******The Official EUROPEAN ( merged ) Thread******

Statto

babertonjambo

.....em....Zagreb !

?350 a head if I remember correctly....possibly slightly more.....worth it even though the result was awful.

Thankfully my memory of the game is pretty much non-existent due to the amount I drank during the day!

Great atmosphere in the square where all the jambos gathered. The Marius Zaliukas conga was also a highlight!

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the days when you could finish 5th in the league and still qualify for Europe how times have changed.

Great achievement to get there and hopefully a draw that will be easy to get to with a beatable team. Liverpool and spurs were great but ended to euro adventure far to quickly.

Wasn't that the case when we qualified at end of 82/83 season and got drawn against PSG.

I remember Gambo airlines, was a good trip. I'm sure the chartering company have went bust now though.

Bazzas right boot

Hearts of all the Scottish teams have a genuinely mediocre European record in the true sense of the word.

Generally over 2 legs we usually lose to opponents we are meant to and likewise beat teams we are meant to.

We've never suffered a humiliating loss in a tie to a minnow.

But by the same token we've never beaten a 'Big Name' over the two legs. (Lokomotiv, Vienna and Braga our 3 best 2 leg wins).

2 wonderful 1st leg results against Bayern and Bordeaux. A great group result in Basle.

I generally agree, but let the record show draws at anfield and white hart lane, results not to be sniffed at.

We also beat athletico Madrid and stuggart.

Mac_fae_Gillie

June 30th / July 7th pure madness, even against very poor opposition Hearts need to start training 10th June..

Season down time all most gone, I suppose Hearts could start player younger players til end of the season not as if anything to effect position in league except that of 4th place who could make Europa too but as long as we play same basic guys Vs those below us its still even.

Other Hibs. You know the Maltese one.

I know. But with a name like that they are bound to Hibs it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Brilliant thread, great work OP. Assuming we're in the first round I'd take an away trip to ROI or NI on July the 7th as I have a wedding near the border on the 8th!

If that's not possible then a decent away trip for the first leg would be great and I'll miss the home leg, or a tie against a team with a rubbish away trip for the second leg.

Can't wait to get planning it all.

CavySlaveJambo

I know. But with a name like that they are bound to Hibs it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You'd be suprised.  

One of - if not the - most successful clubs in Malta

onetruejambo

Sarajevo or Mostar for me, great trips and great memories, need to get out of Britain or it's not Europe for me!

So we could earn 400k by entering the first round and beating a team followed by winning or losing in the 2nd round?

No, it's not accumulative.

You get 200,000 euros if knocked out in round 1, 210,000 if knocked out in round 2, etc. You wouldn't get 420,000 for being knocked out in round 2.

But of course you should sell out your home game, plus maybe net some tv cash like Aberdeen did from premier sports, so actually yeh you'd probably exceed the ?400,000 pretty comfortably.

The Greek FA have been given a deadline of today, to reverse the decision to cancel the Greek Cup. It had originally been cancelled due to 'crowd violence'. UEFA has warned Greece it faces an automatic suspension if the decision isn't reversed.

In the first post, I knew the Greek Cup had been cancelled but didn't know UEFA wanted it played. I had assumed the 3rd Europa League spot would be awarded to the team that finished 4th in the play-off. The team we need, Panionios, would need to finish 3rd in the play-off if a team wins the Greek Cup that hasn't already qualified for Europe, or 4th if a team wins the Greek Cup that has qualified for Europe.

If it doesn't get played, we'll need to wait on UEFA's decision, whether they lose all their European places or just the Cup Winners spot.

An update to the Champions League/Europa League from this season;

2015/16 Champions League or Europa League

We need the winner or either of these competitions to qualify for next season's Europa League through their domestic league. In the CL, only Man City haven't already qualified for next season's CL. We'd need;

Man City to win CL and finish outside the top-4, 4 points ahead with 6 games to go.

or one of the following from the Europa League;

Shaktar to win the EL and finish outside the top-2. Currently 2nd, 12 points ahead of 3rd with 5 games to go.

Villarreal to win the EL and finish outside the top-4. Currently 4th, 8 points ahead of 5th with 6 games to go.

Sevilla to win the EL and either finish 5th-7th or win the Cup. Currently 7th, 7 points ahead of 8th with 6 games to go.

