Hillsborough Verdict

Mikey1874

Nookie Bear

Not closure if still lessons to be learned

And while I might be in favour of foregiveness holding people accountable is how we do things.

Criminal charges are inevitable.

In terms of how we watch football, lessons have been learned, wouldn;t you say?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Boab

So? They shouldn't have been let in. Unless you were expecting the Liverpool fans to keep a count and turn themselves around when they reached a number. It's not up to the fans to work out when it's at capacity.

Crowd control isn't that hard

Its just the Police and others didn't plan properly nor then deal urgently with the build up of fans.

Nookie Bear

Not closure if still lessons to be learned

And while I might be in favour of foregiveness holding people accountable is how we do things.

Criminal charges are inevitable.

I think lessons were learned in terms of how we watch football and how the fans are controlled, wouldn;t you say?

If individuals or companies are negligent then, yes, accountability is needed.

the general

CPS will, no doubt, take action.

The victory for the families is a closure of sorts but now that the rulings have been made, some people will now be held to account...and quite right too.

My respect for the families in this fight in unquantifiable.

as usual most of the people responsible will evade the punishment they deserve due to the time this has taken to get to this

the police then were basically out of control and untouchable  

as usual most of the people responsible will evade the punishment they deserve due to the time this has taken to get to this

the police then were basically out of control and untouchable  

Indeed.

It was rotten from the start.

Just wanted to say that for those questioning what this all achieves - if a single person died in an incident that involved the police etc, people would understand that closure would be brought by finally getting an official judgement on the people at fault for that death. Yet when it's 96 people and 27 years, and yes a cost of millions, people tend to move into the camp of "what's the point, what will it achieve"

While I DO get why this question is asked - the answer is the same for the incident of 1 person and 1 police officer or 96 people and the police force: the country runs on a justice system and this is what it must do, bring about a just and honest verdict of who was to blame. 

If a loved one of mine was to die in controversial circumstances - I would want to see it through to the end, not roll over after years and question if there is a point.

Just wanted to say that for those questioning what this all achieves - if a single person died in an incident that involved the police etc, people would understand that closure would be brought by finally getting an official judgement on the people at fault for that death. Yet when it's 96 people and 27 years, and yes a cost of millions, people tend to move into the camp of "what's the point, what will it achieve"

While I DO get why this question is asked - the answer is the same for the incident of 1 person and 1 police officer or 96 people and the police force: the country runs on a justice system and this is what it must do, bring about a just and honest verdict of who was to blame. 

If a loved one of mine was to die in controversial circumstances - I would want to see it through to the end, not roll over after years and question if there is a point.

Well said.

Quite strange as thousands of them travelled without tickets.

At previous games at the same and other venues, the police had an outer cordon around the environs of the stadium, where there was ticket checking to ensure those without tickets didn't get anywhere near the turnstiles. The match commander on the day decided it wasn't necessary. One of several fatal errors made in the planning stage.

Riddley Walker

Its just the Police and others didn't plan properly nor then deal urgently with the build up of fans.

That was my point, the fans can't be blamed for going over-capacity.

SM Sheffield

Whilst the decision about fans being unlawfully killed is correct, and I'm pleased there is now some closure, the decision to absolve the fans completely of any blame for me is not right and was a decision that was always going to be made.

Locals that were in the area at the time know what happened, it was the innocent fans that died, I'm not blaming them and I feel awful for their families, but this decision was too highly charged and emotional and was never going to be impartial. And if their fans had been found guilty of bad behaviour the families would have continued forever in the courts until they got 'justice'.

There has never been a single game of football of this magnitude where all fans have behaved themselves impeccably, it was due to football fans behaviour at the time that pens and fencing were put in place at football grounds across the country. Hillsborough was no less safe than any other ground in the country at the time and an accident like this was always going to happen.

The cover ups were a disgrace and people should be punished for that, the FA have accepted responsibility, SYP have accepted responsibility, but Liverpool fans again refuse to accept any.

Be good to hear some more scrutiny of the roles of Sheffield Wednesday football club and the ambulence service who mostly avoided the scrutiny these 27 years.

Riddley Walker

Whilst the decision about fans being unlawfully killed is correct, and I'm pleased there is now some closure, the decision to absolve the fans completely of any blame for me is not right and was a decision that was always going to be made.

Locals that were in the area at the time know what happened, it was the innocent fans that died, I'm not blaming them and I feel awful for their families, but this decision was too highly charged and emotional and was never going to be impartial. And if their fans had been found guilty of bad behaviour the families would have continued forever in the courts until they got 'justice'.

There has never been a single game of football of this magnitude where all fans have behaved themselves impeccably, it was due to football fans behaviour at the time that pens and fencing were put in place at football grounds across the country. Hillsborough was no less safe than any other ground in the country at the time and an accident like this was always going to happen.

The cover ups were a disgrace and people should be punished for that, the FA have accepted responsibility, SYP have accepted responsibility, but Liverpool fans again refuse to accept any.

What did the fans do specifically that means they're partially liable? Edited by Riddley Walker

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

[quote name="SM Sheffield" post="5361394" timestamp="1461673053

That's because the fans were not to blame.

