield at home to Partick and away to Dundee.

Also played very well second half at Easter Road when he got moved in to the middle.

KineticBeat

That is a weird comment. I always feel we should try 3-5-2 because it is how we could get the best out of Paterson.

Rudolf's Mate

If the rumours are true of Paterson not wanting to sign a new deal he will be one of a number to leave the club soon. All will help to finance new stand

There are other rumours going around about him being away and it's not to do with him refusing to sign a contract. 

I appreciate some clubs with players in contract disputes bench them etc. For arguments sake lets say CP indicated he wouldn't sign a new contract. Being one of the clubs best assets do you think having him sit on the bench is the best way forward? I appreciate that in this case no player is bigger than the club however if he's away then surely we need to maximise what we can get for him? The only way to do that is by playing him and in a way that gets the best out of him.

You need to go to more games mate.

Not a chance in hell of him doing that - rule one of the Levein Handbook of Management.

Livvyjambo

There are other rumours going around about him being away and it's not to do with him refusing to sign a contract.

I appreciate some clubs with players in contract disputes bench them etc. For arguments sake lets say CP indicated he wouldn't sign a new contract. Being one of the clubs best assets do you think having him sit on the bench is the best way forward? I appreciate that in this case no player is bigger than the club however if he's away then surely we need to maximise what we can get for him? The only way to do that is by playing him and in a way that gets the best out of him.

Yes but you could also continue to play players who have been poor for months and see their confidence drop and their price tag . I think we will see this with Nicholson who's fee will have dropped dramatically. Shocking man management !

Tokyo Drifter

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/robbie-neilson-hearts-won-t-abandon-their-passing-style-1-4116076

That comment at the bottom worries me about Neilson and his tactics. Paterson is probably the perfect wing-back type so not sure what to make of that comment. How he can think Nicholson and then Cowie are better options makes you wonder if Paterson is away this summer. Liam Smith would also be better in that position than the said two as he likes to get forward and can defend;

3-5-2 on a tight pitch at Tynecastle just doesn't work. Ok on wider pitches when you can allow the ball to be out wide and use the extra man in the middle.

I think 3-5-2 is worth preserving with, even at home. Can't see any other way you get Oshaniwa in the team and I agree that Paterson is perfect as a wing back, especially given his experience playing up front (remember that?). If the back three, whoever they are, can better drilled it should work, and I think Walker in behind a striker has worked quite well.

My problem with 4-4-2 is how you accommodate Nicholson and Walker in the midfield because their preference for wing play often means we get swamped in the centre and lose control of the game. I think we need a defensive midfielder (Kitchen), a playmaker (Djoum?) and A N Other, plus Nicholson and Walker.

Paterson on the bench. Losing patience will RN. Even the players must wonder what he's thinking.

Joe Hearts

Walker has played there last 2 weeks and been woeful.

It doesn't work.

100% correct but some just don't get it, not the position to get the most out of him.

Paterson on the bench. Losing patience will RN. Even the players must wonder what he's thinking.

If I was CP I'd be very reluctant to sign a new deal as well.

He's probably our most effective player too.

I think 3-5-2 is worth preserving with, even at home. Can't see any other way you get Oshaniwa in the team and I agree that Paterson is perfect as a wing back, especially given his experience playing up front (remember that?). If the back three, whoever they are, can better drilled it should work, and I think Walker in behind a striker has worked quite well.

My problem with 4-4-2 is how you accommodate Nicholson and Walker in the midfield because their preference for wing play often means we get swamped in the centre and lose control of the game. I think we need a defensive midfielder (Kitchen), a playmaker (Djoum?) and A N Other, plus Nicholson and Walker.

See this 3-5-2 we were meant to be playing on Saturday - who exactly was the other striker up top???

Looked to me that at best we were playing 3-5-1-1

willie wallace

If I was CP I'd be very reluctant to sign a new deal as well.

He's probably our most effective player too.

A baffling statement by Neilson.I think CP would be more suited to any position on the park than Don Cowie never mind right wing back.

Seriously odd comment. Am sure that Celtic would have relished playing against Cowie rather than Paterson.

And what happened to the idea about developing players? Is it impossible that Paterson can add that mystery ingredient that 'great player' Cowie has?

With Kitchen playing as an extra centre half in the early part of the game when Celtic could have had a hatful it was more like 6 at the back anyway.

