Gorgie Farm needs your help

redm

Hi folks, was sad to read the news from Gorgie Farm today. Sounds like they're having a right old tough time of it and are in desperate need of some extra funding. It's a brilliant resource and much loved Edinburgh institution, and it'd be so sad to see it close. If you've ever visited (or plan to) and enjoyed it, please consider helping them out with a donation of some sort. I know they'd be really grateful for any help they can get from the Hearts community.

---------------------

GORGIE CITY FARM LAUNCHES URGENT FUNDRAISING APPEAL

Gorgie City Farm needs your help to raise ?100,000 to stop the charity from closing.

Rising costs and a serious reduction in external funding means the City Farm is now asking its supporters to help keep the Farm open.

Despite cost cutting measures, including closing the loss-making caf?, and the award of a three-year grant from City of Edinburgh Council, the charity urgently needs public donations to continue delivering leading programmes for young and vulnerable people from across the city.

Having supported the local community for 38 years, Gorgie City Farm works with over 100 volunteers every week through training, work experience, social opportunities and personal support. The majority of volunteers are people with support needs, with long waiting lists to join. The Farm also supports young teenagers from disadvantaged backgrounds, providing them with support and practical education they would not find elsewhere.

To secure the future of the City Farm, ?100,000 is needed.

Edinburgh Council, Councillors Donald Wilson (Lord Provost), Cathy Fullerton, Eric Milligan, Gavin Corbett and Denis Dixon are backing this urgent appeal.

To donate to save Gorgie City Farm, please text ?FARM44 ?5? to 70070, visit https://www.justgiving.com/gorgiecityfarmassociation or send a cheque to GORGIE CITY FARM, 51 Gorgie Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2LA.

Thanks for posting redm. My kids went quite a few times when they were younger so I'll definitely donate.

Nookie Bear

Was there recently and the kids love it.

I knew the cafe had closed but was not aware of te underlying extent of the problem. I can't help feeling that every adult who went would be more than happy to pay ?1 entry, 50p for kids - whatever - for the chance to enjoy it. Seems reasonable.

3fingersreid

Loved taking the kids there in the past , hope they get the funding required to keep it going .

Nookie Bear

How many go and never donate ?

Probably quite a few. It's not exactly obvious that you even can donate.

loveofthegame

Took my nephew just a few weeks ago and he loved it. It is a bit of an institution. Not sure how much my fiver will help but will definitely donate, would be very sorry to see it close.

Along with the brewery, one of the smells that reminds you you're on your way to Tynie!

Just donated,always used to take my son there before games,its always been part of the Gorgie community as long as i can remember,sure it can raise a few quid on match days if they done a bucket collection,good luck to them.

Budge mentioned she was going help with the surrounding area did she not? Would be interested to know if Hearts can help out.

Apologies as this is not really pertinent but everytime I hear 'Wing of Change' by the Scorpions, even to this day I still sing "Down to Gorgie Farm".

upgotheheads

I was about to ask if you can eat there. I come through from the west and usually have my breakfast before the game in Gorgie, but  someone mentioned that he Cafe has closed, is that so?

Nookie Bear

I was about to ask if you can eat there. I come through from the west and usually have my breakfast before the game in Gorgie, but  someone mentioned that he Cafe has closed, is that so?

Yeah, closed a few months back

loveofthegame

A lot of fivers needed to raise ?100,000 though, and how long will that last (just says "to secure the future")?!

Genuine question, not sure anyone will have the answer though.

Can Kickback not donate quite a bit, maybe instead of Match and POY sponsorships. Think Hearts can cope now, and diverting to local charities would be a much better use of any surplus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Son Of Anarchy

Gorgie farm was a huge part of my sons childhood. His gran lived 100 yds away on

McLeod st and the pair of them spent many happy times there. Will certainly be contributing to this.

loveofthegame

It costs ?1000 per day to keep the farm running.

Actually?! If so, ?100k feels like a drop in the ocean...

Son Of Anarchy

Apologies as this is not really pertinent but everytime I hear 'Wing of Change' by the Scorpions, even to this day I still sing "Down to Gorgie Farm".