Remnants of Standards

At previous games at the same and other venues, the police had an outer cordon around the environs of the stadium, where there was ticket checking to ensure those without tickets didn't get anywhere near the turnstiles. The match commander on the day decided it wasn't necessary. One of several fatal errors made in the planning stage.

Spot on.

Not to over-simplify matters, but Liverpool fans stated that at the same venue the previous year against the same

team, barriers had been set up to filter ticket less fans away from the ground.

As we all know that's a common occurrence up here for certain games; so why not on that particular day for such a huge match?

Rudolf's Mate

It was a disaster waiting to happen. It could have been any number of clubs. 

Have you posted what comes across as a defence of Sheffield on every fan website?

Bindy Badgy

Hillsborough was no less safe than any other ground in the country at the time and an accident like this was always going to happen.

Long time since I read the book but I think Nick Hornby said in Fever Pitch that Arsenal didn't get semi-final matches as they refused to install fences. Without fences the Liverpool fans would have been able to escape onto the pitch.

It's a great but shocking article. It's a ****ing disgrace what happened that day, and since.

The families deserve nothing but the greatest admiration for their determination to get the truth made public. They deserve justice and hopefully they feel vindicated today.

SM Sheffield

That's because the fans were not to blame.

Some local people including turnstyle operators and people at the club on the day (that have given evidence previously) would disagree.

The outcome is what it is, as said above I don't think there was ever going to be any other outcome. I am pleased the families have some closure and I hope action will be taken where applicable.

I'm not commenting further as I don't want to leave myself potentially open to something that is being discussed in courts, but not everyone agrees with that particular part of the verdict.

It was a disaster waiting to happen. It could have been any number of clubs.

Agreed. It was a terrible tragedy but the stadia of the time were a disaster waiting to happen.

Have you posted what comes across as a defence of Sheffield on every fan website?

Why would I do that?

My view:

The jury have considered two years of evidence. I'd say their conclusion will be pretty definitive.

Regardless of previous fan history the authorities had an absolute duty of care for the safety of those who attended that day.

The absolute failure in planning and in their response to the catastrophe caused is theirs alone. As mentioned the HSE and now the jury have absolved the fans.

Finally justice is the least that any human being deserves. The subsequent lies and cover up denied them that at previous inquiries.

Irrespective of cost or what it achieves, they have that now.

RIP

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rudolf's Mate

Agreed. It was a terrible tragedy but the stadia of the time were a disaster waiting to happen.

Like you've alluded to, it could also have happened at a number of other stadia up and down the country. The difference was there was a huge catalogue of errors at this particular event.

Some local people including turnstyle operators and people at the club on the day (that have given evidence previously) would disagree.

Football, racing even concerts, regardless of the event if it's not managed properly it can end up in tragedy. We've spent 20+ years with people telling us it was the fans fault so you can understand why people now have a different view now everything's coming out in the public domain.  

Having a man in charge of policing the game who had never ever been in charge of any football match previously was pivotal in this. Who ever made that decision has a lot to answer for.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Having a man in charge of policing the game who had never ever been in charge of any football match previously was pivotal in this. Who ever made that decision has a lot to answer for.

The man who made that decision died in 2011

Malinga the Swinga

The outcome is what it is, as said above I don't think there was ever going to be any other outcome. I am pleased the families have some closure and I hope action will be taken where applicable.

I'm not commenting further as I don't want to leave myself potentially open to something that is being discussed in courts, but not everyone agrees with that particular part of the verdict.

Why would I do that?

You do realise that you are not allowed to question the impeccable behaviour of the Liverpool fans that day. I hope you aren't suggesting that the jury were swayed by an emotional campaign being forced down their throats over 20 odd years, and that the determination of fans without tickets to force their way into a football ground in any way shape or form led to people, with tickets being crushed, because that simply is not allowed.

Do I feel sorry for the parents of the deceased. Of course, who wouldn't. Well, the parents got the 'justice' they wanted, but then again, they would never have accepted any justice that didn't absolve completely their own support as minds have been firmly entrenched over time.

Were the police to blame? Yep, of course they were partly responsible. Was stewarding and stadium design responsible? Probably yes. Should they have admitted responsibility earlier? Yes, of course they should.

Should the Liverpool fans acknowledge their own failings? Well that will never happen.

Finally, can we please lay this whole thing to bed now this is over or will we have to listen to the professional scousers going on and on about this for a few years yet. They have after all, managed to conveniently forget Heysel.

Салатные палочки

They have after all, managed to conveniently forget Heysel.

That's pish and you know it.  

You do realise that you are not allowed to question the impeccable behaviour of the Liverpool fans that day. I hope you aren't suggesting that the jury were swayed by an emotional campaign being forced down their throats over 20 odd years, and that the determination of fans without tickets to force their way into a football ground in any way shape or form led to people, with tickets being crushed, because that simply is not allowed.

Do I feel sorry for the parents of the deceased. Of course, who wouldn't. Well, the parents got the 'justice' they wanted, but then again, they would never have accepted any justice that didn't absolve completely their own support as minds have been firmly entrenched over time.