Liverpool to win the EL and finish top-6. Currently 8th, 4 points behind 6th + 1 game in hand with 6 games to go, or 7th if Man Utd/West Ham win the Cup and finish top-6.

If any one of the above happens, a Cypriot team ranked above us will enter a round later.

Sevilla and Liverpool are probably the best chances of this happening.

If Greece loses one European place, the Cypriot team will definitely move into the 3rd. If this happens, Poland will be the next team to possibly have a team moved from QR2 to QR3. The Cup Final is between Legia and Lech Poznan, both ranked above Hearts, Legia are currently top though so would have to win the cup and not win the league to take the Cup Winners spot. I'll look into more once UEFA's decision is known.

Gorgie_Rules

Do they still give you a pool or 4 or 5 teams the night before/the morning of the draw that you can potentially get?

Allowayjambo1874

Do they still give you a pool or 4 or 5 teams the night before/the morning of the draw that you can potentially get?

Yes usually about 7/8 teams and there doesn't seem any rhyme or reason to it.

The Greek FA have been given a deadline of today, to reverse the decision to cancel the Greek Cup. It had originally been cancelled due to 'crowd violence'. UEFA has warned Greece it faces an automatic suspension if the decision isn't reversed.

In the first post, I knew the Greek Cup had been cancelled but didn't know UEFA wanted it played. I had assumed the 3rd Europa League spot would be awarded to the team that finished 4th in the play-off. The team we need, Panionios, would need to finish 3rd in the play-off if a team wins the Greek Cup that hasn't already qualified for Europe, or 4th if a team wins the Greek Cup that has qualified for Europe.

If it doesn't get played, we'll need to wait on UEFA's decision, whether they lose all their European places or just the Cup Winners spot.

The Greek Cup will be resumed.

Only Atromitos are still in the last-4 that haven't/cannot qualify for Europe through the league. If they win the Cup, we need Panionios to finish 3rd, anyone else and Panionios have to finish 4th.

Would The Rangers winning the cup be one of the results going against our second round seeding, or are they treated as a new club and therefore only have the country co-efficient for the last five years (dropping them below us)?

Would The Rangers winning the cup be one of the results going against our second round seeding, or are they treated as a new club and therefore only have the country co-efficient for the last five years (dropping them below us)?

Yes they will have a lower co-efficient than us having not competed in Europe for so long

Yes they will have a lower co-efficient than us having not competed in Europe for so long

Or ever, depending on one's point of view :)

Here is an update of the first post, including Cup Final dates and last league game dates.

Celtic losing today is 1 of our 11. It means Motherwell cannot qualify for Europe. To confirm, Rangers would be ranked below us, only Celtic and Motherwell are ranked above us.

In association order;

Greece

Panionios to finish 3rd in the 4 team European Play off if Atromitos win the Cup or 4th if any other team wins the Cup. No games played yet. AEK start on 3pts, Panathinaikos 2pts, PAOK and Panionios 0pts. Dates TBA.

Czech Republic

Slavia Prague, Zbrojovka Brno or Slovacko to finish 4th if Jablonec win the Cup or 5th if Jablonec do not win the cup. They'll probably not win the cup so 5th will be what we're looking for. Slavia 5th, 7 pts behind 4th with 5 to play. Zbrojovka and Slovacko 6th and 7th. Cup Final date unknown.

Romania

Viitorul Constanta or Targu Mures to finish 4th if Cluj or Targu Mures wins the Cup, or 5th if Steaua or Dinamo Bucharest wins the Cup and finish top-4. Viitorul currently 5th, Targu Mures 6th, 3-4 games left, 4th 6 clear. Steaua or Dinamo to win the Cup is our best option, facing each other in the SF so one will be in the final. Cup Final: 10th May.

Austria

Admira to finish 2nd/3rd (Currently 5th, 3pts behind 3rd with 5 to go) and not win the Cup (Semi final) or finish 4th (1pt behind 4th with 5 to go) and either Austria Vienna or Red Bull Salzburg wins the Cup. Cup Final 19th May.

Croatia

Lokomotiva to either finish top-3 (Currently 4th, 9 behind 3rd with 5 to go) or finish 4th (2pts ahead of 5th) and Belupo don't win the Cup (Finalists). Cup Final: 10th May.

Poland [x2]

[1] Legia Warsaw to win the league, currently top by 3 points, 6 games to go. Last game: 15th May.

