JohnB

Livvyjambo

[emoji38] I just checked - he got a one year extension to 2020, his previous one ran til 2019.

Maybe you should just give up now and admit it's not going well

So he's got 4 yrs left then probably 2 mill in basic salary not bad eh

I have no problem with the fact we don't fancy him but at that price we sold it short. Why did we not go to tribunal

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What impact will watching that game have on a discussion about a player who didn't even play in that game.

Our midfield is poor to average and needs massive improvement as it's a problem area. What does that have to do with this subject though?

What I'm driving at is people being mistakenly smug about Holt's perceived lack of ability based on yesterday's game.

Yet on the evidence of said game against the same unwashed opposition he could easily walk into our midfield.

People have extremely short memories and our midfield were hopelessly outfought and outhought in the cup this year. So again it's basically about people in glass houses.

Unknown user

So he's got 4 yrs left then probably 2 mill in basic salary not bad eh

I have no problem with the fact we don't fancy him but at that price we sold it short. Why did we not go to tribunal

A 1 year extension, not the 3 year extension you were using to justify calling me blinkered though eh?

To answer your question, maybe they wanted to be reasonable to help out a guy who'd been with the club a long time.

Unknown user

What I'm driving at is people being mistakenly smug about Holt's perceived lack of ability based on yesterday's game.

Yet on the evidence of said game against the same unwashed opposition he could easily walk into our midfield.

People have extremely short memories and our midfield were hopelessly outfought and outhought in the cup this year. So again it's basically about people in glass houses.

I don't think anyone's ever said holt lacks ability.

People say he's not good enough at football to play in a decent premier league team.

Holt has ability, I'm sure we can all see that, but having ability and being an effective top league midfielder are not the same thing

I don't think anyone's ever said holt lacks ability.

People say he's not good enough at football to play in a decent premier league team.

Holt has ability, I'm sure we can all see that, but having ability and being an effective top league midfielder are not the same thing

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

My point is that several of our midfielders may very well fall under that same category.

Unknown user

My point is that several of our midfielders may very well fall under that same category.

Having just finished third I'd probably disagree there

So what?

This thread is about Jason Holt. Just because other players may be no better (I disagree on that btw) it doesn't suddenly make Holt a great loss. He is still not good enough and we won't miss him.

So what?

This thread is about Jason Holt. Just because other players may be no better (I disagree on that btw) it doesn't suddenly make Holt a great loss. He is still not good enough and we won't miss him.

Depending on this summer's recruitment I hope and think you probably will be right. As for the season past I think Holt would have easily for a game for us, particularly when Walker was injured, and he certainly wouldn't have been any worse than what we had.

As for 3rd, it will be an achievement next season. Last season it was meh, to say the least. I mean the Hobos have already qualified further in Europe than we have, that token means absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned in such a poor league.

i wish jj was my dad

Because the ethos at our club is that they won't stand in people's way if they want to move. We could have held out for a quarter of a million and stunted the development of a decent young laddie who wouldn't be a regular with us but would be a first pick for a lower division club but this regime is bigger and better than that.

The new club get a decent player, he gets first team football and we use the money we saved to sign Djoum who is a better player. Everybody wins.

Livvyjambo

A 1 year extension, not the 3 year extension you were using to justify calling me blinkered though eh?

To answer your question, maybe they wanted to be reasonable to help out a guy who'd been with the club a long time.

Not sure we were in a position to throw away a potential 200k. Let's hope they are not so generous when players leave in the coming weeks

Unknown user

Not sure we were in a position to throw away a potential 200k. Let's hope they are not so generous when players leave in the coming weeks

I don't know, a reputation for not standing in players' way when they're not really needed won't do us any harm at all when recruiting.

Because the ethos at our club is that they won't stand in people's way if they want to move. We could have held out for a quarter of a million and stunted the development of a decent young laddie who wouldn't be a regular with us but would be a first pick for a lower division club but this regime is bigger and better than that.

The new club get a decent player, he gets first team football and we use the money we saved to sign Djoum who is a better player. Everybody wins.

All that's fair enough, and you're right about Djoum. But not a regular start? He's better than Buaben, surely that's not a point people are making? He would have featured in most of our games but wanted away so it's fair enough he was allowed to do so, I want guys who to play for the jersey and he didn't.

Livvyjambo

I don't know, a reputation for not standing in players' way when they're not really needed won't do us any harm at all when recruiting.