Likewise but Gorgie Park :)

KingsknoweKid

Maybe we could have a collection before a home game before the end of the season. I'm sure that would get a few pounds into the kitty quickly.

Stephen Muddie

I hope we can keep this wonderful place open

Sorry to hear of this, collections teams at home games be good idea. Pity season about to end in that regard

Stephen Muddie

One of the best ways I can think of right now is just to make a visit and actually put cash in the box over the preseason break. If we encourage everyone we know to go and put what they can afford in it might help a bit. The thing about community resources is that the community can sometimes take them a bit for granted.

Save Gorgie Farm Tshirts. All profits into the kitty (example not telling anybody what to do) raises awareness and prompts questions rather than preaching to people

I take my laddie every week, just as my mum did 25 years ago - he loves it, as do I. Would be such a shame to see it disappear - get donating, folks!

gashauskis9

I thought it was just me :pleasing:

Anyhow, I'll defo make a donation. It's a huge part of the community.

Yip. ?1000 per day.

How does that break down? Sounds like a hell of a lot of money.

Ive absolutely no idea, sorry.

Feeding the animals for starters, vet bills?

Feeding the animals for starters, vet bills?

Yes, I would imagine money is spent on both. I was just wondering if he/she had a break down of how much of the ?1000 was spent on different things.

Straightfromtheheart

Gorgie City Farm

2 hrs ?

We're well on our way! Edinburgh and beyond came together to bring in over ?13,000 to help ?#?savegorgiefarm?. A fantastic start and makes us feel well loved! Time to keep the momentum up.

We'll have tins outside the farm today before/after the hearts/celtic match

JudyJudyJudy

Sadly the cafe closed at the end of Jan. So sad to see the workers lose their jobs and yet this corrupt council are stlll harking on about the bloody Trams. It really angers me that a good community resource for many different types of people may also lose its funding. Disgusted really. 

Nelly Terraces

Gorgie City Farm

2 hrs ?

We're well on our way! Edinburgh and beyond came together to bring in over ?13,000 to help ?#?savegorgiefarm?. A fantastic start and makes us feel well loved! Time to keep the momentum up.

We'll have tins outside the farm today before/after the hearts/celtic match

Was going to say, get the buckets outside the game today as certain folk would gladly chip in for this brilliant part of our community. Good to see they are.

In longer term, they should speak to FoH re fundraising etc, sure 1 thing we've got good knowledge & experience of is raising money for a body in financial soapy!

Awww - I want to pat a wee piglet on the head now. Oink! Oink!

Stephen Muddie

Was going to say, get the buckets outside the game today as certain folk would gladly chip in for this brilliant part of our community. Good to see they are.

In longer term, they should speak to FoH re fundraising etc, sure 1 thing we've got good knowledge & experience of is raising money for a body in financial soapy!

Awww - I want to pat a wee piglet on the head now. Oink! Oink!

Mmmm bacon. That's great news though. ps folks you can donate in the Tynecastle arms. they have a collection tin out of sight, so you can ask them to donate your change just it's not visible

They got ?600 before game and ?400 after from both sets of fans. Also a ?1000 anonymous donation..

Kilmacolm Jambo

This isn't a dig at Gorgie Farm but do they have a business plan that they will implement once they have reached their funding target?

I have enjoyed many a trip there with my boys, however, there appears to be a lack of business sense with the management and whilst a "hand out" will paper over the cracks for a while, unless steps are taken it will be a futile gesture.

A small entry charge should have been introduced years ago (waived if you spent a certain amount in the cafe) to encourage self sufficiency and stop the reliance on handouts. I do appreciate the work they do for the community etc but there are hundreds of people who visit every month who could afford a couple of pound charge.

In saying that, funding for "the arts" is even more ludicrous.

Last time I was there the chickens had a baldy look feathers aplenty missing . The animals seemed happy but what choice do they have

Answer - none

Give it up , get the animals to a proper farm

Sorry.

From an animal lover .

Archived