[2] Lech Poznan to not win the Cup (Finalists) AND they must finish outside the top-4, currently 6th, 2 points behind 3rd/4th, 6 games to go. Cup Final: 2nd May.

Israel [x2]

[1] Maccabi Tel Aviv to win the league, currently 2nd, 1 point behind, 5 games to go. Last game 20th May.

[2] Maccabi Haifa to not win the Cup AND they must finish outside the top-3 or if Maccabi Tel Aviv win the Cup, they must finish outside the top-4, currently 5th, 2 points behind 4th, with 5 games to go. Cup Final date unknown.

Denmark [x2]

[1] SonderjyskE to finish 2nd/3rd or 4th if the Cup winner finishes top-3. Currently 2nd, 4 points ahead of 4th and 5th, 4th has 1 game in hand. 8 games to go. Last game: 29th May.

[2] Aarhus to win the Cup. Currently 2-0 up after the Semi Final 1st leg. Cup Final date: 5th May.

Scotland [x2]

[1] Celtic to win the league, currently 1st, 8 clear, 5 games to go.

[2] Motherwell to finish outside the top-4 if Celtic wins the Cup. - CELTIC CANNOT WIN THE CUP.

Sweden

BK Hacken to win the Cup. They're in the final v Malmo. Cup Final date: 5th May.

Bulgaria

Ludogorets to win the league, currently top, 14 points clear with 7 games to go. Last game: 28th May.

Serbia [3]

[1] Red Star or Partizan to win the league. Red Star 12 clear with 6 games to go. Partizan 3rd. Last game date unknown.

[2] If Red Star win the league, Partizan to not win the Cup AND finish outside the top-3 or if Partizan win the league, Red Star to finish outside the top-3 or top4 if Partizan win the Cup. 

[3] Vojvodina to finish outside the top-3 or top-4 if Partizan win the Cup and finished top-3. Vojvodina currently 4th, 2 points behind 3rd with 6 games to go. Cup Final date: 11th May.

Slovenia

Maribor to win the league, currently 2nd, 2 points behind with 6 games to go. Last game: 20th May.

Azerbaijan [x2]

[1] Qarabag to win the league, currently top, 10 points clear with 6 games to go. Last game: 20th May.

[2] Neftchi Baku to not win the cup AND finish outside the top-4 or the top-5 if Qarabag or Gabala win the Cup and finish top-4. Currently 7th, 8 points behind 5th with 6 games to go. Cup Final date: 25th May.

Slovakia [x2]

[1] Slovan Bratislava to win the league, currently 2nd, 6 points behind with 6 games to go. Last game: 21st May.

[2] Spartak Trnava to finish outside the top-4. Currently 5th, 1 point behind 4th.

Hungary [x2]

[1] Debrecen to finish outside the top-3 or the top-4 if the Cup Winner finishes top-3, 3rd with 3 to go. Cup Final date: 14th May.

[2] Videoton to finish outside the top-3 or the top-4 if the Cup Winner finishes top-3, 5th with 3 to go.

Cup Final between Ferencvaros (will finish top3) and Ujpest (4 points behind 3rd with 3 games to go).

Moldova

Sheriff Tiraspol to win the league, currently 2nd, 3 points behind with 5 games to go. Last game: 20th May.

Albania

Skenderbeu Korce to win the league, currently top, 2 points clear with 6 games to go. Last game: 17th May.

2015/16 Champions League or Europa League

We need the winner or either of these competitions to qualify for next season's Europa League through their domestic league. In the CL, only Wolfsburg and Man City haven't already qualified for next season's CL. We'd need;

-Man City to win CL and finish outside the top-4, 4 points ahead with 5 games to go.

or one of the following from the Europa League;

-Shaktar to win the EL and finish outside the top-2. Currently 2nd, 13 points ahead of 3rd with 4 games to go.

-Villarreal to win the EL and finish outside the top-4. Currently 4th, 6 points ahead of 5th with 5 games to go.

-Sevilla to win the EL and either finish 5th-7th or win the Cup. Currently 7th, 8 points ahead of 8th with 5 games to go.

-Liverpool to win the EL and finish top-6. Currently 7th, 2 points behind 6th + 1 game in hand with 5 games to go, or 7th if Man Utd/West Ham win the Cup and finish top-6.

If any one of the above happens, a Cypriot team ranked above us will enter a round later.

If we get one from each competition, a Lech Poznan Cup win would be another team ranked above Hearts moving out of the 2nd qualifying round.