You need to go to more games mate.

How many games do I need to attend to form an opinion?

Or is your opinion the only one that matters?

Everybody is entitled to my opinion!  :2thumbsup:

As another poster confirmed, Cowie was outstanding - Partick (H) Dundee (A) and second half at ER.  Were you at these games?

And he's not praying

Or maybe CP was dropped for producing an appalling display in Motherwell the week before and rather than tell the world how poor he was, Neilson's suggested to the press the move was tactical.

How many games you seen him play central midfield?

Rudolf's Mate

Or maybe CP was dropped for producing an appalling display in Motherwell the week before and rather than tell the world how poor he was, Neilson's suggested to the press the move was tactical.

Which is fine however why has he persisted with other players? 

Joe Hearts

Which is fine however why has he persisted with other players?

Discontent in the dressing room maybe, could that possibly explain why quite a few seem to be underperforming?

The excuses for Robbie are endless on here.

Livvyjambo

So the front line and CHs are not starting next week then . Paterson has had poor games and not been dropped before and let's be honest if you were trying to protect him you wouldn't say he can't play RWB in the press

amadjambo

Robbie has been restricting CP's attacking threat for a few months now. Maybe he didn't want to now say, right CP, you are in an attacking role today.

north wales jambo

For me Callum is our biggest financial asset at the club, also not used to benefit the side we have at the moment.. At best an average to good defender, but for me attacking wise whether stretching play, being a nuisance, heading and shooting he is as good as any forward thinking player we have at the club.. How many decent crosses do walker or Nicholson do in a match, to much running sideways, I like walker when he is on his game, but lately from what I've seen live, tv or read 1 in 4 games not consistent enough.. Sam should have been dropped/rested 2 months ago. I've seen cowrie at Wigan, not bad but nether a wing back, for me wing backs need that engine to be up and down the pitch and that fits pattersons profile. I can't understand Robbies thinking my only conclusion is Callum is away in the summer. Playing with wing backs Saturday without Callum, hard to understand, going to 442 second half is admitting it never worked, but for me if Callum was not suitable first half, why bring him on to a more defensive back line.

I don't have a problem with 3-5-2 either.

The problem is we did not start 3-5-2. We actually were set up 3-6-1 with Juanma totally isolated upfront.

As for this Paterson chat, I get the feeling that this is a bit of a smoke screen to cover Robbie's arse when he AGAIN started the team in the wrong formation.

Well I've already been quite clear on that - if we aren't selling him and he wasn't injured then it was a ****ing stupid decision not to start him.

What we don't know yet is if we are selling him.

Put it this way if Calum is still here next year and we play 3-5-2 without him in the team then I'll genuinely start to doubt Neilson's view of life.

Everybody is entitled to my opinion!  :2thumbsup:

As another poster confirmed, Cowie was outstanding - Partick (H) Dundee (A) and second half at ER.  Were you at these games?

I'm not and wouldn't go near it with a bargepole   :2thumbsup:

I was at the Partick game and do not agree with you Don.  I didn't see your one and a half good games away from home which I am sure you will feel is good value for money signing a 32 year old on a 3 year contract.

Captain Canada

If you look at most successful teams over the years, they were built on consistent line-ups and formations.

At this stage of the season those two things should be settled. In defence especially, we need to get an understanding.

Agree Paterson is better suited as a wingback but that's because he struggles defensively. That Killie winger, and Forrest absolutely roasted him. Dives in and gets beat all the time. Personally, I think he should be a right midfield in a 4-4-2 or a right winger in a 4-3-3. I'd play with players we have:

Alexander
Smith Ozturk Souttar Rossi 
Buaben Kitchen Djoum
Paterson Juanma Walker

But Robbie wants to try play some cool 3-1-4-1-1 nonsense. Whole season and doesn't know his best team. And the reason we have went off form has been needless tinkering. E.g. bringing Kitchen in when unfit, shoehorning Cowie in to the team. Switching from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 to 4-1-2-2-1 to 4-1-4-1. Overthinking it!

If we had a settled side all season and played our best players, we would be much closer than 20 points and possibly looking forward to a cup final in three weeks. 

Now given where we are two years after administration, you have to say he has done a good job but it's the same tactical errors, erratic team selection and inability to compete regularly in the big games which makes me doubt whether he can take us to the title or not.

Archived