But that's a 360 turn in our ethos surely. Is it not to nurture ,develop, improve and sell for the highest amount possible then reinvest .Be assured this decision was taken by Levein and Holt's form since leaving has posed him some questions from the powers that be on the price tag

i wish jj was my dad

All that's fair enough, and you're right about Djoum. But not a regular start? He's better than Buaben, surely that's not a point people are making? He would have featured in most of our games but wanted away so it's fair enough he was allowed to do so, I want guys who to play for the jersey and he didn't.

To be honest Prince offers a lot more than Holt IMO. He's played in just about every position at some point and seems to dominate games far better than Holt.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have home grown players starting every week but I'm more concerned that we put the best team out on the park.

Unknown user

But that's a 360 turn in our ethos surely. Is it not to nurture ,develop, improve and sell for the highest amount possible then reinvest .Be assured this decision was taken by Levein and Holt's form since leaving has posed him some questions from the powers that be on the price tag

No, we want to develop and sell good players, like Sow.

Players who aren't making the grade, like Holt, aren't having obstacles put in the way.

So still going in the same direction then. 

:stuart:

Walter Bishop

Anyone still think Holt is a superstar? Warburton clearly doesnt, first Rossiter and now Barton signed. Holt will be on the bench most weeks next season. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Having a bad game in the cup final does not make you a bad footballer, i still think Holt will mature into a top midfielder. Some are forgetting the boy is still only 21 or 22 even though he has been around for 4 or 5 seasons.

Having said that I don't think he would get a game for us and I don't think he will get a game for rangers. I think he would be well advised to get in at a club in league 1 down south if at all possible, if he stays at rangers he will rot as with many good young players before him.

We_are_the_Hearts

Having a bad game in the cup final does not make you a bad footballer, i still think Holt will mature into a top midfielder. Some are forgetting the boy is still only 21 or 22 even though he has been around for 4 or 5 seasons.

Having said that I don't think he would get a game for us and I don't think he will get a game for rangers. I think he would be well advised to get in at a club in league 1 down south if at all possible, if he stays at rangers he will rot as with many good young players before him.

He's 23

Unknown user

If he's not good enough to get a game for us at 23 I'd question how likely it is that he'll become a top midfielder. I don't see it.

Too lightweight , can't tackle , not good in the air

A championship player and will be lucky to get into double figures for appearances next year .

Holt was probably the only player released by Hearts who I thought was just as good as what we had.

That being said, he wanted to play more and Hearts have done well by all the players who felt they wanted more game time. In fact, Hearts have been very gracious in not standing in the way of players who wanted more game time.

Be interesting to see how he figures in the top-flight next season.

Holt was probably the only player released by Hearts who I thought was just as good as what we had.

That being said, he wanted to play more and Hearts have done well by all the players who felt they wanted more game time. In fact, Hearts have been very gracious in not standing in the way of players who wanted more game time.

Be interesting to see how he figures in the top-flight next season.

You're right at the time he was probably as good as what we had when it comes to easy games where he wouldn't be required to get stuck in or suffer a few rough challenges, soon as a game goes against him or he's forced into doing some dirty work he is anonymous. Since then Pallardo is gone, Gomis is gone/going, Buaben has stepped up his game 10 fold and Kitchen, Djoum and Cowie have came in. Add in Walker playing a more central role also.

Point being that Holt would not get anywhere near our midfield with everyone fully fit as it is now.

We_are_the_Hearts

Be interesting to see how he figures in the top-flight next season.

But he wasn't released, he didn't sign the offered contract. But that's been done to death so best not to go there. Saturday proved what a lot of us have thought, up to him to prove us wrong

WeeToonJambo

Too lightweight , can't tackle , not good in the air

A championship player and will be lucky to get into double figures for appearances next year .

I always thought he was lightweight but I saw him today in Glasgow city centre and he looked taller and stronger than I remember him.

Unknown user

I always thought he was lightweight but I saw him today in Glasgow city centre and he looked taller and stronger than I remember him.

5 ft 6, how tall did he look?

WeeToonJambo

5 ft 6, how tall did he look?

He looked taller but I wouldn't argue with that.  He looked extremely fit (in the correct sense of the word I hasten to add), but I suppose he should as a professional footballer.

Jambof3tornado

If he gets a chance to play alongside Barton it could be the making of him having such an experienced top level professional to guide him on.

We_are_the_Hearts

If he gets a chance to play alongside Barton it could be the making of him having such an experienced top level professional to guide him on.

Would imagine he will be behind Barton, Halliday and Rossiter in the pecking order next season..............

Livvyjambo

Would imagine he will be behind Barton, Halliday and Rossiter in the pecking order next season..............