So, 10 out of 27 now required.

Israel [x2]
[1] Maccabi Tel Aviv to win the league, currently 2nd, 1 point behind, 5 games to go. Last game 20th May.
[2] Maccabi Haifa to not win the Cup AND they must finish outside the top-3 or if Maccabi Tel Aviv win the Cup, they must finish outside the top-4, currently 5th, 2 points behind 4th, with 5 games to go. Cup Final date unknown.

Great stuff, Statto.

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Israel_State_Cup, the semi-finals of the Israeli Cup are Wed / Thu of this week, so more updates soon maybe.  Come on ye Hapoel Be'er Sheva!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The good news, all our closest rivals have virtually the same problem with start date. Euro football will really challenge Rangers. For the first time in a long time though, Scotlands top 4 clubs will take to the Euro stage, which is a plus for the nation. Rangers will dodge the first round but the 2 weeks isn't going to make a world of difference, and for Aberdeen to go through this for a 3rd successive season is some sort of torture.

Nobody is going to suggest I am being presumptuous I hope!!

I'll try and post up relevant games so we can follow results.

Today's games (Monday, April 18th);

Denmark

Esbjerg v Midtjylland 6pm kick off

We need SonderjyskE to finish 2nd/3rd or 2nd-4th if the Cup winner finishes top-3. They are 2nd with 8 games to go. Midtjylland are 4th, 4 points behind with 1 game in hand. We want Esbjerg to take something tonight. They are 2nd bottom but have put a run together of 3 wins and 2 draws in their last 5 after a run of 6 losses in 8. Esbjerg have already drawn with Midtjylland at home this season but in their last game, Midtjylland gave them 'the treatment'.

Israel

Beitar Jerusalem v Hapoel Ra'anana 6.30pm kick off

We need Maccabi Haifa to finish outside the top 3 (and not win the cup) or outside the top-4 if the Cup winner finishes top-3. They're currently 5th, 2 points behind 4th. The current 4th place face Maccabi Haifa in one Semi Final. If Beitar win, Haifa cannot finish in the top-3. If Hapoel Ba'anana win, they move above Haifa into 5th with 5 games to go. It would probably be better if Hapoel Ba'anana win but it's not vital.

Romania

Viitorul v Pandurii 6.30pm kick off

If Steaua or Dinamo Bucharest win the Cup (Semi final opponents), we want Viitorul (or Targu Mures - 6th) to finish 5th. Pandurii are currently 4th, they can go 9 clear of Viitorul with only 3 games to go with a win tonight. They will have a 10 goals better difference so more or less guaranteed. We'd just be waiting on the Cup Final result. A draw isn't a disaster but we'd prefer an away win.

The Danish game will be streamed live on bet365 if you have an account.

Israel

We need Maccabi Haifa to finish outside the top 3 (and not win the cup) or outside the top-4 if the Cup winner finishes top-3. They're currently 5th, 2 points behind 4th. The current 4th place face Maccabi Haifa in one Semi Final. If Beitar win, Haifa cannot finish in the top-3. If Hapoel Ba'anana win, they move above Haifa into 5th with 5 games to go. It would probably be better if Hapoel Ba'anana win but it's not vital.

Now you're just altering names and making up funny team names!!!  Hapoel Ra'anana, not Banana.

Next it'll be Apple Nicosia

Now you're just altering names and making up funny team names!!!  Hapoel Ra'anana, not Banana.

Next it'll be Apple Nicosia

Mancherryster United.

Love threads like this.

Can't wait will we get a list of teams and their coefficient rankings to see who needs to knock out who so we can be seeded in the 3rd round

We'll probably need every seeded team to be knocked out however

I'll try and post up relevant games so we can follow results.

Today's games (Monday, April 18th);

Denmark

Esbjerg v Midtjylland 6pm kick off

We need SonderjyskE to finish 2nd/3rd or 2nd-4th if the Cup winner finishes top-3. They are 2nd with 8 games to go. Midtjylland are 4th, 4 points behind with 1 game in hand. We want Esbjerg to take something tonight. They are 2nd bottom but have put a run together of 3 wins and 2 draws in their last 5 after a run of 6 losses in 8. Esbjerg have already drawn with Midtjylland at home this season but in their last game, Midtjylland gave them 'the treatment'.