Were the police to blame? Yep, of course they were partly responsible. Was stewarding and stadium design responsible? Probably yes. Should they have admitted responsibility earlier? Yes, of course they should.

Should the Liverpool fans acknowledge their own failings? Well that will never happen.

Finally, can we please lay this whole thing to bed now this is over or will we have to listen to the professional scousers going on and on about this for a few years yet. They have after all, managed to conveniently forget Heysel.

This confirms my feeling that I should put you on ignore. What a disgusting post from one of the boards nasty little men.

Edited by CollyWolly

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

That David Conn piece is quite something. And I know it's the Internet and forums are impersonal but shame on anyone who comes on the same day as a verdict like that, with the raw emotions it generates, and types "yawn" or still attempts to lay the blame on supporters. Cretins.

Edit - disgusting contribution by Malinga. Ashamed to support the same club as you.

Edited by Diana Prince

JudyJudyJudy

I think the thing which is most disgusting about the whole incident was the blaming of the fans and the tarnishing of them particularly by the scum Sun newspaper. 

Im glad that people may be held accountable for this but ultimately it was an accident waiting to happen.  It could have happened at any ground. 

I hope the Liverpool families have some closure now.

CavySlaveJambo

1989 Taylor Inquiry - Fans absolved

2012 Hillsborough Independent Panel - Fans absolved

2014-16 Inquest Fans absolved

See the pattern.... Oh forgot

A rag of a newspaper and media reports in April 1989 says the opposite so they must be true

F@&king disgusting post.

I think you have just missed the entire point of this inquiry and the independent jury's conclusion.

Didn't know you were on Kickback Kelvin .

Seymour M Hersh

Quite surprised it took this idiot until post 79 to come out with his utter garbage and venom against LFC and it's fans.  You need professional help you choob.

You are a hideous, pathetic and sad individual.

Edited by ecjambo

Governor Tarkin

Not sure I agree with your last point. Your case was probably stronger without it.

However, for the most part

:greatpost:

Toxteth O'Grady

7. Behaviour of the supporters: Was there any behaviour on the part of the football supporters which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?

Jury's answer: No

I will take this from a Jury that listened to and watched 2,years of evidence over some arseholes on here that don't like Liverpool fans

Placid Casual

I hope today's verdict finally brings some closure to the families after 27 years of lies, deceit, smears and insinuation.

Sadly there will always be arseholes who will continue with the insinuation, as this thread proves.

Remnants of Standards

Wow.

Even after the mountain of evidence presented and analysed over the last 2 years you still come across attitudes as these.

I'll get a ban if I say what I really think, but I'll just ask Malinga to let go of his obvious prejudice against Liverpool and it's fans for ten minutes and read David Conn's piece in the Guardian today, that's all.

So the suggestion from some is that Liverpool fans got pished, turned up late and tried to gain access without a ticket at a cup semi-final.

Let's just imagine for a moment that's all true.

It doesn't matter.

It was the role of the agencies involved, the FA, Police, St John's Ambulance, Sheffield Wednesday, basically every one involved in the planning, to anticipate that behaviour (it would hardly be uncommon at the time) and to put in sufficient mitigants to remove the risk of what happened. From stadium choice, to crowd flow and control. They didn't. Then they had to have a contingency in case their initial 'plan' failed. They didn't have that either.

Liverpool supporters were entitled to be protected that day, they were even entitled to be protected from any extreme behaviour of fellow Liverpool fans if necessary (it wasn't).

96 Liverpool fans died because a failure of preparation and the admitted incompetence of the man in charge of policing that day.

Anyone peddling a contrary agenda because of some imagined loyalty to one of their rival football clubs, or any other reason really, is pathetic and frankly makes them come across as quite the arsehole.

Edited by Pistol1874

Respect to the families of the 96 Liverpool fans that died, they fought for justice and they got the right verdict today,its sad that it has taken so long.

You will never walk alone.

RIP 96 Liverpool fans

So the suggestion from some is that Liverpool fans got pished, turned up late and tried to gain access without a ticket at a cup semi-final.

Let's just imagine for a moment that's all true.

It doesn't matter.

It was the role of the agencies involved, the FA, Police, St John's Ambulance, Sheffield Wednesday, basically every one involved in the planning, to anticipate that behaviour (it would hardly be uncommon at the time) and to put in sufficient mitigants to remove the risk of what happened. From stadium choice, to crowd flow and control. They didn't. Then they had to have a contingency in case their initial 'plan' failed. They didn't have that either.

Liverpool supporters were entitled to be protected that day, they were even entitled to be protected from any extreme behaviour of fellow Liverpool fans if necessary (it wasn't).

96 Liverpool fans died because a failure of preparation and the admitted incompetence of the man in charge of policing that day.

Anyone peddling a contrary agenda because of some imagined loyalty to one of their rival football clubs, or any other reason really, is pathetic and frankly makes them come across as quite the arsehole.

This post has nailed it imo.

The public are entitled to be protected.It's clear in this case that just about every agency involved in this event failed in their duty. As for the Police their incompetence and lies should surprise no one who was around at that time. They thought they were untouchable in that era in their dealings with the public.