Not when they sign Niko Kranjcar although warburton seems to rotate plenty and believes n keeping players fresh , if I'm right he calls it loading

Not when they sign Niko Kranjcar although warburton seems to rotate plenty and believes n keeping players fresh , if I'm right he calls it loading

He'd get murdered on here for tinkering.

Livvyjambo

He'd get murdered on here for tinkering.

If Robbie tinkered a bit more with some thoughts on loading he would have gave Nicholson a break. Instead he hammered him and the lad never came through it and lost confidence . Now seems half of Tynie want rid of a talented player. Poor

upgotheheads

A lot of interest on here about a Rangers player, strangely.

socrates82

I think with Gomis, Walker and Pallardo injured or off form earlier this season he would have got more game time. However he's not as good defensively as Kitchen, not as good in attack and in general as Djoum and not as good a No. 10/attacking mid as Walker. And Bauben came onto a very good season when Djoum arrived. I think Holt would still be back up if he was with us.

He had chances during our Championship season to establish himself but never made the impact the midfielders others midfielders did, apart from fleeting moments in games. I do think he'd be worth still having in the squad but he obviously thinks he's better than a squad player which is fair enough. he might have trouble holding down a place when Rangers start signing midfielders though.

• 3 months later...

Is wee Holty injured just now? Not seen him mentioned much recently.

He was injured but that's not the whole story. He's currently about 5th choice as well and he'll need to battle his way back into contention if he wants to make a further career at Rangers.

Thankfully for him Barton and Kranjcar are every bit as broken as I thought they were.

He was injured but that's not the whole story. He's currently about 5th choice as well and he'll need to battle his way back into contention if he wants to make a further career at Rangers.

Thankfully for him Barton and Kranjcar are every bit as broken as I thought they were.

He will be wanting games I am sure. Did he not turn down the offer of a new contract here because he wanted to play week in and week out? Must be frustrating for him. Hopefully his injury clears up soon and he gets some more games.

Jamboscanbevicius

Decent wee player for SPFL but if RIPFC have any aspirations of a title challenge it won't be by playing JH in the centre of the park regularly!

He will be wanting games I am sure. Did he not turn down the offer of a new contract here because he wanted to play week in and week out? Must be frustrating for him. Hopefully his injury clears up soon and he gets some more games.

Rangers was a daft move. Motherwell, Dundee, ICT type club, play every week, build a career anfmd reputation. Walk before run. But so many kids want the 'big' move too soon.

Really like him as a player and think he still has something to offer but its all a bit Scott Allan close to money where ur mouth is type scenario for the lad. Needs to prove it soon.

Decent wee player for SPFL but if RIPFC have any aspirations of a title challenge it won't be by playing JH in the centre of the park regularly!

Maybe get more starts at ICT or somewhere.

Edit: What Big Roy said above ^^^^

Holt will cost Rangers a fortune and give them very little in return....not because he isn't willing but because they won't give him much more game time.

Well a player who wanted to move

Behind other players at Hearts in Championship. Now behind other players at Rangers in Premiership.

Move to Hibs in January?

Jamboscanbevicius

Totally agree... a mid table SPFL side where he is first choice would be a good move for him. Suppose he got regular games in the Championship but probably everyone (except JH himself) could have predicted that he would end up on the bench after promotion!

Difficult to blame him for this, as he needs to believe that he's good enough... I'm just not sure he is!

Totally agree... a mid table SPFL side where he is first choice would be a good move for him. Suppose he got regular games in the Championship but probably everyone (except JH himself) could have predicted that he would end up on the bench after promotion!

Difficult to blame him for this, as he needs to believe that he's good enough... I'm just not sure he is!

Maybe whoever represents him should have advised him of this? If the reason he left was down to game time then Rangers was never going to be the cleverest move. Maybe it was all just down to money in the end?

Jamboscanbevicius

Agents only think about the next move and the next payday in dispensing advice unfortunately. If and when JH moves again the agent will get another slice!

Agents only think about the next move and the next payday in dispensing advice unfortunately. If and when JH moves again the agent will get another slice!

Shame that though. Maybe it's about time they had people representing their interests at a career development level as well as financial. Seems to me like a few players could have found a better balance of the two in recent years. It's great having someone help you make lots of money, but surely a bit more advice about development would come in handy too.

5th choice? This can't be right. Our Phoodle hating friends insist that letting him go was a huge, huge mistake and that he's a truly great player.

Anyway, all this is pretty academic if he is just injured. I hope he gets the games he craves once he returns from injury.

Archived