Israel

Romania

Viitorul v Pandurii 6.30pm kick off

If Steaua or Dinamo Bucharest win the Cup (Semi final opponents), we want Viitorul (or Targu Mures - 6th) to finish 5th. Pandurii are currently 4th, they can go 9 clear of Viitorul with only 3 games to go with a win tonight. They will have a 10 goals better difference so more or less guaranteed. We'd just be waiting on the Cup Final result. A draw isn't a disaster but we'd prefer an away win.

The Danish game will be streamed live on bet365 if you have an account.

Phenomenal. I barely understood the previous posts but this I can get on board with!

Come on the bananahammocks!

Best thread on here by a country mile.

Will follow this, and hopefully contribute, as things develop and potential seedings become clearer.

Hopefully it won't go pear-shaped !

Coat.....already......?

Esbjerg v Midtjylland 0-2 FT

Beitar Jerusalem v Hapoel Ra'anana 1-0 FT

Viitorul v Pandurii 0-2 FT

Only 1 of the 3 results going out way tonight.

no need - it was a reasonable point you made

Cool.

Anyway, back on topic...looks like a mixed bag of results tonight.

6.100 co-efficient points was the cut off for seeding in QR2 this season and we have 6.460 so we should make it.

10.375 was the cut off for QR3 and 12.276 was the cut off for QR4 - so we won't make that next season but there is a possibility of getting there if we qualify for Europe every season in the 5 year cycle.

Esbjerg v Midtjylland 0-2 FT

Beitar Jerusalem v Hapoel Ra'anana 1-0 FT

Viitorul v Pandurii 0-2 FT

Only 1 of the 3 results going out way tonight.

So Midtjylland (4th) have closed the gap to SonderjyskE (2nd) to 1 point. Both 3rd and 4th have slightly better goal differences than SonderjyskE, both 1 point behind. Brondby (5th) are now the team we don't want picking up points.

It's not a bad result Beitar winning, Haifa now cannot finish top-3. The big game between Bnei Sakhnin (4th) and Maccabi Haifa (5th) will be played on May 6th. We will want Haifa to finish outside the top-4. We still need Haifa to not win the Cup.

The Romanian result was perfect. Barring a miracle run of results, we just need either Steaua Bucharest or Dinamo Bucharest to win the Romanian Cup, they play their Semi Final 2nd leg tomorrow. 0-0 after the 1st leg.

The good news, all our closest rivals have virtually the same problem with start date. Euro football will really challenge Rangers. For the first time in a long time though, Scotlands top 4 clubs will take to the Euro stage, which is a plus for the nation. Rangers will dodge the first round but the 2 weeks isn't going to make a world of difference, and for Aberdeen to go through this for a 3rd successive season is some sort of torture.

Nobody is going to suggest I am being presumptuous I hope!!

Heh heh--just cautiously, if realistically, optimistic!

Today's games, Tuesday 19th April

Austria

Admira v St Polten, Cup Semi final, 5pm kick off

We need Admira to not win the cup plus them to finish 2nd/3rd or 4th depending on the Cup winner. St Polten to win tonight.

Croatia

Nk Zagreb v Rnk Split, 4pm kick off

We need Lokomotiva to finish 2nd/3rd of 4th depending on the Cup winner. They're currently 4th, 2 ahead of Split in 5th with 5 to go. Zagreb to win tonight would be good but they're bottom of the league so I'm not expecting much.

Slovakia

Trencin v Ruzomberoc, 4pm kick off

We need Slovan Bratislava to win the league, Trencin are currently top, 6 clear with 6 to play. We also need Spartak Trnava to finish outside the top-4, they're 5th, 1 point behind 4th, 2 points ahead of 6th place Ruzomberoc. A Ruzomberoc win would be huge for both of these.

Genuine question - Doo they meet fair play and accounting requirements in order to be admitted to European competition?

Genuine question - Doo they meet fair play and accounting requirements in order to be admitted to European competition?

I'm sure they can play in Europe now.

They were given a ban in 2011 after they failed to publish audited accounts. This season would have been the first since then, that they could have played if they had qualified.

I don't know when accounts are published. When they are, we'll find out whether they have complied with the financial fair play rules.

That would be a great result if Zagreb hold on, under 15 minutes to go.

Lokomotiva have a difficult game tomorrow night away to Hadjuk Split. Hopefully they can capitalise on any Rnk Split dropped points this evening.

Archived